• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Help Me Help The TMF!!!!!!!!

Rasputin

TMF Expert
This a technically oriented question:

I have a great clip I haven't seen anywhere else!!! In celebration of my 50th post, I wanted to share it with the TMF.

Problems:

1. It is on videotape.

2. I lack the technical and legal knowledge, not to mention I don't have the software or hardware to convert it to an RM or Mpeg format.

Is there a way I can get this to a moderator who does have the talent/infrastructure? Also I want to make sure I'm not infringing on any copyrights (It's NOT a Paradise Vision clip)Again, this is a great clip. I've been looking at assorted ticking sites for probably four years, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

Help me help you!!!

Rasputin

P.S. I'm changing my Profile so I can receive e-mails from Mods.

There are folks out there who can do such. Not sure if any of the mods can, though I think DVNC did such for people at one point. I might be wrong though.

I hope you have a good place linned up to post the clip. A clip of any length posted to the forum can generate several Gigs of bandwidth in a day.

Myriads

Myriads said:
I hope you have a good place linned up to post the clip. A clip of any length posted to the forum can generate several Gigs of bandwidth in a day.

HUH????

Gig what? Bandwidth what?

I am completely clueless as to all of the more advanced technical jargon. And the place I had lined up to post it was the Video Clips section of the TMF. Can't members post clips there?

Help me see the light, Myriads? There must be something that I am not getting, which is no big surprise!:D

Rasputin

Before you can post an image or clip on the TMF, you need to have the image/clip uploaded to someplace on the web that the forum can connect to.

That is called linkable web space. The forum offers only a place to link images/clips TO, not a place to put them.

Now everytime you open a web page, images appear on your computer screen sitting on your desk at home (or work if you are slacking :) Those images have to be moved from where they are stored on the web, to your screen for display. As they are moved they use up something called bandwidth. This 'bandwidth' is in reality a measure of how much information is being moved from a server (where the info is stored) across the web's data structure (phone lines, switching nets, etc) to an end point. It's not unlike the idea of water (data) flowing through a pipe (the web) being metered (bandwidth).

For the people who own (or rent space on) the servers where the data starts out at, it costs money to have access to the web to send that data out. The point that your data-send amount (bandwidth) is measured is the point where your data leaves the place it's stored and moves onto the web. The more people who look at your web page, the more times the images are called on, and the more bandwidth used. On the web, the more successful you are, the more it costs to keep your page up. All because of bandwidth.

A gig (Gigabyte) is a measure of size. representing a files size or amount fo bandwidth. It's a big number.

Hope this helped

Myriads

"Now I see", said the blind man!!!!

Wow, that was a very good way of describing those terms so an Internet dummy can understand!!!

You obviously have an in-depth knowledge of the net.

So the problem actually lies within finding a place to get the clip to on the web....not actually getting it from video to mpeg/rm.

I can't just get it in a format and post it to here.

At least my heart was in the right place.
Of course the road to Hell was paved with good intentions.
:firedevil

Rasputin

Rasputin,

Yes, you have gotten your mind wrapped about the problem correctly. Linkable webspace that doesn't go away due to bandwidth drain is hard to come by. The best options these days are often the free space you get when you pay for your internet access, both AOL and Earthlink offer a good bit of space, and a pretty decent bandwidth allowance. Though a clip can shut down an Earthling account too.

Transfering a video tape to computer involves having a video capture card or special program and hookups. Once one has the equipmant it's not too bad a job, just a matter of time, and a computer with a good amount of memory and disk space.

Take care,
Myriads

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back