• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Does it get easier with time?

Lauren Tyler

1st Level Red Feather
I've learned to sketch a basic face from my book, but when I tried to do another one, I had trouble. I take it this is normal as I try new things at first? Will I get better the more I vary, and new things won't be as hard for me?

Also, drawing a face/body with all those lines seems a bit confusing, yet copying the actual drawing doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions on how I can learn to walk with guidelines?

It will get easier with time and more practice. Make sure you draw the guidelines and the 1st steps lightly so you can easily erase the mistakes you make.

I understand that, rajee, it's just I have trouble drawing lightly at times. Maybe I should try holding my pencil a different way?

I've learned to sketch a basic face from my book, but when I tried to do another one, I had trouble. I take it this is normal as I try new things at first? Will I get better the more I vary, and new things won't be as hard for me?

Also, drawing a face/body with all those lines seems a bit confusing, yet copying the actual drawing doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions on how I can learn to walk with guidelines?

It's definitely normal to have difficulty maintaining consistent results, especially at the beginning. The key, as with many things, is practice. It may sound trite but there really is no other way to make progress. It sounds like you're off to a very good start! As for "learning to walk", in general I would definitely suggest boning up on anatomy. Drawing from source pictures can be extremely useful (especially if it's aimed at studying a particular style, body type, facial expression, etc.), but having a solid understanding of how the skeletal and muscular systems interact will be priceless when you're trying to put a particular pose or scene to paper. Of course, there's no need to go out and get an anatomy text; even though such a book may be very helpful, there are plenty of resources at your disposal that are free to use, including Google Images and, of course, your own body!

As for holding your pencil, I don't know that there's a "proper" way to do so; I've seen some artists hold their tools in ways that look painful to me, but their results are fabulous nonetheless. Drawing lightly and precisely can also be chalked up to practice, so don't worry! Just make sure to keep the point sharpened (unless you want it blunt for a reason) and use good vinyl and/or gum erasers.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Best,
~Syn

You're right, I've got to keep practicing. I was really hoping to have made progress for this holiday season, since I had a great idea for a holiday themed 'cross-collaboration' project involving myself and several other artists, it's just that since I can't draw, I don't know if I should throw it out.

You're right, I've got to keep practicing. I was really hoping to have made progress for this holiday season, since I had a great idea for a holiday themed 'cross-collaboration' project involving myself and several other artists, it's just that since I can't draw, I don't know if I should throw it out.

I'd say Go for it! Experience is the best teacher, and collaboration is key to a successful community.

~Syn

I agree with Synful Pryde. Go for it.

Where do you hold the pencil? Experiment with holding it in different places on the pencil. I hold my pencils above the shaved part.

Good luck and go for it.

:veryhappy

Just like anything else. My Poser art took years to get right.

Yeah, you're right. But what I really want to do is this cross-collaboration project that I had the inspiration for while listening to Band-Aid's famous tune. (Yeah I put it on my iPod because I was strapped for choices! XD)

I was thinking maybe either the artists involved would put their online persona into one big Christmas picture, like in a large room with a Christmas tree, or alternatively each of them puts one of their OCs into it. Either way, I don't think it will get off the ground.

I was thinking maybe either the artists involved would put their online persona into one big Christmas picture, like in a large room with a Christmas tree, or alternatively each of them puts one of their OCs into it.
That sounds like a really nice idea to me. I have a feeling that many of the community artists would have fun with it! I'm not sure how many read this subforum, though, so private messages may be your best bet.

Best of luck with the project! Keep us updated.

~Syn

For what it's worth, I'm a professional artist by trade (I've worked with clients such as Disney and Universal, so I'm not bs-ing you), and I wanted to say that drawing the human figure well is one of the most complex, difficult things you can learn. There are ways a lot of people fake it, but to get accurate proportions, complete with correct perspective as well as personality and attitude... well, let's just say you aren't the first person banging your head against the wall on this.

The best thing you can do is just draw from life as much as possible, even if it means sketching people out of magazines and newspapers. You'll start to notice similarities from face to face, as well as what muscles and bones drive which movements and expressions. There's also a really good book that's available called "Basic Drawing Techniqes" by Greg Albert. You might want to track it down if you haven't already. Best of luck.

Synful: I know the idea is good, but if I can't draw it, then it doesn't seem fair to share it, since it's my idea and I shouldn't force someone else to draw it, unless you think it's OK?

loki: Is that still for sale? Do you have a price range?

I know the idea is good, but if I can't draw it, then it doesn't seem fair to share it, since it's my idea and I shouldn't force someone else to draw it, unless you think it's OK?
Are you unsure about being able to set up the empty scene for others to add their persona/character to, or including your own contribution? Or something else?

~Syn

For what it's worth, I'm a professional artist by trade (I've worked with clients such as Disney and Universal, so I'm not bs-ing you), and I wanted to say that drawing the human figure well is one of the most complex, difficult things you can learn. There are ways a lot of people fake it, but to get accurate proportions, complete with correct perspective as well as personality and attitude... well, let's just say you aren't the first person banging your head against the wall on this.

The best thing you can do is just draw from life as much as possible, even if it means sketching people out of magazines and newspapers. You'll start to notice similarities from face to face, as well as what muscles and bones drive which movements and expressions. There's also a really good book that's available called "Basic Drawing Techniqes" by Greg Albert. You might want to track it down if you haven't already. Best of luck.

^ Well said.

Another suggestion...Buy a nice sketch pad that you can carry anywhere, draw or let someone pose if there's a chance. Draw what you exactly see and not what the mind thinks. Do not sleep without doing at least one sketch. It will have milestone, just be patient.

Are you unsure about being able to set up the empty scene for others to add their persona/character to, or including your own contribution? Or something else?

~Syn

Well, I could probably try setting up a basic empty scene, it's just I suck with PhotoShop, and being able to draw my persona/character wouldn't be very easy.

Just wanted to add my two cents quickly and say that in my opinion... it never really gets easier, but it does get to be more fun.

I always try to push myself with each new illo. And sometimes pushing yourself can be tough. But with each pic I feel like I am getting a wee bit better, and that is fun fun FUN!

There are a lot of amazing artists on this forum that have already thrown in their advice and I agree with everything they have said. I would say the first rules for growing as an artist are:

1) Draw all the time. Seriously. ALLLLLLLL the time you can.

2) Use reference. All the reference you can. Body reference, hair reference, background, landscape, etc etc etc. Everytime you read a magazine or see another pic you like, print it out, tear it out and save it as reference.

3) Challenge yourself, but don't judge yourself. Try to push harder with every new pic, but don't kick yourself if you make some bad pics on the way. Bill Watterson once said that for every good pic he made there were 20 bad pics that had to happen first.

4) Take feedback. Even if it hurts. It will make ya better. The artists that don't WANT any constructive criticism are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

5) Enjoy it. Some of the greatest art in creation derives its greatness, not from the skill with which it was rendered, but from the passion and fun and life that has been infused into it.

Good luck - and I hope to see some of the pics soon.

Post 'em - even if you don't ike em. It's god for you ^^

I'm gonna go draw now ;P

B

Bandito is right.

For my part, I definitely agree; it doesn't really get easier ... but you DO get better at it the more you do. And then as you improve, new challenges jump up at you ... mostly ones that your improved skills will create.

~FTKL

I agree with B 112% :D

the more and more you draw, the more things you'll pick up as you go along. Back in 2005 i started by drawing portraits, pretty much what i did was grid out a series of lines on a page and put the same lines to scale on the reference picture, and i would use that to get the proportions perfect before i started shading. After a couple dozen portraits later i started to notice some trends in lines on certain places like the eyes and the amount of space for the nose and mouth. I was able to draw a face by myself. By that time it was 87 portraits later!

Figures are highly represented for being the hardest thing to get just right, and for good reason! there's so many different body types and subtle things to show expression, it's no wonder why they can be so effective yet easily screwed up if you're not careful. My advice is, to draw from life!

A really good point was made above, get some friends to pose for you, or if you can't find someone willing to stand still for a while, flip through a magazine. My life drawing class taught me so much about how to draw the human figure, the key is to keep your strokes loose and to just lock down the basic shapes before you go back and start filling in the accurate contour lines. Really soon i'm going to make a tutorial to help anyone who needs help drawing the human figure to get started.

There is no right way to hold your tool, just do whatever is comfortable with you :D !

What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back