• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Thread deletion.

Fire_Sprite

2nd Level Red Feather
Why is the final say in whether or not a thread is deleted left entirely up to the person who made it? They obviously have a stake in it, but once you have over a dozen people weighing in on a topic then the discussion belongs to the entire community. A person has plenty of time to think about how they make a thread but I don't see any reason why they should "own" everything that's said in it.

The call is made by me and staff.

Usualy if I feel a thread has value to the community it stays even if the OP wants it removed. The contributions of the posters shift the 'ownership' of a thread over time by adding value. This is why members are not allowed to delete posts that are thread starters, as it would vanish all replies also.

Sometimes a thread gets to be such a mess that even with value in it, its removal is simply the best option.

Myriads

some of my sillier threads were removed of necessity.
I am constantly amazed that so many of my silly threads have been allowed to remain:omnomnom:

Why is the final say in whether or not a thread is deleted left entirely up to the person who made it? They obviously have a stake in it, but once you have over a dozen people weighing in on a topic then the discussion belongs to the entire community. A person has plenty of time to think about how they make a thread but I don't see any reason why they should "own" everything that's said in it.

I don't see that a thread can be deleted once replies are made by the original poster. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, the OP can edit it, but not delete the whole thread...I think?

update.
yes, i see you can, but the instructions leave a big hole, like how to delete!

If you have registered, you will be able to edit and delete your posts. Note that the administrator can disable this ability as he desires. Your ability to edit your posts may also be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.

To edit or delete your posts, click the button by the post you want to edit. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting the post may result in the removal of the entire thread.

After you have made your modifications, a note may appear, which notifies other users that you have edited your post. Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages but this note may not appear when they do so.

No delete button appears, so what modifications?

Anyway, I want to delete my entire "Too bad" thread, since people are still arguing with me 4 days after it settled, so I am now making all my posts blank. Hopefully this will inspire the admin to delete the rest as it will now make absolutely no sense!

Sorry, Idda been happy to just let it rest.

Last edited:
The call is made by me and staff.

Usualy if I feel a thread has value to the community it stays even if the OP wants it removed. The contributions of the posters shift the 'ownership' of a thread over time by adding value. This is why members are not allowed to delete posts that are thread starters, as it would vanish all replies also.

Sometimes a thread gets to be such a mess that even with value in it, its removal is simply the best option.

Myriads
There should be an option where the OP can delete the thread if there are no replies by others.

Not that my "vote" counts for anything, but having been involved in an extremely long and contentious thread once in another forum (completely unrelated to the topic of this one, much more "mainstream" and "non-adult" in nature), in which an entire extremely long thread was deleted, after months of posting by many members, possibly a year or longer, some, including myself, having spent hours writing very long and carefully composed posts), when the OP apparently accidentally deleted his own first post -- or, that is, either accidentally when attempting to edit it or not realizing that it would delete the entire thread with it, or so he told me in a PM -- an incident which prompted the admin, who felt extremely badly about the thread's deletion, to disable the members' ability to delete their own original posts, I've formed a rather strongly adverse attitude toward what in my view are often relatively "frivolous" deletion of threads, in which any potential problems involved can almost always be addressed in a less extreme or destructive fashion.

Again, not that my opinion matters, but I feel strongly enough about it to state it anyway. Although I have little choice but to accept a moderator's decision in such matters, since people often spend much time and thought in composing their posts, many often spending much more time and effort than the OP him/herself, IMO complete deletion of a thread (as opposed to possibly just locking it) should be an extremely rare occurrence no matter how strongly the OP or other posters may request it.

In fact, the only two situations I can even offhand think of in which I might consider it fully "justified" are either when something is involved which realistically might likely have serious legal consequences, or possibly in cases were someone has either intentionally or inadvertently revealed very personal information about him/herself or others which might seriously compromise someone's safety or privacy -- and even in this latter case, editing of posts might often be a far preferable alternative to deletion of an entire thread. Oh, and of course when an OP is obviously nothing but blatant spam. But, FWIW, anything beyond that is over-moderation, IMHO.

There should be an option where the OP can delete the thread if there are no replies by others.
no way. you never know if it'll get bumped.
That doesn't make sense. If I want to delete a thread I started, obviously I don't care about any future bumping. I just want the thread gone and I should be able to do that if nobody else has any input in it.

Just because no one answered does not make your question any less valid. Perhaps in a year or ten someone will search on a topic and find your post, and learn that others had the same thoughts and quesitons. There is value to posts, replied to or not. It is our policy to perserve posts whenever we can.

Even when a post is removed from the main forum for moderation reasons a copy is kept archived. We don't destroy our history when we can help it.

Myriads

That doesn't make sense. If I want to delete a thread I started, obviously I don't care about any future bumping. I just want the thread gone and I should be able to do that if nobody else has any input in it.

While I don't think there's any "right" (or "wrong") involved here per se, once you've posted your words to some extent they have become "public property" IMO. And claiming a "right" to delete them after posting them might seem analogous to expecting to have the "right" to "take back" your verbally spoken words after you've spoken them -- something which isn't even realistically possible. If you're not sure you're willing to face any possible "consequences" (including "no response") for your words, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting them in the first place.

(In fact, in my opinion too many posts and threads get deleted from this forum by the moderators as it is, even short of allowing more "liberal" "self-deletion" policies. In fact, I believe that this forum is often somewhat "grossly" over-moderated. But of course, that's not my call whether I like it or not.)

What's New

4/16/2024
Clips4Sale is the webs largest site to buy fetish clips! Visit today.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back