• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

“Protector”

Strelnikov

4th Level Red Feather
by Strelnikov
Copyright 2008 by the author

Author’s Note:

This story takes place in Tieson City, but it’s not really a Tickle Street story. Instead, it’s a character study of Sara Rosen and Emily MacDonald.

I like all of my characters, and Emily better than most. But Sara has always been the one I’ve liked the least. That’s because I know her sort: bright and bored, self-centered and willful, Trouble looking for a place to happen. Some of them crash and burn spectacularly. Others lead charmed lives, but the people around them get hammered flat.

But for a few, the Stars align...

***1***

The Saturday tickle-gathering in the meadow broke up gradually. Anne Kincaid, Melissa Gabreski and Angie Fontana left first – they worked at Anne’s family business, the old riverboat Proud Mary, and they would be working a dinner cruise in just a few hours. Brittany Righetti and her cousin Joanna Shaw left soon afterward, with Ashley Curtis, Kelly McGuire and Stephanie Miklajcyk – Brittany had invited everyone to go swimming after the gathering, and the others had agreed to help her with the setup. By rights, Brittany’s sisters Vicky and Veronica should have gone too, but they were... otherwise occupied.

The twins were Mediterranean beauties with very trim and fit bodies, brown eyes, shoulder-length dark hair and dark brows and lashes. As usual, they were in matching outfits – summer tops with spaghetti straps, loose gym shorts and bare feet, the uniform-of-the-day for today’s gathering. They were with Morgan Ernst – she was a work in progress, slender, with curly brown hair and soft brown eyes. In a few years, Sara judged, she would be a rare beauty.

She had a beautiful tickle laugh already. Sara Rosen grinned. Morgan was about to be tickled senseless.

Sara was a risk-taker – even the guys thought she was over-the-top. She was built like Dolly Parton, a small girl with a slender waist and amazing upper body development. She had long dark brown hair, beautiful green eyes, and a fit, toned body. She was bright and restless, willful and a little self-centered, often bored with her mundane middle-class life. Her personality had a bit of an edge, and she delighted in tickle-torturing her friends.

She drifted over toward the three girls – it ought to be fun to watch. Instructive, too, because the twins were Jedi masters of tickling. There was the risk of being tickled herself, of course – she liked that a lot less, but it was OK if it happened to work out that way.

“ –been playing with Brittany and Joanna lately,” Morgan was saying.

“We know,” one twin (Vicky?) said.

“Well, I’m lots more ticklish than they are,” Morgan said. “I could use some help to get ready for the next time.”

“Seems to me you did your share of laughing today,” the other twin (Veronica?) observed.

“No, I mean as a tickler,” Morgan said.

The twins looked at each other, and a silent message passed between them. “We can do that, but it’ll cost you,” Vicky said for both.

“Do I get three guesses what it’s gonna cost?” Morgan asked.

“And the first two don’t count,” Vicky agreed. She laid down on her back and raised both legs, feet upturned. “Grab a foot.”

Morgan took hold of a foot, Veronica took the other. “First thing we’re gonna do is explore,” Veronica said. “Be systematic. You probably know by now what works best on Brittany and Joanna, but there’s a chance you missed a spot. That’s what you’re looking for – most people try to control it, so you have to pay attention.” She held back her twin’s toes and flicked her nail tips on the soft skin underneath. Vicky squirmed like a worm and howled with forced mirth.

“Not bad,” Morgan said, copying Veronica. “She’s pretty ticklish, isn’t she?”

“Yup, just like me,” Veronica said, speeding up – Vicky laughed helplessly, eyes closed, tears streaming down her cheeks. “Now try this,” she instructed, scratching between the little toe and its neighbor. Morgan copied her, and Vicky laughed louder still. “And this.” She slipped her fingers between all of Vicky’s toes, tickling fiendishly – again, Morgan copied her, making Vicky laugh like crazy.

“This is good too,” Veronica said, flicking along the crease in the middle of the sole with a single nail. Morgan did likewise, and got on a place in the arch just behind the sole crease – Vicky went wild, laughing her head off, trying desperately to pull loose.

“How about this?” Morgan said happily, circling her nail tip in the ticklish spot.

“Good for you!” Veronica said, and copied Morgan this time – helpless laughter poured out in a flood.

“Tickling tutorial?” Sara asked.

The ticklers paused, giving Vicky a much-needed break. “Right the first time,” Morgan said. “I’ll pay for it next time Vicky tickles me, but– ”

Vicky bucked violently and tried to kick. “None of that, now!” Veronica scolded, and zig-zagged her nails from the back of the arch onto the heel. Vicky quit struggling and laughed at the top of her lungs, completely overcome by the tickling sensation. “That’s what you do when they try to get loose,” she lectured.

Morgan copied her. “Tickle the sweet spot?” she asked over Vicky’s laughter.

“Yah, assuming you’ve found it,” Veronica said, tickling faster. “That’s why it pays to explore. Right, sis?”

But Vicky was laughing much too hard to answer.

“Now what?” Morgan asked, tickling the sweet spot mercilessly – Vicky laughed with wild abandon.

“Try different patterns,” Veronica answered, switching her tickle target to Vicky’s sole. “This isn’t the best spot, but I like to see her toes twitch.”

“This works pretty good on me,” Morgan said, and circled two nail tips around and on the ball of the foot. Vicky’s laughter went down a notch, but she was still laughing pretty hard. Morgan expanded the circles along the sole crease and across the arch spot, and Vicky laughed her head off.

“There’s nothing to see here,” Emily MacDonald said behind Sara. “Move along.” She was a petite girl with bright coppery red hair done up in little-girl pigtails, jade-green eyes, and very fair skin with a dusting of freckles. She had graduated high school with Sara a few months ago, but she looked all of about 16 yrs old.

“They’re gonna grab you next,” Emily continued. “And you can dish it out, but you can’t take it. Don’t you have any sense?” Dissing me again, Sara thought. Her relationship with Emily – it couldn’t really be called a friendship – was correct and generally cordial but not close. Of all the girls on Tickle Street, Sara knew that Emily liked her the least.

“You gonna let her talk to you like that?” Veronica asked, raising her voice over Vicky’s helpless laughter.

“Not hardly,” Sara said – she pounced on Emily, took her down and sat on her facing aft. She grabbed Emily’s ankles and pulled, wrapped her right leg around Emily’s shins in the figure-four leg lock.

“Hey!” Emily yelled. She squirmed and tried to buck Sara off. “Get OFF me!”

Sara grinned ear to ear. “You need a good tickling,” she said. “And here it comes!” She used a single fingernail to trace a circle around the ball of Emily’s right foot.

“Eep! Hehe! Sta– haha! –ap!” Emily giggled and begged. “HAHAHA-HAHAHA-HAHAHAHAHA!”

Emily laughed helplessly as Sara’s tickling fingernails explored her sensitive soles. Emily howled with forced mirth as Sara held her toes back and tickled the soft skin underneath. Sara tickled the stretched out soles next, side to side, then released the toes and covered Emily’s arches with tiny nail flicks. Emily laughed her head off, helpless to resist the fiendish and well techniqued tickling.

Sara grabbed Emily’s left foot and made a claw of her free hand. Emily laughed at the top of her lungs as Sara raked her nails down the foot, drawing four parallel zig-zag lines and applying just enough pressure to tickle unbearably. Sara repeated the tickle half a dozen times or so, then did the same to Emily’s right foot, forcing wave after wave of helpless laughter. Emily’s fair skin was pink from laughing, tears of laughter ran down her cheeks as she struggled and squirmed. Then two-handed tickling on both soles – Emily’s toes twitched and curled as she laughed and laughed. Sara speeded up, tickling in Emily’s arches, and tickled Emily’s breath away.

Sara dismounted and stood up. “That was fun. Did you enjoy it as much as I did?” she asked sweetly. She glanced over at the other three girls –Morgan was finishing a hogtie on Veronica while Vicky watched.

“As... you... said... ” Emily said breathlessly. She took a deep breath. “Not hardly.”

“Now show me what you’ve learned,” Veronica said to Morgan. “AH-HAHAHA! HAHA-HAHAHAHAHA!” she laughed as Morgan tickled between both little toes and their neighbors. Morgan speeded up, tickling the soles two-handed, and Veronica laughed like mad, squirming and trying to pull her feet away.

Amanda Mason came over with Rachel Griffin. “Got Emily again, I see,” Amanda said – she was a little cutie with dark hair, brown eyes and long, dark lashes, an inch or so over 5 ft tall. Rachel was 25 or so, with a crooked grin, fit body, and the same coloring as Emily. Odd how much alike they looked, thought Sara – they couldn’t possibly be related, yet Emily looked like Rachel’s kid sister.

“She had it coming, for dissing me,” Sara said.

“Probably talking sense to you, but you wouldn’t know the difference,” Rachel said. She offered Emily a hand-up. “C’mon, Emily, let’s go.”

Sara scanned the meadow. Nearby, Veronica was laughing wildly, helplessly, the happy result of tickling fingernails on ticklish feet. Vicky stood by, giving Morgan helpful suggestions – Morgan spider-walked her nail tips in Veronica’s back arches, flicking onto the heels behind, and Veronica’s laughter went off the charts.

Across the meadow, Candice Wade had her sister Nicole hogtied, tickling the upturned soles with verve and gusto. There could be no doubt they were sisters – Candice was a little shorter than Nicole, and her hair was ash blonde instead of Nicole’s golden hue, but they shared the same bright blue eyes and delicate features. Nicole’s tickle laugh even sounded like Candice’s – Sara had tickled both of them often enough to know.

Further off, under a big willow beside the stream, Tiffany Kilpatrick was on her tummy, hands tied behind her back – Meghan Meyer had her ankles trapped in a leg lock, well-manicured nails roaming Tiffany’s ticklish soles. Meghan was a tiny girl, just 4 ft 11 in tall in her bare feet, with strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes and freckled fair skin – Tiffany was a cute blue-eyed brunette with a great figure, a summer tan and a mezzo tickle laugh that harmonized sweetly with Veronica’s contralto and Nicole’s sweet soprano.

But that was it – the rest were gone.

“Looks like everybody’s leaving, not just those two,” Sara said.

“Maybe we should, too,” Amanda said. “Gonna come swimming?”

Sara grinned wickedly. “All those ticklish feet? Of course I am!”

Amanda grinned back. “Me too. You can start by tickling mine.”

They crossed the meadow to Owl Creek. Tiffany was laughing harder now, red-faced and sweaty. “Poor Tiffany!” Sara said insincerely as they passed by. “Why don’t you pick on someone your own size, Meghan?”

“She’s not complaining,” Meghan said. Of course not – Tiffany was helpless, all she could do was laugh.

“GET HER!” Sara yelled, and jumped Meghan. Amanda piled on – they wrestled Meghan onto her tummy. Sara sat on her and tied her hands behind her back, Amanda tied her ankles together. Sara dismounted and completed the hogtie, while Amanda did the same to Tiffany.

“What... now... ” Tiffany said breathlessly, though she knew the answer.

“Second verse – same as the first!” Amanda said, and kneeled near Tiffany’s trapped feet.

“And as for you,” Sara said, kneeling by Meghan’s. “You get to sing a duet with Tiffany.” She made a Peace sign and scratched zig-zag lines down the creases in the middle of Meghan’s soles. Meghan arched her back and laughed like a madwoman. Sara drew fast, looping figure-eight’s around the balls of Meghan’s feet, tickling like crazy. The loops got smaller, faster, covering every square inch of ticklish flesh. Meghan laughed her head off, tickled pink, completely overcome by the fiendish tickling.

Sara glanced over at Amanda and Tiffany. Amanda tickled side to side under Tiffany’s toes while helpless laughter streamed from her victim. She released Tiffany’s toes to tickle her arches and heels. Then holding the toes back again, she tickled the stretched out soles mercilessly. Tiffany laughed with wild abandon, tears of laughter streaming down her cheeks.

Sara guitar-chorded Meghan’s arches, getting great reactions and a flood of helpless laughter. She tickled Meghan’s arches and heels two handed, then held back her toes and tickled the soft skin underneath. Still holding the toes back, she tickled both stretched out soles, left-right-and-repeat, lingering on the soles and balls of Meghan’s feet where it tickled unbearably. Meghan wasn’t pink any more, her face had turned red from laughing.

“Nice color,” Amanda said approvingly. “Let’s see if I can do the same to Tiffany.” She picked up the pace, tickling the back arches and heels and driving Tiffany to the edge of madness.

Both ticklees laughed at the top of their lungs, sweaty and red-faced. Tiffany lost it first and laughed herself breathless. Meghan laughed like a crazy woman, filling the air with her sweet ticklish laughter. Sara covered both soles with tiny nail flicks, and tickled Meghan into gasping, red-faced silent laughter.

“I enjoyed that a lot,” Sara said, flexing her fingers. “Hey Meghan, does this tickle?” She guitar-chorded Meghan’s soles.

“HAHAHA-HAHAHA!” Meghan laughed. “Like you... wouldn’t... believe... ”

“How about this, Tiffany?” Amanda asked, giving her the same treatment.

“AH-HAHAHAHAHA! Oh ghod... please... gimme more... ” Tiffany laughed and begged.

“Jeez, don’t you ever get enough?” Sara asked. “Let’s untie ‘em, Amanda.”

“Woo! Good thing... you quit... ” Meghan said. She took a deep breath. “Got... to pee... ”

“Want us to wait for you?” Sara asked, untying Meghan.

Meghan rolled over and sat up. “Nah, go ahead. I’ll come back with Candice and Nicole.”

Tiffany stood up and shuffled her feet to get the tickle off. “I’ll come,” she said. “See you later, Meghan.”

The girls waded into the water. The creek was wide and shallow here – the stream bottom was mixed sand and pebbles, easy on the feet. It got deeper and narrower as they waded upstream, chatting as they went. Up ahead, through the trees, Sara spotted an old iron railway bridge across the creek – after another 50 yards or so, they came to a pool, scoured out by spring snow melt channeled between the bridge abutments. On one side of the pool was a big flat rock that hung out over the stream. A rope hung from a tree branch – this place had been a swimming hole for generations.

They waded around the edge of the pool to the rock and climbed out. The bank had an easy slope here – the girls climbed it to an abandoned railroad grade and crossed the bridge. The trains hadn’t run in their lifetime, or their parents’ – the stone ballast had long ago returned to the soil, so the grade was smooth and hard-packed, easy on bare feet.

They followed it a short distance to an intersecting trail. Half a mile along the trail, they came to where it branched, and branched again. The right forks led to another clearing – they bore left instead, continuing along the bank of the creek. The creekside trail intersected another that ran east-and-west behind the subdivision – they turned right, then left onto a narrow path. It brought them out right behind Brittany’s house.

“Whew! I’m glad I had a Native Guide,” Amanda said. “One missed turn, and years from now some hunter would be finding my bleached bones under a tree somewhere.”

“Just follow your nose,” Tiffany said. “Smell that? Somebody’s smoking weed.”

Two bikini-clad girls were sitting in plastic chairs by the poolside. Kelly McGuire had fiery red hair, blue eyes so dark they seemed almost indigo, and that perfect skin only redheads have. Stephanie Miklajcyk had fair skin, green eyes and light brown hair. Both were tall, drop-dead gorgeous, with silky long hair, great shapes and long lovely legs.

Stephanie stood up and moved around behind Kelly. She picked up a round, donut-style pool float and slipped up behind Kelly on silent bare feet. Suddenly, she jammed the float down over Kelly’s shoulders and the chair back, pinning her in place.

“Hey!” Kelly protested. “What’re you doing?”

“Guess,” Stephanie said. Both girls thought that was hilarious – they were pretty stoned, it seemed.

The giggles wound down. Stephanie shifted her chair in front of Kelly and sat. “Give ‘em here.”

“Ya got me,” Kelly said, not the least bit upset. She put her feet in Stephanie’s lap.

Stephanie trapped the ankles in a leg lock. “Tickle tickle!” she said – she dug in, tickling Kelly’s trapped feet with skill and enthusiasm. Kelly threw back her head and laughed with wild abandon. Her fair skin colored – tickled pink.

“Wish I’d thought to do that,” Brittany called out from the pool. Like her sisters, she was Mediterranean-looking, with long dark hair, brown eyes and a life guard tan. Her eyes were dilated and a little bloodshot – I know what you’ve been doing, thought Sara.

Joanna surfaced beside Brittany. The family resemblance was strong, though Joanna took after the Celtic side of her bloodline – dark hair, blue eyes and tanned, freckled fair skin. “Like music, isn’t it?” she asked, and giggled. She was as trashed as Brittany.

Kelly’s laughter got louder, wilder – Stephanie had hold of both big toes, tickling the balls of both feet mercilessly. Rachel and Emily came out of the pool house – their bikinis were in colors only redheads could wear. “You again,” Emily said.

“The very same,” Sara said, unabashed. “Ready to laugh some more, like Kelly over there?”

Emily made a rude noise and cannon-balled into the pool. She was too small to make much splash – it missed Sara completely.

Ashley came into the yard – she was blonde and blue-eyed, tall and tanned, with the same beauty-queen look as Kelly and Stephanie. She walked over to the tickling duo, bent down and tickled Kelly’s heels – Kelly’s laughter went up a notch. “This is good too,” she said helpfully.

Stephanie quit – Kelly sat there gasping. “Y’know, I sure am hungry all of a sudden for some reason,” Stephanie said. “Why don’t you tickle her for a while?”

“Don’t mind if I do,” Ashley said happily, and took Stephanie’s place. “Well, looky-here,” she said playfully. “Some feet that need tickling.”

“That’s... Morgan’s... line... ” Kelly said. “WAH-HAHAHA! AH-HAHA! HAHAHAHA!” she laughed as Ashley dug in, well-manicured nails roaming the ticklish soles.

“Let’s get into our swim suits, Sara,” Amanda said, and Sara went with her to the pool house to change.

Morgan and the twins walked into the pool house just as they were leaving it. “Learn anything new, Morgan?” Sara asked.

Morgan grinned. “Sure did! Didn’t I, Veronica?”

“That you did,” Veronica said – her voice was a little rough from laughing. “Hey, it smells like weed in here!”

Sara and Amanda joined the three girls in the pool. A few minutes later, the twins dived in – Morgan sat on the side of the pool, feet in the water. Stephanie was sitting in a chair, chowing down on potato chips. Brittany and Joanna had the munchies too, it seemed – they got out and joined Stephanie. Amanda laid on her tummy on a pool float and drifted. Rachel paddled over and tickled her feet.

“Hehehe!” Amanda giggled. “You can do better than that!”

Rachel stood up and gathered up Amanda’s ankles in an arm lock. “Of course I can,” she said – she made a Peace sign and scratched the balls of Amanda’s feet, just behind the big toes. Amanda squirmed and laughed like a madwoman. Rachel drew fast, looping figure-eight’s around the balls of Amanda’s feet, tickling like crazy. The loops got smaller, faster, covering every square inch of ticklish flesh – Amanda laughed her head off, loving every bit of it.

Kelly was still laughing, eyes closed, tears running down her cheeks as Ashley flicked and scratched her soft pink soles. “Mmf... Better give her a break, Ashley,” Brittany said around a mouthful of chips. Her legs were crossed, left thigh over right, bare foot dangling.

“Spoilsport!” Ashley said. “Oh, all right!” She quit tickling, and considerately rubbed Kelly’s feet to get the tickle off.

“Th... thanks... ” Kelly got out. To Stephanie: “Save some of those chips for me, will ya?”

Morgan reached out and tickled Brittany’s dangling foot. Brittany giggled and pulled away. “Tryin’ to start something?” she asked.

Morgan tickled the foot again – Brittany giggled again and put it flat on the ground. “That answer your question?” Morgan asked.

“Death Match?” Brittany asked.

“Tickling Square!” Joanna said, and belched. “Oops! Sorry!”

“I need a partner,” Morgan said, looking around. Rachel was tickling side to side on Amanda’s soles – Amanda’s toes twitched and curled as she laughed and laughed. “Those two are busy– ” Morgan continued.

“No thanks,” Emily said.

“I’m way too ticklish, and Kelly’s tickled out,” Ashley added.

“We’re a team,” the twins said in chorus.

“I’ll go for it,” Sara said. She got out of the pool and dried off. “I’ll tickle Brittany.”

The four girls sat on the ground in a square – Sara put her feet in Joanna’s lap and took Brittany’s in her own. Morgan completed the square, feet in Brittany’s lap and Joanna’s in hers. Each girl tied her ticklee’s ankles together and tied them to her own thigh – they had both hands free to tickle that way.

Brittany flexed her fingers. “Ready?”

“GO!” Ashley yelled.

Sara burst into ticklish laughter as Joanna covered the balls of both feet with tickling nail flicks. Joanna was laughing just as hard, Morgan was guitar-chording her back arches and onto the heels. Brittany drew tickling zig-zags up and down Morgan’s sole creases. Back to Sara – she spider-walked her nails on Brittany’s heels, tickling at warp speed. All four girls laughed and laughed, tickling and getting tickled, fingernails flying on ticklish flesh.

Joanna was good – Sara laughed her head off, red faced and sweaty. She was losing her coordination – her nail strokes were slower and sloppier, Brittany’s laughter was mixed with giggles. Sara switched to nail flicks, tickling Brittany two-handed with just her nail tips, and Brittany’s giggles morphed into flat-out laughter. But Brittany speeded up, fingernails flying on Morgan’s sensitive soles – Morgan missed a few strokes, and Joanna took full advantage, tickling Sara fiendishly. Sara’s laughter poured out in a flood.

Gotta hang on, thought Sara through her ticklish agony – she concentrated on Brittany’s sweet spots, laughing like a madwoman, flicking her nails from back arches onto the heels behind. Brittany laughed harder, but she grabbed Morgan’s big toes and spider-walked her nail tips on the balls of Morgan’s feet. Morgan’s face was red, her laughter was off the charts, but she hung on and tickled Joanna even harder.

Suddenly, Sara realized that it didn’t tickle near as bad. “HAHAHA! Hang– hehehe-HAHA! –in– haha! –there– AH-HAHA! –Morgan– hehe-HAHAHA-haha!” she said and giggled and laughed, drawing tickling shapes in Brittany’s back arches and driving Brittany wild.

Morgan was laughing much too hard to speak – she nodded with a jerky motion. Her coordination was shot, but she could still manage a foot rake. She made claws of her hands and zig-zagged the nails on Joanna’s heels and back arches, and Joanna lost it. She sat there swaying, laughing helplessly, then made a grab for Morgan’s hands – Morgan switched to a spider-walk, and Joanna fell over backward, completely overcome by the tickling.

“Hehehehe! Hang... it up... Brittany... ” Sara said breathlessly, blinking away tears. She took a deep breath and tickled Brittany’s arches and heels two-handed, forcing a flood of ticklish laughter. Brittany had skill and endurance – her tickling fingernails flew on Morgan’s soles, tickling Morgan to the edge of madness. But Morgan never let up – Joanna laughed, and laughed, and laughed some more, lost in ticklish delirium.

Brittany suddenly quit – her fingers didn’t work any more. She was laughing her head off – Sara knew better than to let up. Morgan giggled as the sensation faded – she guitar-chorded Joanna’s soles, and was rewarded with an especially loud burst of laughter. “We... did... it... ” she said triumphantly.

“We taught you well, Grasshopper,” Veronica said in a bad fake-Korean accent.

“Get ready to laugh some more, Little Sis,” Vicky added over the sounds of Brittany and Joanna’s laughter.

Sara quit tickling – Brittany gasped for air. Morgan gave Joanna one final flurry of nail flicks and tickled her breath away. “And now, for your forfeit,” she said gleefully.

The girls untangled themselves. “More like... “four-feet”... if I know... you two... ” Joanna said breathlessly.

“Scusi,” Brittany said. “I need a bathroom first.”

The twins went back to the pool. Joanna got a lot of good-natured kidding from Sara and Morgan while they waited. Brittany reappeared momentarily, with an unopened pack of cards in her hand. “Care to try for double-or-nothing?” she asked.

“My mother didn’t raise any foolish children,” Sara said. “You’re stalling.”

“Joanna needs a rest,” Brittany said – Joanna looked indignant. “Oh, nuts! This is a pinochle deck! Hmm... Well then, why don’t I tell your fortunes?”

“Madam Brittany sees all, knows all,” Joanna scoffed.

“I’ll give it a try,” Kelly said.

Brittany grinned, cracked open the cards and sat at a poolside table. “Have a seat, Kelly,” she said, shuffling the cards. “OK, cut the cards three times. To your left, with your left hand.” Kelly reached out, and Sara turned away. Her cultural identity was Jewish, though she wasn’t very observant. Still, the Torah had a prohibition against consulting diviners and astrologers – Brittany’s little game made her uneasy. She dived into the pool and surfaced, her long dark hair trailing behind her.

“Hard to overcome the way you’re raised, isn’t it?” Emily said knowingly, floating nearby.

“Is it that obvious?” Sara asked.

“It’s just another con, you know,” Emily said. “Works like they all do. A good grifter reads the mark, then tells them what they want to hear. The mark believes because they want to. This is easy, because Brittany knows the mark already. And she’s good – watch her.”

Sara did. She was too far away to hear the fortune, but Kelly’s surprised reactions were clear enough. Stoned though she was, Brittany delivered it with flawless false sincerity, and Kelly believed. Kelly stood up, shaking her head.

“Who’s next?” Brittany called, shuffling the cards together again.

“Me,” Stephanie called back –she sat down opposite Brittany. Sara got out of the pool and went looking for some plumbing. Brittany was finishing up when she returned.

“ –and the summation of your life,” Brittany intoned, turning over a pair of cards – two Tens, Clubs and Hearts. “Wands and Cups – Earth and Water. Hearth and home, long life and many children.”

“Wow!” Stephanie said. “How’d you know all that about me?”

Google-up “devout Catholic”, and your picture would be there, thought Sara. That’s how Brittany pushed your buttons...

“I have the Sight, like my grandmother before me,” Brittany said instead. She looked up and saw Sara. “You’re next, my friend.”

“I don’t think– ” Sara started.

“Remember what I told you,” Emily interrupted, putting a hand on Sara’s shoulder.

Against her better judgement, Sara sat. Stephanie had stayed to watch – Morgan and Joanna joined her.

Brittany shuffled three times, then laid the cards in front of Sara. “Cut the cards three times,” Brittany said. “To your left, with your left hand.”

Sara did so, and Brittany gathered them up again. She dealt a card off the top, face-up – the Jack of Diamonds. “The Knave of Stars – Hector, defender of Ilium. An odd choice for you, Sara.” She held the remaining cards to her forehead, eyes closed, then dealt a pair of cards face-down to the left of the Jack. Three more face-down pairs followed, going counter-clockwise to 6:00 position, then 3:00 and finally 12:00. She laid the extra cards aside.

“Imprimis,” Brittany said, flipping over the first pair – the King of Spades and an upside-down Nine of Clubs. “Your past. King of Swords – King David, who slew Goliath. And Wands reversed – you’re far from your ancient home, but you’ve found another.”

I’m Jewish, thought Sara. She knows that.

“Secundus,” Brittany said, flipping over the second pair – two Tens, Diamonds and Hearts. “Your present. Stars and Cups, Fire and Water. Opposing signs. Restlessness.”

Big surprise to anyone who knows me, Sara thought.

“Tertius,” Brittany said, flipping over the third pair – the Ace of Clubs and Queen of Spades. “In times to come. The Staff of Life, and Athena the Huntress, Queen of Swords. Earth and Air. Opposing signs again – a desperate adventure.”

That’s more like it, Sara thought, starting to get interested.

“Ultimo,” Brittany said, and flipped over the last pair – the King of Hearts and the Ten of Spades. She met Sara’s gaze – her dark eyes and dilated pupils looked like bottomless wells. “The summation of your life. Charlemagne, King of Cups, with Swords. Protector. Defender of innocent life.”

It could be, Sara thought. The Summation was a plausible direction her life might take. Was she starting to believe?

“Last part doesen’t sound much like you, Sara,” Joanna said, bringing Sara back down to earth with a bang.

“Yah, The Chariot would be more like it,” Morgan added. “Ego and Impulsivity.”

“That’s the Tarot,” Stephanie objected. She looked at Brittany uneasily. “This is... something else.”

Brittany shuffled her cards and looked up. “You’re next, Emily.” The weed must have hit her harder, or she had smoked more of it than the others – she seemed adrift, almost in a trance.

“That’s a very bad idea,” Emily said quietly.

“Oh, go ahead, Emily,” Sara said. “Like you said, it’s just a game.”

“Life is a game,” Brittany said. “Sit.” She shuffled three times, laid the cards in front of Emily. “Cut the cards three times. To your left, with your left hand.”

The first card Brittany dealt was the Queen of Spades, inverted. “Athena the Wise, Queen of Swords, reversed. A seeker, unfulfilled.”

Brittany dealt out the four face-down pairs, counter-clockwise from 9:00, and laid the extra cards aside. “Imprimis,” she said, flipping the first pair – the Ten of Hearts and an upside-down Ace of Spades. “Your past. Cups and Swords – Water and Air. A long journey. Long life, and Death denied.”

“Where did she get that?” Stephanie whispered.

“Shut up,” Sara whispered back. “I want to hear this.”

“Secundus,” Brittany said, flipping over the second pair – the Jack and Ten of Clubs, with the Ten inverted. “Your present. The Knave of Wands, Lancelot the Deceiver, and Wands reversed. Falsehood and rootlessness. You are far more than you appear to be. And far less – you have no home, no roots, here or anywhere.”

“Don’t you think– ” Stephanie persisted, beginning to look alarmed.

“NO!” Sara hissed. “Hush!”

“Tertius,” Brittany said, flipping over the third pair – the Ten of Hearts, inverted, and the Queen of Clubs. She turned pale under her lifeguard tan, crossed herself, then continued in a husky voice. “In times to come. Cups reversed, a life’s blood shed. Lilith, Queen of Wands, bringer of Death. Blood and wounds. Sudden death.”

“All right, that’s it!” Morgan said, moving toward Brittany. “Brittany! Stop it!”

Brittany waved her off, with a motion like swatting at a wasp. “Ultimo,” she said, and flipped the last pair – the Ace of Hearts, straight up, and the second Ace of Spades, inverted. Her voice was a whisper. “The summation of your life. The Chalice, and Death again denied. Life eternal... ” She looked up at Emily with those bottomless eyes. “I know you now,” she said in a stronger voice. “Many lives, many names, but all the same. Maiden, Mother and Crone, all in one... ” She closed her eyes and scattered the cards with a swipe of her hand. “I don’t want to play this game any more,” she said in a hurt little-girl voice.

Emily stood up, put two fingers in her mouth and whistled shrilly. “Vicky! Veronica! Front and center!” she commanded.

Morgan put a hand on Brittany’s shoulder. “Brittany– ”

Brittany shook off the touch – she stood up so fast that her chair overturned. Her eyes had the thousand-mile stare of one who has seen too much. “We have made a covenant with Death, and with Hell are we at agreement,” she quoted, eyes unseeing. “We have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves... ” She dropped to her knees and burst into tears. Morgan kneeled and put her arm around the crying girl.

“What’s the problem?” Vicky asked. She stood there with her twin, dripping wet.

“Take care of your sister,” Emily said, nodding toward Brittany. “She’s fucked up, and she just crashed and burned.”

The twins looked at each other and nodded. “C’mon, Little Sis,” Veronica said, taking Brittany’s hands. “Alley-oop! Time for bed.”

Vicky turned to Sara. “You have anything to do with this?”

“Not this time,” Sara said. “Ask some of the others.”

“It was just weed, Vicky!” Joanna said nervously. “Stephanie, Kelly and me – we all smoked it too. I can’t– ”

“Any of it left?” Vicky interrupted.

Joanna hesitated, then nodded. “In the pool house.”

“Bring it to me.” Joanna opened her mouth to protest, but Vicky cut her off. “Right fucking now, or I’ll hurt you.” She noticed the others standing by. “This has nothing to do with you – it’s family business. Enjoy the party.”

Emily began gathering up the scattered cards. “I told Brittany it was a bad idea,” she said.

“That last part was from Isaiah, wasn’t it?” Sara asked. “Our version’s a little different, but the sense of it’s the same.”

“You mean... she saw the truth?” Stephanie asked, looking frightened. The Catholic Church didn’t encourage mysticism, especially with a relentlessly rational German theologian at its head. Still, the mystic thread was there. Stephanie sometimes succumbed, and besides, she was stoned and maybe a little paranoid.

“Do I look like the Wicked Witch of the West to you?” Emily asked sharply. “Brittany was hallucinating. She was already on the ragged edge when she told Sara’s fortune. She might have been all right if she’d quit then– ”

“But telling yours tipped her over the edge,” Morgan interrupted.

“Belike.” The odd old-fashioned word was the only sign that Emily was rattled. Perhaps, Sara translated mentally – the Yiddish equivalent fileicht was a cognate.

Emily laid the cards on the table. “C’mon, let’s find some feet to tickle.”

Last edited:
(continued)

***2***

Beside the pool, Alex Budanov was just finishing a hogtie on her sister Julie. To look at them, no one would guess that Alex and Julie were sisters – Alex was a Slavic beauty with a great body, tanned fair skin, long silvery blonde hair and dark blue eyes. Julie was slender, with fiery red hair, quicksilver-hazel eyes and skin so fair it seemed almost translucent. Julie looked up at Sara’s approach, grinned and wiggled her toes. “Looks like she got me,” she said, not the least bit upset.

“Not yet,” Alex said. She knee-walked around to Julie’s trapped feet, grabbed Julie’s big toes and made a claw of her free hand. She raked the nails down a foot, drawing four parallel zig-zag lines and applying just enough pressure to tickle unbearably – Julie threw back her head and laughed at the top of her lungs. “Now I’ve got you,” Alex said.

“Y’know, we could jump Alex and tickle both of ‘em,” Morgan said thoughtfully.

“Later, maybe,” Stephanie said. “CANNONBALL!” She did just that, with Morgan right behind.

Julie had the most ticklish feet in the neighborhood – seeing her get a good tickling was almost as much fun as doing it yourself, thought Sara. She watched as Alex covered Julie’s feet with tiny nail flicks, getting great reactions and a flood of helpless laughter. Alex held Julie’s toes back and tickled side to side underneath – Julie laughed like a crazy woman, tickled pink, tears of laughter streaming down her cheeks.

“Julie won’t last much longer, the way you’re going,” Sara remarked. “Don’t overdo it.”

Julie wasn’t pink now, her face was almost purple as she laughed her head off. “No such thing,” Alex said, nail tips flicking at warp speed – she tickled Julie into gasping, red-faced silent laughter. “Or maybe there is,” she admitted sheepishly.

“Told ya,” Sara said. Emily had disappeared, she noticed. She heard more laughter and checked it out.

Emily had Nicole hogtied and laughing again, on the lawn near the pool house. Emily tickled like she did everything else – competently, efficiently, without waste motion. She was kneeling beside Nicole, using a single nail to draw fast figure-eight’s around the balls of both feet. Twice on each circuit, she lightly flicked her well-manicured nails down the creases in the middle of Nicole’s soles – the sweet spots, where Nicole’s feet were insanely, unbearably ticklish. Nicole squirmed, straining against her bonds, and laughed at the top of her lungs. Her toes twitched and curled as she laughed like mad.

Sara scanned the yard. The twins were still in the pool – they submerged and closed in on Ashley, floating in a swim ring with her arms and legs hanging over. They surfaced – each grabbed a foot.

“Oh NOOO!” Ashley yelled, struggling to pull loose. “HAHAHA! HAHA-HAHA-HAHAHAHA!” she laughed as the twins got to work. Her tickle laugh was a rich contralto, as lovely as the rest of her.

“Kind of a role reversal, isn’t it?” Candice asked from behind Sara. Sara turned to look, and Candice nodded toward her sister. “Nicole, I mean. Usually, I’m the one getting tickled silly.” She grinned impishly. “Not that I’m complaining, except that nobody’s tickling me now. Hint, hint.”

“Did Meghan come back with you?” Sara asked.

“Was she supposed to? Nicole and me were the last ones to leave the meadow,” Candice said. “She wouldn’t let me quit – wore my fingers out tickling her. We never saw Meghan.”

“Oh shit,” Sara said. “She’s only lived here a year – she doesen’t know the Hundred Acre Wood like we do. Think she got lost?”

Candice considered. “Maybe. Let’s see what Nicole thinks.”

Nicole was laughing too hard to think, Sara judged – the little blonde laughed at the top of her lungs as Emily tickled her upturned soles, toes twitching and curling. Stream after stream of helpless laughter poured out of Nicole as Emily spider-walked her nails down Nicole’s arches and scrabbled her nails on both heels, covering them with tiny tickling nail flicks.

“Take a break, Emily,” Candice said.

“Why?” Emily grabbed Nicole’s big toes, made a Peace sign and zig-zagged the nails along the sole creases, where it really, really tickled – Nicole’s laughter went off the charts.

“Because I need to talk to Nicole,” Candice said. “I think we’ve lost Meghan in the woods.”

Emily quit – Nicole gasped for air. “How d’you figure that?” the redhead asked. “Maybe she went straight home.”

“She was with me toward the end,” Sara said. “She had to pee – said she’d come back with Candice and Nicole.”

“And we never saw her,” Candice said. “She had her phone with her – maybe we should call her.”

Candice retrieved her phone and dialed. “Rolls straight to voice mail,” she reported. “Call her house?”

“You’ll scare the crap out of her parents if you do,” Emily said. “Maybe– ”

“Untie me,” Nicole said. “I’ll call Melissa at work. She can call and ask for Meghan, and report back.”

Nicole made the call, then took the reply. “Meghan’s mom told Melissa that Meghan was with us.”

“Not good,” Emily said. “It’s close to 6 PM – if we call the police, they’ll wait until morning to start searching.” She paused, considering. “We can’t turn this bunch loose in the woods, or we’d lose half of ‘em and be worse off. Search parties, then. How many would we need?”

“No less than three,” Nicole said.

“Three is is,” Emily said. “Ashley and Rachel are steady, but they don’t know the woods,” she continued, thinking out loud. “So put each of ‘em with one of the twins. I can find my own way, but– ”

“I’ll go with you,” Nicole said.

“No, I need someone with sense right here, to help me coordinate,” Emily said. “There’s bound to be gaps in phone coverage. And Candice is pretty good at dissembling, so I’ll use her to distract the ones we leave behind.”

“What about me?” Sara asked. “I know these woods as well as anybody.”

Emily gave Sara a long, appraising look. Finally, she nodded. “OK, Sara, you’re with me. Candice, Nicole, round up the other four and bring ‘em here.”

Emily laid out the situation. “Nicole and Candice are the base station,” she concluded. “They’ll stay here. You others, go home and change. Wear jeans – you’ll need the pockets – and shoes you can wade in.”

“All I have here is this swim suit, and my shorts and t-shirt,” Rachel said. “Everything else is at my apartment.”

“My shoes will fit you,” Ashley said.

“And Brittany’s jeans,” Vicky added.

“Good,” Emily said. “Meet at my place in 5 minutes. Bring your phone. A camp knife and canteen too – I have extras if you need one. A map if you have one. Go!”

The walk home gave Sara time for second thoughts. Not about the expedition – she figured they would find Meghan in an hour, two at the outside – but about Emily.

Emily was careful and competent in everything she did. She was a shrewd observer, and could spot a liar through a stone wall. She had a dry sense of humor, and could tell even the most outlandish tall tales with totally believable conviction. Sara had the sense that the redhead knew her own mind, was comfortable in her own skin, and had nothing she had to prove to anyone.

But Emily kept her own counsel, and somehow, the core of her being was untouchable. She deflected questions about herself by anwering a related question of her own choosing. Ashley Curtis probably knew Emily better than anyone else – her divorced mom and Emily’s widowed father were planning to get married – but even Ashley didn’t know Emily well.

And besides, Emily had a way of making Sara feel like a willful, thoughtless and none-too-bright kid.

Sara had a map, the crappy sort given out by the Chamber of Commerce, with advertising all around and on the back. The street layout was accurate, but the woods north of Tickle Street were just a green square with a blue line labeled “Owl Creek” running diagonally southwest-to-northeast. She laid it out on Emily’s kitchen table. The woods were bordered on the west by Johnson’s Ferry Road, on the north by Greiner Road, on the east by another subdivision.

“Got a pencil?” Veronica asked. “The creek flows this way.” She put an arrowhead on the blue line to indicate direction of flow – she was the well-organized twin. “The railroad grade runs southeast-to-northwest,” she added, sketching a line on the green square. She made a mark where it crossed the creek. “Bridge here.” Two ovals, one in the southwest quadrant and another touching the creek downstream of the bridge. “A clearing here, where the old cabin was, and here’s the meadow where we had our gathering,” pointing to them in turn. She started sketching in trails. “Trail behind the subdivision, comes out on Johnson’s Ferry Road. Another off the middle of that one, runs north to the first clearing. This one runs along the creek to the bridge, with two branches a quarter-mile apart – those go to the clearing too. Two other trails to the clearing – this one runs west and comes out on Johnson’s Ferry. The other goes north, crosses the railroad grade and ends up at the meadow.”

“We waded downstream to the meadow,” Emily said.

“That’s right,” Veronica said. “The trail from the clearing is the long way, so nobody ever uses it unless the creek is up. And there’s another trail that picks up from the creek downstream of the meadow, comes out on Greiner Road.”

“What’s further downstream?” Emily asked.

“Waterfall,” Veronica said. “Only 10 ft tall or so, but there’s no missing it.”

“Any other trails to the meadow?”

“Just one, but it makes a loop with the trail from the clearing, and it’s not as good.”

Emily thought it over. “You can see my house from the trail behind the subdivision, so if she’s there, she isn’t lost. Same goes for the railroad grade – easy walking and no way to lose it.”

“David has a motorcycle,” Vicky said. “My boyfriend,” she explained to Emily. “I’ll call him and ask him to ride the grade from Johnson’s Ferry to the old depot downtown.”

“Good thinking,” Emily said. “All right, boots and saddles! Rachel’s with Veronica, Ashley’s with Vicky, Sara’s with me. Veronica and Rachel, take the trail north to the clearing – we’ll meet you there. You others, come with me.”

They followed the creekside trail to the first branch. “Veronica and Ashley, go to the next branch and wait for us,” Emily said. “We’ll meet the others in the clearing and come back the other way.”

“No sign of her,” Vicky reported.

“Forget the trail to Johnson’s Ferry for now,” Emily said. “Take the long way to the meadow, the better trail.”

Back to the creekside trail by the second path. Emily filled the others in, and they moved on to the bridge, crossed, and waded downstream to the meadow. Vicky and Rachel hadn’t arrived.

“Sara stays with me,” Emily said. “You two, wade downstream to the waterfall. If you come up empty, double back to the trail to Greiner Road. Call me and report when you get to the road. Then call Nicole and have her send Candice to pick you up.”

“What do we do now?” Sara asked when the others were gone.

“We wait,” Emily said absently, scanning the edges of the meadow.

Vicky and Rachel arrived 10 minutes later. “Still no joy,” Vicky said.

“Walk the rest of the loop,” Emily said. “Take the trail to Johnson’s Ferry from the clearing and call me, then go home. Call Nicole if you need a ride. Go!”

“We just gonna wait here?” Sara asked Emily. “There’s no other way in or out.”

“There is, if you know how to look,” Emily said, walking toward the woods to the north. “See that?”

“Looks like shit,” Sara said.

“Right the first time,” Emily said. “Deer sign. There’s a game trail over there, through that gap in the trees. Good place to pee in private.” She squatted down and studied the undergrowth, then pointed. “That’s hair off a deer hide. See it?”

It didn’t look like much to Sara. “I’ll take your word for it.”

“Best you do,” Emily said. “Follow me.”

The path didn’t look like much either, but the forest floor litter seemed to be disturbed. A little way in was a larger area, definitely disturbed. Emily dropped to her knees and carefully brushed away the leaves. Silently, she pointed out a damp spot, a bare footprint, and a few more overlaid with waffle-sole boot prints. A little more searching, and Emily turned up a cigarette butt and a few dark-colored drops.

“Meghan doesen’t smoke,” Sara said.

“Somebody else was here too,” Emily said. “A man, probably, from the size of these boot tracks. She went this way, away from the meadow, and the guy was with her, or following her.”

“Is that blood?”

Emily rubbed her fingers in a drop and held them up – rusty-red, mixed with soil. “Looks like,” she said, and wiped them clean with leaves. She flipped her phone open, then closed it again. “Not even one bar,” she said. “Come on. We’ll try again later.” She disappeared.

“Emily!” Sara called. “Emily, where are you?”

Emily materialized. “Keep your voice down!” she hissed. “Follow me, step where I step, don’t fall behind, and be quiet!”

Sara did as she was told. Emily ignored the mosquitoes and the biting flies. Sara swatted at them, and wished she had remembered to wear bug dope.

Emily moved silently, totally focused – she paused occasionally, reading some sign, moving on. Once, she plucked something from a thorn. “What was Meghan wearing today?” she asked quietly, without looking up.

“Sky-blue top and gray gym shorts,” Sara said.

Emily showed Sara a sky-blue thread. “Like this?”

“Yah,” Sara said, with a feeling of dread. “She’s in bad trouble, isn’t she?”

“Yes.” Emily turned away and resumed her careful advance.

They came to a place with signs of a struggle – trampled fallen leaves, prints of bare feet and boots, Meghan’s torn shirt, more blood. “She tried to break free here,” Emily said quietly. Both girls tried their phones – still no service.

Emily scanned the area. “Lost the trail. Wait here.” She vanished.

Emily was gone 10 minutes this time, long enough for Sara to imagine how badly this could end. Emily reappeared from a different direction. “This way,” she said.

“How’d you learn this Last of the Mohicans stuff?” Sara asked.

“Picked it up a while back,” Emily said with masterful understatement. “Come.”

There was more blood sign ahead, tapering off, and visible boot tracks in the clear places, deeper than before. “He’s carrying her,” Emily whispered after a while. “No more blood. That’s good – means the bleeding stopped.”

And suddenly the oaks and hickory were gone, replaced by gnarled old apple trees growing in straight lines. The underbrush was heavier here. Sara spotted a few wizened windfall apples on the ground.

“This was an orchard,” Emily said. “Where are we?”

Sara considered. “We used to buy fresh cider from an old man on Greiner Road when I was little,” she said. “He died years ago, though. His heirs all live out of state – they used to rent out the house to pay the taxes, but last time I drove by there it was vacant.”

“Then we missed them,” Emily said, frustrated. “We’ll call in from the road. Come on.”

They paused inside the tree line. Ahead was a barn, with an old farm house beyond. A full-size van was parked behind the house. Close by, behind the barn, was a smouldering burn barrel.

“Maybe we didn’t miss them,” Emily said. “Stay close, and keep quiet.”

They moved forward, keeping the barn between themselves and the house. Sara peeked through a broken window, saw the ruin of the cider press – it looked like nothing had disturbed the place for years. She looked around, saw a poker – a piece of rebar – leaning against the barrel. She stirred the fire and pointed, feeling sick – scraps of scorched cloth mixed with the ashes, and a lump that might have been burned nylon panties.

“Found ‘em,” Emily said, flipping open her phone. “Tabarnac!” she said, still in tracker mode – a curse, judging from context. “See if yours is working.”

“We’re in a hollow,” Sara said. “Mine’s dead too.”

“Then we fade back into the woods, circle around and find a place to call– Wait!”

The van cranked up. Emily dropped onto her tummy at the edge of the barn and hazarded a quick peek. Sara heard gravel crunch under tires, moving away. Emily peeked again, backed off and stood up.

“Someone just drove off. Where’s the closest house?”

“Half a mile in either direction,” Sara said. “There’s just a strip of woods across the road, and the Interstate about 100 yards beyond.”

It was getting on toward dark. “We’re running out of time, so go straight past the house, side opposite the driveway,” Emily said. “We’ll turn right at the road and keep walking ‘til we find a place where we can call. Come on.”

Sara kept the rebar poker – it had a comforting weight. A light was on at the back of the house, but there were no other signs of life. Sara made a sudden decision and stepped up onto the back porch. “I’m going in,” she said.

“Are you out of your fucking mind?” Emily said, moving toward Sara. Sara yanked open the screen door. The upper part of the back door had a 9-pane window – Sara broke the pane closest to the knob and reached.

Emily grabbed Sara’s wrist and snatched the rebar away with her free hand. “Do it right,” she said, carefully knocking out the rest of the broken glass. “Less likely to cut yourself, and less noticeable from a distance.” She reached through and unlocked the door. “You realize this is Breaking and Entering, don’t you? A felony.”

Sara nodded.

“We’ll take 5 minutes to search the place,” Emily said, opening the door. “No more. Time’s up, and we’re gone. Got it?”

Sara nodded again, and followed Emily inside.

They were in a big country kitchen, but the place had been modernized. The kitchen cabinets, stove and refrigerator were to the left, with the sink under a window overlooking the porch. In the middle was a butcher-block island with two tall stools – it held an empty coffee cup, a disorderly stack of mail, a roll of duct tape, a throw-away lighter, a half-full ash tray and an empty cigarette pack. The right side of the room was a breakfast area, with a small round table and four chairs. On the facing wall were a closed door and a larger doorway, open to a dining room beyond.

Emily checked the closed door. “Cellar. We’ll check that last.”

The scarred dining room table supported a computer workstation and stacks of papers. The living room furniture was heavy, old and dark, obviously rented with the house. The electronics were new and upscale. A cordless phone sat on an end table near an armchair.

“Call from here?” Sara asked.

Emily shook her head. “Keep moving.”

Three bedrooms upstairs, two with bare mattresses and empty closets. A man lived in the third, and the bathroom had men’s things, shaving stuff and so forth. Emily pulled down the attic stairs, and sneezed at the cloud of dust. “Nobody’s been up there for years,” she said. She checked her watch. “Two minutes down. Move!”

Back through the house to the cellar door. The cellar was full of oddments, but there were some building materials and a new-built work bench at the bottom of the stairs. The tools looked new too. A new room had been framed up in one corner, bare studs outside with plywood on the inside. The door was a solid-core exterior type, held closed with simple slide bolts near top and bottom.

Emily picked up a pair of stained leather work gloves from the work bench and studied them, her face like stone. She nodded toward the bolted door. “Open it.”

Sara pulled the bolts back and opened the door. Meghan was on a plastic-covered mattress on the floor, curled up on her side, crying softly. She had been stripped naked. Her upper body, thighs and buttocks were covered in bruises, so new they were still turning purple. Her nose was bloody. More blood seeped from a dozen shallow cuts mixed in with the bruises.

Sara rushed over. “Meghan!” she said, putting her hand on a shoulder.

Meghan screamed. “Nooo!” she begged, cringing. “Please don’t hurt me again!” She whimpered. “Mama, it hurts so bad... ”

“She’s in shock,” Emily said. “Scientific beating – breaks the spirit, not the bones.”

“Why is she all cut up?” Sara asked.

“Bastard wore work gloves to protect his hands while he beat her. The seams made those cuts. Let’s get her out of here.”

Sara skinned off her t-shirt. “Help me get this on her.”

“We don’t have time! Didi-mao, Sara!”

Sara looked stubborn, and bent over Meghan. “It’ll go faster if you help.”

Emily surrendered and helped. Sara was taller than tiny Meghan, and her shirt was oversize anyway to accomodate her breasts – it fit like a short night shirt. They each got an arm around Meghan, and they walked and half-carried her up the stairs to the kitchen.

“Quick, out the front door and across the road to the woods,” Emily commanded. “I’ll go for– ”

“What the fuck!” a male voice said from the porch. Sara froze. Emily nodded sharply toward the dining room and mouthed, “Go now!”

The door flew open. The man was about 30, ordinary-looking, in jeans, work boots and an untucked plaid shirt, with a plastic grocery bag in one hand. He dropped the bag and pulled a flat automatic pistol from under the shirt. “Well, what have we here?” he said.

“Easy now,” Emily said coolly, letting go of Meghan. “Let’s talk this over.”

The gun muzzle tracked from Sara to Emily. “Nothing to talk about,” he said. “Down on the floor, all of you!”

Sara felt her bladder let go. She let go of Meghan – Meghan slumped down to the floor beside her and curled into a fetal position, whimpering. Terrified, Sara begged for her life. “Don’t kill us!” she pleaded. “We’ll do anything you want!” She pulled off her bra and dropped it “See? This is what you’ll get!”

The gun muzzle wavered toward Sara – the hole in the end looked cavernous. Her vision grayed out around the edges, laser-focused in the middle. Suddenly Emily charged, camp knife held low, and everything started happening in slow-motion as the adrenalin kicked in.

He fired from the hip, deafeningly loud in this closed space. Emily screamed and flinched, but she was moving too fast – she grabbed his gun hand and deflected it, closing for a disemboweling thrust with the knife. He blocked the knife with his left arm, at the cost of a bone-deep, bloody cut that disabled the arm. He slung Emily off – she took three sideways off-balance steps and slammed into edge of the table, and the knife came adrift and clattered away underneath. He fired at Emily again, but the shot went wide and buried itself in the wall.

Sara snatched up a stool by its seat and swung it at him like a clumsy baseball bat. He dodged Sara’s attack and swung the gun around, but the move unbalanced him, with all of his weight on one leg. Emily closed again and landed a straight-line kick to the back of the knee, dropping him. He was already falling when he fired again – the bullet missed Sara by inches. Emily delivered a roundhouse kick to the face and broke his nose.

He was down but not out, still deadly dangerous. Sara swung the stool overhead to brain him, but the legs bounced off the ceiling with a shower of broken plaster, and she almost lost her hold. Emily grabbed the ends of two stool legs and snatched it away – she swung it at his head like an Olympic hammer, leaning back to counterbalance the swing and throwing her weight behind the blow. It connected with a sickening thud and knocked him flat – wood splintered, the legs gave way, the seat came loose and hit the wall. The gun went off again and plowed a furrow in the floor at Sara’s feet.

Sara leaped, bringing her legs up, and pistoned her feet down on his chest – she heard ribs crack, and then overbalanced and fell heavily to the floor. She scrambled to her feet, remembered the camp knife and drew it from its sheath, holding it awkwardly.

Emily tossed the ruined stool aside. “Put that away before you hurt yourself,” she said.

Sara’s time sense was returning to normal – she realized that the deadly encounter had lasted only 5 or 6 seconds, though it had seemed much longer. She came closer. “Is he– ”

“Not yet,” Emily said. She kicked the gun out of his unresisting hand, moving stiffly. “Soon, I think.”

The man’s face was a bloody mask from the broken nose, with bloody froth on his lips – the broken ribs had punctured his lungs. His head looked misshapen, with a deep depressed skull fracture over the temple. Pinkish liquid trickled from his eyes and ears, more blood mixed with clear cerebrospinal fluid. His eyes were open, one pinpointed, the other fully dilated.

A disgusting sound and a sudden stench as the man’s bladder and bowels voided. “Now he’s dead,” Emily said.

Sara doubled over and vomited on her shoes, in great wracking spasms, until she had nothing left. She saw spots and tasted bile, retched, spat and wiped her mouth on her arm. Her ears still rang from the gunshots. “I pissed my pants,” she said weakly.

“Adrenalin reaction,” Emily said, putting a hand on Sara’s shoulder. “Nothing to be ashamed of.”

Sara straightened up. Emily’s shirt had a scorched, bloodstained hole at navel height, above her right hip, surrounded by a spatter of gunpowder residue. “Emily! You’re hurt!”

“Bastard shot me,” Emily said in a tight voice. “Adrenalin’s wearing off – it hurts like a sonofabitch!”

Sara saw spots and retched again.

“Stay with me, Sara,” Emily said sharply. “We need your help.” She moved painfully to the remaining stool and sat. The back of her shirt had a bloody, ragged hole in line with the other – it was was bloody to the hem, dripping down onto her jeans. “Check on Meghan, then come over here and tell me what you see.”

Meghan was still curled up – she hadn’t been hurt again. “She’s no worse,” Sara reported. “Pull your shirt up.” She took a mouthful of water from the canteen on her belt and spat it out. She didn’t offer any to Emily because of the abdominal wound – she poured the rest over Emily’s wounds.

The bullet had passed straight through. The entrance wound didn’t look like much – just a bruised spot with a central dimple slowly seeping blood, surrounded by a radiating pattern where the skin had stretched and torn. The exit wound was worse, quarter-sized – it looked like raw hamburger. Sara retched again, forced it down and reported. “Bleeding’s about stopped,” she concluded.

“I’m bleeding internally,” Emily said. “Grab those paper towels over there – bring the whole roll. And see what’s in that bag on the floor.”

The bag held a fresh carton of cigarettes. “Just these,” Sara said, laying it on the island.

Sara fetched the roll of towels. By then, Emily had broken open the carton and extracted a pack. “Spoils of war,” she said – she lit up and drew deeply. “These things help, a little bit anyway.”

For the first time, Sara was grateful for second-hand tobacco smoke – it partly masked the stench of death. “I didn’t know you smoked,” she said.

“There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me,” Emily said. “Ever take a first-aid course?”

“Yah,” Sara said. “Hold still.” She pulled a handful of towels off the roll and folded them into a wound dressing. She taped it over the exit wound, repeated with the entrance wound, then took three complete turns around Emily’s middle so the dressings wouldn’t come off.

“Good,” Emily said. “Now get Meghan outside onto the porch and come back for me.”

“There’s a land line here,” Sara said. “We should call 911.”

“Fetch the handset and bring it outside with you.”

Meghan only weighed 90 lbs or so – mindful of the broken glass, Sara just picked her up and carried her out. Meghan was still dazed, she wouldn’t wander off. Emily was weaker now, but she could walk. Sara stubbed out Emily’s cigarette, got an arm around Emily and helped her outside.

Emily sank down next to Meghan and lit another cigarette with shaky hands. “Now call 911,” she said. “Tell them there’s been a shooting, one dead and two more down. Don’t elaborate. Do you know the address here?”

Sara shook her head.

“On his mail, but don’t waste time looking for it,” Emily said. “They have Caller ID – they’ll find us. Don’t engage them in conversation. When they start to repeat themselves, lay the phone down, but don’t hang up. Got it?”

“Got it. Hang on!”

Emily grinned weakly. “You mean brace up,” she said. “Like the subtitles in Samurai movies, when the hero gets an arrow through the chest.”

Graveyard humor. Sara dialed.

“911 Operator, what’s your emergency?” the voice asked.

“There’s been a shooting here. One dead, two injured. We need help!”

“Are you in danger right now?”

“No, he’s dead! Help us!”

“What’s your location?”

“We’re at the old cider mill on Greiner Road. There’s a farm house.”

“Do you have the address?”

“NO! Don’t you assholes have Caller ID? She’s bleeding to death!”

“Calm down, ma’am, we’ll find you. Please stay on the– ”

Sara laid the phone down. “They said help’s on the way.” She was shaking.

Emily took a long drag off her cigarette – her skin was very pale, almost translucent. She grabbed Sara’s hand in a vise-like grip. “Listen to me, Sara, because this is important.” She paused to gather strength. “This is a crime scene, and the police will be here soon. There’s been a B&E and a homicide– ”

“But we rescued– ” Sara started.

“Shut up and listen! They’ll detain and interrogate us – they’ll call it an interview, but it’s an interrogation nevertheless. That sympathetic detective who wants to hear your story is not your friend. He’s a police officer trying to clear a felony case. Do you understand?”

Sara hesitated. Herself and Emily, criminals? It seemed surreal.

“Do-you-understand.”

“Yes, Emily.”

“Good. You’re, what, 18?”

Sara nodded.

“Possible juvie charges instead of adult felonies, at the judge’s discretion. That’s good.” Emily’s voice was weaker now, her strength almost spent – she was hanging on through iron will. She took a long hit off her cigarette, then went on. “Don’t volunteer information. The first thing out of your mouth should be, “He was trying to kill me! I was so afraid!” Then ask for your parents and shut up. Cry if you can do it convincingly. Your parents will bring a lawyer – say nothing else until he gets there. Now repeat back what I told you.”

Sara did.

“All right.” It was a whisper. She took a last drag off her cigarette and tossed it away. She tried to light another, but her hands weren’t working any more. “Light this for me.”

Sara lit up, but Emily was unconscious by then. Her skin was cool and deathly pale, with the freckles standing out in stark relief. Surprisingly, her pulse and breathing were strong and steady. It was as if she held on for as long as she was needed, then shut down all non-essential functions so her body could concentrate on healing itself.

Nonsense, thought Sara. It doesen’t work that way.

Sara shivered, and realized suddenly that she was still topless. Meghan was shivering too. Sara put the cigarette pack and lighter in her hip pocket and went back inside, keeping the lit cigarette to mask the stench. She found her bra and put it on, then put the cigarette between her teeth to keep her hands free. She puffed without inhaling as she walked through the dining room. The nicotine was making her light-headed – she saw spots again, and her bowels roiled. A deep breath and it passed, leaving her calmer.

She jerked the living room drapes off the rod and wadded them up. She inhaled by accident and coughed her lungs clear, light-headed again. Back outside, she covered Meghan and Emily and sat beside them. She tried smoking the cigarette like a joint, sucking in plenty of air – that worked better. She lit another off the end of the first and took stock of herself.

She was filthy and bug-bitten. She had pissed her pants and puked all over herself. She was well on the way to acquiring a filthy and expensive habit. She had been shot at and missed, and the gunman had paid with his life. Start to finish, the whole experience had been indescribably ugly.

She felt ashamed. She felt... exhilirated. How could that be possible?

Sirens in the distance, closing fast, and big engines working hard. A police car made the turn into the driveway, fishtailing, and blasted into the yard. It came to a stop in a spray of gravel, with an ambulance right behind.

Sara stood up and took one last drag, drawing the smoke deep into her lungs. She exhaled slowly and flicked the cigarette away. Showtime.

“Help!” Sara yelled. She ran toward the police car, waving her hands. “Help us! Over here!”

Last edited:
(continued)

***3***

The interrogation went the way Emily predicted. Sara responded as she had been told. She even managed to cry, and couldn’t stop once she got started. But she felt disconnected – it was like standing outside herself, watching herself playing a role. She hoped the detective would mistake it for post-traumatic stress. Hell, maybe that’s what it was...

Her parents arrived at the police station with a lawyer in tow – her Uncle Steve’s former law partner, fresh from a backyard cookout. In view of her youth and the circumstances of the case, she was released to the custody of her parents. She went home with them, took a long, hot shower and fell into bed.

She woke up at 3 AM, screaming.

The story hit the media on Sunday, and for a change, the reporters did their job right. The dead man had been tried for murder in a similar case in another state. Unfortunately, an over-eager detective had gotten careless with the evidence. With the evidence excluded, the State’s case had fallen apart. Case dismissed –he had gotten away with murder.

He had almost done it again.

“Almost” only counts in a game of Horseshoes. Sara was alive, and Emily and Meghan too.

The District Attorney called a press conference Monday morning and announced that he would no-bill their case and drop all charges. Sara went right out and got a cut-and-style to celebrate – as a temporary (she hoped!) celebrity, her regular stylist took her without an appointment. She chose a short GI-Jane cut, and donated the cut hair to make wigs for cancer patients who had gone bald from chemotherapy.

Sara waited another day before visiting the others in the hospital. She felt guilty but relieved when she heard that Emily was still in Intensive Care and not receiving visitors. Meghan was sedated, sore all over, but in decent spirits. Mercifully, she had lost the entire day and had no memory of her ordeal. She might choose someday to work through it under hypnosis, but for now, better to leave it alone.

Emily came home that Friday – Sara went to see her reluctantly, out of a sense of duty. The redhead came to the door in a loose unbelted sundress – she hadn’t bothered with shoes. “I like the hairstyle,” she said. “It suits you.”

“Time for a change,” Sara answered.

Emily nodded knowingly. “Come and sit with me in the kitchen,” she said. Sara kicked off her sandals at the door and followed her.

The kitchen table had a short-barreled revolver laid out on an old dish towel. The gun’s wooden grips were dark, almost black – the blue-black finish was worn through to bright metal in places, turning plum-brown in others. The cylinder was out of it for cleaning, and cleaning supplies were neatly arranged nearby. There was a pungent odor in the room, like over-ripe bananas soaked in diesel fuel. “What’s that smell?” Sara asked, wrinkling her nose.

“Hoppe’s No 9,” Emily answered. “Cleaning solvent.” She sat, put a bit of oily rag on a cleaning rod and ran it through the barrel. “I wasn’t sure you’d come,” she said.

“Had to,” Sara said. “Is that your dad’s?”

“No.” Emily inspected the barrel and laid the gun down. “We brought knives to a gun fight,” she said, running the rag through the six chambers in the cylinder. “Bad planning on my part – I should’ve prepared for the worst case.”

“Do you have a permit to carry that thing?”

“We could’ve been charged with voluntary manslaughter and B&E,” Emily said, inspecting each chamber. “What’s one more felony?” Satisfied, she got to work reassembling the gun.

The gun looked odd to Sara. The barrel was a 2” stub with a rounded-blade front sight. The hammer had no cocking spur – it was just a slick knob. The lower corners of the grip, squared-off on most guns, were smooth rounded curves. The front of the trigger guard had been milled off, leaving a curved steel bar that stopped just ahead of the tip of the trigger. “What is that thing?” Sara asked. “I’ve never seen one like it.”

“FitzGerald Special,” Emily answered, wiping it down with a rag. “The original 38 snub-nose, made to be carried in a pocket holster.”

“It looks old,” Sara said.

“Came out of the Colt Custom Shop in the 1920’s,” Emily said. She laid the gun aside. “I’ve had it... a while.”

“Oh... So, how are you?” Sara asked awkwardly.

“Could’ve been worse,” Emily said. “The wound was a through-and-through, but his gun was a 9-millimeter, not a 40 or 45-caliber. I lost a few feet of small intestine and a lot of blood, but it missed the spine, liver and kidneys.” A pause. “Forget Brittany and her silly fortunes,” she continued thoughtfully. “Surgeons are the real magicians these days. I’m healing pretty well, and no signs of infection – they took the drains out yesterday. Even the scars don’t look all that bad. I’m feeling a little discomfort – that’s doctor-speak for “hurts like hell” – but I’ve stopped taking the pain killers. They dulled me down too much.”

“You must be a lot tougher than you look,” Sara said.

“Yah, I’d bounce right back from an autopsy.” More graveyard humor – she had come perilously close to just that. “I can get plastic surgery or skin grafts later to cover up the scars, but I don’t think I’ll bother,” Emily continued. “I came out better than the other guy – want the details?”

“What details?” Sara asked.

“I read a copy of his autopsy,” Emily said. “Public record – Dad got it for me. The ribs you broke ruptured the guy’s spleen and punctured both lungs. Not that it made any difference after I cracked his skull – he was already dead, his body just didn’t know it yet. Listed cause of death is cerebral hemorrage and internal exsanguination caused by blunt force trauma – in ten-cent words, we beat and stomped him to death. Some would say we should’ve disarmed and subdued him.”

“That’s what we did,” Sara said. “The DA dropped all charges.”

“Figured he would,” Emily said. “But like I said, it pays to be prepared for the worst case – that’s why I coached you.”

Sara thought about that. “We’d win a trial, wouldn’t we?” she asked. “The dead man’s a murderer who got off on a legal technicality. We rescued Meghan and then defended ourselves when he tried to kill us. What jury would convict us?”

“You never know what a jury will do, but that’s the least of it,” Emily said. “I’m a cop’s daughter, so the Thin Blue Line has my back. Everyone around here knows your parents, and thinks well of them. Your mom’s on the City Council. Your Uncle Steve’s a judge. That’s a lot of horsepower in a town this size.

“And the DA is an elected official,” Emily continued. “This one’s ambitious, sees his job as a stepping-stone to higher office. It would’ve been a high-profile trial – he’d get name recognition and free publicity, but then what? I’ll tell you: he’d make enemies of people whose support he needs right now if he wants to be Governor some day. Come next election, they’d rip him a new asshole. He know that. It’s how the world works.”

The cynicism was breathtaking, but it made perfect sense. “So he kicked us loose,” Sara said.

“He kicked us loose,” Emily agreed. “How are you holding up?”

“Not so well,” Sara admitted. “I have nightmares. I’m up to a pack of cigarettes a day. And I won’t be going to college this fall. Under the circumstances, they gave back my deposit and said they’d hold a place for me in next year’s class. But I doubt I’ll use it – doesen’t seem like there’s much point any more.”

“Not like in the movies, was it?” Emily said – it wasn’t a question. “Getting any help?”

“Two counseling sessions so far, and two more next week,” Sara said. “We’ll see after that. I won’t take drugs – don’t want to lose the edge.”

“So what are your plans?”

“Right now, I’m taking it one day at a time,” Sara said. “One thing I’m sure of, though. I’m getting breast-reduction surgery. These things give me backaches, they get in the way, and they attract way too much attention.”

“A low profile is good,” Emily said. “But you don’t owe any penance.”

“I’m Jewish, not Catholic – we don’t do penance,” Sara said, though the comment cut too close for comfort. “Are you gonna get some counseling too?”

“Already have – Dad asked the police psychologist to see me.” She grinned crookedly. “The poor guy gave up on me after one session – he couldn’t decide whether I’m a stone-psycho sociopath, or the sanest person he’s ever met.”

I can’t either, Sara thought uneasily. “At least it’s over.”

“Is it?” Emily’s tone and expression carried concern, compassion, and... something else. “The first time’s the hardest, Sara,” Emily said. “Take care of yourself.”

The first time? That rattled Sara so much that she left without her shoes, and was was halfway home before she remembered them. I’ll get ‘em later, she thought – she didn’t care to go back.

Then it struck her. The look on Emily’s face had been respect. For the first time ever, Emily had looked at her with respect.

Last edited:
(continued)

***4***

Meghan waited another week and organized a Saturday afternoon gathering – a return to normalcy, she called it. Sara almost blew it off. Five seconds in that farmhouse kitchen had made a grown-up out of her – tickling seemed kind of silly now, kid stuff. But she decided at the last minute to make an appearance – it was the polite thing to do, and her mother had raised her right. She would stay for a decent interval, then ditch.

Meghan greeted Sara at the front door in shorts and t-shirt, barefoot. When Sara asked how she was doing, she said she sometimes had headaches, and was still a little sore. She lifted her top – the bruises were mostly gone, faded to pale yellow, and the shallow cuts were just about healed. No broken bones, and the doctors had told her there probably wouldn’t be any scarring. “I got lucky,” she concluded. “In a manner of speaking.”

There are degrees of luck, Sara thought. He was going to kill you, and it wouldn’t have been an easy death.

A flood of ticklish laughter from the back told Sara she wasn’t the first to arrive – she checked it out. Everybody else was in gym shorts and t-shirts like Meghan and Sara, and all barefoot, even the ticklers.

On the back porch, Rachel was on her tummy, hands tied behind her, legs bent and ankles resting on the seat of a folding chair. Emily sat in the chair with the upturned feet between her thighs – her ankles were locked together, legs crossed over Rachel’s and trapping them in place. She had made a Peace sign, and was drawing tickling circles on Rachel’s very ticklish heels. Rachel was laughing her head off, squirming and trying desperately to pull her feet away. Good, Sara thought – Emily’s busy, so I won’t have to talk to her.

But Meghan moved closer. “Hey Emily, try this.” She reached down and tickled Rachel’s back arches and heels two-handed, inside to outside. Rachel arched her back and laughed at the top of her lungs.

“This too,” Meghan said – she bent down and tickled Emily’s sole.

“Eep!” Emily squealed. “Hehehehe!” she giggled, and pulled away, losing her leg lock.

“Oh shit! I’m such a dumbass!” Meghan said. “Sorry, Emily, I wasn’t thinking.” She grabbed Rachel’s ankles and held them while Emily re-crossed her own. “There ya go.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t break,” Emily said. “Like Sara said last week, I’m tougher than I look.” She dug in, tickling the sweet spots mercilessly. Rachel howled with forced mirth – she couldn’t move, all she could do was lay there and laugh.

“That wasn’t too smart,” Sara said to Meghan.

“Yah, I know,” Meghan said unhappily. “Hey, check out what Vicky’s doing,” she said suddenly, cheerful again. She’s ditzier than usual, Sara thought. Was it from a head injury?

Morgan and Ashley were bound to side-by-side chairs in the back yard, hands tied behind them – their ankles were tied together and tied off to an old saw horse from somebody’s garage. Vicky sat facing the trapped feet, tickling Morgan’s feet with her left hand and Ashley’s with her right. Like most left-handers in a right-handed world, Vicky was pretty much ambidextrous – both ticklees laughed like madwomen, tickled pink, faces streaked with tears of laughter.

“Oops!” Meghan said. “Doorbell. ‘Scuse me.”

“I’m impressed,” Sara called out to Vicky.

“Want some lessons?” Vicky called back over the stereo laughter. “Snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper.”

Meghan was back again – Stephanie had showed up with Tiffany. “How’s it feel to be a hero?” Stephanie asked.

“I didn’t exactly cover myself with glory,” Sara said uncomfortably. “I was scared to death the whole time.”

“My dad was in Vietnam,” Tiffany said. “He told me that’s what it was like for him. But he doesen’t really like to talk about it.”

“Hey Meghan, my fingers are getting tired,” Vicky called out. “Let me borrow your paint brushes, will you?” It didn’t look like Vicky was slowing down to Sara – Morgan and Ashley were both laughing their heads off. But the interruption was well-timed – like Tiffany’s father, Sara didn’t want to talk about it.

“On the ground beside you,” Meghan said. Vicky reached down and grabbed up the brushes – her victims just had time for a deep breath, then she was dusting their soles with the bristle tips, and they laughed even harder than before. Sara took advantage of the interruption and went outside for a closer look.

“Watch this, Sara!” Vicky said. She crossed her hands over, brushing the balls of both pairs of feet, Morgan’s with her right hand and Ashley’s with her left. The ticklish laughter went off the charts.

“But they won’t last long at this rate,” Vicky said regretfully. She swapped her hands back, brushing in circles in both pairs of arches, and the laughter went down a little. “Oh well, this is fun too, and I can keep ‘em going for a long, long time.”

Suddenly, Sara was on her tummy with a weight on her hips. “Gotcha!” Veronica said triumphantly. Sara struggled and tried to buck Veronica off, but Veronica kept her seat like a rodeo cowboy – she grabbed Sara’s ankles and trapped her legs in a figure-four leg lock. Sara felt fingernails just touching her soles – Veronica was teasing her. “Kitchey-koo, Sara!”

“HAHAHA! HAHA-HAHA-HAHAHAHA!” Sara laughed, squirming and bucking, trying desperately to escape the tickling. She heard Morgan and Ashley’s laughter through a haze of tickle torture – Vicky was really getting them good! But Veronica’s tickling fingernails forced wave after wave of ticklish laughter from Sara, and the tickling sensation crowded out all coherent thought.

Veronica tickled down Sara’s arches, onto the heels, and back up to the soles as streams of laughter poured out of Sara. Then holding Sara’s toes back, she tickled a stretched out sole in the exact middle, along the crease. Sara howled with forced mirth as Veronica tickled across the balls of both feet to the other sole. She drew figure-eight’s on the balls of both feet, covering every square inch of sensitive skin with unbearable tickling, then down the arches to the heels.

Sara laughed and laughed – it didn’t last forever, but it seemed that way. Veronica drew tickling shapes in both arches, then held back the toes and guitar-chorded across the stretched-out soles, from left to right and back again. She grabbed the big toes and spider-walked her nails on the balls of both feet, fingernails flying. Sara laughed herself breathless, and mercifully, the tickling stopped.

Veronica dismounted – Sara took long deep breaths, eyes closed, tears of laughter running down her cheeks. Morgan and Ashley were still laughing, harder now, as Vicky’s tickling fingernails roamed their sensitive soles.

“OK, I guess it’s time for a break,” Vicky said. “But first...” She gave the soft pink soles another burst of tiny nail flicks, tickling at warp speed, and the helpless laughter went off the scale. Ashley ran out of air – Vicky switched to two-handed tickling on Morgan, and tickled her breath away too.

Vicky quit and released her ticklees. Both were gasping for air, red faced and sweaty, cheeks streaked with tears. Sara rolled over and sat up – she was pumped, high on endorphins from laughing. It wasn’t like the combat rush, but better than nothing... She stomped hard on that thought.

“That tickled... so much... ” Ashley said, and took a deep breath. “I thought you were gonna tickle me to death!”

“It was fun,” Vicky said. “You have a pretty tickle laugh – like music.”

“So I’m told. How did you learn to tickle like that?”

The twins laughed, and Vicky spoke for both. “There’s three of us girls, and Brittany’s a tickle maniac too.”

“So we know all about it from the inside,” Veronica added. “We just do unto others as they have done unto us. Right, Sara?”

“Well, I’m ready for a cold drink,” Morgan said, fanning herself. “Anybody else?”

“In a little while,” Ashley said, sitting beside Sara. “Got a minute, Sara?”

“I suppose.”

“Ever considered joining the Coast Guard?” Ashley asked.

“No.” She hadn’t even thought about it, or any of the Armed Forces for that matter.

“You should,” Ashley said. “Kelly’s sister Molly is a Coastie, did you know that? And I’m going in at the end of the summer. I thought about it long and hard, and talked with Molly before I made the decision.” She paused, searching for the right words. “We’ve knocked around, Mom and me. That might suit some people, but I’m not strong enough to be happy with that sort of life. I need to be part of a group, with accepted and respected relationships – a framework of duties and obligations, customs and traditions. Molly says the Coast Guard will give me that, like it did for her. Important work, shipmates to argue with, a Chief to put me right if I go astray. In other words, a place to belong. I think that’s been lacking in your life too.”

“I... never thought of it that way,” Sara said. “Maybe you’re right, though. I’ll have to think it over. Have you talked to Emily too?”

Ashley laughed. “Yah – she’s the original Autonomous Individual. She does have the strength to go it alone – more than both of us combined.”

A presence nearby. “Anybody using these chairs?” Candice asked.

“Help yourself,” Sara said, looking up – Candice was with Alex and Julie Budanov.

“You’re a lefty too, Julie,” Candice said. “I want to sing a duet with your sister. Think you can manage that?”

“No question about it,” Julie said confidently. “I owe you and Alex one anyway, for last night – you guys tickled me so much, I thought my toes were gonna fall off!”

Ashley stood and offered Sara a hand-up. “It’s gonna get noisy here. Let’s grab some Cokes – we can talk more later, if you like.”

They found Meghan sitting cross-legged on the porch with Stephanie’s ankles trapped in a leg lock, tickling with skill and enthusiasm. Stephanie was flat on her back, helpless, laughing at the top of her lungs, completely overcome by the tickling sensation.

Meghan looked up. “Hey, check this out!” She didn’t miss a stroke – Stephanie laughed like a madwoman, red-faced, tears streaming from her closed eyes.

“Be with you shortly,” Ashley said. “Let’s get those Cokes, Sara – I’m pretty dry.”

Back out on the porch, they pulled up two chairs and sat. Ashley crossed one thigh over the other, bare foot dangling. “Is it my imagination, or is she more ticklish than usual?” she asked.

“I noticed that too,” Meghan said. “She’s been playing with Alex lately – Alex says the more you tickle her, the more ticklish she gets.” She spider-walked her nail tips from soles to heels, over and over, covering the ticklish flesh with unbearable tickling. “Listen to her laugh – she’s almost as ticklish as you are now.” She demonstrated, circling a single nail around and on the ball of one foot – Stephanie laughed her head off, red-faced and sweaty, her hair in tangles around her head. “Want some of this?”

“Nah, enjoy yourself,” Sara said. “I’ll find my own.” Quickly, she reached down and tickled Ashley’s dangling foot.

“AH-HAHAHA!” Ashley laughed – she really was that ticklish. She pulled her foot away and giggled. “Find somebody else – I still haven’t caught my breath!”

“Shouldn’t be too hard,” Sara said, getting up. “Catch you later.”

In the back yard, Julie was tickling Candice and Alex, like Vicky had tickled Morgan and Ashley. Sara studied the scene. Julie was flicking Candice’s soles left-handed, getting great reactions and a flood of helpless laughter. She was using her weaker right hand on Alex, but like Vicky, left-handed Julie was pretty much ambidextrous. She was using random nail-stroke patterns to tickle both girls, and Alex was laughing just as hard as Candice. Julie spider-walked her nails on both pairs of soles, and 20 toes twitched as the girls laughed with wild abandon.

“Bum a smoke?” Emily asked.

Sara turned away from the tickling scene and faced Emily. “Yah, sure,” she said, reaching for her cigarettes. She had been avoiding Emily, but this was different – she had already figured out that not letting a fellow addict bum a cigarette was very bad form.

Emily waved away the pack. “Front stoop is the smoking area, so we don’t smoke everybody else out. Have one with me – I need fire too, and a kick in the chest to get the suction going.”

Emily sat on the front steps and accepted a cigarette from Sara. “Sit with me.”

Sara sat and lit up too. “What’s on your mind?”

“You’re afraid of me, aren’t you?”

Sara looked down at her feet. “Yes,” she whispered. “The way you killed that man... Yah, I helped, and he deserved to die... You could’ve done it by yourself. You got shot because you were protecting Meghan and me.”

“Yes,” Emily said. “But don’t sell yourself short – when the shit hit the fan, you jumped right in and evened the odds. Be honest with yourself, Sara – you’re afraid of the capacity for violence you discovered in yourself.”

Emily took a drag, gathering her thoughts. “Not everyone has that capacity. Most will never need it – we live peaceful lives for the most part, though it hasn’t always been so. Those who do... Tell me, how did you feel at the end? When help was on the way, and there was nothing left to do but wait?”

“Ashamed,” Sara said. “And... more alive than I’ve ever felt before. Ever since that day, I’ve run it over and over again in my mind, trying to make sense of it.” A thoughtful pause. “You meant to kill him right from the first,” she added quietly.

Emily smoked in silence, her gaze far away – Sara began to think she wouldn’t answer. But then–

“Once you’ve killed another person, your life changes forever,” Emily said. “Good reason, bad reason or none at all, you’ve crossed a divide, and there’s no going back.” A pause. “And there’s a downhill slope on the other side. It’s easier to kill a second time, and the third time easier still. It can become no more than a chore. A few monsters... come to enjoy it.”

Gottenu, is she talking about herself? thought Sara, horrified.

“That’s what that man was like,” Emily said. “That’s why I killed him, and did it without hesitation or remorse. You sensed it too, or you wouldn’t have done what you did. Not because of what you thought – there was no time for that. Because of what you are. And slaying a monster was pretty satisfying, wasn’t it?” Emily asked. “No, don’t answer, that’s not a fair question... ”

She paused, searching for the right words. “No one reads Nietzsche any more, your people especially. But he said something that bears directly: He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster: for if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” That’s something to think about before the next time. And for you, there will be a next time.”

She turned and looked at Sara. “I never had much regard for you, Sara. I had you figured for an adrenaline junkie. Your parents’ influence and connections could get you out of anything short of murder. You’re smart enough to know that, so you had to push a little harder every time to get the rush. That sort of thing can get you killed. Or worse, the poor bastard who has your back.

“Going into that farm house was foolhardy, but you made the call and I backed you. Turns out it was a good call – it saved Meghan’s life. And when he pulled a gun on us– ”

“I was so afraid... ” Sara whispered, looking away and fighting back tears.

“You instinctively used the weapon you had, and took the initiative away from him. That gave me an opening. I took it, and you had my back. You were clumsy, but the right kind of training will fix that. If that’s what you want.”

Emily put her hands on Sara’s shoulders and looked directly into her eyes. “I was wrong about you, Sara. You did good. You did everything right.”

Sara burst into tears – Emily hugged her and let her cry it out.

Sara eventually wound down to sniffles, disengaged and blotted tears on her collar. “Remember Brittany’s fortune?” Emily asked. “Protector, she called you. Defender of innocent life. Looks to me like she nailed it.”

“What about yours?” Sara asked.

Emily seemed surprised. “Blood and wounds? Sudden death?”

“Life Eternal,” Sara answered.

“I am the Resurrection and the Life, saith the Lord,” Emily quoted. “He that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.”

“That’s from the Christian funeral service, isn’t it?” Sara asked.

Emily nodded. “Someday, someone will read those words over me. There’s my immortality, Sara – same as everyone else.” She grinned. “Not that I’m in any hurry, mind you.”

Under falsehood have we hid ourselves... “Who the hell are you, anyway?” Sara asked suddenly.

“Why, I’m Emily,” she said. “You know that. Now let’s police-up these cigarette butts and rejoin the party.”

“You go ahead,” Sara said. “I need to do some thinking.”

Sara lit another cigarette. She was sure about Emily now – the redhead was the sanest person she had ever met. And she looked at Ashley’s suggestion in a new light. The Coast Guard is a military organization, and a rescue service, but it has a law enforcement function too. A law enforcement officer’s job is to serve and protect...

She ground out her cigarette and went around the house to the trash can to throw the butt away. Laughter greeted her. She got rid of the butt and went to investigate.

Brittany had bushwhacked Ashley and trapped her in the figure-four leg lock. Now, Ashley was laughing her head off as Brittany tickled her upturned feet.

Brittany spotted Sara. “This is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on,” she said happily – she made claws of her hands and zig-zagged the nail tips soles-to-heels, driving Ashley wild. She guitar-chorded Ashley’s heels, forcing a solid stream of musical laughter. She drew tickling spirals up the arches, then tickle-tortured Ashley’s soles with both hands, fingernails flying.

“Mind if I watch?” Sara asked.

“Knock yourself out,” Brittany said – she grabbed Ashley’s big toes, made a Peace sign and scratched the balls of Ashley’s feet, just behind the big toes. Ashley laughed at the top of her lungs, eyes closed, tears of laughter streaming down her cheeks.

I’ll talk to Ashley again after Brittany finishes with her, thought Sara. The way she’s laughing, it won’t be long. Wonder if she still has any literature from the recruiter who signed her up? And maybe check out some other options too...

Protector, Sara thought. I like the sound of that.

***THE END***

Last edited:
Afterword...

Someone on this board once asked why no one had ever written a “serious” tickling story. The general consensus of those who responded was that tickling is basically a fun activity. I agreed at the time – tickling is frivolous by its very nature, and the stories reflect that. But the question got stuck in my head, where my evil subconscious had a chance to chew on it.

A musician once told me that he liked the banjo because it was impossible to play a sad song on it. Not true – Doc and Rosa-Lee Watson wrote one about 40 yrs ago (it’s called “Your Long Journey” – there are videos on YouTube if you’re interested.) I lack their talent, but I was inspired by the exception. This story was the result, and it’s a lot darker than anything else I’ve ever written.

Incidentally, Brittany’s reaction to the marijuana was extreme but not unknown. The immediate effects of tetrahydrocannabinol mimic the symptoms of schizophrenia, and in fact the stuff can trigger an acute psychotic episode in susceptible individuals. Doubt me? Google-up “cannabis-induced psychosis” and read all about it in the medical literature. All the more reason to leave it alone unless you have a compelling medical reason that justifies the risk of using it.

Just about every Tickle Street story is a good-natured romp – “Protector” is the opposite. I hope you enjoyed it anyway.

Strelnikov

My God! You are a talented writer

You are my favorite author on this board and I have read all your stories. Congratulations on the first "serious" tickle story. Maybe it will lead to others, much as Edgar Allan Poe was the first to write the murder mysteries we enjoy today. I think what made it so enjoyable was that it took us upon a path we did not know we were going to travel when the journey started. Again, well done. I wish I had your talent.

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back