• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Magic Garden - ticklish discussion

BigBrownEyes

2nd Level Red Feather
Ok, I'm going way back here. There was a kids' show called "The Magic Garden" that no doubt some people here remember. It was hosted by two cute ladies, Paula Janis and Carole Dumas.

Here's the thing, I watched this show when I was a kid and I swear I remember an episode where the two ladies were sitting on their swings and having a convo about tickling. They were either talking about tickling someone's feet, or being ticklish themselves...I can't remember exactly.

Does anyone else remember? I very well might be alone on this one. But, hey, if anyone else in the world can shed on light on this one, it's going to be here.

Last edited:
The Magic Garden was not syndicated nationally and many on this forum may not be familiar with it. It was locally produced for WPIX-TV, Channel 11, New York, an independent station without a network affiliation. However, WPIX in the 1980's became a "superstation" and was added to a number of cable lineups. As a result, many people outside of New York (like myself) became familiar with The Magic Garden.

There may have been more than one scene involving tickling--I certainly have not seen all the episodes--but here is one:

In most episodes, Paula and Carole would listen for the giggles of the "chuckle" patch, a flowerbed that would giggle collectively when it had produced riddles for Paula and Carole to read aloud to the viewers at home. The jokes were usually quite bad.

Well, in this particular episode, Carole said offhand, "I wonder what would happen if you tickled a chuckle." "I bet I know" was Paula's reply. Paula then attempted to explain what tickling was to the children at home who might never have been tickled. It was something along the lines of "If you have never been tickled, it's a feeling unlike any other."

Carole added that her brother used to tickle her feet when she was a girl and "it was just...just...hard to describe." The tickling discussion was brief and nonspecific and ultimately Carole reached into the chuckle patch and tickled the stem of one of the chuckles with her forefinger.

The chuckles responded with their normal giggles, which I presume was just a stock sound effect, and didn't sound any different to me, but Carole and Paula seemed to react as though these giggles were especially enthusiastic. "The whole patch seemed to enjoy that as much as the chuckle did," referring to the fact that Carole had only tickled one of them but the whole patch had giggled.

Carole and Paula discovered that the chuckle patch had, as usual, disgorged several riddles, which seemed to me to be just as bad as the riddles they produced every week, but Paula and Carole seemed to like them. Paula remarked that "these jokes are better than usual." "Yes," Carole agreed, "I'm going to have to tickle you more often."

I don't know that she ever did, however. What struck me the most about this scene, on a children's program, was the clear message that tickling and being tickled was a fun activity. Most children's programs tend to show tickling as highly unpleasant, a useful tool of interrogators to extract information. The chuckle was said to "enjoy" the experience and neither Paula nor Carole reflected upon being tickled with anything but fondness.

Obviously, considering that this was a kids' show, there were no erotic undertones to the discussion or to the activity. That being said, even as a boy, it seemed to me that being rooted to the spot like a chuckle plant and allowing Carole's fingers to roam over me probably would not be torture at all. Carole Dumas, in particular, was strikingly pretty.

Because The Magic Garden was in-house programming for one specific television station, no exhaustive DVD collection has ever been made. However, Paula and Carole have released a collection of their ten favorite episodes. I have no idea whether that includes this scene.

Hope this helps.

Great 1st post....

Welcome aboard Julian. Excellent first post. I actually remember the show.....god that makes me old.

Good stuff.

Giantfan :devil:

Thank you, Julian, for making your first post a response to my question! That definitely jogs my memory a little. I ran into someone recently who remembered me from childhood and it's been making dwell on things like "The Magic Garden."

I knew there was tickling reference in there somewhere! I'm not even sure which one is Carol, and which one is Paula. I know I had a big crush on the one who looks likes Katherine Ross. There was another episode where she was talking about tickling someone's feet and she said "they always laugh.."

But thank you again for helping me to remember!

I agree, that they approached the tickling topic in a differenet manner than you see today. They talked about like it was fun and a normal part of life. That was everyone's attitude about tickling when I was in kid. We tickled each other, asked each other if we were ticklish, and even talked about tickling. I remember that someone got tickled just about every day!

Hey, no wonder I turned out to be damn ticklephile!

This turned out to be a good topic I think.

Last edited:
I remember The Magic Garden, the girls, and the chuckle patch. I never caught any tickle mentions but I think I used to tune in as a kid hoping for one episode where they'd be barefoot.:woot2:

Drew

There are some clips on Youtube of The Magic Garden. I don't know if the tickling mention episodes or scenes are posted.

Not to sound like a complete loser.........but I checked.

and no, there's not.:blush2::facepalm2:

Drew

Both Carole and Paula are Ticklish

I vaguely remember that episode, too. I believe Paula started the discussion (FYI - she was the chunky round-faced brunette with long raven hair), and then snuck up behind Carole (the thinner one who usually wore pigtails) and tweaked her ribs, getting Carole to jump and wince, perhaps giggle. I think Carole tickled Paula back, and one of them (again, I think Paula), mentioned that her brother used to tickle her feet all the time.

It's been years, but I remember it, too!

That's cool that a lot of people here remember the Magic Garden! I knew someone here would remember the show. But I'm pleasantly surprised that some of you remember the tickling scene.

I have some memory of tickling on that show, but it's foggy. I also checked out you.tube. All they have is some musical highlights. There's no tickling, but the theme songs do bring back a big rush of memories.

Children's show or not, the tickling scenes you gals/guys described sound like really good scenes. Carole must have been the one I had the crush on. Looking back on it, the reasons are obvious!

As Julian mentioned, there's a DVD set, with 10 episodes, available. I'll take a shot at finding out if the tickle scenes are included.

I think we've undercovered something here. Sounds like tickling really was treated differently in the past. The ladies on this show openly tickled each other then talked about it. Do you ever see anything like that anymore?

Just for additional details, Carol Demas (NOT Dumas) played Sandy in the ORIGINAL Broadway production of Grease. http://www.imdb .com/name/nm0218180/bio

For some reason, wikipedia has both of them as becoming school teachers,which isn't true for Carol. http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/The_Magic_Garden_(TV_series)

Door 44 Productions
What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back