• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

WoW - ok, I'm 80, now what?

TMF Jeff

TMF owner and co-founder
I've been playing WoW for basically my second time through. I got to 70 once, and now I wanted to play again and try the Lich King content, which in general I thought was really good. I love the way the world seems more natural, with wolves spontaneously attacking herbivores, and birds landing on rhino's for a ride (insert your own Pete joke here.)

So now I've made my way to 80 and I'm sort of at a loss as to how to proceed. I'm on an RP-PVP server because I wanted to be on a player versus player server, but didn't want to have to deal with too many shitheads with names like IPwnedUrMom.

I want to continue to focus on PVP, and in particular I want to avoid the arena. So I guess that means primarily doing battlegrounds, and I'm wondering if someone more experience can give me a briefing on where I should go and what my focus should be.

I'm a human rogue if that matters :cool:

CONGRATS ON 80!

You seem to be going about it right. You've reached 80 and that will enable you to play all 5 battlegrounds. You can go for current season arena epics without actually entering the arena by doing heroic instances and gaining badges. These badges you can trade in for either pieces of your raiding set or the arena battlegear. Since you're pvp, i would suggest the battlegear. Heroic instances are fun and challenging and they will provide a much needed break from pvp when you want one. They will also provide a shit load of reputation with the faction of the tabard you are wearing so you can eventually get epics from them too.

The new patch has allowed for duel talent spec so if you want to turn to raiding you wont have to scrap you're pvp talent tree or glyphs.

Let us know if you have anymore questions :D

- The Emperor

You can also boy pvp gear with badges. Prolly not current, but it's a start

For the Alliance! =D

Find out how your Battlegroup is for battlegrounds. On Emberstorm, where I am, Alliance does better in the evening and late at night, for some strange reason, so I try to solo queue then. Every Battlegroup is different. Premades are fun too! Find some buddies and roll some Horde. I'm a bit saddened that you want to avoid the arenas though, those can be fun too, I do enjoy them. But - to each their own. =)

A few things to remember. First of all, mut/prep is the PvP spec for rogues right now, as far as I know. Use fan of knives liberally in group combat to spread wound/crippling, it's pretty awesome to slow and put MS on all your enemies. You can also defend nodes very well as a rogue in AB, if you're outnumbered, chain sap the flag cappers while calling in /bg for help, then when sap goes on DR, open up and vanish/cloak. Start sapping again. You've bought 30 or so seconds for the calvary.

As far as gear goes, get weapons from raids/heroics if you can - you can't get PvP weapons unless you're rated 1850 or above in arenas. There is also a crafted PvP set to start out with (Eviscerator's Armor) that LWers can make for you.

Good luck and I hope you kill a lot of Horde. =D

Use fan of knives liberally in group combat to spread wound/crippling, it's pretty awesome to slow and put MS on all your enemies.

This was all really great advice, and thanks! This in particular is absolutely the best advice I've ever been given on battlefield conduct. I never thought about fan of knives spreading my poisons until you said this, and I'm definately adding this move to my repertoire!

How do rogues do in the arena? I assumed not very well, and a glance at the leader boards shows few to zero rogues.

Rogues aren't too well represented at the very top brackets, no. But aside from the very, very top, rogues are quite well represented. You can definitely be very successful as a rogue and it's still a very powerful class and well represented at most levels.

Rogue/DPriest has always been a solid comp for 2s as far as I can remember, and it's still a bloody pain for us to fight. I've also run into some Rogue/RDruid. Rogue/Ret, Rogue/Mage, and Rogue/Destro Lock are also very good, in my opinion - playing 2 DPS is much more exciting and fast-paced, but your margin for error is much less.

No matter what comp you play though, as long as you have a good time and learn every week, there's nothing to lose from doing arenas. =)

If you ever want to talk about arenas, PvP, or anything like that, feel free to PM me. I love to smash Horde face, and I'll do anything to help a brother smash Horde face too!

Do Heroic instances for gear and the dailies. Use your emblems from bosses to buy better gear, continue to PvP between instances, and perhaps eventually join into the raids on occasion should the opportunity arise.

Check out the argent tournament dailies if you haven't already, 'cause they're good money. After you hit Champion level with one race, you'll have 8 dailies to do with like 5 of them being done in the same area at the same time.

Get 5k and get your epic flying mount.

Eventually get bored and quit.

There a lot of Druid/DK's running around at high-end Arena these days, it's a pretty solid match--up and for all intents and purposes it's the anti-class of Rogue/Priest, so that explains lack of high-end representation. It also has to be said that although muti/prep is very strong, it's almost getting *too* good and becoming predictable to play against. If you're considering something equally viable in BG's but more difficult to counter, try the ColdStep set-up; it's essentially shadow-step, ambush and cold-blood ('prepped by Preperation ofc) for maximum burst-damage and high survivability. It doesn't get much use these days, which may play to your advantage, but it is much more difficult to use than muti/prep, and will take a lot of practice to pull off.

Gear and Gem for Agility and AP,and watch out for the next patch (due very soon) that is making major changes to Resilience; it used to reduce crit damage (I think), it's now, I believe, going to be a damage reducer for all attacks. Rogue burst dmg may be nerfed a fair bit if this ends up being the case.

Hope that helps.

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back