• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Fallout 3

BlackestLily

3rd Level Green Feather
Forgive me in advance because I'm going to be rambling in this.

I first played a few years ago, and thought it was okay, but didn't nearly get me the way Elder Scrolls: Oblivion did. I got Oblivion out of my system for now though, and my sister recently bought a PS3 along with Fallout so I decided to give it another try. It feels VERY draggy in the beginning, but now stuff is really moving along for me. But it's got me wondering. Is there any way to download updates and new missions for the game? Is there any plan in the works for cheaper additions for it? (Like how Shivering Isles was developed for Oblivion.)

Do you think they'll ever develop a partnership of online play so you can log on and team up with others to complete missions? (I'm thinking like in the way SORT OF that Warcraft works.) I see HUUUUUGE potential for this game, and I think it would be amazing to be able to partner up with someone if they brought in harder, group missions. Also for those who've played it, how long would you say it took you before you beat it or almost beat it?

Well I have it for the 360. There are expansions that are downloadable, but it if was a new copy for the PS3 it may have had them all included by now, they love to release umpteen 'game of the year editions' that has all that stuff included. There was one expansion where you can go through the ruins of Pittsburgh, there was one I think that took you to Anchorage, and another one that has a crashed flying saucer that is somewhere in the main Capitol wasteland. The game's been out for quite some time so I don't think they'll have any kind of online co-operative play. I never did actually beat it, then again I never beat Oblivion, or Morrowind (the previous elder scrolls game). They're so big that my attention goes elsewhere after a while. But fallout was damn fun once I got some skills up...I would get this morbid sense of glee when I would snipe a guy with a crappy hunter rifle and his head would explode in slow motion. Yay violence! I got as far as trying to get into some slave trading place called Paradise Falls. Haven't played it since. but I agree that it would have been awesome to include some sort of group thing. Maybe the PC version could with the proper mod.

I first played a few years ago, and thought it was okay, but didn't nearly get me the way Elder Scrolls: Oblivion did. I got Oblivion out of my system for now though, and my sister recently bought a PS3 along with Fallout so I decided to give it another try. It feels VERY draggy in the beginning, but now stuff is really moving along for me. But it's got me wondering. Is there any way to download updates and new missions for the game? Is there any plan in the works for cheaper additions for it? (Like how Shivering Isles was developed for Oblivion.)

Do you think they'll ever develop a partnership of online play so you can log on and team up with others to complete missions? (I'm thinking like in the way SORT OF that Warcraft works.) I see HUUUUUGE potential for this game, and I think it would be amazing to be able to partner up with someone if they brought in harder, group missions. Also for those who've played it, how long would you say it took you before you beat it or almost beat it?

I bought Elder Scroles Oblivion recently (because Lynda Carter does the voice of the Norn queen)... and it sucks crome off a bumper. Fallout 3 is a much better game.

They released a Game of the Year edition that was the base game and the five expansion packs at the retail price of the original game. I do not know how much it costs now, but to get all the additions (which involve something like at least 25 hours more gameplay, along with new level caps and new enemies and areas) on top of the game might make sense. You can get those additions online, I do believe, or through your consoles. If you can somehow circumvent the DRM, you might be able to get it on the cheap...but I don't know.

But as of now, development for Fallout 3 has finished, as Bethesda has moved on to development of the next Fallout game, which is scheduled to come out next year.

Like Oblivion, you can just do the main quest line and be done...and in actuality, there are ways to shortcut the main quest if you know what you are doing. But in my play throughs? I played Fallout 3 close to 60-80 hours on the XBox 360 and decided to beat it because I had gotten to the point where my ability to play it was going to dry up. I bought the GOTY edition and had sunk close to 80 hours into the game, this time knowing what I had to do but at the same time trying to be more of a completionist, and I had only barely touched the Point Lookout stuff. I still had quite a bit left to do. Broken Steel retcons the original ending, and basically takes you beyond the original ending point (once you get there, you understand why the original ending happened the way it did, even though the logical manner in which this original ending could have been avoided was not available even though it should have been...yeah). If you want, you can make Fallout 3 last you over a hundred hours.

As for the online partnership, I don't think that it would work with the engines Bethesda builds, nor would it work in the worlds they have. Given general density of areas in comparison to World of Warcraft are actually pretty small, and the ability to put that sort of content into the game is a real stretch unless there is some server side management. I think the approach that Borderlands took might have legs, but at the same time, I think that the game is made to be enjoyed a single player experience beyond all others. With WoW, so much of the content someone would buy the game for is locked because it depends on the ability to get on with a group, and it deals with such a time investment to get the maximum value out of the product that it becomes a job. In Fallout 3, you can set up an action plan of what you would like to do on this night, where you could go, what questline you want to hit up. Interplay (the original rights holder to Fallout) has stated they would like to make an MMO for Fallout, but who knows...it's not like the company is actually self funded at this state.

I mean, I can see how people can look at Fallout and say "there is potential for how this could work with multiple people working on questlines", but I think the actual mechanics of the game are not tuned to allow something like that...and also I think the fiction is very much what you make of it. I found the game much more immersive than WoW because things seemed more finite, and I knew I would be able to do the things I wanted to do in the Capital Wasteland. I think the game that scratches some of those itches, as the ones you prescribe, is Borderlands.

There's an idea! Purr, if you like the post apocalyptic thing but want to play it with friends, look into getting Borderlands. It's available for consoles and PC and it's designed to be a co-op, just not across multiple systems, which is sad. It's a mix of different types of games but it's got a role-playing feel to it. Take a look at the wee trailer that Jay posted about it, a few posts down on this forum. :) You still do quests like an rpg, but it's got more potential for mindless fun.

I personally loved Fallout 3. I'm a big fan of free roaming environments and the whole idea of a nuclear wasteland set up in our nations capital added a sentimental, patriotic touch to it. In comparison, I prefer the solo, isolated loneliness tone the game gives, that being the more realistic approach to a nuclear disaster's aftermath. Graphics and game play were simple and straight forward . . the enemies were imaginative, but redundant and easy to read no matter what the difficulty. And the f'ing scorpions creeped me the hell out!! Overall 9/10.

been a Fallout fan since FO1, at first I was a little iffy about FO3 but after a few hours of playing it felt the whole thing wasn't so bad as the haters would want you to believe... could summarize it more clearly like this

Good
-----
-bad karma for stealing stuff
-lockpick and hacking got a bit more interesting
-nice view of the FO universe, now could see how the things happen up close
-ThreeeeeeDaaaaaawwwwg
-Moira <3

Bad
----
-they made muties more like wastable expendable fantasy orcs
-companions, except Dogmeat
-just wish they made a thing that skips past the Vault sequence
-the fact that after you get a steady supply of ammo, guns, food, and drugs you pretty much just "pwn" the entire Washington area

I keep meaning to play FO3, I just haven't had the time yet.

Oblivion was a lot of fun, but Morrowind was a much better game. :D I really hope FO3 has less of the hand-holding "mass market appeal" BS than Oblivion did...

Oblivion was a lot of fun, but Morrowind was a much better game. :D I really hope FO3 has less of the hand-holding "mass market appeal" BS than Oblivion did...

I liked morrowind...but in a fantasy RPG I still kinda prefer the old tolkien stuff like goblins, trolls, medieval castles, etc. Morrowind had floating jellyfish and giant mushrooms. Doesn't mean it wasn't good, it was great! I prefer the setting in Oblivion though.

I am a *HUGE* fan of the Fallout series of games!

I own them all, and there are more in production! WOOT! There was some scuttlebutt about there being the potential for a Fallout MMORPG, but it was just rumor at the time, and if there was any production planned, it's tied up in legal hell now, so I doubt we'll ever see it. But Fallout has a huge, dedicated core of devoted followers, so I'm sure the Wasteland will have more games in store as long as there's money to be made off us!

Here's a good place to keep up to date on the Fallout universe;
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

I'm also a fan of this one;
http://www.nma-fallout.com/

Enjoy!

In all seriousness, you are missing out on a massively fantastic game. Ok, so it takes a while to get into it's rhythm...but once you get past the vault. Fuck. Yes. This game is awesome. I never felt like it was a "mass market appeal" type game whatsoever. Without hyping it up more than it already has been here by others and me, I'd just give it a shot. I think you'll be very happy you finally picked it up, just be patient with the build up to actually getting out into the Wasteland. ;)

To the OP: I haven't played the expansion packs yet but you can find them easy in the Playstation Store which you access through the PS3's main menu. If you get them, I'd love to know your opinion on which ones are worth buying. :bounce:

To the OP: I haven't played the expansion packs yet but you can find them easy in the Playstation Store which you access through the PS3's main menu. If you get them, I'd love to know your opinion on which ones are worth buying. :bounce:

Though I am not the original poster...

Operation Anchorage is alright, but it is a very linear combat focused add on that you get some decent gear from (the armor is pretty solid), but at the end, depends totally on how much you enjoy Fallout 3 combat. It's alright. Not the greatest thing in the world.

Broken Steel seems like a requirement, since it fundamentally changes the game. Increased level cap, new perks, and the continuation of the game from the original end point. I also believe this is the one that starts putting level 30 enemies into the world, which can really suck if you are level five and exploring around someplace and OH SHIT SON FERAL GHOUL REAVER. The Pitt seemed promising, and having explored a bit of Point Lookout, I think it touches on a lot of my backwater sensibilities in how that game could work in a more southern environment.

I mean, if you had to get one, Broken Steel is the one to get. If two, Broken Steel and Point Lookout. If three? Add The Pitt. I have next to no interest in Mothership Zeta.

Hey I just stumbled on this - didn't know there was a section here for gamers too! How cool! I'm a big GTA IV/MW2 fan myself :).

:bump:

With the imminent release of the newest expansion pack "New Vegas", I thought this might be an opportune moment to give this a bump to exchange thoughts.

I :bubbleheart: Fallout.

With the imminent release of the newest expansion pack "New Vegas", I thought this might be an opportune moment to give this a bump to exchange thoughts.

I :bubbleheart: Fallout.

But it isn't an expansion pack; New Vegas is an entirely new game, with a new disc and everything.

I just want that out there because some might think 'oh man, need to go get the Fallout 3 disc and buy this online to be able to play it'.

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back