• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Old show from A&E ~ maybe a friendly Brit can help?

toyou444

1st Level Blue Feather
I may have posted this years ago in amt or the list I sent Psycho but...

It has to have been 20 years ago (right after we got cable) and A&E was only on in the evenings where we lived. (Nickelodeon was on until something like 6pm.) One of the things they did was run a lot of British shows like Are you being served? One show which I do NOT know the name of is burned in my memory...can you guess why? :D

Without being able to remember too much the last scene of the show had a husbandin wife in bed. His feet were up over his shoulders... the premise being he had gotten stuck while exercising...so his face was right between his feet. As he was talking to his wife, complaining about his current situation, she says something like "well I like you like this" and ran a finger down his foot. (Now clearly these were not his feet but someone hidden off screen to make it appear that they were his.) The foot twitched and he laughed and said now stop. She tickled the other foot and he laughed again and tried to swat her hands away while she kept tickling one foot and then the other while the credits rolled over the scene. I never saw that again. Like I said, I don't even know the title or the exact year it was on.

Maybe someone from across the pond can be of help?

~ toyou

Where are all the friendly Brits?

Sounds good but I'm a bloody Yank, so I can't help :(

P.S. I've watched "Are You Being Served?" on PBS and it's pretty damn funny :)

Hmmm

It sounds as if it was any number of marital bliss British sitcoms of that time; let's see if any of these help at all.

George and Mildred, Man About the house, Robin's Nest, The Good Life, Bless this House, The Likely Lads.....

Any help? Actually, it may well have been an Australian sitcom. Without meaning to start an international tickle fight (although. let's be honest, wouldn't that be great!?!?), from the U S programmes I've seen in England, there does seem to be the idea that Aussies and Brits sound alike.....trust me, we don't!!

Gorrrdboi, Meeeerie Pohhhpins...(*GRIN*)

On the matter at hand, though, hope I was some help to you.

SmashTV

Hey! No fair make fun of us Americans! Don't you know we're the only super power left! LOL

Anywho, thanks to the like of Monty Python, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Kenny Everett, "Are youy being served", "Keeping up Appearances", etc...I can tell the difference between a brit and an aussie...lol

None of those title rang a bell Smash, but I'm not sure I ever knew the title! I can only remember watching that last bit!

~ toyou

british comedy is the best in the world... espescially python; they dont make stuff like they used to... *sob* for some reason, brit comedy is totally different to yank comedy... both are funny, but we have the cutting edge, i like to think.

are you sure you haven't got us confused with aussies? you bloody well had better not...

ive never seen that reference, im sorry. there are other brits here though...

I'm sure it wasn't Australian...I 'm pretty sure I've never seen an Australian television show! LOL! Way out in the boonies of PA that would be almost like receiving an alien transmission from space!

What's funny is I've told you all I know about the show...but I've never forgotten the scene in last the 20 years...sigh...I'm even fairly sure it was on before we owned a VCR! LOL!

~ toyou

Yes, coolman, Britcoms are cool!

I've watched some shows of Are You Being Served, Benny Hill, and Monty Python, and the situations, slapstick, and jokes I've seen are hilarious. I especially like the fast-motion on Benny's show (not to mention all the hot chicks) :blaugh:

My Speciality Subject!!!

A little of the subject at hand here, but as a comedy connesseisur, both UK and US, while I believe that British comedy is the superior brand (League of Gentlemen, Spaced, The Office, Brass Eye, Alan Partridge plus classics such as Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers and Python) credit should be given to Frasier, Cheers, Seinfeld and (reluctantly) Friends, as they are all quality comedies. Even Happy Days still withstand the test of time!!

While I feel that Britcoms are more original and 'cutting edge', as my compatriot Coolman said, at the end of the day, it's all down to taste. Mind you, even Frasier, one of my all time faves, VERY sophisticated and well written, had Daphne, supposedly from Manchester (yeah, right!), referred to as a Cockney tart, AND had an Australian actor playing her brother, AND to top it off he had, wait for it, AN AUSTRALIAN ACCENT!!!!!! If the writers of Frasier think that we sound like Aussies, then I guess that proves it. We must do.

Incidentally, just to add to all this, Jane Leeves, who plays Daphne on Frasier, was once one of the Hill's Angels (the scantily clad women that surrounded Benny Hill during his song and dance numbers and speeded up chases). And so the circle is complete. Small word, huh? Strewth!!! As we (supposedly) say in England....

Cheers,
SmashTV

I like American comedies too, although none made after the 1980s. I'd probably enjoy Britcoms even more if I understood more of the slang. I saw the pilot episode of "Man About the House" on TVLand (The channel showed it along with the pilot of "Three's Company," which was based on "Man About the House" to compare them), and the British version was funny enough, but some of the expressions used went right over my head, including the one used to describe Robin Tripp (Jack Tripper in the American series) being gay. Even so, it was quite hilarious. I especially liked the British Ropers, they were great. As we (young people) say in America, see ya, dude! :)

hey smash, i dont supose youve seen 'my family'? (bbc1, fri, 8:30). its great, not only as it is very funny, but all the critics said it was old hat and it would never work. they were wrong.

you also, of course, forget blackadder...

coolman said:
hey smash, i dont supose youve seen 'my family'?
See it last night? There was a foot fetish mention!

When the eldest said his brother was lucky to go shoe shopping, he also said "just imagine all those ladies naked feet". His brother replied "what???" to which he said with a daft grin "maybe its just me then".

When he started to say he wanted a woman to cut in half, i got my hopes up a bit.

btw what is A&E? We have a show called that here.

Re: What is A&E?

ticklstar, A&E stands for Arts & Entertainment. It's an American cable channel devoted to mostly drama and documentaries, although comedy is sometimes shown. I don't watch it much, but I think it shows a fair amount of British programs. If you're in the UK, you might like it. I hope I've answered your question! :)

P.S. If only I had a magic box :D

ticklstar said:

See it last night? There was a foot fetish mention!

When the eldest said his brother was lucky to go shoe shopping, he also said "just imagine all those ladies naked feet". His brother replied "what???" to which he said with a daft grin "maybe its just me then".

When he started to say he wanted a woman to cut in half, i got my hopes up a bit.

btw what is A&E? We have a show called that here.

yeah, i did see that, but i didn't think it was worth mentioning here. i thought it was funny more than anything else. brilliant show.(my family, not A&E - thats one of the most awful things on tv)

Coolman, let's me and you go to Mrs Miggins Pie shop.....

Ah, Blackadder, of course! I knew that I'd not be able to count all the good comedies in one batch.....then, there's Red Dwarf, One Foot in the Grave....the list is endless.

As for My Family, it's better than I thought it would be. A 21st Century family sitcom. Not in the same league as 'Married With Children', say.....Kelly Bundy. OIOI!!!!

Cheers,
SmashTV

I just received an e-mail from an person who shall remainnameless unless they want their name known:

"the show you are thinking of is a british show but with an
american or maybe a canadian male comedian named
kelly monteith (spelling may be incorrect) i think the show
ran for two 6 episode series and was called something bland
like the kelly monteith show or something just as boring"

Now I'm really embarassed about strutting my knowledge of English humor! Oops, sorry...humour!

Does the above info ring a bell with anyone?

~ toyou

Hey Toyou!

Kelly Monteith it was. He was big over here in the 80's after appearing on a celeb/chat show called Des O'connor. He got his own series over here the idea being he was living in the uk with his wife. She was quite an attractive woman as I recall. I had forgotten all about this one, thanks me old mate!

Arky:)

Arky! Glad to know you're still kicking around! Glad I brought back a fond memory also!

Take care!

~ toyou

Anyone here watch The Office? I've got a friend who cringes regularly and keeps saying "Hey, that's just like what...did yesterday!"

And it has no laugh track. Supoib. If the comedy is good enough, I don't need to be told when to laugh.

Discerning Eye said:
Anyone here watch The Office? I've got a friend who cringes regularly and keeps saying "Hey, that's just like what...did yesterday!"

And it has no laugh track. Supoib. If the comedy is good enough, I don't need to be told when to laugh.

i agree. The Office is sheer genius.

Door 44 Productions
What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back