• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Mass Effect 2 on PS3, 01/2011

CD216

3rd Level Orange Feather
Yesterday EA announced that Mass Effect 2 was coming out on the PS3 in January of 2011. One of my roommates has it for the 360, and even I have to admit that the game looked damn entertaining. The PS3 version will supposedly have an intro segment that recaps the events of Mass Effect, since only the sequal is being brought to the console, as well as include extra content, most likely some of the DLC for the 360 version. This is good news for fans of the franchise that have missed out by not owning a 360 or a gaming PC that could run the program, so woo hoo for the shmucks like me! In any case, discuss this nice bit of news, shall we?

This game is definitely worth getting. Most epic game I've played in a long time. I got the PC version.

It definately seems to be a high quality game, and I'm without question picking it up day one. Did you play ME1 first Speedbump or did you jump right in with ME2? Microsoft is pissed about EA bringing ME2 to the PS3 and not letting a port of ME1 be made, so I'm curious as to how much I'll be missing, despite knowing the story of it.

It definately seems to be a high quality game, and I'm without question picking it up day one. Did you play ME1 first Speedbump or did you jump right in with ME2? Microsoft is pissed about EA bringing ME2 to the PS3 and not letting a port of ME1 be made, so I'm curious as to how much I'll be missing, despite knowing the story of it.

I played some of ME1, but I couldn't really get into it. I tried a couple different times actually.

In ME1, it's more an RPG with shooter elements. So you could shoot at the target, but it didn't really matter much where you hit them, it was just a "shoot until their health is gone."

It had a decent story, but it wasn't really all that great imo...

In ME2, the game is primarily a third-person shooter, with RPG elements added in, you use WASD to move, and there's a mouse reticle in the center, so as you move the mouse, the screen moves with it, staying constantly locked on the center for better targetting. Basically it's the exact opposite. :p

The story-telling and overall storyline of ME2 are much more compelling and I would never recommend the first game over the second. The only thing is, if you played through the first, you know what happened, and there are people you encounter in the second game that make references to things Sheppard did in the first game, and then you have an option of how to respond.

So if you played the first, you might get more out of those parts of the game, but that's about it.

Also the music really makes the fights feel epic as hell, where as I wasn't a major fan of the music in the first.

A lot of that is opinion, though... I'm sure there are people out there that prefer the first game's mechanics over the second, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the most engrossing RPG and game experiences I've had, especially this generation. Definitely my game of the year so far, and one of the fastest games to move up in my personal top list.

But...

A lot of that hinges on the continuation of my character and events from the first game that were carried over. Not to say that 2 on it's own isn't without merit, and is still even fantastic, but there's a lot of what makes the series great missing by just starting up in 2. I love that PS3 owners will get a chance to play one of favorite RPGs, I just think it was unwise to not package the first game with it. And it's hard now, because I definitely agree with Speedbump on the pure gameplay in 2 being a lot more streamlined, and really the game on the whole is much better. Tricky to convince someone to play the first and go "No no, hold on. Just finish this one, and you won't have to deal with the Mako ever again."

This game is definitely worth getting. Most epic game I've played in a long time. I got the PC version.

Couldn't agree more. Interactive storytelling at its best. Which is nothing new from Bioware :D The campaign is long and rich, and the game has great replay value because of the different classes and story related choices available.

Couple of things I liked more in ME 1:
First of all, the main missions were more focused on the bigger storyline and there was more progression in it. The situation in the start of ME 2 is pretty much the same as in the end of it. It's more focused on introducing new characters. It may be harder to create a story for the middle part of a trilogy: the audience knows the hero and the environment, and the main "problem" of the story has been introduced already, but it's not yet time for closure.

Secondly, the more complex character development system + lots of equipment worked for me. I also liked when you were able to cast multiple spells at same time. Maybe I'm more of an RPG-ist than a shooter-guy.

But somehow the overall quality of ME 2 feels better. I think Speedbump summarized it well: ME1 is an RPG with shooter elements, ME2 is a shooter with RPG elements. Both are awesome.

It's a shame that Bioware decided to make their MMORPG based on Star Wars (The Old Republic), which has been completely sucked dry as a gaming franchise. "Mass Effect Online" would have been a thousand times more interesting.

Couldn't agree more. Interactive storytelling at its best. Which is nothing new from Bioware :D The campaign is long and rich, and the game has great replay value because of the different classes and story related choices available.

Couple of things I liked more in ME 1:
First of all, the main missions were more focused on the bigger storyline and there was more progression in it. The situation in the start of ME 2 is pretty much the same as in the end of it. It's more focused on introducing new characters. It may be harder to create a story for the middle part of a trilogy: the audience knows the hero and the environment, and the main "problem" of the story has been introduced already, but it's not yet time for closure.

Secondly, the more complex character development system + lots of equipment worked for me. I also liked when you were able to cast multiple spells at same time. Maybe I'm more of an RPG-ist than a shooter-guy.

But somehow the overall quality of ME 2 feels better. I think Speedbump summarized it well: ME1 is an RPG with shooter elements, ME2 is a shooter with RPG elements. Both are awesome.

It's a shame that Bioware decided to make their MMORPG based on Star Wars (The Old Republic), which has been completely sucked dry as a gaming franchise. "Mass Effect Online" would have been a thousand times more interesting.

Oh man... a Mass Effect MMO? I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'd love to play a Krogan.

Ahh.. dreams.

But I suppose Star Wars: The Old Republic makes more sense as an MMO, than a Mass Effect one would. It's made very clear that Shepard and his/her crew are the only ones capable of saving the galaxy, and all that good stuff.

But I guess Shepard and crew can't be witness to every little event in the galaxy... I'm sure they could make events - while seemingly minuscule compared to Shepard's efforts, but large on a local scale - that could be quite epic,

Hm... who knows.

Last edited:
But I suppose Star Wars: The Old Republic makes more sense as an MMO, than a Mass Effect one would. It's made very clear that Shepard and his/her crew are the only ones capable of saving the galaxy, and all that good stuff.

But I guess Shepard and crew can't be witness to every little event in the galaxy... I'm sure they could make events - while seemingly minuscule compared to Shepard's efforts, but large on a local scale - that could be quite epic,

Hm... who knows.

Maybe they could situate the MMO totally away from Shepard and the Reapers. For example The Rachni wars could be a working environment: lots of unstability in the galaxy, plenty of enemies to kill and a great demand for heroes.

Or a faction based game about the three competing mercenary organisations, Cerberus and Alliance military, in which other players would be your enemies. After a mission, the winning side would be the only one who gets the prize (equipment, money etc.), both sides would get experience. I don't how that would work in practice, just throwing ideas..

It's made very clear that Shepard and his/her crew are the only ones capable of saving the galaxy, and all that good stuff.

Lol :D The galaxy needs a few million Conrad Verners too.

Came out yesterday, bought it, and am loving the hell out of it so far. Good combat system, likable characters so far (Miranda, Jacob, Mordin, and Archangel, plus Zaeed), but the story seems lacking. Its the early part and I figure the buildup is much later since I'm still building the team, but I really enjoy it so far. All PS3 owners: Go buy now and thank me later.

BEST SCI-FI/RPG EVER!!! I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT MASS EFFECT 1 AND 2. Any person who is a fan of video games should pick these games up. Mass effect 2 for the ps3 is actually running on the mass effect 3 engine. The textures and facial features are a bit smoother and the only thing taken out are a few of the "hacking" parts.

It does run very smoothly, and I've experienced almost zero technical issues so far. I just recruited "The Assassin," and I cannot wait to keep going. Such a good game.

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back