• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Codecs

P

P50

If any reader needs a full description, here are the full details of my problem...

http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?postid=131154#post131154

But just to get to the brass tacks, the file won't play on any of Microsoft's included Mplayers.

The root problem from which this problem stems (along with about 39,000 others) is something called a "Codec", whatever that is.

So,,,

Question #1: What is a codec ?
Question #2: Why do I need one ?
Question #3: Why don't I already have one if the file is in a standard format ?
Question #4: Where do I get one ?
Question #5: How much do they cost ?
Question #6: What do I do with one when I've got it ?
Question #7: Does it spy on me ?
Question #8: Is there software to check on codec spying ?
Question #9: What other effect does this have on my system ?
Question #10: How can I remove a codec if I don't like it ?
Question #11: Are there alternative codecs available ?
Question #12: Is there a (non-spying) media player that doesn't require all the codec stupidity ?
Question #13: What other questions do I need to ask ?

I'm not a crack when it comes to media encoding, but I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

#1: A Codec is an encoding procedure for media that allows for greater compression (lower file-size) and/or better quality of picture and sound in a media file.

#2: When a media file has been recorded using a distinct Codec (And most have been, these days), you'll need the Codec so your computer knows what to do with the information in the file. It can't display it otherwise, same as you can't open a zipped file without an unzipping utility.

#3: Chances are, you already have a lot of Codecs. Most media players come with a packet. The file format has nothing to do with it, Codecs enhance the standard encription procedures of files. They are not stand-alone file formats.

#4: Most media players attempt to automatically download codecs that are needed from their publisher's site. Just open the encoded media while connected to the internet. If that fails, try to find out what Codec you need and search for it on Google, for example.

#5: Nearly all Codecs are available as free downloads. The player-versions, anyway.

#6: You don't do anything with the Codec. The media player of your choice will use it to display media files, is all. Most codecs auto-install after download, so you can download and forget.

#7: It doesn't spy on you, normally. Codecs tend to be produced by major companies that have no interest in spyware. When in doubt, download Ad-Aware and run it.

#8: Yes. Ad-Aware.

#9: The only other effects are entries in your registry and a little less space on your HD (obviously). I didn't encounter a Codec yet that caused any trouble or system-crashes.

#10: Some Codecs provide you with an uninstall function. Others can be removed under "Options" in the media-players that use them. Still others can be removed under "System Tray"->"Software". It doesn't usually become necessary to remove a Codec, though, since they take up very little ressources.

#11: I'm not sure what you mean here. There's a whole lot of Codecs available, most from more than one provider, and some in different versions.

#12: If you want to see a media-file that was encoded with a certain codec, you'll need to download the codec to view it. There's no way around that.

#13: Ask for love and a hug, that always helps :)

What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back