• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Bounty Huntress Chronicles: Taming of the Blade

sageoftruth

TMF Novice
The Taming of the Blade

“More footprints,” Elanda said in a low grunt, bending down to study the leaves and twigs on the ground. Clearing away all the debris, she squinted at the prints in the soil beneath her. “Hey, take a look at that, Gra’Huk,” she said, angling her head towards the orcish skull that hung from the right side of her belt, “Five toe marks. Our allies may be close.”

A more skeptical part of her knew this did not narrow things down much. Footwear was not common among the many wild denizens of the Arben forest, and these tracks could easily belong to a small lizard kin, a wandering ninja, a druid, or one of the wilder of the forest elves. Still finding fresh tracks at all in this vast expanse was a rare enough thing indeed. She smiled and hung onto hope, rubbing Gra’Huk for good luck as she continued her study of the tracks.

“These prints run deep. That rules out the little brat Janet, eh?” Even if the young kunoichi for hire had been heavier, her agile, young feet were too small to have left tracks like these. “No signs of claw marks.” That ruled out the demoness, Dera, with her red clawed toes. “No surprises there, eh, Gra’Huk? She never goes anywhere without her summoner.” Elanda smirked. “No winding, snakelike walking pattern either. So, these don’t belong to some spoiled desert princess who thinks she’s a trained monk.” She turned and spat, as she mentally crossed Rosa off her list. “And thank goodness for that. Imagine being stuck in the woods with her.”

Gra’Huk said nothing as usual, but he was a great listener, which was valuable, since Elanda tended to spend lots of time alone in the wilderness. In life, as an orcish chieftain, Gra’Huk probably understood her better than anyone else she knew, at least before she’d taken his head and claimed her freedom.

She stared closer at the ground, her sky blue eyes narrowing further. “Still, I know I’ve seen these before. Judging by the wide arch width, long arch length, toe size.” Elanda paused, then shook her head. “Wait a minute!” Getting up off the ground, she placed her foot over one of the tracks. A perfect match. She stared down at her sun-reddened bare foot in silence, her hand clenching around the bone hilt of her sword. A gentle breeze blew through the area, a leaf touched her shoulder, and Elanda’s teeth clenched. “Rrrrrrraaah!” Spinning, she swung her sharp, uneven blade and hacked off a nearby tree branch, sending it flying off into the bushes with a heavy THUD.

Grumbling, she fell back against the tree branch’s owner and slid to the ground, letting her toned, bare legs sprawl out in front of her. Her tight stomach began to rumble, but hunger wasn’t at the forefront of her woes. “Me of all people, lost in the woods.” She shook her head. This was absurd, like getting lost in her own bedroom, which often tended to be in the woods, since it beat having to worry about living expenses.

If she couldn’t find her own way through this place, then those missing woodsmen she and her party had been tracking were as good as lost. Something wasn’t right. Pathways no longer led where they used to, markers weren’t where she’d last seen them, and even when the positioning of the sun assured her she was walking in a straight line, she ended up going in circles.

Just then, her pointy half-elf ears picked up a rustle behind her. Gripping her blade, she planted her stout bare feet on the ground and rose to a standing position. Peeking around the tree behind her, she spotted a swish of hair, followed by the rapid crunching of leaves.

Keeping low, Elanda followed behind, running on her toes to lighten her footfalls, while steadying Gra’Huk with her right hand. Unburdened by anything but her sword, Gra’Huk, and a sparse fur and leather two-piece, she moved light and fast, ducking tree branches, hopping over bushes and leaping over the small brook up ahead of her in a single bound, her movements creating about as much sound as a gentle breeze. However, the pattering sound of her mark remained in the distance.

Following her ears, she saw a bright glow up ahead. Shielding her eyes, she leapt over the last bush in her path. As she landed, sunlight spilled over her face. She looked around and found herself in a large clearing. The breathtaking sight stopped her in her tracks making her shoulder-length blonde hair spill over her face. Brushing it aside, she rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times to make sure she was not dreaming. Up ahead lay a humble cottage, surrounded by perfectly symmetrical lines of flowers and a small rock formation with a miniature waterfall tumbling down it. Elanda could not figure out where the water was coming from. The small hairs on the back of her neck began to rise. There was something magical about this place, and nothing made her warier.

Up ahead, a woman in a straw gardening hat knelt on the ground, arms buried deep in a gathering of ferns and bushes as she hummed to herself and stuffed her basket with various plants. Elanda stared at her, scratching her head. There was something off about this woman, but what? After all, what was so unusual about finding an herbalist out in the middle of the woods?

“We’ll, talk later, Gra’Huk,” she whispered. After giving the skeletal head of the orc chieftain a final pat, she approached the woman, towering over her with her broad six-foot frame.

The herbalist looked up with a gasp and her eyes widened as her gaze fell upon the savage longsword in the imposing elf woman’s hand.

Elanda followed the woman’s gaze to her own sword. “Oh, uh!” She jerked her muscled arm up, feeling with the tip of her sword for the sheath behind her. Once it was back where it belonged, she focused on the woman, fumbling for the right words to say. “Ah, oops!” She grinned, shrugging.

The sheepish smile and the blush in her cheeks seemed to be enough to set the startled woman at ease. With a shaky smile, she stood and nodded her head. “G-greetings, traveler. What brings you to my cottage?”

“Oh, uh,” Elanda paused, wishing she had one of her more eloquent friends around to do the talking. “I’m The Blade of the Wilds. I’m on the hunt for some lost woodsmen. Do you, uh, know where they might be?” She shook her head. What a stupid question. “Or maybe a way out of these woods?”

The woman shrugged. “Can’t say that I’ve seen any woodsmen, and there’s no easy explanation for how to escape these woods, I’m afraid.”

Elanda sighed. She knew it was too much to hope for. “I’ve also been separated from my friends. Did you see a young ninja, a red-skinned demoness, a dark elf, or a human woman with skin the color of sand?”

The woman shook her head. “You’re the first person I’ve seen in days. Still, if you’re tired and need a moment to rest your mind, I picked berries earlier today. You’re welcome to some of them.”

Elanda took a deep breath and exhaled through her nose at the mention of berries. They weren’t her top choice for food. The same could be said for any other foods that didn’t either make her drunk or come from killing something in the wilderness. However, her legs ached and the thought of taking a short break more than made up for eating weakling food. “That’d be good.”

The woman smiled. “Then make yourself at home. This way.”

Nodding, Elanda followed the woman towards the flimsy wooden door to her cottage. The woman had a walk that seemed far too delicate for some rugged hermit in the woods. Her callused heels never appeared to touch the ground and her toes were always pointed, much like some fancy, posturing noblewoman. Why couldn’t those ladies ever just be content to just put one foot in front of the other like normal people? Elanda chose to ignore it for now. “Um, have you sensed anything unusual about the woods lately? Any presence of magic?”

The woman shrugged. “The sun still shines, the ferns still grow, and neither of us has turned into a frog, so no.” She opened the wooden door and passed through, while Elanda followed behind, ducking her head. After emerging on the other side, she found herself standing in a greenhouse, full of wooden shelves stocked with jars. There was no place to sit or even lie down. It looked like a terrible place to live, even for a half-elf who considered rocks to be half-decent substitutes for pillows. She looked around. “Where do I sit?”

“Oh, the kitchen is this way,” the woman said, gesturing towards a door.

Elanda stared, blinking. “A door? You mean this isn’t the whole cottage?” The door had to lead to a very small room, considering all the space taken up by the greenhouse. Shrugging, she followed the woman through the door into an even bigger room, with a fur carpet, a rocking chair, and a polished wooden dining room table. A painting of a well-dressed man with a boyish face, hung from the wall nearby, framed in interconnected golden leaves.

“Delightful, isn’t it?” the woman asked. She turned and looked her guest up and down. “So, you are, an elf, right?”

Elanda offered a rueful smile. “If you asked the elves, they’d say, ‘No’.”

The woman nodded. “I see.” She continued to stare, her eyes darting between the two parts of Elanda’s sparse clothing.

“I learned to hunt in the Western Steppes,” Elanda said, answering the woman’s unspoken question. “I don’t feel like a hunter if I’m not dressed like one.”

“But isn’t that orc territory? Why would you dress like an orcish hunter?”

“Long story,” Elanda said. “How about you? You have an awfully clean tunic for someone who spends all day in bushes picking plants and berries.”

The woman laughed, but Elanda did not laugh with her. “Oh! I’m simply rather – er, I mean, I’m just good at what I do. The better you get, the cleaner you are when you come back from work.” She shrugged, watching Elanda to see how she’d react.

Elanda’s gaze drifted downwards. “You must be pretty good then. Your feet are spotless, and I’m sure I saw you working barefoot outdoors.”

The woman opened her mouth to speak, but paused, covering one foot with the other. “Um, look, you must be hungry. Allow me to conjure up – I mean, gather up some berries, and you’ll be - ah!”

In a quick motion, Elanda reached back and grasped the hilt of her blade. She swung it diagonally, stopping it just before it could sever the woman’s head from her body.

“You’re fooling no one. Clearly, you’re no herbalist. What brings an enchantress like you to these woods? Don’t try anything if you wanna keep your head!”

The woman took a few moments to compose herself before she spoke. “I beg your pardon – I mean, uh, what in blazes?” She sighed. “Oh, blast it all!” Snapping her fingers, there was a brief flash of light, and before Elanda stood a completely different woman. No bigger or smaller than the herbalist from before, but gone was the straw gardening hat. In its place, almond brown hair tumbled down the woman’s heart-shaped head, hanging over her thin shoulders, while also framing a pair of striking red eyes. Also gone, was the herbalist garb. In its place, a flowing purple silk gown hung from the woman’s shoulders, stopping halfway down her lower legs. Soft moss bracelets hung loosely around her wrists and one of her bare ankles, and her feet had taken on a new appearance. Lighter in complexion and impossibly free of wrinkles or blemishes, it was clear that their owner was not accustomed to the hardships of menial labor, or even walking on solid ground for that matter. The sparkling cherry red nail polish made that even more apparent. A pair of clear dragonfly wings fluttered behind her back, giving off a magical light. “Titania, Queen of the Fey, at your service,” the woman said with a smile and a bow.

All this magic made Elanda’s muscles tense. She shifted her weight forward, ready to strike if anything suspicious happened. “Tell me who you are and what you’re doing here?”

Titania rolled her eyes. “Honestly, the manners of you people. I was just escaping. Court life among the fey grew tiresome, so I decided it was time I paid a visit to your realm. There’s nothing wrong with that, I assume?”

Elanda cursed under her breath. “Fair folk. I shoulda known.” Just mentioning them brought a snarl to her lips. Cowardly, dishonorable creatures. Weaklings who used magic and trickery to subjugate the strong. Part of her wanted to bolt from the room before she ended up turning into a flower, a rare gem, or a field mouse. The other part of her wanted to cut this affront to the natural order down before she had the chance to try it. Only her sense of honor stayed her hand. “I’m guessing you’re the one behind the missing huntsmen, and the screwing up of the woods?”

Titania’s mouth fell open. “Screwing up? I take offense to that. Everything was so dull and predictable, with paths always leading to the same destination, and the layout of the forest never changing. I like it much better this way.”

Elanda’s hand tightened around the hilt, bicep tensing to finish the swing, but she shook her head, sheathed her sword, and reached forward instead, grabbing the fairy queen by the arm. “Come with me. We’re taking a walk to the Arben authorities. Try anything and I’ll cut you down. No second chances.”

Titania’s red eyes widened. “Excuse me!? Don’t I at least get a chance to explain myself?” She tried to pull away, but Elanda held her, feeling even less strain on her sinewy fingers than she usually got from her own sword.

“One more word out of you and I’ll carry you back unconscious.”

“But how will you escape the forest without my help?”

“I’ll find a way, now shut up!”

Titania complied, which came as an immense relief. Who knew what kinds of tricks she could pull with those honeyed words of hers. “Good. Now let’s go-AARGH!” Elanda cried out as Titania’s heel came down on her toes. For someone with such a delicate, courtly appearance, she knew how to stomp.

She threw a dainty eblow into Elanda’s gut, striking with all the force and fury of a startled squirrel. Still, that was all it took for Titania to break free and bolt, her doll-like bare feet hovering an inch above the ground as her dragonfly wings flapped like a hummingbird’s.

“Hey!” Elanda’s arms acted on their own. The sword rang as is sprung from its sheath and swished through the air as it arced downwards, right through her target, cleaving the wooden rocking chair behind her in two before stopping. The fleeing woman disintegrated into thin air, leaving behind no traces of her whatsoever. Elanda shook her head. “Ugh! Rotton fair folk. Can’t even die properly.” Shaking her head, she raised her hilt to return the blade to its sheath. “Well, I did warn her.”

“I think that was uncalled for,” Titania’s voice said from behind. Elanda wheeled around, sword still half-way out of its sheath, and saw the fey woman standing beside the door, waving a pearly arm. “I believe you owe me an explanation.”

“Just hold still, you blood cursed fairy!” Elanda charged her, bare feet slapping on the wooden floorboards as she ran with her blade raised.

Titania darted into the greenhouse, disappearing behind the wooden doorframe, while Elanda followed after her.

She skidded to a halt and turned to find the fairy queen staring at her from across the glass table in the center, holding a jar of luminescent mushrooms in her delicate hands. “Please, swordswoman, I apologize if I made any trouble. The ways of your kind are still unfamiliar to me. Will you accept this jar of mushrooms as payment for my life? They were picked in the Feywild. I’ve met merchants and scholars who have been willing to pay a small fortune for just one of these.”

The offer gave Elanda pause, as she recalled the fancy new sword polish, or the exclusive premium whetstone she’d last seen at the Arben Armory a week ago. However, she trusted the words of mages and thieves more than the words of anyone from the Feywild, and as long as this woman lived and breathed, who knew what she was capable of?

Sword ready, she advanced on Titania. It’s the law of nature! The memory of Gra’Huk’s voice echoed in her mind. The strong live and the weak die, or live serving the strong. If any of you weaklings crosses me, I’ll take your head without a second thought. The memory of those savage words made her grimace, but they rang true for her as she readied her blade to strike.

Titania backed herself into the corner of the room, knocking over a few jars with her elbows and shoulders and jumping as they shattered on the floor. “R-really, these are genuine Feywild mushrooms! I would never lie to you! Really. I promise! See?” She removed the lid and blew inside.

“Save it for the afterlife, or wherever you fey creatures go!” Elanda raised her sword to cut the woman down, when she felt a tickle inside her nose. She shook her head and tried to focus, but it was impossible to ignore. “Ah, ahhh!” She saw Titania move to flee and prepared to cut her down, but her sinus acted first. “ACHOO!”

All of a sudden, she felt the floor drop out from under her feet. Peering down, she saw a wide meadow, layered with tall grass, daffodils and a small wooden table with a tin mug resting on the very edge. However, all this concerned her far less than the fact that it was thousands of meters below her and approaching fast. She screamed as her body entered freefall. Clouds whizzed by her, some smelling of licorice and tasting of wine. She flailed her arms and legs, trying to orient herself. The ground was getting closer. How was this happening!? Had she survived the orcish labor camps, taken the orc chieftain’s head, and built herself up as the Blade of the Wilds, only to die to a woman in a cottage?

She forced herself to take slower breaths. It’s okay. Dying is just a part of life, or something like that. My family awaits me. What would her parents think when she stood before them once again? Would they still love her after everything she’d given up for her own survival? Her thoughts then drifted to her companions, the closest thing to a family that she had, back in the realm of the living. Would they ever find her body, or would they spend the rest of their days worrying about her? She felt like laughing, but as much as she hated to admit it, the thought of their worried faces made her eyes burn.

She could see the blades of grass below her, and only had a moment to close her eyes as she prepared for the final impact. She hit the grass with a thud, or more of a whoomp, as if she’d fallen only a few inches. Pushing herself up, she checked her body, flexing her fingers, rolling her wrists, and patting down her stomach and legs. Nothing was broken, but she felt weak. She trembled while her heart pounded against her chest. “I’m… alive!?” she gasped and rolled onto her back, staring at the sky. She felt salt in her eyes but shook the feeling away with a fierce grimace. Crying was for the weak.

She lay there until the shock had left her system. “Well, Gra’Huk, enough resting. Time to find that fey witch!” She gave him a final pat on his bone forehead before preparing to rise. However, as she tried to push herself up, something held her back. She pulled with her arms, but her wrists were entangled in the tall grass. “Let go, you rotten plants!” The grass stretched from her efforts and then snapped. “By the blood! When has grass ever been this clingy?” she said as she pulled her wrist free.

However, the grass then began to move. More of it shot up from the ground, like a swarm of thin, grasping, green tentacles and coiled around her wrists, pulling them back with more force than before. She gasped as she was jerked onto her back. “I SAID LET GO!” She pulled again, her muscles tensing as she snapped more prehensile grass. However, every minor victory only came with more strands of grass coming to pull her back down.

Something wet touched feet. Looking up past the fur and leather mounds on her chest, a pair of young spotted deer stood by her, noses examining her soles. Her feet twitched and pulled away as another wet nose nudged her arch. She tried to pull her legs back, but the grass had gotten to her ankles as well. “H-hey! Cut it out! My feet aren’t plants for tasting!”

The deer appeared to get the opposite message. Elanda felt a coarse wet tongue settle on each of her heels. Their touch alone was enough to make her jump. Once those tongues began running up the soles of her thick, athletic feet, she was well past the point of resisting before she could even begin to try. Sliding across her wide arches, and flicking across her long toes, the invasive tongues made her throw her head back, laughing towards the orange polka dot sky.

“Eeeahahahaha! Stahahahappit! No! No! Nohohohoho!” Her fight with the grass became less effective as her focused resistance was replaced with mindless hysterical flailing. The grass held against her violent but brief jerks, coiling around her wrists and ankles, and then her forearms and lower legs. Her muscles began to tire and soon all she could do was lie immobile on the floor and howl with laughter as the deer licked her to madness. She giggled as their tongues caressed the outsides of her heels, protested through her giggles as they traced the outer edges of her soles, and slipped into full laughter as they circled up to her twitching toes. Once they converged on her arches, though, she lost it, her laughter now a booming cackle.

“Eeeeeahahahaha! Nahahahahat theheheheere! I hate it! Hahaha!” She tried to cover one foot with the other, but they were spaced too far apart, and the deer seemed to take a special interest in the centers of her arches. This was all wrong. Deer were supposed to be her food, not the other way around. Retroactively, falling to her death no longer sounded so bad.

She awoke with a start, to find herself staring at the wooden ceiling of the enchanted cottage. “Huh?” She raised her head. The walls around her looked different. White plaster surrounded her. Off to the side, sat a wooden stool and an easel with a half-finished painting of the youthful man she’d seen on the wall of the other room.

A small circlular wooden table was off to the side. Beside it, Titania, sipped from a porcelain cup of tea, leaning back with one leg folded over the other, twirling a dangling foot in the air and hula-hooping the vine anklet around it. “Mmmmmm…” she hummed to herself as she finished last of her tea. “Herbal Nectar and Honey. My favorite.”

Elanda tried to sit up, but couldn’t move any of her limbs more than an inch. Vines bound her wrists to the large wooden table she lay upon, pulling her arms out to either side of her, while another set of vines tugged at her ankles, keeping her bare feet outstretched in front of her. She could not see where the vines were anchored. Knowing fairies, it would not have surprised her if the vines were part of the table she lay upon.

She pulled at them, grunting and cursing, and they stretched, but did not break. She fell back against the table and the vines were quick to re-tighten around her. “Blood of Orcus!” she cursed. She tilted her head up and glowered at Titania. “Untie me, you coward!”

Titania unfolded her legs and got up, walking over to where Elanda lay, while sporting a dull frown. “You certainly live up to your name, Blade of the Wilds. You seem to do all of your thinking with that sharp hunk of metal.” She reached for Elanda’s sword which lay against the wall behind her. Grasping the bone hilt, she titled it away from the wall, only to stumble as gravity pulled her downward into an unladylike, stooping squat. “Urrrgh! How do you even wield this thing!?” Her royal hands shook as they grasped the hilt, but even as she went red in the face, the hilt of the sword would not lift an inch.

With a heaving groan, she released the sword, nearly falling over as she let it drop to the ground with a heavy clang, missing her polished toes by inches. She wiped her forehead, giving the weapon a scornful look as she caught her breath. “Well, I guess that rules out giving you the poetic finish with your own sword, but I was getting ahead of myself anyway.” She approached the table and stared down at the half-elf warrior, grinning in a way that made Elanda feel even more naked than her fur and leather two-piece normally allowed.

“What’re you looking at?” Elanda said.

Titania blinked and shook her head as if Elanda were a statue that had just come to life. “Oh, pardon me. I’m quite the appreciator of aesthetics, you see, and I’m certain I’ve never before seen such elegant elven beauty mixed with such raw savagery. I find it hard to believe those glowing golden curls, sharp blue eyes and that smooth chin belong to the powerful body they’re attached to.”

Elanda returned a blank stare. “Well, uh, they are,” she said, unsure whether or not she was being complimented or mocked. Comments like these were not uncommon for her whenever she left the solitude of the forest. Elves would sneer at her, and most civilized non-elves would avoid her, watching her from a distance. In the seedier parts of town, the few who weren’t put off by her dress and temperament would attempt to get close to her, often sporting a bold look, as if she were dangerous game to be hunted.

Titania continued to examine her. “And then there’s that sparse orcish garb, if I can even call it that. If these were made of cotton, I would call them undergarments. Honestly, what are they intended to protect? You really leave yourself exposed.” She made her point by placing her hand atop the half-elf’s bare belly and tapping her finger. “Imagine, if my hand was a dagger.”

Elanda hissed and sucked in her gut. She struggled to meet the woman’s gaze. “Yeah? Well, if you think you’re such an expert on combat, untie me and show me what you’re made of.”

Titania did not acknowledge the remark. “Of course, most enchanting of all is that attitude of yours. Such a boorish, brutish attitude. Nothing I’ve ever seen from an elf or a half-elf before. Honestly, it’s that very attitude that got you into this mess.”

Elanda looked the fey woman in the eyes, recalling the big fall, the grasping grass, and the foot-loving deer. “Enough useless words, fey woman! What did you do to me?”

“What did I? Oh! Right.” Titania laughed. “Did you enjoy your first whiff of fey spores? They can be quite the treat at parties, but the first dose tends to hit a lot harder than the rest.” She giggled as she stared at the ceiling. “I remember my first time. I had assured everyone that I had the presence of mind to try some fey spores without embarrassing myself. After taking a long and confident sniff, I woke up, trading tongues with a frog, while lovingly fondling a bottle of wine. Even after six hundred years, no one has ever let me forget that.”

Elanda squinted, trying to piece the information together, then she gasped. “So, I just dreamed all that stuff?!”

“Most likely. What did you dream?”

Elanda’s blush returned. “None of your business, fairy!” Crossing her feet, she rubbed her toe along the sole of her other foot. It was wet. Her eyes narrowed. “What did you do to my body while I was out?”

Titania put a finger to her lower lip in thought. “Well, I did not have to do much. Maybe a push here, a nudge there. You were very compliant. With my guidance you walked right over to that table and lay down. I secured you in those vines for reasons even your savage mind should be able to figure out. I also hand-fed you some berries, because your stomach would not stop rumbling. You’re welcome, by the way.”

“And my feet?”

“Oh, I gave them a quick scrub. They were tracking dirt all over my floor.” Titania giggled. “You really were quite the kicker. It was rather cute.” She leaned over the table, looking Elanda in the eye while her dainty, long-nailed finger began tracing around the shield tattoo atop Elanda’s right foot.

Elanda could barely even see the tips of her toes over her own chest, but she could feel Titania’s touch, and tried to ignore it.

Titania grinned at her while her red gaze seemed to stare through Elanda’s blue, deep into something beyond. “You are in a lot of trouble, you know. I still haven’t forgiven you for trying to cleave me in two. If we were back in the Feywild, I would have no shortage of fitting punishments for you. You could be my new pet frog, or I could make you into a nice little dagger for me to give to my darling, King Oberon.”

Elanda’s foot twitched, unable to keep still as Titania’s finger continued to tease it, her long, shining, red nail seeming to spark across Elanda’s suntanned skin, following the outline of the shield no matter where the foot in question moved.

She jerked her foot to the side which only made things worse as Titania’s nail slid down from the very top to tease her instep. Elanda clenched her hands and resisted the urge to snicker. Did this woman know what she was doing, or was she just being coy? She did not seem to be paying attention to it at all, but those astute eyes would notice if she let any weakness show.

“However,” Titania said, “it seems that my powers are not what they were back in my kingdom, so I’ll have to make do with answers instead. Would you care to explain why you tried to cut me down? This is not how you treat all fairies is it?”

Elanda was in no mood to talk. Focusing on two things at once outside of combat was never a strength of hers, and at this particular moment, she cared more about maintaining her stern, giggle-free expression than she did about answering anything this woman would ask her.

“Is there a problem?” Titania said. “Was my question too hard for you? I know, it must be difficult, having to ask yourself why you used your sword on someone. This must be a new concept for someone like you.”

Elanda glowered at her but did not respond.

“Very well, we’ll start with a subject more fitting for you. Tattoos for instance.” Stepping back, she pressed her other finger to the sole of Elanda’s other foot, tracing over the curved sword design that had been tattooed there.

Elanda suppressed a gasp and fought to keep her face muscles in control, but with a finger running across each of her feet, it was all the poor half-elf could do not to break into a goofy grin.

“Such an impressive design, and so detailed. On the sole of your foot too. I hope you were not ticklish.”

Elanda gasped, the word “ticklish” nearly triggering a stream of giggles as it sent a tingling wave through her body.

Titania began to trace slow circles around the ball of her foot, and soon the stubborn half-elf’s lips were clamped shut, while she struggled to regulate her breathing.

Titania droned on. “I’ve always wanted a nice design like that for my feet. Maybe a rose or a drop of dew, but of course, if I let someone do that to me, I would need to be tied down like you, because I would be laughing and kicking nonstop.”

“Dohon’t touch me!”

The sharpness from Elanda’s booming voice caused Titania to step back, giving the swordswoman a welcome break from the tickling. “Oh my, someone is sensitive. If my touch was bothering you, there were plenty of nicer ways to let me know.”

“Only the strong can lay their hands on me,” Elanda said, free at last to speak without worrying about giggling. “If I wasn’t tied up, you’d be on the floor right now, dead or unconscious.”

“I see,” Titania said, nodding. “That is a fairly draconian code you’ve set for yourself. You warriors seem to always care so much about your codes. Or in your case, perhaps you’re just ticklish?”

The question came out like an afterthought, followed by an amused grin, leaving Elanda unsure whether or not to respond, but her strong feet responded by crossing.

Titania put a hand to her mouth, giggling through her fingers. “Oh my! Was that a reaction I just saw? ARE you ticklish?”

Elanda’s feet betrayed her again, crossing and curling before she could even think to stop them. Still, she shook her head. “Don’t be stupid! Maybe if I was a spoiled princess, a little girl, or a fragile fairy, I would be, but that isn’t a problem for warriors.” She grinned, nodding to herself, certain that it sounded as convincing to her captor as it had to her.

However, Titania had an inquisitive squint that made Elanda worry. “I’m not so sure about that. I was pretty certain I heard a hint of a giggle when you snapped at me.” She moved in closer, until she was standing right at the edge of the table, one curled finger away from touching Elanda’s feet.

Her cherubic eyes narrowed, giving an air of malice to her grin. “Not that you would want me to find out of course - if you are ticklish that is.” She laid her hands atop the pair of feet in front of her, touching them but not tickling. Their presence made Elanda’s heartbeat skyrocket. “I know how much you warriors care about your pride. Just imagine, a formidable warrior like you, bested and broken by a dainty little flower like me, all from something as silly as tickling. Truly a horror, no?”

Elanda swallowed but forced herself to nod. “Y-yes, that’d be pretty bad.”

“If you were ticklish of course.”

“R-right! Yeah. So, uh, good thing I’m not. Heh.”

“I suppose you wouldn’t mind me finding out then?”

Elanda furrowed her brows. “Yes, I would mind. No touching, unworthy one!”

Titania placed her hands on her hips and stared down at Elanda. “Well, if you’re really so afraid of being touched, then can you truly say that I’m unworthy of touching you? You said only the strong can touch you, but this reluctance of yours really makes you look rather weak.”

Elanda’s eyes shot open, and a faint memory flickered through her mind.

A dead elf slave lies on the ground, run through with a sword. His orcish killer looks down at him, curls his lips and spits. “Weak,” the orc mutters under his breath, giving the body a final kick before walking away.

Elanda’s fists clenched and her nostrils flared. Her voice trembled as she spoke. “I survived orc captivity for forty long years. Many others died.” Her angular eyes became downcast, but her fists and jaw clenched. “Weaklings! The whole craven lot of them! Damn them! If I was some weak no-sack, like them, those damned orcs would have me lying dead in a flaming ditch right now!” Her head snapped up, her eyes drilling into the startled gaze of her captor, while she wrenched against the vines holding her. “You know nothing of strength and weakness! Take that all back, you flaming fey whore!” Once she had finished, she was panting and Titania was backed against the wall.

She stared at Elanda without speaking. After a long pause, she raised a hand and brushed some brown strands of hair away from her face. “Sorry. It seems that my choice of wording was poor. Let me try again.” She spread her hands and spaced her words out, as if she were speaking to a foreigner. “Would you like to show me that you are strong, by letting me see if you are ticklish?”
Elanda felt calmer about the question this time, but the damage to her pride still lingered. “Why – why waste your time? I swear, if you come any closer.”

Titania came closer. “Relax. I’ll just give your feet a quick tickle. Just a little bit. If nothing happens, then I’ll stop.”

“Nothing will happen!” Elanda said, trying to push the fairy queen away with her glower.

“Well then, leeet’s find out,” she said with a musical flourish.

Giving up, Elanda fell back. I am a warrior. I can handle this, she told herself, clenching her long toes in anticipation. She felt a finger press into the ball of her foot, just below the toes, tracing up and down in very light, fluid strokes. Her lip began to quiver, but she forced herself not to grin. “S-see? Not t-ticklish.”

“So you say, but your feet seem to say otherwise.”

Elanda opened an eye, daring to look ahead and sure enough, her foot was twitching, and trying to move away, toes curling in defense when Titania approached the top of the foot, and flexing as the finger wandered further downward. She could tell that she wasn’t selling her “not ticklish” claim very well.

She willed her foot to remain still, but that only made the tickling worse as the finger explored the wide sole of her foot like a lost ant, sending a lone tingle along her sole, that was so hard to ignore. She broke into a grin and her lips began to part, but her teeth remained clenched in a strained yet mirthful smile.

“Hmm… I don’t hear any laughter, but what if I add another hand?”

Elanda’s eyes bugged out as her other foot received a tingly visitor of its own. She shook her head, willing all the accumulating giggles to remain in her gullet. One finger scratched along the lower end of her foot, straddling the invisible line between her sturdy heel and her smooth arch, while the other flicked back and forth along her long toes alternating between the tops and bottoms as they curled and flexed in response.

“Impressive! We have a sturdy little warrior woman here. Truly, an unshakeable rock. What if I added a finger to each hand?”

Soon, the lone wandering fingers were replaced by pairs, alternating scratches along her ever-wavering feet. She couldn’t keep them still any longer. Her feet began to wiggle again, trying to outmaneuver their pairs of ticklers but it helped less than she’d hoped. Pressure built up in her head. How long was “Just a little bit” supposed to be again?

“Such a toughie we have here,” Titania cooed. “Not ticklish at all. Three fingers?”

This was too much. Elanda was positive she’d never tried so hard not to laugh before. She sucked in her breath and held it. There was no other way. The three-fingered tickling was maddening and the simple act of breathing without breaking into frustrated laughter had become impossible at this point. The trios of fingers circled around Elanda’s arches, mirroring each other, with one approaching her heel while the other circled up towards the ball of her foot. Her face began to flush red, while pressure built up in her head. She doubted she was proving anything at this point.

The tickling stopped and Elanda let out a deep sigh, her bare belly expanding and contracting as she caught her breath.

“Well, it looks like I was wrong after all,” Titania said. “My apologies for doubting you, Blade of the Wilds.” With a light bow of her head, she turned her back to Elanda, who let herself fall back as she relaxed her muscles.

“Butjustonemoreforgoodmeasure!!” Titania said. Spinning around, she plunged all five fingers into both of Elanda’s arches and began spidering up and down them together.

Taken completely by surprise, all those unused giggles erupted from Elanda in roaring laughter. “Hahahahahahahaha!” She slapped the table with her palms and shook her head, unable to stop herself.

“Oh my! What’s this? Do I hear laughter?” Titania reprimanded Elanda with a baby voice. “Oooh! Someone’s been hiding secrets from me. Someone’s a naughty little girl. Naughty little girls need to be punished.” Her fingers skittered up and down Elanda’s bare soles, one going from up to down, while the other went down to up, both traveling the full distance from heels to toes, and making Elanda shriek as they both passed over the centers of her arches together.

The poor swordswoman was beside herself. “Nohohohohoho! Stahahahapit! Stahahahahap!” she said, trying to put some authority into her voice so it didn’t sound too much like she was begging.

“Such a big, big lie. Such a bad girl. You’re not just ticklish. You’re very ticklish.”

“I’m nohohohohot. I swehehehehehear!” Elanda’s sides began to ache. How much longer was this fairy witch planning to tickle her?

Titania put a hand to her mouth. “Oh! You’re not? I was almost positive you were. Please, explain these wiggling toes, that red face, and all that cute laughter.” She then tapped her head while her eyes lit up. “Ah! Are you just doing this to humor me, so I won’t feel bad about being wrong? Is that what you’re doing, my noble swordswoman?”

Elanda’s grasp of irony was feeble enough in those precious moments when she wasn’t in the middle of a manic fit of hysteria. As she lay there, weeping tears of laughter, Titania’s teasing praise had her mind spinning in circles.

“Really, you’re so sweet, but you can stop now. This has gone on long enough.” She waited, but her fingers continued their work, one hand tapping under Elanda’s toes while the other clawed at the center of her arch.

Elanda let out a hysterical wail, feeling assured that she’d reached new depths of degradation, but she could not stop laughing. Not even close. She was certain she could stop a war hammer swung from horseback with her bare hands if she tried hard enough, but trying to halt her own laughter for even a moment? No, she wasn’t that arrogant.

Titania sighed and tapped her red-nailed toes on the floor. “Look, I appreciate all the effort you’ve put into indulging me, but this is enough. The thought is appreciated, but you can really stop.”

“I cahahahahan’t hahahahaha!”

“But you SAID you weren’t really ticklish right?” Titania gasped. “NO! You weren’t lying to me again, were you?”

Elanda had run out of patience, or whatever passed for patience with her aggressive temperament. Each laugh hurt like a punch to the sides and she found herself struggling to breathe. “JUHUHUHUST FLAMING STAHAHAHAHAP ALREADY! HAHAHAHA!”

“Ok, just this once, I’ll be merciful.” Titania pulled back, and Elanda collapsed.

“Orcus’s b-blood!” she said, gasping for breath. She saw Titania leaning over her.

“Harrowing, wasn’t it?” When Elanda didn’t answer, Titania leaned in closer. “Wasn’t it?”

Elanda nodded her head.

“You now know what I’m capable of, and I’ll happily do it again,” Titania said, waggling her finger. “I’m still very upset with you, young lady. You attacked me, you used foul language in my presence, and worst of all, you lied to me.” Her words snapped like a whip, each accusation making Elanda flinch. Titania’s expression then lightened into a relaxed smile. “However, I’m not a petty person. I’ll give you something you never offered me: A second chance.”

Elanda grimaced. “Don’t talk to me like that you, cowar-mmph!”

Titania clamped a fair hand over Elanda’s lips. “Shshshshshhhh! Hear me out. As I said, I’ll give you another chance. Be honest with me and answer my questions. No more lies, understood?”

Elanda shook her head, dislodging Titania’s hand from her mouth. “Mmmgah! And what do I get out of it?”

A red-nailed finger tapped against Titania’s chin as she stared at the ceiling. “Well, for starters, I WON’T tickle you senseless.” She punctuated her remark by stroking her finger across Elanda’s reddened neck, making the warrior jump and giggle. “Are you ready to begin?”

The question proved to be a challenge for Elanda. What was worse, tickling or the humiliation of obeying a fairy at fingerpoint?

“I’ll take your silence as a ‘yes’. We’ll start with a rather obvious question. Blade of the Wilds, are you ticklish?” To help her along, she wiggled her finger across Elanda’s neck once again, drawing a few more giggles from her.

Elanda’s jaw hung open. Such a simple and easy question, but answering it was another thing. Her gaze darted between Titania’s penetrating red stare and the very dangerous fingers being held over her exposed and helpless, muscular body. “I, uh.”

“I’m waiting. Surely this question wasn’t too complex for you? So, tell me, are you?”

Elanda grimaced and her hands balled up into fists.

“Your head appears to be shaking. Are you telling me that you are not ticklish?”

The question sent a wave of panic through Elanda’s mind. “What!? No – I mean, uh, yeah, I am.”

“You are what?” She rested her finger at the base of the swordswoman’s neck, tracing slow half-circles around it, and making Elanda scrunch her face and twitch nonstop. “Something that starts with a T perhaps?”

Elanda nodded.

“Say it!”

Her lips wavered. “I am. Am.” Ticklish. The word never left her lips, but as it echoed in her mind, it made her toes curl and her feet cross. Such an embarrassing weakness. Not one befitting a warrior. Her ticklish reputation had taught her to dread her moments of triumph from animals hunted or foes slain, back when she lived among the orcs. Everyone in the orc camps knew she was ticklish. Regardless of her accomplishments, any “Celebration for her” ended with her drunk and pinned down on the floor, with wiggling fingers on her sides, on her belly, and on her feet, driving her mad with laughter. Jovial, drunken laughs and cheers drowned out her own voice as she begged them to stop. The night always ended with everyone remembering how fun she’d been as entertainment. No one remembered what she’d done to earn the celebration in the first place.

“You appear to be drifting off,” Titania said, folding her arms. “You’d best believe me, Blade of the Wilds. Telling the truth may be difficult for you, but I’m sure it will be much harder to do while laughing.”

The iciness in her tone set something off within Elanda. “D-don’t threaten me, you weak, two-faced, unworthy, piece of – hahahahAHAHAHAH!” She knew it was coming, but once Titania reached over and tapped up and down her naked sides with both hands, her attempts at resistance crumbled in seconds.

“Oh my! Your feet were sensitive enough, but I seemed to have missed a real treasure trove up here. All those barefoot walks through the woods must have toughened up your soles a bit.”

Elanda shook her head and shifted her shoulders, causing her golden hair to spill over the side of the table. She tugged against the vines, unable to break them any more than she could break the silly grin on her face. “AHAHAHAHAI’LL KIHIHIHIILL YOHOHOU! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I SWEAR.”

Titania giggled. “Oh, not if I kill you first. I seem to be killing you right now. Hmhm! Get it?” Her hands skittered up Elanda’s toned sides, fluttering into the deep hollows of her armpits, and making the poor half-elf whoop and belt out a storm of higher-pitched laughs, her back arching and her muscles tensing as she desperately struggled to pull her arms down to her sides.

“I’ll ask you again, are you ticklish?” She moved one of her hands down, dragging her nails around the half-elf’s sizeable rack, and across the top of her belly before letting her fingers dance circles around her navel.

“EEEAAAHAHAHA GAHAHAWDS! YOHOHOHOHOU KNOHOHOHOHOW ALREADY!” Elanda said, bucking her hips as her belly came under assault.

“Yes, but I want to hear it from YOU, darling.” Titania twirled her finger in the air and a small circular finger brush appeared out of nowhere, bearing a small cylinder of soft black bristles. With her pointer finger, she pressed the brush to Elanda’s belly, continuing to circle around the small cavern of her navel in the center, and making her buck like crazy. “Are. You. Ticklish?” Grinning, she moved her pointed finger over Elanda’s button, soft black bristles poised for more insufferable stroking, and then she plunged it in.

Elanda’s tear-streaked eyes followed the cylinder of black softness as it descended upon her belly and disappeared from sight. Then she felt it, and immediately went berserk. Kicking her feet and wriggling her hips, she tested the stretching limits of the vines that held her as she howled with laughter. “STAHAHAHAHAPIT! PLEHEHEHEHEEHEASE!”

“Admit that you’re ticklish and I’ll consider it.”

The more she jostled, the worse the brush tickled as it wiggled around inside her navel, brushing against the sides with the softness of a kitten’s tail and making her yelp in surprise each time. “I CAHAHAHAN’T TAKE ANYMORE! PLEHEHEHEASE STAHAHAPPIT!” she said, staring into Titania’s eyes with her first ever look of genuine pleading.

“Are you ticklish?”

Elanda didn’t even hesitate. “YEHEHEHEHES! I’M TIIHIHIHICKLISH! I’M SUPER FLAHAHAHAHMING TICKLISH FOR GAHAHAHAHWDS’ SAKE! HAHAHAHAHA!”

“That’s better.”

Elanda gasped as the brush came out. However, just as she was preparing to catch her breath, the nails returned, teasing her taut belly with slow strokes. Fluttering her feet, she giggled in frustration. “Whaahahahaht but I hahahahahaha!?”

“But you what? Told the truth? Congratulations on accomplishing the bare minimum of respectful behavior,” Titania said with a mocking smile. “Now let’s see if you can answer my next question without me having to use the brush? Just give me a moment to think of a good one.” Her fingers continued to dance across Elanda’s belly keeping her in a constant state of giggling. Then, Titania’s eyes lit up. “Ah, perfect! Here is my question, Blade of the Wilds. Why do – ah!”

Titania stopped mid-sentence. Her eyes became cloudy and unfocused and she dropped to her knees before slumping onto the floor. Behind her, a pair of exotic, long-lashed eyes stared back at Elanda. Before her, stood a tiaraed young woman from the northern deserts. Her attire looked no less exotic. She wore a vest made of light blue Denjabu silks, and a red cloth skirt, folded above the knees to keep it from tripping her in combat. A variety of lavish decorations adorned her body. In addition to the tiara, a golden collar and jewled banlges and anklets covered her neck, wrists and ankles. She shook out her chopping hand, adjusted the brass bangle on her wrist and looked down at Elanda, who gasped.

“Rosa! I’d never guessed I ever be so happy to see you. What took you so long?”

Rosa rolled her eyes. “That’s some gratitude. I grew up in the desert. You know how much I hate forests. Besides, I wanted to find the right moment to strike.” She folded her arms, staring down at Elanda with a humorless grin. “Looking at you right now, it’s clear that rushing in blindly without a plan didn’t work.”

Elanda grimaced. “Oh shut up! I didn’t do that at all! Don’t kid yourself. You probably just wanted to watch me suffer.”

“Well, it was a fun sight. You don’t beg easily,” Rosa said nodding. “It was kind of fun to see if she could make you do it.”

Elanda glared at her. “Why you rotten, spoiled princess! Untie me right now so I can knock that smug grin off your face!” She pulled at her restraints trying to break free, when she saw Rosa close her eyes and slide back into a fighting stance, wielding her hands in front of her like a pair of knives. Elanda drew back, or tried to. “Hey, wait! What’re you doing!? What did I say?”

For someone who’d studied under a monk, Rosa could have quite the unpredictable temper at times. A dangerous heat emanated from her body, warming the air around her and heating the floorboards beneath her slender bare feet.

The vines holding Elanda down, stretched but would not break. She grew frantic as she watched Rosa channel her inner strength. Anything or anyone struck by those fists or feet while she was in this state, often broke. “By all that’s holy, Rosa control yourself! You’re a monk! Act like one!” Elanda said. Her attempts at diplomacy only caused the heat around Rosa to rise a few degrees more. Droplets of sweat began to seep from Elanda forehead, while an irritating itch began to nag at her from beneath her loincloth.

Rosa’s eyes snapped open, unleashing a fiery gaze. Her heels lifted from the floor and she sprang forward, hands raised to strike. “KYAAAAAA!” Her hands descended upon the swordswoman in a blur.

“Aaah!” Elanda winced and then fell face-first onto the floor, the vines around her wrists and ankles severed.

“Thanks,” Rosa said, as the heat around her subsided. “Those vines were easier to cut when you stretched them out like that.”

Pushing herself up, Elanda scowled. “You couldn’t think to warn me first? I damn near pissed myself!”

Rosa shrugged, her thin lips hiding a subtle grin. “It didn’t seem necessary, and the look on your face was well worth it.”

“Seems everyone’s out to get me today.” Elanda dusted herself off as she rose to her feet.

“Now that you’re free, how about you explain who this is and what we should do with her?” Rosa said, nudging Titania with her toe.

Elanda looked down at her. The woman lay sprawled on her stomach, her almond hair draped over her face. One knee was bent upwards, hiking up her skirt, while her other leg was outstretched across the floor, baring some angelic, fair skin, and ending on a foot that seemed shaped to perfection, with a sloping, curved arch.

Bending down, Elanda gave the arch a light poke. Titania’s pampered bubble toes curled, exposing her red nail polish. The fairy queen emitted a girlish giggle, before pulling her leg up alongside the other one and hiding her foot beneath her skirt.

Elanda turned to Rosa and raised an eyebrow. “Help me get her up onto this table. I’ll explain everything as we go.”

“Good thing you severed those vines at the tips,” Elanda said. “I was afraid there wouldn’t be enough vine left over for Queenie over here.” She stared at the table, hands on hips.

Titania lay on her back, tied just like Elanda had been before, with her arms pulled out to either side, and her feet stretched out in front of her. They had not been gentle, when they moved her from the floor to the table, but she hadn’t budged. As she lay there, she smiled, as if she were asleep in bed.

“Can’t believe she’s still out,” Elanda said. She leaned over the unconscious fairy queen, rubbing her lower jaw as she stared down at her. She reached down and gave the queen a poke on the top of the foot. All she got from it was a sigh and a deepened smile. “How hard did you hit her, Rosa?”

“Not very hard,” Rosa said, flexing her fingers. “I just knew the right places to strike. Are we ready to awaken her?”

Elanda nodded.

“Okay then.” Circling around behind the table, Rosa reached over and lifted Titania’s head, elevating it a few inches above the table, and causing curtains of light brown hair to spill over both sides of Rosa’s hand. She reached underneath with her other hand and pressed her finger into the back of the head, near the neck. After laying her down, Rosa stepped back and nodded. “All done. The neutralizing effect has been lifted. She should awaken soon.”

The two of them watched as she lay there. Her head rolled to her side and she let out another sigh. Her chest rose and fell through her purple dress, while the tips of her feet swayed from side to side. She yawned, tilting her head back, stretching her arms and legs, balling up her hands and flexing her toes. Elanda and Rosa watched, waiting for the startled gasp, or the questioning “hmmm?” when her body refused to move as expected, but instead, everything then receded back into place, concluding with a satisfied hum.

Elanda folding her arms. “You said she’d be up soon. How soon?”

Rosa shrugged. “Depends on how deep of a sleeper she is. Why do you always have to be so impatient?”

“You saw what she put me through, or some of it anyway. Revenge can’t come soon enough for this fey witch!”

Rosa rounded on Elanda, placing her hands on her hips as she stared up at her. “That isn’t ALL this is about is it? You said we needed to convince her to change the forest back.” She slapped her forehead. “Oh, who am I kidding? Of course this is all you wanted. You’re such a child.”

“Ah, shut up, princess. Let me have my moment.”

A slew of grumbled unintelligible words spilled from Rosa’s mouth, spoken too softly to be heard. Her shoulders slackened and she let out a resigned sigh before raising her head to meet Elanda with a tired gaze. “Look, if you really want to hurry this along.” She reached into the leather purse strapped to her hip and dug out a pair of thick black feathers, looking away as she held them out with one hand. “I found these by her desk, along with some ink.”

“Oh goodie! These are perfect!” Without a word of thanks, Elanda snatched the feathers and held one in each hand, grinning as she approached the slumbering fairy queen. “Heheheh! All right, Queenie. It’s time to wake up.” She reached over with one feather, pressing the long black bristles against the soft and shapely arch in front of her.

“Hehehehe!” Titania giggled, shifting in her sleep and rubbing her feet together.

Elanda turned her head. “You know, for someone over 600 years old she sure looks like a cute kid in her sleep.” She pressed the feather into Titania’s foot once again, letting it slide up, bending as it rolled up the soft ball of her foot and flipped past her toes.

More giggles bubbled out of Titania’s full red lips and she arched her back a small amount. “Ohohohohohoho!” she laughed, thumping her light feet against the table in mild protest. “Oh darling, Oberon. I’d never guessed my busy little bee of a husband had such a playful side to him. I knew choosing cherry red nail polish would finally draw your gaze to me.”

Elanda put her hand to her mouth stifling a giggle. With one hand, she motioned Rosa over.

“Yes? What is it?” Rosa whispered.

Instead of answering, Elanda reached forward and undid the sash around Rosa’s waist in a swift tug.

“Hey! Give that back!” Rosa said, trying to push forward and snatch it back without tripping over her loosened skirt as the ends of it fell around her ankles.

Elanda motioned for silence, and reached across, tying the sash over Titania’s closed eyes.

“Hmhmhm! Oh, you’re getting adventurous I see,” Titania said, blushing through her smile.

Elanda moved in with both feathers, teasing Titania’s red toes with one, while stroking up and down her creamy arch with the other.

There was a gasp and then Titania threw back her head, melodic laughter ringing from her gullet. “Ohohohohohahahaha! Plehehehease my darling, you know my feet are ticklish. Isn’t this a bit MUHUHUHUHUHUHUCH!? OHOHOHOHO YOU DEVIL!”

Rosa shook her head, muttering while Elanda giggled through her teeth, delighting as she continued to play with Titania’s feet and expectations.

After a few moments of fun, Titania lay still, her breaths loud enough to be heard by everyone in the room, while she continued to giggle. Her feet clasped together, while her body twitched as if invisible fingers were poking her at random.

Elanda gave Rosa a nudge. “Hey, Rosa.”

“What?”

“Did they teach you how to give foot rubs back at the palace?”

Rosa blinked. “Where did this come from all of a sudden?”

“Did they or not?”

Rosa paused, then shook her head. “No, but I used to receive them almost every day. Why?”

“You know I’m rotten when it comes to being all soft and gentle.” She pointed towards Titania’s feet, as they lay there, crossed in anticipation. “Think you can give those a nice tender rub for me, huh?”

Rosa stiffened. “What? Well, I suppose it’s possible. I’ve still got my handmaiden’s touch burned into my memory. But are we really doing this? We’ve got work to do.”

Elanda reached forward, grasping Rosa’s thin shoulders with both hands. “Come on. Don’t go craven on me. What’s wrong with having a bit of fun during work? You may be an uptight killjoy from sunrise to sunset, but don’t tell me that you’re not amused too?”

“This whole thing is childish.” Rosa folded her arms and scowled.

Titania stirred on the table. “Honeeey,” she said in a husky voice, getting their attention by waving her foot. “I’m feeling ignored right now. Why did you stop? Are you feeling shy? Or perhaps you wish to keep me in suspense? If so, then it’s working.” She giggled at her own jest before lying back, fists balled up in anticipation.

Elanda’s head shook as she struggled not to giggle. “You heard her, ‘Oberon’. Are you going to keep your lady waiting?”

Sighing, Rosa broke into a subtle grin in the corner of her mouth. “Ok. Just this once.” She reached forward, her darker hand hovering over Titania’s pearly-white foot. She ran the flats of her fingers along the top, letting them drift off her pointed toes.

She was rewarded with a deep sigh. “Mmmm! My darling, have you been working early today? Your hands feel so warm, not that I’m complaining. Your touch is heavenly. Please, do it again.” Her red-nailed toes remained pointed, the tops of her feet level with the table to make them more accessible.

To Elanda’s surprise, Rosa let out a sigh as well. Her hands moved on their own, while she stared at the wall in front of her. Her hands cupped around the tops of Titania’s feet, giving them a gentle squeeze and rubbing them with a lover’s tenderness.

“Ooooh darling! I could do this forever,” Titania purred. “Please, don’t stop. Let us do this all day today.”

Elanda waved a hand in front of Rosa and she blinked. “Oh, um, what is it?” she whispered.

“You looked like you were in a trance. Everything all right?”

“Oh, sorry. I was just remembering things. The palace, the silks, skin that wasn’t roughened by hardship and nonstop travel, a time when things like selfishness and betrayal didn’t exist.”

“Well, save those thoughts for later. You’ve got a job to do.”

“I knew you wouldn’t understand,” Rosa said, her eyes downcast as she smiled. “Just let me have my moment, okay?”

“Whatever, princess.”

She pressed her index fingers into the tops of Titania’s silken feet and rubbed back and forth in a continuous motion, her darker fingers sinking in just enough to produce gasps of pleasure.

“Oh! Oberon. Why have you kept this from me for so long? Ooooooh! This is exquisite! Please, keep going!” Her toes fanned out while her hands gripped the edges of the table.

Sensing an opportunity, Elanda darted in with the feathers, sliding them through the newly-opened gaps and sawing across the soft webbing of Titania’s feet.

The fairy queen’s entire body appeared to bounce off the table. “WHAT-NOHOHOHOHOHO OH YOHOHOHOU NAUGHTY EEEEHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Titania’s musical voice turned shrill and she shook her head, causing her frilly hair to spill across her face and slap against the table. For the first time, her wrists began pulling against the vines, trying to break free. “PLEHEHEHEASE DARLING! IT’S TOO MUHUHUHUHAHAHAHAHA!”

Elanda offered her another break. For the first time, Titania looked utterly exhausted. Her entire face was red, rather than just her cheeks, her breaths were long and deep, and trickles of sweat ran down her forehead. “My goodness! You are ruthless. Please remember, darling, a fair damsel like myself in not meant for such exertion. Is this the extent of your desire for me? Has the distance between us hounded you in the same way it has hounded me all these years?”

She raised her head, despite the blindfold. “Oberon, darling, your intentions could not possibly be clearer. My busy bee, your flower awaits.” She fell back, and her body remained still. Open and inviting. However, her breaths were quick and shaky.

Snickering, Elanda turned and winked at Rosa, signaling for her to stay put. She then moved up towards the head of the table and leaned over, reaching for the sash tied around Titania’s eyes.

“Oberon? You smell different. Did you not have time to apply your sweet berry cologne this morning? No matter. You did not need it this time. Now, hurry and untie this blindfold so I can see you again with my own two e-EEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

Elanda reared back, teetering on one foot as Titania blasted her with the loudest and shrillest of screams. “Argh! By the Holy Father!” she said, trying to shake the ringing out of her head.

Titania stared at Elanda and Rosa, wide-eyed and panting. “So, it wasn’t…? A-and I said all those things to…?” She shook her head and let it fall back on the table. “Oh gods, I could use some fey spores right now. A whole jar of them.”

Rolling her head back up, she stared at her two captors, and let out a heavy sigh. “Well, don’t I feel foolish. Often, I’m quite the fan of pranks, but right now, if I had my full powers, I’d turn you into a pickle and then perhaps we could spend a few hours making up for the soul-crushing disappointment you just put me through.”

She then turned to Rosa. “And who would you be? A friend of this brute I presume?”

Rosa wrinkled her nose at the suggestion. “I’d prefer co-worker, or associate. The forest seems to be cursed or enchanted, and I was told that you’re responsible.”

“Well, you were told correctly, and I could easily fix it. Pity you two had to squander all of my good will on a childish prank.”

Rosa turned and scowled at Elanda, who shrugged back. “Well,” Rosa said, “whether you’re on our side or not, Arben has plenty of panicking woodcutters’ wives who are depending on us to fix this so we can reunite them with their husbands. Also, my rent isn’t going to pay itself, so we’ll have your compliance one way or another so we can collect on this bounty.”

“My, aren’t you the personification of gallantry,” Titania said, chuckling. “Well, I wish you both luck in your heroic attempt to rescue your paychecks – erm - I mean those woodcutters.”

“Thanks. Good luck to you too,” Elanda said.

“What do you mean by that?”

Grinning, Elanda held up the two feathers and Titania’s body wend rigid.

“Oh my, it looks like I’d forgotten about those.” Her feet crossed and curled together at the sight of the two long, black plumes in front of her. “M-might I interest you in some fey mushrooms instead?”

“Sorry, but I’m fresh outta good will too,” Elanda said, cracking her knuckles. She turned her head. “Hey, Rosa?”

“What?”

“Have you still got that inkwell you picked up from the desk?”

“Yes. Why?”

Elanda grinned. “I think I know how to get some of that ‘good will’ back.” She leaned forward, looking Titania in the eye. “So, not long ago, you said you’d always wanted a foot tattoo, right?” She took one of the feathers and dipped the quill into the inkwell.

Titania’s eyes widened and her feet tried to flinch away, as she stared at the pointy quill tip, dripping with black ink. “Aaah! Did I really say that? You’re certain you did not mishear me?”

“You did, now hold still.” Elanda reached over with her free hand and grasped Titania’s bare foot in her strong hand.

“N-now, now, let’s not make assumptions. Look, maybe I was a bit intrigued by it when I was younger.” The quill then poked her in the ball of her foot and she jumped, along with the pitch of her voice, sending a flurry of words tumbling from her like coins from a slashed purse. “Oh but I’ve matured since then and now understand that this was simply a matter of childish rebellion please understand I never meant anything by it I was just humoring you!” she said in a single breath, her toes still struggling to wrench free from Elanda’s powerful grip.

Rosa nodded her approval. “Hmm. Not a bad idea, Elanda. If this is her reaction, then I’m onboard. What kind of tattoo should we give her? I could try my hand at drawing the Denjabu palace on that foot of hers. Her skin tone’s a bit light for the desert setting, but why not?”

“No! Not that!” Titania said. “Make it something simpler. Something with fewer strokes, please!”

Elanda snorted. “Give me a break. A palace? Tattoos are for people with courage, not sheltered palace-dwellers. Let’s give her something with guts, like a two-headed ogre.”

Titania recoiled in horror. “Gods no! Something prettier. I beg you.”

Rosa clicked her tongue at Elanda’s suggestion. “Of course, YOU’D pick something that can be killed in battle. Tattoos are accessories, for showing off beauty. How about the moon?”

“Too nocturnal,” Titania said.

“Hmm, a spear?”

“Too masculine.”

“A butterfly?”

“Too much like Oberon.”

“A sword?”

“For goodness sake, Blade of the Wilds, I’m not you!”

Rosa then snapped her fingers. “Aha! I’ve got it. It fits that haughty attitude of hers perfectly.”

Titania rolled her eyes. “Oh, trust me, I can be quite accommodating when I’m not tied to a table and about to have an unknown image tickled onto my foot.”

Rosa smiled and nodded her head. “Yep. No doubt about it. This’ll be perfect.”

“Oh blast it!” Titania said, falling back on the table. “Mark my words, if you make my feet look ugly, you’ll find no place that is safe from my wrath.”

“Relax. I used to practice painting back when I lived at the palace.” Taking a feather in one hand, Rosa pointed towards Titania’s bare ankles. “Elanda, get up on the table and keep her feet steady.”

“Hey! Why do you get to have all the fun? Wasn’t this my idea?” Elanda said, staring down at Rosa who looked back without flinching.

“Do you know anything about drawing? Have you every drawn anything before in your life?”

Elanda felt the urge to back away from that resolute gaze. “Well, yeah, a few times, long ago.” To be fair, though, they were mostly incomprehensible scribbles from her early childhood. Like most activities that didn’t involve swords, or making things that moved stop moving, her attempts at it had only invited mockery from the rest of the elven community. “Ugh! Fine, she’s all yours.” She climbed up onto the table and knelt atop Titania’s ankles. “Here they are, master artist. Show me your skills.”

“Of course.” Rosa cleared her throat, while she dipped her quill into the inkwell. “Now, where to start?” She took a step back, staring at the quivering pale sole in front of her, as if looking at it from the right angle would make the image magically appear on it. “I suppose we’ll want to lay out a solid outline for this. We’ll start here, at the base. Elanda, make sure her feet stay pressed together.” She held the quill against the lower left end of Titania’s left arch, pressing just deep enough to leave a very shallow indent. Elanda felt the fairy queen’s body jump as the quill began to move towards the right in a single deft stroke.

“Yeeeheeheeheehahaha!” Titantia’s feet scrunched from the touch, and ebullient laughter poured from her lips, contrasted only by the furious beating of her fists on the table. “Plehehehehease, I reheheheheally dohohohon’t wahahahant this.”

“Nonsense,” Rosa said. “Look at these feet curl. And that has to be some of the most jovial laughter I’ve ever heard.”

“I cahahan’t hehehelp it! Hahahahahaha!”

“Don’t distract me,” Rosa said. “I need to focus. Elanda, could you pull back her toes for me? I need these arches to be completely wrinkle-free.”

Nodding, Elanda clamped down on the tips of both feet and pulled back, stretching them taut.

The sudden immobilization of Titania’s feet drove up the volume of her laughter and made her twitch nonstop. “Ohohohoho please, nohoho. Yohohohou’ll kihihihilll me!”

“Well then, at least you can die with some of the most beautifully decorated feet in all of Arben,” Rosa said. “Or you can restore the woods to their original form. Your choice. Now, I’ll want this base line nice and thick. I’d better re-trace it a few more times.

The quill continued its movement: left to right, left to right, left to right, following the same shallow curve, dipping below Titania’s blushing arch and ending at the beginning of her heel before lifting and repeating again. Each stroke drew a thin black line, as well as a twitch and a startled yelp from the hapless fairy, followed by a shiver and a stream of giggles.

Meanwhile, as Elanda knelt atop Titania’s ankles, she leaned forward, watching the foot artistry in motion. Struggling wasn’t even necessary for Elanda, as Titania attempted to wrench her feet away from the quill’s strokes. She grinned as she drank in the jumps, squirms, giggles and pleading wails from her former tormentress.

“Okay, the base is finished, now hold on while I get the rest of the outline.” Following Rosa’s lead, the quill slid up the inner edge of Titania’s pale sole, making her shake her foot and squeal with laughter.”

“Nohohoho thihihihis is worse! Hahahahahaha! Plehehease let me mohohohove!” Titania beat her fist against the table, while she strained her neck in an attempt to look past Elanda’s back to keep track of Rosa’s movement.

Rosa then lifted the quill and began to trace up the outer edge of Titania’s foot, drawing another yelp from the startled fairy. Rosa’s hand shifted from side to side, jumping back and forth between the inner and outer edge of the foot, until Titania’s constant yelping caused her to let her head fall back, surrendering as she let loose a steady stream of musical laughter.

“Excellent! What a perfect fit,” Rosa said as she lifted the quill and gave Titania a moment to rest.

Elanda stared at her with furrowed brows. “Hey! Why are we stopping? We won’t change her mind if we keep giving her breaks.”

“Oh right, of course.” Rosa dismissed the comment with a wave. “But everything must be perfect.” She observed her handiwork. “And what perfection we have here. These feet were made for an image like this. The perfect canvas.” She traced a finger along the edges of Titania’s foot, making her giggle. “All these years, this image has been sitting here, waiting to be drawn in.”

Elanda felt Titania’s gaze on her back and turned to find a hanging jaw and two incredulous eyes. “H-hey! Don’t look at me. I’ve never seen her like this before,” Elanda said, putting up her hands.

“Now, Elanda, I need your close cooperation for this part,” Rosa said. “You’ll need to grip her toes without covering the bottoms of them, but you’ll only need to hold one at a time.”

Behind her, she heard Titania gasp and in front of her all ten of the fairy’s toes curled in defense. “What!? Explain yourself, desert woman. What do you have planned for my feet?”

“You’ll see when this is finished.” Rosa dipped the quill into the inkwell and blew on it. “We’ll start on the big one. I’ll be using a steady hand here, so don’t let her toe curl no matter what.”

“All right,” Elanda said, sighing. At least she got to do something. Gripping Titantia’s big toe from opposite sides, she held it in place, outstretched and awaiting its torture, while the rest of her foot was stuck in a half curl.

Titania’s body shook and her breaths came fast and light. “N-now, please, hear me out. I am queen of the fey. M-my kingdom has all kinds of riches. I can make both of you very rich. Why, I m-may even consider fixing the forest.” Once the quill pressed into the ball of her foot, the words spilled out again. “Ok ok I’ll do it! I’ll even throw in the riches! Lots of them!”

However, as Rosa stared with a wide-eyed smile at the quivering canvas in front of her one could be forgiven for thinking she was already looking at a large chest full of gold. Moving the quill upwards, she drew a line straight up the stem of Titania’s big toe, circling around the toe itself and coming back down.

To no one’s surprise, Titania was in hysterics the moment it began. “Plehehehehase lihihihisten! Ohohoho thihihihihis it too much! Hahahahahahahahaha! Plehehehease not my toes! Nahahahahahaha!” Nothing but nonstop laughter followed that. She raised her head and opened her mouth to speak, but language was lost to her, as Rosa’s quill rose and dipped up and down each toe, drawing louder and shriller laughter each time, until the linework on her pinkie had her red in the face.

It did not stop there, however. Rosa’s quill swished across Titania’s foot in what seemed like random strokes from Elanda’s perspective, darting in, twirling, sweeping out, a swish here, a stroke there, all to the sound of desperate laughter that had lost its melodic tone.

Rosa stepped back, pressed all ten of her fingers to her lips and flung them out, blowing a kiss. “Viola!”

Dismounting from Titania’s ankles, Elanda circled around and took a look. “A crown? Not bad. Pretty good in fact.” The base of the crown ran along Titania’s lower arch, before circling up the edges of her feet. A jeweled steeple ran up each of the toes and several others lined the ball of her foot, drawn in exhaustive detail, giving the jewels a three-dimensional look, and a hint of a shadow along the edge of the crown. “Why didn’t you ever tell me you could draw?”

Rosa shrugged. “I did not think I still had the gift. I wasn’t this good back in the palace. I guess my training as a monk helped steady my hand and hone my focus.”

Titania did not appear to share their appreciation. Her face was still red. Her breaths were slow and heavy and she sported a glower that could melt rocks. “You! You, insolent, disrespectful, ah!” Her voice cut off as Rosa raised the feather.

“We still have your other foot if you’re not feeling compliant.”

Titania stared at the feather, drawing back from it. Then she sighed, the color fading from her cheeks. “I suppose it’s no use getting so agitated.”

“As long as you help us with the forest, you have nothing to worry about.”

“Oh, I beg to differ there,” Titania said. She flashed them a grin, before her body dissolved into the air.

“Did she teleport?” Rosa said.

Elanda recalled having seen this before. “Behind us!” Right on cue, something hit her from behind. The force was so great that it knocked her off of her feet, sending her falling forward. Her heart raced as she saw the table approaching. She tried to break her fall, but something coiled around her, binding her arms to her waist. “Nooo!” She groaned as her chin slammed into the wooden edge, rocking her head. She pitched to the side, landing on her back. “Ugh! That was rough.” She heard a muffled voice beneath her.

“Get off me!” Rosa said.

Elanda rolled off of her partner and ended up lying on her back, on the wooden floor.

To her side, Rosa had a rope coiled around her entire body. There were no knots, or anything securing the rope, but when either of them struggled, it would not budge. As she looked to her side, a pair of pearly bare feet with red nail polish walked past her head.

As she looked to her side, a pair of pearly bare feet with red nail polish walked past her head.

“You can stop that now,” Titania said. “Those are magical ropes. Against them, your muscles are about as useful as that forceful gaze of yours. Only someone with a magical gift can get you out of these.” She folded her arms and stared down at them. “Which means, you two had best watch your tongues around me if you ever want to get out of these.”

Her words did not stop Elanda from trying, but the ropes refused to budge even an inch. “Orcus’s Blood! I’m stuck!”

“For someone with elf ears, you certainly don’t use them often,” Titania said.

“A magic rope spell. I’ve heard about these,” Rosa said. “The court mage used to entertain me with such a spell, by making a rope rise out of a pot. To think we could be beaten by a petty trick like this.”

Elanda grimaced. “Maybe we wouldn’t be in this mess if you’d sensed the attack coming, monk. Can’t you sense auras?”

Rosa scoffed. “Give me a break! That was a magic spell. I can’t sense magic. What about you, half-elf?”

“Oh, don’t you start with this again. You know I’ve never been good with magic.”

Titania cleared her throat and both of them stopped. As they looked up, she was sitting cross-legged on the floor. “Impressive,” she said, examining the sole of her foot. “You really do have a knack for artistry. Perhaps I’ll make this permanent when I return home.” She looked up and smiled. “Well, I’m impressed, which is a good start for you two.”

“Good to know,” Rosa said. “I’m still surprised we’re even in this situation in the first place.”

Titania giggled. “Really? Did you honestly think the queen of the fairies would not know a spell as simple as teleportation?”

“Yes but,” Elanda paused, unable to grasp at the question nagging at her.

“Yeeees?”

“So, that whole thing we just put you through. You could’ve escaped at any time?”

Titania sighed. “Yes, I did just say that, did I not?”

“So, why didn’t you?”

“I chose not to, I suppose?” Titania said, shrugging.

“What!?” Elanda shook her head. “You were shrieking. Begging us to stop. Your face was red. You tried to bribe us, by the Abyss! And now you’re saying you endured all that by choice? Are you some kinda masochist?”

Titania scoffed. “I should have you punished for such a bold question, but I’ll overlook it for now. I knew this would be no tea party. I’ll admit, I was rather terrified. Hardly a moment went by when I wasn’t wishing for it to be over.”

“Yeah, but?”

Titania balled her dainty hands up into fists. “Oooh, but I really wanted that tattoo. Just picturing the outrage on Oberon’s face when I fly into the royal courts with this foreign design on my foot. He’d be speechless, enraged even, but at least he’d be looking at me for once instead of his subjects and his courtiers. Honestly, to think that I’d have to resort to something like this just for some marital affection.”

Rosa smirked. “Funny. You remind me of myself when I was young.”

“To show my appreciation, I have a present for you.” Titania snapped her fingers and a glass bottle appeared in her hands. A transparent light green liquid rested inside it. Elanda would have assumed it was tree sap, but this fluid might as well have been water, with the way it sloshed and rippled inside the bottle. “Let it be known that I always repay all kindnesses. I made this myself, with some help from the court alchemist, using some of the rarest plants in the Feywild. Do you like it?”

“Like it? I don’t even know what it is,” Elanda said.

Titania rolled her eyes. “Oh, of course you wouldn’t. How silly of me.”

“It’s for your skin,” Rosa said, sighing.

Titania nodded. “She speaks the truth, Blade of the Wilds. Believe it or not, there are actually ways to care for your skin, other than by rolling around in a nearby brook.”

Elanda’s eyes grew shifty. “I knew that. I’m not stupid.”

“If only you made that easier to believe.” Titania removed the cork and emptied the substance onto her hand. “Oooh! There’s that tingle I love so much. This ensures that my skin remains soft and unblemished every day. Now, hold still. Your feet have grown hard and rough from all of that walking.”

Elanda gasped as she saw the fairy queen reach forward and felt her press against the soles of her feet with two moistened hands. “H-hey! Stop that. I worked hard to get my feet this tough. But, I guess it feels kind of nice.” The softness and warmth from Titania’s touch was quick to dispel any desire to argue further. She did not react as the queen massaged her feet, but her muscles began to relax. She continued to watch, wary of any unexpected movements, but the temptation to let her head fall back and to just accept the treatment nagged at her.

Once the treatment was finished, Elanda felt a persistent tingle, like a swarm of fleas jumping up and down on the soles of her feet. “Wh-what’s this?” she said, scrunching her feet as she tried not to giggle.

“Oh, this is a very fast-acting formula. The tingle is just a sign that your feet are softening.” She stretched her legs out and flexed her feet, baring her smooth soles. “Once the tingling stops, your feet will be just like mine.”

“Wow. I bet the nobility of Arben would pay a fortune for a formula like that,” Rosa said.

However, Elanda was having other thoughts. “This stuff isn’t permanent, right? Unlike you, I have to walk on these.”

“Oh, the effect should wear off in a few weeks. For now, they should provide a very soft surface for my fingers.”

Elanda blinked. “What? So that’s why you did this?”

“Hmhm! Of course. Were you really expecting a reward for what you put me through?”

Elanda stared at the ceiling, trying to recall everything that had just happened. Reading the intentions of others was a task she preferred to leave to her friends. “But, what about the tattoo?”

“A fine gift,” Titania said, peeking at her sole one more time. “But, the intentions behind it were very ugly indeed. And surely you did not forget about the prank from earlier?”

“Aaaaah, right!” Elanda said, furrowing her brows as if she’d been hit by a dark revelation. “Looks like we’re back where we stared, Gra’Huk?”

Rosa sighed. “Really? It took you that long to figure it out? And who is Gra’Huk?”

“Just clearing my throat.”

Titania laced her fair fingers together and stretched them out in front of her. “Your feet have calmed down, so the formula must be finished. I must say, I can almost see myself in those arches right now. Eager as I am to get started, I must first tend to the feet of your partner over there.” Grabbing the bottle, she poured some more lotion in her hand.

The hands approaching Rosa’s feet might as well have been made of molten iron, judging from the horrified look on her face. “What? Wait!” Her voice cracked as she stared in front of her. “R-really, my feet don’t need anything like that. They’re sensitive enough already.”

Elanda giggled. “Oh, come on, princess. You’re always talking about how much you missed the royal life. At least you can have some royal soles, right?”

“This isn’t the time for jokes, you – oh, merciful gods!” She cut off and rolled her head back.

Titania giggled. “Former royalty? Well, I can see that your royal feet have long missed this kind of pampering. You should see yourself right now.”

Rosa let out a very long, deep sigh, followed by heavy breaths. Her back arched against the floor, while her feet flexed, both of them stretching out to welcome Titiania’s gentle caress.

Elanda shook her head. “Pathetic,” she muttered under her breath. Rosa may have been able to single-handedly defeat a gang of bandits, best a demon in single combat, or shatter a boulder with her bare foot, but all of that prowess evaporated the moment she was in the enemy’s clutches.

“All done. How does that feel?”

“You’re done? Please just a lihihitle mohohehehehehe!” Her request dissolved into giggles. She shook her head while her feet convulsed, despite the fact that nothing was touching them.

“Sorry, I did not catch that,” Titania said. “Do you think you could control your giggles a bit?”

Elanda grumbled. “Ah, don’t tell me you can’t hold in your laughter from a few tingles. You’re a monk, by the gods! Show some self-control.”

Rosa blushed and shook her head, but that did nothing to stop her outpouring of giggles. If anything, it seemed to have grown louder.

Elanda sighed. Why was it that whenever she used her words to accomplish something, the opposite always seemed to happen instead? There was a reason why she often stuck to swinging her sword or her fists to solve problems.

Rosa was still red in the face once she had stopped giggling.

“Ah, now for the best part.” Titania rubbed her chin as she stared at the pairs of super smooth feet before her. “Now, whom to start with?”

“Oh, you’d best start with Elanda,” Rosa said, gesturing with her head. “She can handle this much better than me.”

“What!? Shut up, you! You’ve got a better laugh than me anyway. She should start with you.”

The two ladies rounded on each other, or tried to, despite being unable to do any more than turn their heads.

“Listen to you. You’re always going off about being a brave warrior who doesn’t know fear, and yet here you are, trying to make me suffer for you.”

Elanda bristled. “My pride’s taken enough hits already today. If you weren’t always such a coward when tied up, maybe you’d be worth protecting.”

Rosa’s eyes narrowed and subtle grin could be seen in her lips. “Please, Elanda. Titania has given us a generous gift. We should be showing more appreciation.”

“Generous? You’ve gotta be flaming joking! If you wanna be more like a weak and fragile fairy, then go ahead, but this lotion, this magic, that fey monstrosity sitting in front of us, all of it makes me sick!”

Titania cleared her throat, interrupting their argument. “I’ve made up my mind. These half-elven feet are begging for my attention.”

Elanda’s partner shot her a triumphant grin and turned to watch the scene play out.

“Ah, Blade of the Wilds,” Titania said, meeting her piercing gaze with an intense stare. “That mouth of yours has a knack for getting you into trouble.”

Elanda grumbled. “Fine! Are you gonna keep talking my ear off, or are we gonna get this over with?”

“A fair question. That all depends on how long it takes for you to learn your lesson, and some manners. Now, before we begin, I have a question for you.” Titania inched forward and lowered her hand towards Elanda’s twitching foot. “Are you ticklish?”

She started the same way as she had before. One finger, wiggling up and down Elanda’s wide arch. However, she wasn’t tickling the same feet from before.

Elanda burst into unstoppable giggles the moment she felt that long red nail stroke across her arch once again. Her softened flesh gave way the moment it was touched, sinking into a shallow valley that trailed behind as Titanita’s finger slid up, over and down the entire sole, in circles, and other random shapes.

“Nohohohohoho! Stahahahapit!” Elanda giggled, more to herself than to Titania, shaking her head in stubborn defiance of her own ticklishness. This wasn’t happening. She couldn’t be this ticklish?

“Awww, this is adorable. I have you rolling on the floor with a mere waggle of my finger.” Titania lay on her belly, resting her chin in her hand and dangling her feet behind her as she teased the swordswoman into hysterics.

“Stick to her arches. She hates it there,” Rosa said from the side.

Elanda glared at her. “Rohohohosa! Yohohohou trahahaitor!” She had more she wanted to say, but Titania’s finger then went straight for her arch, drawing small circles around the center and she lost it, too distracted to say any more as she rolled on the floor, unable to even stretch the ropes that held her. “Stahahap or I swear I – nahahahahaha!”

Rosa snickered. “Stop? Oh no. I’m taking full advantage of this moment. Consider this payback for every time you called me ‘spoiled’ or ‘weak’.”

“Yohohou are!”

“Ok. You asked for it. I’m going to savor this.” Rosa turned to Titania. “I’d say it’s about time we upped the intensity, wouldn’t you agree?”

“A capital idea.” Titania added another hand to the fray, using three fingers each and replacing the steady finger tracing with quick strokes.

Each stroke sent an electric jolt through Elanda’s powerful body and compelled her to laugh. “Nohohohohoho! Gahahahahawds yohohohou whore! Hahahahahah!” She wriggled like a worm, beating her ankles against the floor as she cackled towards the ceiling.

“Now, that’s not very nice,” Titania said. “Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

“Plehehehease! I’ll do ahahahanything!” Elanda said.

“Anything? I guess that stubborn will of yours is breaking already. My request is very reasonable. All I want is an apology, for calling me frail, and for calling me a monstrosity. I found those words to be deeply offensive.”

“Buhuhuhut it’s true! Hahahaha – NOOOHAHAHAHAHA!” Elanda’s laughter became a booming shriek as Titania used the full force of all ten fingers on both feet at once. This was far too much for her. She was not used to being this ticklish on her feet. Breathing became difficult and her cheeks grew warm as full-throated laughter poured from her with more force than she could handle.

“Your mouth must really hate you, if it keeps insisting on getting you into so much trouble. Clearly, no one has taught you about the importance of apologies. Just because a phrase is true doesn’t mean that it’s the proper thing to say.”

Most of her words drifted over Elanda’s head, as she wrestled with more pressing matters like her throbbing sides and the struggle to breathe. However, she knew what an apology was, and right then, she was not too proud to use one if it meant putting a stop to this torment.

“AHAHAHAI’M SOHOHORRY!” she said. A small part of her rejoiced as a few of Titania’s fingers dropped out of the foot festival. She fought to gulp down as many breaths as she could between bursts of laughter.

“Very good. As you can see, apologies are a great way to make things better for you. Let me hear it again.”

Elanda inhaled and let out another apology, wishing she could to jump for joy when Titania returned to her one-finger tease. It still tickled immensely, but it was a gift from the heavens compared to what she’d suffered a moment earlier.

“One more time,” Titania said. “Are you sorry for what you called me? Are you sorry for calling me frail and a monstrosity?”

Elanda pondered the question. This went against everything she’d been taught, growing up. “Y-yeheheahahahah!” she said. That turned out to be good enough for Titania, and Elanda let out a huge sigh as welcome normality returned to her feet. However, there was more to it than just relief. For once, her mouth had gotten her out of trouble rather than into it. It felt good, empowering even. She beamed as she lay there, still unable to move.

Titania shot her the sweetest of smiles. “Apology accepted.”

“Thanks.” Elanda lay back grinning, not even feeling the sting from the pride that she’d chosen to discard.

“Wow. That had to really tickle if it got YOU of all people to apologize,” Rosa said.

“Indeed,” Titania said, crawling over to Rosa’s side. “I wonder how long it will take to get an apology from you?”

Rosa did not even hesitate. “I’m sorry. Really, this was all her idea. I never would have done this on my own, I swear.”

Titania paused. “Well, this is different. I suppose palace life has taught you more about how to behave.” She paused, appearing to digest what she’d just said. “Or, perhaps you just have some very sensitive feet.” Easing back onto her belly, she held out her hands and wiggled her fingers inches from Rosa’s sand-colored soles.

Rosa’s toes curled as if the wiggling fingers were already touching them. A lone finger managed to reach an inch too far and made a quick swipe across the ball of her foot, making Rosa yelp.

Elanda scoffed. “Such a coward. She hasn’t even started yet and you already look ridiculous.”

Rosa shot Elanda the briefest of dirty, looks, never fully taking her eyes off of Titania’s fingers.

“What’s the problem. Are these hands disrupting your train of thought?” Titania said. “You don’t handle anticipation very well do you.”

“N-not of this sort, no.”

“Then let’s do something about that.”

Elanda saw Titania reach forward and then her ears rang as a bloodcurdling shriek filled the room. “Argh! By the Abyss, watch it! These elf ears aren’t just for show.”

However, Rosa was too busy to respond. With just two fingers, Titania had her howling with laughter, color already beginning to run up her cheeks as she pleaded with her eyes for Titania to stop.

“I’m still waiting for that apology,” Titania said.

“Oh, you’ll never get it by doing that,” Elanda said.

“Oh? And why is that? Are you saying I should tickle her harder?”

Elanda laughed. “You’ve got me tempted to say, ‘yes’, but I wouldn’t want her to suffocate.”

Titania’s mouth fell open and closed just in time to stifle a giggle. “You cannot be serious. Is she really THAT ticklish?”

“Look at her. She’s practically a tomato already.”

Sure enough, Rosa’s facial tone had gone from sand to mulch. Her head appeared to rumble and her feet flapped faster than Elanda’s eyes could follow.

“My goodness! It seems I went a little too far with this one.” Titania pulled her hands back.

Rosa did not even stop to breathe. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’ll never draw on your feet again! I apologize! Please no more I beg you!” Once everything was out, she fell back and caught her breath. The color faded from her face, but remained in her cheeks.

“Just how ticklish were you before I applied the oil?”

Rosa’s jaw clenched. “It’s just an issue for me to work out! Give me some time!” There was an edge in her tone, like an irritable child who had been scolded for having an unclean room. She closed her eyes and sighed.

“Well, I got my apologies, and satisfied my curiosity.” Titania repositioned herself between the two of them. Holding a hand in front of each of their feet. “Now let’s see how long it takes to tickle both of you unconscious.”

Elanda and Rosa both snapped to attention. “What!? Why? We apologized,” Elanda said.

“True, you did,” Titania nodded. “I know I said I’m not petty, but I may have exaggerated a bit. You two are just too fun to release just yet. While you’re here, I might as well make the most of it. Are you ready?”

Both of them shook their heads, their voices overlapping as they tried to dissuade their would-be tickler.

“Too bad, because I certainly am.” She wiggled her fingers, giggling to herself when there was a knock.

“Hello?” a young female voice said from just outside. “Anybody home?”

Titania sighed. “Figures. People just keep finding this place today. You two stay put.” With a twirl of her finger, Titania was gone and the rugged herbalist stood in her place. She offered both of them a bow. “I’ll be right back.” She closed the door behind them, leaving Elanda and Rosa to wait in silence.

The silence would have been tolerable if not for Rosa’s constant shuffling, grunting and breathy whimpers. It came as a relief when she finally decided to speak. “So, that voice we just heard from outside, that was really-”

“Janet, yes,” Elanda said. “She’s been with us long enough. There’s no mistaking that annoying chirping.”

“I knew that.” Rosa bit her lip, while her shoulders began to slump. “I just, wanted to be sure. That’s all. Don’t worry, I’m sure she can handle herself.”

“I’m not worried, but don’t fool yourself. She may be a good thief and assassin, but she’s not gonna see through Titania’s trickery.”

Rosa twitched from the assertion. “D-don’t say that! She’ll be fine. She’s a lot cleverer than she seems sometimes.”

Elanda scoffed. “You’re kidding, right? You yourself said that she once surrendered herself to a group of bandits after escaping them, just because they’d told her not to run away. The girl’s beyond gullible.”

“Don’t say that! At least give her a chance.”

“Look. You’re not her caretaker ok? She may be young, but she’s one of us. Eventually, she’ll be lying here, right beside us, and there’s nothing we can do to stop that, but at least she’ll be here to share the burden. Why, I bet any minute now, Titania will come right through that door, with her in tow and-”

The door flew open with a bang making them both jump. “I must say, that was very perceptive. You have some keen eyes,” Titania’s voice echoed from outside.

“Oh! Thanks. I trained them very well,” Janet said back. “You seem like a very nice lady.”

Rosa and Elanda winced as they listened. “Yep. She’s completely oblivious, as always,” Elanda murmured.

Titania stepped back into the room, sporting her purple gown and fey appearance. Following close behind was Janet, dressed head-to-toe in black cloth that blended perfectly with her shadow black hair, and contrasted just as much with her peachy complexion. Wrist and shin guards covered her limbs and a small armory of knives, climbing gear, smoke bombs, and small metal projectiles affixed to her uniform. If not for her small stature, open posture, and those wide-open brown eyes, sporting a childish innocence, she could easily look terrifying in such deadly regalia.

She came to an abrupt stop when she spotted Elanda and Rosa. “Oh! What are you two doing here?” She turned to Titania with a bewildered stare. “Why are they tied up? Did they do something bad?”

“Completely oblivious,” Elanda repeated under her breath.

“You could say that,” Titania said. “They broke into my home, threatened me, and attacked me.”

Elanda pulled against the ropes. “Don’t trust her, Janet! She’s dangerous.”

“Janet, Please, be careful,” Rosa added.

Titania shot them both a look often reserved for a misbehaving pet. “Enough, you two.” Kneeling down, she brought a hand to Rosa’s slender left foot and Elanda’s larger right foot, and spidered her fingers across both at once.

“Eeeehahahaahahnhahahahat thihihihis again! Hahahaha!” Elanda laughed.

“Aahahahahaha! Jahahahanet! Doohohoho something! Hahahahahha!”

Elanda watched with a glimmer of hope. Titania’s back was turned. All Janet needed to do was pull out a knife and plunge it right into her back, or at least subdue her by hitting a pressure point.

Janet shuffled her bare feet on the floor. “Um, could you not do that please?”

“And why not!?” Titania snapped at her for the first time. “These two have been such a handful. Mercy is too kind for them.”

“Well, yeah, but they’re my friends. Elanda’s got a rough personality and gets into fights a lot, but she can be really handy at times. Rosa may not be the most trusting or warm of people, but she’s very nice to me. I’d hate to see anything bad happen to her. Could you let them go for me?”

Elanda grew impatient. “Jahahahanet yohohou idiot! Stahahahahap being sohohohoho nice!”

Titania sighed and pulled her hands back. “Awww, how can I possibly say ‘No’ to a sweetie like you?” She reached forward and Janet giggled as she mussed the girl’s black hair. “Very well. I’ll let them go, if you promise to take them off my hands.”

Smiling, Janet nodded.

Elanda and Rosa both flinched as Titania approached them, but all she did was stare down at them. “Honestly, you two could stand to learn a thing or two from this girl.” She snapped her fingers and the magic ropes came undone.

Together, the two freed women rolled to their feet. Elanda darted her gaze around the room. “My sword! Where is it? I’ll cut her in two!”

Rosa grabbed her by the wrist. “No, Elanda. It’s time for us to go.” The stern, tired look in her eyes conveyed a feeling both of them shared.

“Yeah, okay. We’ll withdraw for now.” Snatching up her sword from the corner of the room, she and Rosa followed Janet out of the enchanted cottage. Janet opened the door for them and they stepped outside.

As the outdoor air hit them, they sighed and stretched their arms and legs, relieved to be free to move once again. After saying “Goodbye” to Titania, Janet joined them. “What a nice lady,” she said.

Rosa eyed Elanda with a beaten look. “Well, that’s another failure for us.”

“No kidding.” Elanda turned and spat. We went through all that, and still have nothing to show for it. The woods are still enchanted, and the woodmen are still lost.”

“Oh them?” Janet said. “Don’t worry. They’re all fine, as is the forest.”

Elanda shook her head. “What? How? What did you do?”

“Nothing. The fairy lady told me about the enchantment when I asked her. She already took care of it. The forest is back to normal.”

“She did? How did you get her to do it?”

“I asked her,” Janet said, shrugging. “Simple as that.”

“We’re so proud of you.” Rosa gave the young ninja’s hand a gentle squeeze. She then turned to Elanda and gave her a light nudge. “I guess we really do have a lot to learn from this girl.”

“Yeah, but if we don’t find those men, we’re not getting any payment for this. We’d better go find them before they find their way home on their own.”

“Or we could sell these.” Janet reached into the satchel by her waist and pulled out a glass jar full of mushrooms. “The fairy lady said these come from the Fey Wilderness or something like that, and would sell for a lot. She gave me them as a parting gift.”

Elanda balked. “You’re joking!?”

Janet stuck out her lower lip. “I’m NOT joking,” she whined. She unscrewed the cap on the jar. “These are real. See? Take a… ah… ACHOO!”

Elanda ran forward snatched the jar out of Janet’s shaking hands and resealed it before any more spores could get out. “Well, these are Fey Shrooms all right.”

“How can you tell?” Rosa said.

All Elanda had to do was point to Janet, who was staring off into space, eyes and mouth both wide open, while she swayed from side to side. “Nnnnno, g-grandmaster, hehe I’m sohohorry I stole the owlbears. I’ll put ‘em back. I promise.” Her words came out in a low mumble and she broke into a grin as giggles tumbled out of her in short bursts.

Rosa ran up to Janet and grasped her shoulders. “Janet. Are you okay?”

Janet held up a hand, cupped as if it were still holding the glass jar. “Yyyyeah, if ya jusss put ‘em in this here jar, they’ll go away and we kin go get dinnrrrrr.” Giggling, she stumbled forward, leading with her head, while her arms trailed behind her. Before she could fall, Rosa reached around her stomach and scooped her up. “Gheeheehee! Nohohoo grahahandmaster! Nohoho tickling! I’m sohohohrry!”

Rosa looked up at Elanda with wide eyes. “I didn’t do anything, I swear.”

“I know. Those shrooms do funny things to the senses,” Elanda said. “Don’t worry. She’ll come around. The sun is already setting. Let’s get her back to town. I’m done with this mission.”

“I agree,” Rosa said. “I’m sure the woodsmen will find their way. Besides, my new feet really aren’t feeling up for a long walk through the woods.”

Okay, this was just fun. There's something about two 'lees trying to convince their mutual tormentor to tickle the other that is fun to see play out. I'll also never object to more stories of high fantasy and adventure that devolve into tickles. I couldn't help but laugh at the ending; I somewhat saw it coming, but that only made the joke hit home more. I hope that this is a sign of more things to come (Rosa in particular needs more torment), but even if this is a one off, it's a welcome one.

A+

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

If you're looking for more Rosa, there's actually a story I posted quite awhile ago that focused mainly on her. This was over a year ago, so you'd probably have better luck running a search for it rather than scrolling through the TMF story history. It was titled "Bad Luck with Lizards".

Thanks for commenting.

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back