• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

How about an evening out on Fri., Oct. 3, in New York City?

Hi, everybody, it's me again.

I want to propose Friday, October 3, for our next occasion of having dinner and drinks at Jack's Restaurant on West 40th Street in New York City.

According to the unofficial feelers I put out via E-mail over the past few weeks, I would say there is a strong possibility that, in addition to the guys, all three of the women who have been at these evenings-out before will be back. Now, I have to quickly clarify the significance of that. Since all we do in these situations is converse around a restaurant table, since the point is simply for people who know each other through an internet message board to get to hang out in person, in one sense gender-balancing doesn't matter. Six men, six men and one woman, or six women and one man are combinations equally competent to sit around a restaurant table and converse. However, women who haven't met any of the rest of us yet tend to feel a little nervous if they think they may be too outnumbered. That concern tends to come up when we do this. For that reason, I want to offer the good news that if anybody's outnumbered this time, it may be the men. Of course, I can't guarantee who will ultimately show up. Last time around, I E-mailed one woman who was planning to show up, and told her--as a full-faith disclosure--that as things currently stood she was going to be the only woman. She came; we all had a nice time.

Please note that this particular event, if you could even call it an event, has no leadership, no agenda, no structure, and no tickling. I help coordinate getting it to happen, but on the actual night I'm merely one of the ones who show up and gab.

So, I'm posting this date to see what response we get. Would everybody who is considering coming please post here and/or E-mail me at [email protected] ? Giggles? Milagros? Shem and Nightfall? Ticklernyc? Stacy? Waiting2btickled? Others?

Thanks.

WorkInProgress' little dinners are always very nice. I recommend people come just to meet each other in person.

I do not know if I will be available October 3 Friday. I might have to be out of New York City that Friday and Saturday.

I will know better in late September/early October.

ticklernyc

Thanks for the endorsement, Ticklernyc, and I hope you can make it this time around.

(But, I will pass the credit around the table rather than thinking of them as my dinners, because once we arrive, I sit back, blend in, and do a lot of listening and learning.)

Yes, I will be able to attend. And the complete fixed price dinner there is a bargain.

All I can say at this point is that it's possible. We'll see how things go closer to the date.

It will be good to meet you, Dan. The stats in your profile match mine almost to a T, the almost being a numeral 3 in yours that would be a 4 for me. (That is to say, I'm also a ler who is what I like to call "lee-curious.")

By the way, here's the precise information on the place. It's Jack's Restaurant and Bar, 147 W. 40th St., between 7th Avenue and Broadway. Here's the menu http://www.jacksrestaurantandbar.com/dinner.htm , and here are the directions http://www.jacksrestaurantandbar.com/directions.htm .

It actually is a restaurant that some people would consider expensive, but there's flexibility in how you approach it. That is, you can grab one slice of pizza somewhere along the way and just get an appetizer and drinks at Jack's, or you can have a full-course dinner someplace else and then just have drinks at Jack's. I always tell the hostess, when I make the reservation, that some of us may just have drinks, and that's okay: they just like to know that some of us will eat, and I tend to get my standard fare of the grilled chicken caesar salad, for a few dollars more than I usually spend on that dish, but that's okay for me for a special occasion.

Anyway, again, it's Friday, October 3, meeting at 7:30. If you're coming, please let us know here on the board, or let me know at [email protected] , and when you get to the restaurant, tell the hostess you're with the Work In Progress group. (I was torn between that and calling us the Tickling Forum group, and I figured after long hours of agonizing over it that "Work In Progress" had a nice ring to it. And again, there are enough creative writers in this circle--I'm a struggling Off-Off-Broadway playwright with numerous "works in progress" to my name--that I figured it fit.)

So...who else is coming to dinner?

i may be around for a spot of tea that evening! now since i don't know anyone by looks, and vice versa, do we all wear feathers in our cap as a tip off?

It's a lot easier than that, Giggle Baron. Ask the hostess for the "Work In Progress" reservation. We'll have a table.

Does "a spot of tea" mean you'll be arriving around 7:30 and being with us throughout, or that you'll be poking your head in for a late cameo? Either is fine. And please confirm for sure during the week.

Anybody else?

*looking around*

Stacy Shippen? Other New Yorkers and near New Yorkers?

details

It would be helpful if all of the details were summarized in one post at this point, including approximate numbers of people expected. Thanks!!

Daniel

I actually don't know much more than you do, at this point. I have maybes from Ticklernyc, Giggles, Shem, and Nightfall, I'm still waiting to hear from Stacy Shippen (a strong maybe before but I'm waiting to hear from her again now), and I have affirmative answers from you, Gigglebaron, and Milagros. So the guest list now stands at four men. (I'm guessing that Baron means male, but I didn't check the profile yet.) And as noted above, it's Jack's Restaurant and Bar, 147 W. 40th St., between 7th Avenue and Broadway, Fri. Oct. 3, at 7:30. Apologies for anyone I've forgotten to mention.

I think, by the way, that it's best for those who can come to go ahead and come, regardless of the configuration. Sure, nobody wants it to be all men, and again there are three women who could still come, but it will work best if everyone who would be willing and able to attend does so, because that way we keep the momentum and continuity, and it doesn't get too dependent on having just the right ratios and configurations.

der Baron is MALE. if und when that changes, Baroness will be adopted! :D

Aye, figured as much...and is the Baron coming at 7:30 on Friday, or swinging by later?

(Note, by the way: As long as several of us do order dinner, as I'm going to, it's okay if some who come at 7:30 just get drinks. Incidentally, what we do, since we're never sure exactly who will arrive when, is that those of us who are there at 7:30 order at 7:30, and those who arrive after can order whenever they like. There are some who are "waiting2btickled," but I won't wait2bfed. Speaking of which...are you out there, waiting2btickled? Any chance of seeing you?)

I just got a probable yes from Shem the Penman and Nightfall (they're a married couple), so persons keeping score on the gender balance can note that at least one woman is expected to be there. (Giggles is a maybe, she'll let us know, and I'm not sure about StacyShippen.)

Anybody else lurking want to materialize and join us?

Hi everyone,

I already transmitted my regrets to WIP via email, but I wanted to relate to anyone lurking here that if you are thinking about attending, but have any trepidation, I can assure you that it is an extremely congenial event. Last time I was the only gal there and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. So hope that more people consider attending, and I hope to see you all the next time!

Peace,
Stacy

Thanks so much, Stacy, and I'm sorry that we won't get to see you this time around. It was great that you were able to make it that evening a few months ago.

Will Probably Be There

It appears now that I can likely attend the little dinner gather this October 3 Friday.

I might be a little late though.

ticklernyc

Excellent, and whenever you get there, you know where to find the rest of us. I just stopped by and made the reservation today. I made an estimate of 8; that can be raised if some of the lurkers would like to come out from the shadows and join us.

sorry for not responding sooner. my best guess is that some deadlines at the office will make it unlikely for me to get there (this "all work, no play" thing has got to stop). but i do appreciate the friendly welcoming, and surely look forward to a future event when i can introduce myself to the wonderful locals!

I'm sure we'll be there through 9:30 at least, so if you get out of the office at 8:30 and want to make a cameo appearance at 9 or 9:15, feel free. We're the "Work In Progress" reservation (designed for the restaurant staff to think we're a writers circle).

WorkInProgress said:
...We're the "Work In Progress" reservation (designed for the restaurant staff to think we're a writers circle).

Not unreasonable, since several of us do write. In my case, only stories for the Post Stories Forum, but I do enjoy writing them. :D

so? how did the gathering fare? i hope to make it to one next time.

What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back