• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

From Glen

glentickle

TMF Regular
I just posted this as a response to a thread started by Ayla, in which she asked if anyone had heard from me. And after reading it again, I felt I wanted to post it as a thread of its own. This is self-indulgent, I know, but I hope you will overlook this, as it brings me comfort to share these ideas. I hope they will bring comfort to someone else too.

Darkknight, Mia, Hal, Ayla, Nontkl, gjackal...

I just want to post again to say how comforting it is to see everyone here checking on everyone else. The one consolation through all of this -- if you can call it that -- is the sense of togetherness, the sense of community, that has swept through New York City. And though it seems natural to me that people should react so, I know others who are surprised by it; heart-warmingly surprised and amazed.

I have two good friends from Denver...actually, they're from a suburb of Denver called Littleton, which you may remember as the site of the Columbine High School shootings several years ago. Both of these friends have younger siblings who attended Columbine, who were inside the school when the event occurred. One of them was the best friend of Dylan Klebold, one of the shooters. I have seen how they are still healing from that incident, though it occurred several years ago now.

One of them lives in New York now, and by coincidence the other one -- and her little sister -- have been staying here, with me, for the past several weeks. And they have all said that the community reaction in New York to the Twin Towers attack is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen; in Littleton, they said, the Columbine incident tore the community apart, as everyone began pointing fingers at everyone else, and lawsuits began piling up. That's the reason they don't want to stay there anymore.

I was born and raised in New York City and I have lived here my entire life. I have a love/hate relationship with this place; I have been talking for years about leaving, calling it an uncivilized place to live -- but I thrive on the energy here as well, and so here I have stayed, always talking about how one day I will finally move out. On Wednesday of this week, when 90 bomb threats were reported in the aftermath Tuesday morning, I said "that's it. It's time to leave." I spent the next three days at my sister's house in the suburbs, but before I left my mind was changed again. A feeling has been awakened in me; I can't call it "patriotism" because it isn't a sense of pride in my country. What I feel is "city-otism," an overwhelming desire to stand my ground and support my city, my people, my community.

I am amazed that I should say this. New York has always been my city. But my "people?" My "community?" Never before have I felt this. So I returned on Friday, and found I could finally connect to the internet, and I found that even in here people were sticking together. I burst out into tears, Ayla, when I saw your post asking about me, and kept crying when I saw that others had responded; then I saw other posts in which everyone seemed to be asking about everyone else, and I stopped crying. I just felt too good to cry.

Why have New Yorkers pulled together, while those in Littleton were torn apart, by their respective tragedies? Is it that now we are facing a common enemy, whereas in Colorado the enemy was some force from within? --I do not care now, and will not think about it until long after emotions settle. Right now I am taking great strength, as so many are, from the camaraderie, the brotherhood and sisterhood, the human togetherness that has mounted in response to this...this event. To find that spirit present even here, where we are all faceless to each other, is the pinnacle of human compassion. My love goes out to each and every one of you.

glen

No Surprise...

Glad you are among the soon to be rebuilders Glen. Those who express surprise at the reaction of the City just aren't familiar with our quaint customs...it's okay for US to tear each other up a bit, but if you're from somewhere else and dare to mess with NYC, you'll find it's a helluva tough place. Hasn't Rudy been awesome? I was never a big fan of his, but he's come up big during this tragedy......we'll rebuild ôhe structures, and perhaps even forge a closer relationship with each other in the boroughs and on Long Island, but we can't bring back the WTC dead. Chin up and keep slugging. I'm organizing with other business partners here to be sure we'll have the funding and labor to do what needs to be done when justice has been served to the fools who started this. If enough "little" groups do these sorts of things, we'll be able to get through it. Hope the report about Kujman is premature...sigh...hope is wearing thin lately though. Q

Glen,
I don't really know you except from your posts. I just want to say that this thread is so moving, so passionate...! I get teary eyed every time I check in to see what's going on in the TMF. It is members such as yourself that make this place feel like a real home.

You have just expressed my sentiments about NY (especially the City) exactly. I haven't been very good with words lately and have tried to keep my own thoughts and feeling to myself so that I can concentrate on keeping the TMF community as peaceful as possible without being bias.

Thank you for sharing some goodness...

Qjakal,

Thank you also for your "buffering" affect in your posts. I realize and have noticed that you have made efforts in stoking out some potential "flames". Just wanted to let you know that it is acknowledged AND appreciated!

Thank you to anyone and everyone who helps us (Mods) keep this place civil and like "a home away from home".:)

Ummm...

Thanks for the kind words MM, but I think for awhile there I was nearly a problem child, not much of a peacemaker...temporary insanity, replaced now with an intense desire to forge our newly acquired unity into an enduring emotion. I've struggled mightily with unfocused anger during this crisis, which is why I'm glad I'm not in a policy position....our government is measuring its response carefully, and hopefully it will be all the more effective due to that calm reasoned approach. If I can help at any spot, just give me a yell...lol. Q

Glen, I know EXACTLY what you mean about having a love/hate relationship with this city and how all of a sudden I realize it's MY city. I could have left the city this weekend and I was suprised to find myself staying! I COULDN'T leave! My life seems so miniscule at a time like this but we go on and though I could really do without all of the bomb threats last week, I'm really feeling civic pride (for the first time in my life!).

Anyhow, as usual, you are an eloquent and sensitive writer, in all things (mama mia...some of your stories!!!), and this post has been no exception. It's been strangely cathartic to go through and basically enact that trauma and fear and dread...and hope(on a very microsmic level, admittedly!) here and at the end of the day, today, it's turning out everyone is all right. It keeps us on our toes as human beings!

Best of all, we get more posts from Glentickle in the story section (look out for them-they're ALWAYS good!)!

such a wonderful group of people post here. so many things define us... and to see that compassion, insight and friendship are among those things means so much to me. I was very surprised at how much I cared about people who I only knew by reading their words. they are just random thoughts, daydreams and event we want to share... but they are a part of us. and the words some of you have shared have touched me deeply. and, of course, the stories :)

Californian here, very proud of New York

Hey Guys,

I just had to say that me (and my family) are very proud of how the people of New York acquitted themselves at every stage of this disaster. The firemen and police who gave their lives deserve an especially heroic funeral, while those still alive are heroes many times over, day after day.

The way everyone is holding it together is a shining example of what makes this country great. :)

Cheers to you, *** holds up a pint of Guinness ***

MB

Hi, all. Just wanted to check back in...thank you for your kind words, Mia. And MB, I'll raise a pint right back at you. glen

And nontkl -- sorry, didn't mean to forget you. We still have to go get that beer sometime soon!

glen

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back