• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What are you reading?

MN Tikl

TMF Poster
This is an off-shoot of the famous "What is your Favorite ______" posts. I'm curious to know what books others here are reading for pleasure. And what are your all-time favorites?

My recent reads have been: Galileo's Daughter (Dava Sobel); Longitude (also Dava Sobel); Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling); Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand); and Hollow Man (Dan Simmons). I'm currently reading "A Peace to End All Peace" (David Fromkin) - a book about the formation of the modern middle east after WWI. These were all good reads, although Hollow Man is not Dan Simmons' best work. For that, I'd suggest the Hyperion saga (Science Fiction - won the Hugo Award) or Carrion Comfort (Horror - won the Bram Stoker award).

Discworld

Right now I'm reading "Pyramids" by Terry Pratchett. It is one of his Discworld novels. I have his two latest ones waiting for when I finish this one.

If you have never read any of Pratchett's stuff, the closest I can get to a description is take "The Hitch-hikers Guide" series and make it a fantasy novel.

They all take place on the same planet, which is flat, sits upon the back of 4 giant elephants, which ride on the back of the giant space turtle The Great A'Tuin which swims through the cosmos.

Reminds me a bit of "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" -- ever read that? It's a classic, published in 1880. It helped me develop my interest in mathematics and logic.

Heinlein....

I'm always rereading one of his....also working through Piers Anthonys "Incarnations" series again, as well as e e doc smiths LensMan space opera. Next up is some L Ron Hubbard, and then Edgar Rice Burroughs is at bat once more! Asimov in the wings... Q

Last edited:
I read anything and everything. I am particularly fond of history, but I'll give anything I think worthwhile/interesting a look-see.

I contend that if you have not read a) Shakespeare, b) at least one great Russian novel, or c) at least one great American novel, you are uneducated. So, you'd better tend to your Hamlet, your Crime and Punishment, and your Grapes of Wrath as soon as possible!

Currently, I'm reading "I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin" by P.N.Elrod. Greatest book I ever read was "The Dark Elf Trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore, followed closely by "The Icewind Dale" trilogy also by Salvatore (what can I say? Drizzt Do'Urden is awesome!), "Lord of the Rings" (of course), and finally "The Death Gate Cycle" series by Margeret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Now, aren't you glad you asked? :p

Shock Horror!!

just finished ""The last enemy"" by Richard Hillary, apparently he claims that the second world war started some time before pearl harbour, and that the British were somehow involved in that conflict. Quite clearly a work of fiction.

My Taste

I highly reccomend anything by Stephen King, the king of horror! Nuff Said'

Wasn't as good as his first book "Brain Droppings". "Napalm and Silly Putty" has too much stuff that I have already seen him perform.

Re: Shock Horror!!

red indian said:
just finished ""The last enemy"" by Richard Hillary, apparently he claims that the second world war started some time before pearl harbour, and that the British were somehow involved in that conflict. Quite clearly a work of fiction.

Actually, World War II did in fact begin before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Some say that it started when Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939. Two days later, Britian and France declared war on Germany. Then on November 30, 1939, Russian troops invaded Finland.

However, others also say that it began on September 18, 1931, when Japan invaded Manchuria in North China. The British first became involved in the Pacific war on June 8, 1941.

I hope this answers your concerns.

The Rhythm Doctor

Well, anything Tolkien and you've got me hooked. I'm almost finished with A Clockwork Orange. I don't think I have a favorite book per se, just a lot of them that I could read over and over again and never get bored with them. And I hate to disagree with you Daumantas but I did not like Grapes of Wrath. Maybe cause I was forced to read it, but whatever the reason I didn't like it. Sorry.

Mid Atlantic nose dive

Once again my brand of satire and irony fails to make the distance over the pond! I was making a point RD about relentless attempts by American media (especially hollywood) to air brush the British out of WW2, the recent U boat film being a particularly shamefull example of the genre.

Funny indeed...

Well...I thought it was funny anyway red indian...lol. Q

Right now, I read Harry Potter's 4th volume (The Goblet of Fire). My favorite authors are James Clavell (e.g. Shogun, Taipan), Robert Ludlum (The Bourne Identity, The Road to Gandolfo), Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ephraim Kishon, and more (not necessarily in that order). One of the best books I've ever read is 'Contact' by Carl Sagan, closely followed by 'A Brief History of Time' by Stephen Hawking.

Last edited:
I'm also a big Pratchett fan. Loved "Guards Guards" ( a six foot dwarf....man!)
I've enjoyed Tolkien, Anne McCafferey's DragonRider novels and anything by Piers Anthony.

My current obsession is the ongoing "New Jedi Order" saga of the expanded Star Wars Universe.

Ayn Rand was a big influence on me as well, "Anthem" being my favorite.

Oh, and "Little Bear's Bedtime" (hey, even us psycho ticklers have a soft side y'know...now I've got to get my blankie and get some sleep...)

:D :D :cool: :cool: :D :D

You don't have to like Grapes of Wrath, but you should find at least one classic American novel and get into it. Catch-22 is a particular favorite of mine.

An Expert worthy of the name

Thanks for that Q, at least there is one omnivorous, hoofed, broad-snouted bristly mammal in front of which I do not cast my products of a bivalve mollusc in vain!!!

Currently reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, on deck is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I agree with Krokus about Stephen King's stuff,I am rarely disappointed by any of his work. My favorite book is actually a biography: Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times by Thomas Hauser.

Asimov, Heinlein, Larry Niven and Poul Anderson are the authors I keep returning to. David Weber's Honor Harrington series is worth a read - kinda like a starfaring Horatio Hornblower. So is Harry Turtledove's North American Wars alternate history series.

Not so long ago or so far away, John D. MacDonald was always reliable. So is Elmore Leonard - he has a genius for dialog.

I've done a fair amount of reading about WWI lately, and plan to reread John Keegan's book next. A new work with an interesting twist is John Mosier's "The Myth of the Great War". His take is this: The Germans evolved the strategy of going on strategic offensive, taking bits of gotta-have terrain (i.e. Fort Douaumont, or Le Mort Homme.) They then went on tactical defensive, minimized manpower in the line, and maximized firepower through the use of automatic weapons and especially artillery. The Allies then beat themselves to death attacking them. The French figured out what was being done to them after the 1917 mutiny, when it was too late. The British never did figure it out. The Americans knew from the beginning of our involvement (it's essentially the approach General Lee used throughout the Civil War) and refused to play that game. (Brief pause while I take the fire extinguisher out of the closet and put on my asbestos undershorts. OK, now I'm ready for responses from our British members.) When the USA entered the war, the Germans were well on their way to winning. Our intervention was decisive, both in physical and morale terms. Otherwise, there would likely have been a negotiated peace, on terms advantageous to Germany, by the summer of 1918.

Strelnikov

Oh, yeah, speaking of classics....

Greatest American novel (in my humble opinion): Letters From the Earth
Written by one of the greats: Samuel Langhorne Clemens a.k.a Mark Twain

Once you read it, you tend to have a different outlook on religion. It's worth it for everyone to read it at least once.

See my signature and you'll see what I'm reading.

Favorite authors: Michael Moorcock, Jack Vance, Harlan Ellison, John Brunner, Robert Anton Wilson, Orson Scott Card, Dorothy L. Sayers, and John D. MacDonald, among a long list of others.

I'm om book #4 of J.Gregory Keyes The Age Of Unreason #1 is Newton's Cannon #2 isA Calculus Of Angels #3 is Empire Of Unreason #4 is The Shadow Of God it'a sci-fi series I also love Harry Turtledove's WW2 books an alien invasion during ww2 William W.Johnstone is another great author He writes the Ashes series Action/adventure type Favorite book Animal Farm by George Orwell If you never read it I highly reccommened it It really says what pigs all politicians are No matter what political system thet represent
All animals are equal But some animals are more equal than others George Orwell

What a wide variety...

Being a mystery buff myself, I was pleased to see Hal and Shem at least mention some familiar authors...

Currently, I'm wading through Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I haven't read any of her other works, so we'll see what it's like :)

As for classics, I find most of the American writers dull. Again, like someone mentioned, maybe it's because the works were chosen for us. Of Shakespeare, Othello would have to be my pick...

Favorite all time book: The Stranger by Albert Camus (for the serious side); The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (for the lighter philosophic side)

And of the Russian works, I skipped Crime and Punishment, but The Idiot wasn't too bad. I prefer Turgenyev's Father's and Sons.

am currently reading Henry David Thoreau's Civill Disobedience and Other Essays (don't you love it when you are caught being good? lol). spend most of my time reading mind candy like King and Rice tho :)

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back