• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Computer problems. Help

Sandman

TMF Expert
Yesterday for some reason none of the programs I regularly use on my computer will open, I click on them and they don't load or open, the only ones that work are ones I never use or the ones on the task bar like ICQ and Morpheus. So I basically can't use, Netscape, Explorer, E-Mail program, mIRC, Word Perfect, the programs I use all the time. After trying a few times I got an error message saying PROGRAM MANAGER is not responding? Then it said something about the task bar...
Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it a virus?
I have re-started, shut down etc., tried everything and still the same? Everything else seems to work, I can open folders and access files no problem.

It sounds to me like you are going to have to re-install Windows. I just had to do it to a friends computer, and let me tell you, it sucked.

My brother is a computer expert, and I'll ask him if he has any other ideas.

System Debugging Tips

Make sure you haven’t run out of space on the disk or are overheating. Diagnostic programs like Symantec/Norton WinDoctor and Disk Doctor are useful, or the less powerful versions that come with Windows in the Accessories | System Tools menu.

Visit Symantec’s site or McAfee for some free virus check utilities. I lost a computer to NIMBDA last month.

Reinstalling Windows may well work, but you may have to reinstall any programs that use the registry, that is any programs that require an install program instead of just copying files.

Try booting into safe mode and see what works then. Run some diagnostics. Debugging is an art form and takes patience and ingenuity.

MB

Thanks for the advice MANINBLACK and quitman, its weird, I am now posting on my comp, things are working a bit now, still some bugs, but I do have some access back. At one time it saw resources were low so I had to end task half the programs in the task bar, but I got lots of disk space and memory left, not sure what happened, I hope it works now, I'll have to see, I'll run all those things you said to see why my resources are low and why the program manager wasn't responding to them.
Thanks again.

Computer was doing the same stuff yesterday again, couldn't get most programs to load or open, and it was freezing up in such.
Weird development yet again, since the temperature went down in the low 40's here today, and was in the high 60's the last few days, I opened my windown in my room and my room got really cold today, my window is 3 feet from my hardrive and this cool breeze cooled my hard drive, because the past 2 days it was pretty warm, and this made everything work again today??? This leads me to believe that I could have a problem with the cooling fan inside my hardrive and that the processor is getting overrheated causing my computer not to function properly? I turn my comp on when I get up each day and leave it on all day, shutting it off at bed time only, so is it possible that is was overrheating? My fan is not working? Or some combination of this?

Let me know what you think, or how to check this problem out?

Burnt Chip...

You may have overheated and damaged your chip....this type of strange behavior is typical of just that problem. I originally was going to ask if you had recently installed any new programs which might be sucking up too much available RAM and suggest you DL a Ram manager, readily available at many sites for free, but your temp issues lead me to think you may have other probs now. If the chip is damaged and needs to be replaced, I'd suggest you grab a bayfreezer of some type (5 or 6 fan) and thus prevent any chance of this happening again in the future. They're fairly affordable online (around $20). Q

another possible problem is that the drive mechanism is overheating. They don't survive such well. In this case, opening an app would exaccerbate the problem, 'cause opening apps causes the disk to be read repeatedly, a lot, hence faster overheating it, and causing either thermal recalibration or drive failures. Either will fail the read, and that, in Windows, 'causes some UGLY crashes.

If you find it does well in extreme cold, your drive mechanism is likely the culprit, though, as Q says, it *could* be chip related. Just sounds like a drive issue. Oh, I break computer-related stuff for a living, hence the knowledge of such trivia.

Like Q says, get a fan. If the problem persists ONLY when the box gets warmed up, you may just have a bad drive, that doesn't handle the warmer temps.
Do this first, and foremost:
1) Back it up soon (at least get the docs of importance off of it), and look at replacing it NOW.

If your computer supports booting from an external drive, do this:
1) get one, and boot from it
2) copy your data from your internal drive
3) power down your computer
4) disconnect the internal drive.
If you have a PC of some sort
(for Windows, DOS, Unix or Linux)
you may need to set jumpers to allow
it to boot WITHOUT the internal
drive. Read the docs.
5) Try running from your external drive for a while. If that works, it was your internal drive. Replace it, and if it's under warranty, smack 'em, hard and often.

If that didn't work, and it seizes up even with the external-only boot situation, like Q says, you have something overheating on your board. This is as specific as it gets, and you want to look at first getting a fan for the box, and then at having the manufacturer fix your box. If they won't, get a new one, learn to despise that manufacturer, warn us who they are, and buy a better-supported computer.

Macs are in the $1k range these days, new, and PCs are in the $700 range, new (Dell's new catalog). The Macs are, in my experience, more reliable, but PCs are cheaper. I prefer the quality, but can dig where cost is a bitch. Whatever does the job, y'know?

Oh, keep the external drive, 'cause you want a backup drive. Makin' copies of your data is how y'avoid bein' without said data. Hardware will eventually fail. May take years, but who wants to lose their data? If y'don't wanna keep it, or it ain't compatible wit' the computer you get as replacement, DO remember to format it fully before returning it. Wiley fellows like me always do a recovery on new machines, seein' what folk left behind. ;)

Condolensces, any way y'look at it. That ain't fun. Ain't had t'do that in an age, and I *STILL* recall how cranky it made me.

dvnc

Techie....

lol....that is WAY too much info!!:) You're gonna give him a puter headache! But...your explanation is more likely correct, so I'll just sit over here and admire the work. Given the cost of HD's these days it's kinda unbelievable that everyone doesn't slave one and dump info on the rear one for backup...I picked up an 8 gig for $20 the other day. They're getting to be nearly disposable....just fill 'em up and toss. Good tip about formatting, I always play with used ones too... Q

dvnc. I tried most of what you said and it worked. Looks fixed and it's running good now. Thanks for the time to type all that up for me. I appreciate it.

preventative...

Okay, before dvnc can come back on and be proud of himself, (I knew he was right after I read his post...damn techie!) I just want to recommmend you take this opportunity to heed the warning signs and still think about upgrading the cooling system and backup as well, so it doesn't happen in some other form in a few months! Glad it turned out okay...data and pics are a bitch to lose/replace. Q

ROFL! Q, yer killin' me!

Q's right, though. Both about preventin' me from havin' a head too big t'fit through a doorway, and about you likely benefitin' from a fan for your box. While that drive might've been destined t'fry by design flaw, coolin' your box is always good.

geekin' from the sidelines,

dvnc

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back