• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Harry Potter vs. LOFR

Harry Potter vs. LOTR

• Harry Potter

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters
Patrick Stewart as Gandalf?

A Lord of the Rings movie. FINALLY , a fantasy movie that ought to have good credibility!!! At least, I hope so.

Okay, so now where's the War of the Lance movie?

Lord of the Rings all the way. Leave Harry to the kiddies and give us a series of movies us Tolkien fans have been waiting for for over half a century. (Yeah, I know, but the Bakshi animated movies don't count.....)

I'm looking forward to both (and those of you who haven't read the Harry Potter books because they're "for kids" ought to try 'em sometime), but LotR comes first in my mind. I can only hope that it doesn't turn out the same way the movie versions of Dune have.

Lord of the Rings all the way. Leave Harry to the kiddies and give us a series of movies us Tolkien fans have been waiting for for over half a century. (Yeah, I know, but the Bakshi animated movies don't count.....)

Neither did the Rankin Bass shows, Dave2112. Still, it beat nothing. Just not by much.

Like Shem, I hope they don't do what they did to Dune. I *am* pleased that they're doing each book as a separate flick. I'm just wondering how The Two Towers will merit a whole movie. Unless the Ents are shown in real time, it may be a bit difficult. The first one is rumored to be over 3 hours. I'd be amazed if they got a full 1.5 hours outta the second book.

Waitin' patiently...

dvnc

Based on what I've seen in the trailers and heard from the actors, I think that both movies are just going to be phenominal. I can't pick one over the other.

I can see the Two Towers being a more personal film, involving the lives of the characters, kind of like Empire Strikes Back, the 2nd Star Wars film.

Yeah? I guess. It IS where Frodo ain't center the whole time, and Merry and Pippin get the fun of travellin' wit' ... Wait. Too much info. I'll hold hope, Dave. I should be worryin' more 'bout how they get all of The Fellowship of the Rings into a single film.

So long as it ain't another freakin' animated musical...

dvnc

A Dissenting View

I was Bored of the Rings long before I finished reading the series, some 30 years ago. No particular reason, just didn't suit me.

OTOH, I've listened to Books on Tape of all 4 Harry Potter books (hey, you gotta do SOMETHING during a looong commute) and thought they were pretty good. Not "The Brothers Karamazov" by any means, but well put together with good characters and decent mystery plots.

Strelnikov

does anybody know if The Hobbit will be in the first film, like just at the biginning or ...what?
I only read The Hobbit :p :p

It's going to be the Lord of the Rings trilogy only, starting with The Fellowship of the Rings, which was last rumored to be approximately 3.5 hours long. We'll know soon enough, though. It's out in a month.

dvnc

I'm looking forward to LotR much more. I've been a fan for quite some time and read the trilogy in a week. However; I must admit I'm a little scared about how it will turn out. I've looked at a lot of cast lists and have yet to find Glorfindel on any of them :yowzer:. Does anyone know who is playing the part? I certainly hope they aren't doing away with his character. Still, I'd like to see both movies

:bump:

Now that ROTK has come out and TPOA is just arriving, I thought I might jump this thread back to the top to discuss the paralells between the two.

Any words from y'all?

HP is just a wuss LOTR-ripoff

nothing can beat LOTR, LOTR is the closest to reality fantasy can ever get

Um.....I confess I never could wade through LOTR (too many odd sounding names to be sure). I read the first for HP novels in a week (after I saw the first film and wanted to see what all the hoopla was about). Took me a week to finish the 5th. I'm eagerly awaiting the remaining two books. The movies, however, I could leave behind. This third installment did nothing for me. Sure, by hollywood's standards it will make a ton and the merchandise will sell itself. But the "artistic" vision of the new director doesn't mesh with my views of the series. Sure, each book gets a little bit darker. And he captured some elements quite nicely. But the changes (and not only comparing things glaringly different from the first two movies) from the book did not enhance a thing. Perhaps it made it easier for those not familiar with the book to enjoy. I don't know. But after watching the LOTR fans get their fantastically realistic, true to the books movies, I'm jealous. And since continuity just isn't there, I wouldn't pay money to see the remaining films on the big screen. My two cents.

Mephistopheles said:
HP is just a wuss LOTR-ripoff

nothing can beat LOTR, LOTR is the closest to reality fantasy can ever get

Yeah, a total ripoff. Why, they're both fantasy. And they're British. And ... umm, I think that's about all they have in common.

HP stuff is targeting a diff. audience, fwiw.

Both suffer from HAVING to edit a lot to fit under 3 hours per book. With HP, was possible for the first two, but Prisoner was too big to fit, and had too much content that was "visually" adult. Always interesting that such stuff is okay to read, but not to show.

Then again, my kid was a bit tweaked by some of the visuals, where he tore through the books...

My $0.02,

dvnc

For those of us without munchkins who can read...define "tweaked?" Too violent/too much? Or not enough? Me, I expected the glamo CG hoopla. But where was the plot the whole first half of the movie? If I wanted vignettes, I'd go see a film at the repertory theater with subtitles... :yawn:

Still feeling just a bit peeved and disappointed...standing in line for 45 minutes on opening night will do that to the inner child :)

LOL! Sorry... Upset about specifics involving things that unnerved him. Tweaked about it. ;)

The book did that, too, fwiw.

Thanks for the explanation :)

My munchkins just meow when they want fed. My nieces and nephews are too young or I'm not around enough to know that kind of lingo. Now I'll be the hip aunt instead of my sister...

imo HP is just not violent enough. If I want to see a fantasy film I prefer it to be a sort of gore-fantasy stuff, not some weak-assed kiddo movie (yes, I am a big fan of gore/splatter and horror movies)

Wait till it gets to the fourth film then. One of Harry's mates gets murdered, standing right next to him.

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back