• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

To answer quinn and dodger's lightsaber question...

Dave2112

Level of Cherry Feather
Ok, here's the deal on lightsabers.

Obi-Wan vanished when struck down by Vader, but not because of the lightsaber. When Jedi of a certain "deepness" with the Force die, they fade into the Force itself, becoming one with it. This is why Yoda vanished on Dagobah when he died, and Vader as well. (It was only the black suit that was burned on the pyre by Luke at the end of Return of the Jedi.)

When Obi-Wan took off Pondo Baba's arm in the cantina, the creature didn't die. Even if he did, he would have simply been cut down, not being Jedi. Luke only lost his hand for a similar reason, as even though he was strong in the Force, it wasn't exactly a killing blow.

As to why Qui-Gon Jinn's body remained around for his creamation in Episode I, I've wondered that myself. After reading a few references in a few of the Star Wars books, I can only come to the conclusion that he had unanswered issues with the Force or that it was not his natural time to die, as it was with Obi-Wan, Vader and Yoda.

To answer a question that was asked me elsewhere, (if anyone even still cares at this point...:D ) Lightsabers are used almost exclusively by the Jedi because of the very nature of the weapon. The blade has no mass, therefore no (or negligible) weight. The center of gravity is in the hilt rather than about the third of the way up the blade as with a steel sword. It's kind of like swinging a flashlight. Without the Force, a user would be just as likely to lose track of the blade and remove his or her own head as to cause an opponent any damage. The Jedi use lightsabers for spiritual reasons as well. Any idiot can pull a trigger from a hundred yards away, but as I learned in Katana training, in order to stand two feet from someone, look them in the face and make the decision to take their life, you usually have a damn good reason. Plus, ever try to block a blaster bolt with another blaster bolt?

And one final trivia note on lightsabers. They are NOT "laser swords". Even with greatly improved technology, the laws of physics remain and you can't stop a beam of light cold like that. The blade is actually a highly stable and controlled plasma, held in place by a strong magnetic field and a laser inclision net. And it's not heat that makes it work, it's a process known as atom-shearing.

Now that I feel like a total Sci-Fi geek (which I'm not, by the way, I just think lightsabers are cool), I shall return to my humble hut on Dagobah.....:cool:

:confused:

actually i like sci fi too....but i never really got into star wars.well the original ones...i did watch the first remake though. still i did watch the phantom menice and look forward to the new one...

I think what drew me to Star Wars than the other Sci-Fi stuff was the focus on the people and the spirituality, rather than the gadgets and toys.

Star Wars was a take on a myth that has been told in countless ways in countless cultures that everyone can relate to. The young farm boy goes away with the old wizard and the reluctant pirate to rescue the beautiful princess from the evil dark lord.

As for Episode II, Attack of the Clones...it promises to be the best yet, delving into Anakin's dark side. The special effects are said to be utterly outstanding, and I've seen a few stills of a lightsaber duel in the rain, which ought to be cool.

Well I'll be damned. A laser inclision net. Where were you when I needed you, bro? When I think of all the holes I burned in my roof trying to build a . . . oh, never mind. Painful memories. ;)

Very cool that you know how lightsabers are built. Makes me want to head out and rent the movies. I can still remember: 11 years old, at this amazing theater in San Francisco, watching the opening scene of the earliest episode (IV, I guess) with that Star Destroyer (?) cruising past the screen. It really was the beginning of an era...

Pax,
quinn

i know they are making an episode 2 and 3,but is it true there will be no 7,8,9??

Yes, it's true. The origianl idea Lucas had was said to have been in nine episodes, but as the story progressed a lot was combined into the original trilogy.

So, sad to say, only six will be done. Although I'd love to see the New JedI Order books made into films....

Actually, that's another reason only Jedi use lightsabers. The focusing crystals must be cut by hand, as each is tune to the Force in a different way. It's a bad cut that causes the overflow of plasma into the extrusion funnel and causes a fusion breach.

BOOM!

Dave2112 said:
I think what drew me to Star Wars than the other Sci-Fi stuff was the focus on the people and the spirituality, rather than the gadgets and toys.

Star Wars was a take on a myth that has been told in countless ways in countless cultures that everyone can relate to. The young farm boy goes away with the old wizard and the reluctant pirate to rescue the beautiful princess from the evil dark lord.
Yup, corny and odd as it sounds, this is the appeal to me, too. People look at me oddly when I mention the spirituality that lies in Star Wars films, but as Dave mentioned, these stories are not new to Lucas. They exist is every culture, just stories handed down by the eldars from generation to generation. It's just that the names and deeds change from culture to culture.

As for the disappearance thing, I've never been sure on that myself. Lucas promises that all will be explained in the second one, but we'll see.

My theory is similar to Dave's. I've always thought that it was a function of the jedi's acceptance of death when it arrived. Obi-Wan and Yoda both accepted their fates, and even went into it willingly. Qui-Gon was struck down in battle, and had no intention of dying. Likewise, even though Anakin eventually performed the supreme sacrifice for his son and betrayed his master, he was not accepting of death when it came for him.

That's really the only pattern I see so far, among the four. But who knows the real reason. The good news we'll find out in just six short months :cool:

If you remeber around 1977 and read alot about Star Wars like I did, there were originally going to be 12 Star Wars stories! Was never sure when 9 became the "official" number.....

too bad there won`t bea 7,8,9.....i wanted to see if luke would turn to the darkside(which i think he would have)

i like when luke is being trained by YODA and has to gethis ship out of the water and says "i`ll try" and YODA snaps "NO,can or cannot...there is no try"

correct me if i have misqoted..... i love that little exchange,it`s so true

"No. Try not. Do, or Do not...there is no try"

It used to be my signature, and is still kind of a motto.

What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back