• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

AOL 7.0 and Windows XP

TicklingDuo

3rd Level Yellow Feather
I thought I'd clue everyone in about this one. When we went to order our new computer (wich comes with Windows XP), we were informed that it would have AOL 6.0, rather than the new 7.0 version on it. This is because the 7.0 version is incompatable and causes WindowsXP to crash. So, if you have one or the other...DON'T mix the two.

Ann

AOL?

Okay...let's talk about AOL...Arrgh...the greatest marketing scam ever pulled off on the American public. Please...get broadband....if you're paying 20+ for AOL, you're nearly at broadband prices, especially if you went to the expense of getting a second line, etc. Please convert...you'll thank me soon after. Q

I agree with you 100%, Q.

If memory serves, AOL is up to 21-23 bucks a month now for (what used to be, hard to tell anymore) substandard isp service. I'm paying $40/month for my isp services, which includes the lease for the cable modem. I'm lucky in that I live in a rural area, with very few subscribers, so my service is very fast. Those that live in urban centers may or may not be able to extol the virtues of cable modems.

But more to the point, if you're paying an additional $10-20 dollars a month in an additional phone line, please do yourself a service and look into cable modems or DSL. It's a whole different world with these little goodies :) And it really doesn't cost much more per month.

hmmmm..

Can you guys be a bit more speific? What features do/don't you like? I know AOL has some drawbacks and is generally a bit more expensive. But, we have yet to find anything here that we like better.

I started out on AOL, but have tried several other services as well...since I had free trials for them. When I moved to CT, I tried out the local cable ISP and it stunk. It was impossible to navigate things. It didn't have half the features. It had fewer screen names. I hated it! Drew had used nothing but the cable and was surprised at how much better the AOL was...and not that much slower. So, we dropped the cable, kept the AOL and here we are.

Ann

DSL and cable vs dial up

Admittedly, different areas have variation, but its difficult to believe there could be anything even close to relatively comparable speeds. On Long Island, cable is approximately 50-100 times the stream of a dial up, and DSL is perhaps 10-20 times greater. To compare, let's talk about a relatively common program, Napster. To download a 4 minute song with dial up, it might take 25-35 minutes, if you have a decent phone connection, 40,000 +....with my cable the song will take anywhere from 25 seconds to 2 minutes, usually dependent on the limitations of the server, not my end. Pages that have a great deal of animation load up nearly instantly anyway, and playing video games is no longer a frustrating experience. You can keep AOL IM and I think almost all of the other features you like nowdays even with cable or DSL anyway...they're downloadable and available for free. AOL also has its own formats that don't support other companies common programs and pic setups also...overall they don't have anything "special" to offer other than removing your money from your pocket quicker, and disconnecting you more often than is believable, and throwing those annoying "updates" in every other day to tie up your computer...lol. I know a lot of people have a "comfort" level, and if that is the case, so be it...but the world of broadband improves every week...hope you take another swing at it! Q

hmmm....

something to think about, at least. Maybe we'll have to take another look. Thanks for the info., Q

Ann

AOHell used to be my isp. I have moved to dsl. I made a good move.

I would suggest dsl over cable because of the network. SIMPLIFIED: With dsl your bandwidth is your own, and you are only limited to the bottlenecks of major metros. With cable, you're running shared resources with a network hub in your neighborhood so at 3am it's fast as hell, but at 6:30pm it crawls.

Steve

Yes...and no...

Not necessarily Unclestevel...it depends on how clever and up to date your cable provider is and/or will be. The service here noted its deficiences and addressed them by adding a LOT of nodes and physically upgrading their wire....expensive, but wow! The stream here is always more than sufficient, and at times is incredibly good. I've done Aimster transfers with locals at 150+kb/ps that hadn't peaked...we just didn't have files large enough to test the systems limits. DSL on the other hand is okay, but can't even approach those numbers even at offpeak hours. As I said, depends on your location and company. Ask around...I'm sure your local video game guy knows exactly how good every service around can be. I know nothing about satellite service for instance, because it's about 100 a month out here, and no one in their right mind gets it. NOT to have cable in our area is a crime though...especially since they're diligent about running specials that GIVE you the modem and ethernet card for free when you buy a years service. Go forth and seek broadband! ;) Q

Is DSL good?

Is DSL good? I know several people who have switched and have had nothing but problems. I was thinking of getting it since it is supposed to be much faster than any dial-up service.

Ask....

and ye shall receive... Depends on your location kurch...ask around as I said above. The local computer shop might know, but I'd BET on any video game guy to be able to rattle off the #'s of the various services in your area, as well as why you should only buy a Radeon card and have a flat screen 19" monitor and hey how about that Black & White game and..(at this point you should be coughing and retreating with a wave of your hand...) Q

Re: Yes...and no...

qjakal said:
I've done Aimster transfers with locals at 150+kb/ps that hadn't peaked...we just didn't have files large enough to test the systems limits. DSL on the other hand is okay, but can't even approach those numbers even at offpeak hours

I do a lot of downloads on my DSL line, and unless the site has a bad connection I always get at least 150 (usually about 160). Maybe I have a better service than the one you are familiar with.

Definitely

Yup...DSL in this area is weak, but as I keep stating, it varies tremendously throughout the country/continent... Q

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back