• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Art programs

Alan

Was wondering what the favorite art programs are out there that the artists have been satisfied with? I`ve used paintshop pro 7 before, but was wondering what other programs all of you use/like.

Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

Paint Shop Pro is very good thought hey were better when they were still JASC (the current version is 10 I think)

Photshop is excellent (current version is CS2) but is very pricey and needs activation.

Ulead Photoimpact is ok as well its current version is 11

CorelDraw is ok its current version is X3 but it is a bit procey as well.

The Gimp is a freeware package that works well and its free too. :D

For more web oriented graphics there is fireworks from Macromedia but its a bit pricey as well.

Hope this helps :D

Good topic. :)

When I'm not drawing in the traditional mediums (that is paper, pencils, markers, etc.) I use painter 9 for all of my digital needs.

Painter 9 is also the perfect companion to a wacom intuos 3 tablet (which I also have). Using these two items together can produce awesome results and make the whole process feel like its natural and being done traditionally.

I have a tip for you, though. :)

If you see yourself doing more graphical things (webdesign, etc.), then I'd suggest the more diverse photoshop program. If you're specializing in art, like me, then painter is the superior program and, in my experience, works better with a tablet for this purpose.

Last edited:
kurchatovium said:
I heard Painter 9 crashes a lot on Windows Xp. Is this true?

I have Windows XP on both my desktop and laptop and have never encountered this problem (or any problem). So, I'd have to say that its not true and its not a complaint I've ever heard of before.

The people that have had problems probably had them for a completely different reason. Like a corrupted file or something and not an incompatibility with the system and the program themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks Celtic. :D A lot of complaints that get lodged are often cause people do not install the software properly. I have used Painter 8 for a long time without problem. Was just wondering if Painter 9 is worth the upgrade?

kurchatovium said:
Thanks Celtic. :D A lot of complaints that get lodged are often cause people do not install the software properly. I have used Painter 8 for a long time without problem. Was just wondering if Painter 9 is worth the upgrade?

You're welcome. :)

Yes, what you're saying and I am saying is true. Sometimes all that needs to be done is a reinstall. If that doesn't work then its possible the installation disk is defective and doesn't install the files correctly.

People should keep their receipts for this reason, or even consider an extended warranty for major purchases.

As for whether Painter 9 is worth the upgrade, I can't give a complete answer for that, as I've never used anything below Painter 9 except Paintshop Pro 7 (same company, different program). I have several art friends who have used Painter 8, and from what they tell me its not much different.

From what I know in using it, and what they have told me in having used earlier versions, Painter 9 is more efficient, its more refined, it has several new utilities and tools (some of which are really cool), it has a better reaction time and less slowdown (especially with tablet devices and other peripherals), and other enchancements which make using it more effective than previous versions.

Its both more of the same but better and enchanced with extras.

I know some artists that get by just fine with even Painter 7 (and in a retro kind of way prefer it) and you can't tell the difference. Though, this has more to do with their talent, experience, and ability to use the program to it's upmost efficiency.

So to really answer your question, I would have to say its more worth the upgrade if you take your art/work seriously and are experienced/talented enough to make full use of the program, will be using the extra features, and plan on using the program on a regular basis as your program of choice. If it's just something you 'tweak', 'polish' or edit things up in, then its not worth it.

Its far more suited as a primary choice than a secondary one, as you're not taking advantage of what it has to offer otherwise.

You can always download a free trial version from Corel or some place else and see for yourself if it's worth it. :)

An art friend of mine gave me this link (sorry for only sharing it now, I forgot about it) :

http://www.coolgraphicstuff.com/store/index.php

If any of your digital art tools breakdown or need replacements of something, you can get them here without it costing you an arm and a leg. :)

Last edited:
What's New

4/15/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button under it to the lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back