• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

New Features: Visitor Messages, User Albums and Profile Customization

His Divine Shadow

Administrator
Three new features have been activated today! They were included with vBulletin 3.7, which we started using a good while back, but we wanted to wait and see before we turned these on (read: we totally forgot about them). Visitor Messaging, User Profile Customization and User Albums are the three newly active features. Confused? Read on! I will detail each feature in a separate reply to enhance readability, eh? Click whichever of the following you want to learn more about or just scroll down through:

Visitor Messaging
User Albums
User Profile Customization
Turning Off New Features

Last edited:
Visitor Messaging

Take a look at someone's profile; anyone will do. Let's try HDS first. What is this nonsense about "Visitor Messages"? There's a brand-new tab before "About Me" now.

(click to enlarge)

You can now leave messages on someone's profile! They are a cross between PMs and regular forum postings. Anyone can see them but they only appear on a specific persons profile. Those of you familiar with social networking sites such as Myspace, Bebo or Facebook will find these similar to comments left on user profiles at those sites. Because these are public you should not put any personal information in them, obviously.

How can you leave one of these? I imagine that's the next question. If you examine the above screencap again, you'll see a box that looks like a post reply box near the bottom of the page.

(click to enlarge)

Enter your message in it like you would a normal message. If you click the "Go Advanced" button underneath it you'll be taken to a regular post input screen. Almost all regular vB code (like font and color code) works here. Take a look at the below screenshot; you'll see that regular formatting can be used and that images can be posted in visitor messages. Note that attachments are NOT permitted.

(click to enlarge)

Just like any other kind of post, if you see a visitor message that violates the TMF Rules please report it using the convenient link in each message:

(click to enlarge)

If you don't want visitor messages just head to the Edit Options page in your User CP and look down to the "Messaging & Notification". You can turn them off entirely or limit them to Contacts (Buddy List) and Staff.

(click to enlarge)

What happens if you get a visitor message? How do you know? Just like a private message you will get a little notice up by your username in the upper left.

(click to enlarge)

If you click on it you'll see a new option is there:

(click to enlarge)

While I am already there, clicking the link that says I have a visitor message will take you to your User CP where you'll see the list of new visitor messages.

(click to enlarge)

If you click the visitor message alert here you'll see it in your profile:

(click to enlarge)

How did I get all those funky colors, you ask? Read on to the Profile Customization section two posts down!

Last edited:
User Albums

The second of the three new things are User Albums. With these you can create little photo albums to that are linked in your profile! Let's go back to my profile to see where they are located:

(click to enlarge)

See the box at the right? There's one album there right now; let's click it!

(click to enlarge)

Look at that! Those of you who were at the TickleTheater five billion years ago will recognize one of these as my avatar. If you select the "Edit Album" link in the upper right you'll be able to edit the album details after creation:

(click to enlarge)

Let's go back to the album and click on the leftmost image to see what viewing an image looks like:

(click to enlarge)

A-mazing. But if we scroll down ...

(click to enlarge)

We can comment on images! And, just like visitor messages, these are public. Note both the comment and image report links. Use them wisely.

Now, how do you manage your album? Let's head to your User CP and check it out ...

(click to enlarge)

See the "Pictures and Albums" link noted? Click it! For me we see one existing album:

(click to enlarge)

From here let us select the "Add Album" option:

(click to enlarge)

We are now taken to this page. Note how I set this album to be a "Profile" type; this is important later (see next post).

(click to enlarge)

Once we click "Save Changes" we're brought here:

(click to enlarge)

Click one of the two links I highlighted (the middle one disappears once pictures are there) to upload your first image!

(click to enlarge)

Use the browse boxes just like normal upload boxes for posts. Note that there are special limits as to pictures per album and the size of pictures. There is also a max overall limit to album pictures. Now, say we uploaded and image ...

(click to enlarge)

We have to give our image information, eh? Do that, click "Save Changes", and voila!

(click to enlarge)

Now that you know about Albums, let's go to the final element, Profile Customization ...

Last edited:
Profile Customization

A scary thought, this: you can now change the style of your profile! There are, of course, limitations: you can change colors, fonts and background images but you CANNOT add any HTML code. So you can't have everything but what does exist is quite powerful.

How do we access this? Well, back to the good 'ole User CP:

(click to enlarge)

Clicking that link takes us to this page:

(click to enlarge)

Whoa! That's a lot of options! I won't begin to explain them all; play around and see what changes when you alter something! If you aren't sure ask about a specific one, eh? Let's try changing the Text Color in the "Main" area. If we click on the little box with dashes to the left of the input area we get a color chooser! If you are familiar with hexadecimal colors go ahead and enter a hex value in the input area.

(click to enlarge)

Clicking a color here will choose it for you!

(click to enlarge)

Now, let's choose a background image. Background images can ONLY come from User Albums set to be of type "Profile" (Remember that from earlier?). Click the little image icon next to the input area to be given a choice of images in your Profile Albums. I see that I have one image:

(click to enlarge)

Click it to select it:

(click to enlarge)

I next went through and randomly changed everything.

(click to enlarge)

If we now click the "Preview" button below any one section we can preview those changes. Click "Save" below any one section to save that section.

(click to enlarge)

If we scroll to the bottom there is an overall preview and an option to save all, reset all, and clear all.

(click to enlarge)

Now ... what does my profile look like?

(click to enlarge)

Egads! Look at what I have done! Not too bad for random choices. :D Play around with it; see what you can come up with!

Last edited:
Turning Off Features
Bothered by one of these new things? You can turn them off! User Albums you can't turn off but, of course, you can choose not to use them.

Turning off Visitor Messages
To turn off Visitor Messages head to the Edit Options page in your User CP and look down to the "Messaging & Notification" area. You can turn them off entirely or limit them to Contacts (Buddy List) and Staff.

(click to enlarge)

This will not turn them off on others' profiles; it will turn them off on your own.

Disabling Profile Customization
If you want to turn off the profile customization on someone's profile you can do this. It must be done on a profile-by-profile basis, however; you cannot turn it off for everyone at once. Let us take BrightEyes1082 as an example. Notice the link the arrow is pointing two in this picture:

(click to enlarge)

See the link? "Hide User Customizations"? Click it.

(click to enlarge)

Voila! Customizations gone. What if you want to go back? Just click the new link there, "Show User Customizations".

(click to enlarge)

These links only appear if the person has actually modified their profile.

Play around with the new features; let us know what you think of them! If you have any troubles feel free to ask in this thread; you can also start a thread in Technical Support.

Last edited:
And cross-posting because I can. :D Really, though, because I want everyone to see these things; new features are fun!

Giving credit where it's due, it was CrystalLight who encouraged us to bring these features out.

Ahhh.........just another thing she can hold over his head.

Good for her!

More cool stuff to play with......will take a bit for us old folks to learn but it is really neat stuff..

I'm getting stalked now.... Can we disable that visitor thingy???

I'm getting stalked now.... Can we disable that visitor thingy???

Yes, go into the user CP, then on the left side click "edit options"

scroll down until you see Visitor Messaging and uncheck the box that said Enable Visitor Messaging.

I will also contact the person who was doing that.

If anyone else gets harassed, you can report it to a moderator rather than have to disable messaging if you want to keep that option open.

Thanks, Jeff! I just did it so contacts/ moderators can contact me!

ok got a question... can you put in any picture.. kinda like a family photo album.

Hey, cool! Good idea, everybody. I'll have to try this out me-self. :)

So, its seems we move closer to "MY-TMF-Space".

I await with baited breath for the next revolution!

mad%20mexicns.jpg

Rob

The problem with profiles should have been corrected. Please alert myself if it is not working for you.

Psst...

DSL, I want you to know that Jeff was not "resting his eyes"
while you worked your little tail off. He was zonked out! With
weens!! O.O

Yay JJ for the epic idea. Yay DSL for pulling it off. You guys
PWN. :) :redheart:

:punt:s DSL

So, its seems we move closer to "MY-TMF-Space".

I await with baited breath for the next revolution!

mad%20mexicns.jpg

Rob

Actually it is no biggie rob as when you view someone's profile you can click the "hide user modifications" link and never have to view the changes...

This allows those that like the old way to view that way AND those that want to customize and view customizations to be able to do so...

'tis the best of both worlds.....

everyone can have fun with it that wants to....

HDS, I wanted to say thank you for all the hard work you did on this for all of us and give you big time HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs.. wish it could be a real hug but know it comes from my heart...:cuddle:

HUGSSSSSSS/Lisa

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back