• >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Karma!

LD_Tickler

4th Level Yellow Feather
Ok I don't know if I'd actually even want this, but just I found myself missing the feature so I thought I'd mention it.

Have we considered a karma system, where we can give positive or negative points to posts anonymously? Or maybe even not anonymously? To let somebody know "yeah, I agree with that!" without having to post and write it?

That might even clean out some of the clutter in a lot of threads, come to think of it... if all you really have to say is an echo or acknowledgement, give a "thumbs up" instead of posting!

We considered a Karma system, but every forum I have been on, that used such ended up with issues. A group would use the feature to vanish people they didn't like. And then use the feature to also vanish anyone that spoke out against such actions.

Or people would just rate people down for grins.

Its an idea that looks great in theory, but like communism, when put into real practice, it produces an ugly result.

Myriads

I've only seen a system like that work once, but then it was implemented a little differently. In most cases people will just vote each other down without any apparent reason other than pure spite, just like Myriads already said.

But in the one instance where it DID work (I'll mention it just to throw it out as an idea), it wasn't called "karma", but rather "reputation". Basically, this was on a hobby forum, and if someone posted a piece of text or advice that you found yourself benefiting from you could choose to "like" that post, thus adding to the user's reputation. You couldn't give negative reputation, only positive, and the higher reputation you had yourself, the higher an impact your own decision to "like" someones post would in terms of points awarded.

In the end, I think it worked out well. The system was impossible to abuse, and if you searched through the posting history of the people with high reputation you would indeed find a lot of helpful posts, so it almost ended up as an additional search tool that way. Now, with all that said, I don't think a reputation/karma system on this forum would serve any other purpose than simply being cool. But then again, maybe it would encourage people to put some more thought into their posts, I don't know. :shrug:

It works well on reddit...I really would love if we had something like this. A "like" or "dislike" feature. Maybe you could restrict it to certain subforums like G.D and T.K? Or just do a trial run and see how it works.

In the year since this has been brought up, I have kept my eye on specialty forms that have tried it.

I have seen the following.

A new member being voted into invisibility because he made the error of saying 'hi' in the wrong place.

A vigilante group deciding who belonged and didn't on 'their' forum, and succeeding in killing the forum by voting everyone else off the island.

Members bullied into leaving because every thing they posted was 'disliked' en-mass by the power clique.

A producer of media specific to the forum being vanished by his competition because they were threatened by the new product.

I don't see an upside to these tools being given to a membership. The good intentions that they can offer are horribly weighed down by the damage, casual hate, and negative experiences they can dish out.

You might notice that the member picture forum is locked. There is a reason for that. When we first created it people could comment on the users images. It did not go well. People like to be hurtful when they know there is no issues coming back at them. We are too big, and have way too many people to rely on community pressure for the tolls to be used well.

So sorry, this one is not going to happen while I'm Admin.

Myriads

What's New

3/19/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums to see wjo ios meeting up when!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back