• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favorite non-fiction books

I loved Beyond the Band of Brothers by Maj. Dick Winters

God's delusion by Richard Dawkins I guess, but I prefer to read fiction books.

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. Hands down the best single volume historical book on the US Civil War, IMO.

I very much enjoyed John McEnroe's autobiography.

Ben Macintyre's Agent Zig-Zag is another.

i could list countless books on cars,music and ales, but their credibility really stems from my own interest in these things rather than their credibility as a work of non-fiction.

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Excellent book!

Thanks for the recommendation/reminder to read this book-- it has been on my 'must read' list for quite some time, but I've been distracted. I'll definitely read it shortly.

The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film by Michael Ondaatje (Changed the way I watch movies forever. Definitely interesting enough to not just be for film students)

History major here so some of my favorite history related books would have to be:

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

Baghdad Yesterday: The Making of an Arab Jew by Sasson Somekh

Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women who Made America Modern by Joshua Zeitz

Populuxe by Thomas Hine (1950's cultural history book)

Liberty's Exiles: American Loyalists in the Revolutionary World by Maya Jassinoff

The Other Enlightenment: How French Women Became Modern by Carla Hesse

Just one? Impossible. Some of my favourites:

The Ancestor's Tale (Richard Dawkins)
My European Family: The First 44,000 Years (Karin Bojs)
Through the Shadowlands (Julie Rehmeyer)
If This is a Man (Primo Levi)
How Not to Be Wrong (Jordan Ellenberg)
Quiet (Susan Cain)

The Man Who Thought His Wife Was a Hat - which is a collection of stories of rare neurological disorders. The titular story is a man whose brain would make bizarre associations, and in that case he was leaving the doctor's office and looked at his wife, and his brain went "My wife>my wife's head>hats go on heads>that must be a hat" and he literally tried to grab his wife's head with the intention of wearing it.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman - Richard Feynman was a theoretical physicist and one of the great scientific minds of his generation, but he was also very witty and a great storyteller. His autobiography is a really easy and interesting read.

Madam Secretary - The autobiography of Madeleine Albright, who was the first female Secretary of State.

Jack Welch and the G.E. Way - a great business book.

Opening The Xbox - the story of how Microsoft decided to build their gaming console. At the time, there was a big internal debate about whether to focus their available resources on video games, or WEBTV (which was a device for accessing the Internet through your TV, back in the days of dial-up.)

The Weather Channel - The story of how they conceived and implemented a national weather channel on TV. It's a dry topic, but it's full of stories about making complicated deals and negotiations to get information flowing from state to state, back before there was an Internet to speak of.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back