• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What Is Powershell? (Computer question )

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Computer question.

Out of nowhere,.,.. my computer shut down about an hour ago while I was on a jobs website.

It went through a couple of restarts, but doesn't seem to be working properly, and keeps freezing, shutting down, and giving me a message about power shell not working.

It's been blocking viruses, but, when I do a virus scan to try and clear the virus.. the same thing keeps happening. The computer says the viruses are clear.. I restart the computer, and then the viruses appear to come back, and I get the message about Avast blocking the viruses.

I'm not really concerned with the computer blocking the viruses as long as I can use it, but.. the computer freezing, shutting down, and the powershell messages are preventing me from using it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm afraid Jericho might be right about me needing a new computer.

Unexpectedly, out of nowhere, my computer has suddenly crashed/shutdown three times tonight, before instructing me to take steps to restart it.

I may inquire how much a tech costs to fix it, but, as its four years old, if its a lot of money, I may just investigate a new or pre used computer.

As a last resort before wiping the HDD and reinstalling the OS, I've used a very powerful free program called Combofix (Google it) to fix persistent virus/malware/etc problems. You want to read and understand the instructions carefully if you decide to use it, as it's tricky to use properly... But you might give it a shot before buying a whole new computer. (If you have a tech savvy friend who can stop by, it would be best to get them to assist if at all possible.)

If the computer is shutting down on you all together and you are unable to use it I'd look into seeing how much a tech would charge to clean out the system and if its just less when what a new computer may cost I'd consider buying a new computer.

Thanks, asu. I have no tech savvy people unfortunately.

Thanks Angel.

I got through my newscast from Philadelphia online last night at 11 with no problems, using evil old IE lol.

I can tell something's not right, and the battery keeps flashing like its low.

I am considering a new computer. It just seems, unfortunate, when this computer is only since August 2011. My other desktop lasted me nine years with only one problem.

This computer was about.. $600-700 in 2011. I don't know what a new one would cost now.

Can you try to restore it to a day when it was working alright? I've gotten myself out of serious messes using the restore point thing. Just roll the whole thing back in time and see what happens, you might lose a few things but it might fix the computer.

I did System Restore, but I don't know if it will fix the problem.

I did the System Restore, it went through the applications, and rebooted the system. The only problem is this.

When the computer rebooted, it said that System Restore was completed successfully, and was restored to 530am this morning, 3-21-2015.

The only problem with that is..

The malware blocking messages came long before today. and also.

The computer shutdowns started happening last night..

So there's no way of knowing if doing this fixed the problem or not.

Is there a way to.. set it to a date in the past, say, sometime earlier this week, before I started having the problems with the computer just shutting down?

Thanks.

There should be other restore points available when you run System Restore - a calendar should pop up showing what these are. I've had mixed luck with Restore myself.

If the battery light is flashing I am wondering if the Powershell program has something to do with the battery. Perhaps its not any malware but a problem with the battery power supply itself. You should be able to check on the power status of the laptop and it should let you know if there are any problems. Just a thought. :)

Thanks, kurch.

Thanks, rdhd.

kurch, the reason I'm thinking it could be malware is that I keep getting the message. "Avast has blocked a harmful webpage, url/mal. Then it says something like Windows syswow64.

I could try uninstalling, and reinstalling Windows, but, I tried that once, and it didn't work.

So far the computer isn't shutting down, but, I'm rolling the dice by using it this way.. Oh, and more bad news. I'm using evil IE, because, on Chrome, it seems to be shutting down even more than on IE. On IE I'm just getting the malware block message.

One other relevant question, if I may.

The other night, I had downloaded Java, so I could visit the chatroom, which I hadn't in a long time.

Whatever applications I did today, must have cancelled out/uninstalled Java, so I cant get into the chat, and I keep getting Java download messages.

I know that Java can harm one's computer. In fact, when you do the download, it always says, "This file can harm your computer",.

I guess my question is, if I do another Java update/download, so I can get into the chat room, am I inviting my whole computer to crash, and should I just leave it alone considering the condition of my computer?

Was just wondering.

I take my computer in where I bought it and the charge a nominal fee to clean it up.

The thing is,.. I didn't buy this computer here. I bought it when I was still living in Lancaster. I don't know where there's a computer store around here.

I'll have to check into that.

Thanks.

Have you searched Craigslist? That's a really popular item on there. Depending on the issue and how far gone it is, there are a lot of experts who will come to your job/apartment to fix your computer, without you having to take it to a store.

No,I haven't done that yet. Havent checked this thread in a week, so this is the first I see your post.

Thanks, JJB.

What's New

4/17/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you updated on where and wehn people are planning to meet up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back