• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Reality TV- what's the attraction

Barbershopman

TMF Master
I watch the reality shows on the Food Chanel, Cutthroat Kitchen, Beat Bobby Flay, etc. I' m talking specifically about two shows I was talking to a co-worker about yesterday: Keeping up with the Kardashians and Here Comes Honey BooBoo.

This is a rant thread, so, OK, let's get it out there right now, I don't (won't) watch either of these shows.

In my opinion the IQ of America went up 50 points when they cancelled Here Comes Honey BooBoo. To have that show on The Learning Channel, I mean WTF?! What are we learning, that the more obnoxious/infantile you and your family can act, that the cameras will follow you and make you a star?

Same with the Kardashians, yes when Robert was alive, the family was respectable. When he died, Kris and the family said to one antoher, how can we keep ourselves in the spotlight? Let's take our dysfunctional family and have the cameras follow us around 24/7.

So, for those of you that watch these shows, what's the attraction, is it comedy- how stupid can they act, is it pity- oh look how sad, or is it I'm glad my family is not like that.

Barbershopman

Honey boo boo was pure comedy and i loved whenever they went out, how all the uptight people would look all shocked n shit haha

I don't watch a lot of tv these days, but when I do, I want to be entertained, I want escapist fantasy, not bleedin real life!

As an aside I have a pal who watches total divas on E, which I've caught a couple of times, which is pretty harmless I guess ;)

What's the attraction? None for most of the reality shows, so I don't watch them. :D

Honey boo boo was pure comedy and i loved whenever they went out, how all the uptight people would look all shocked n shit haha

I love yelling "Honey Boo BOO" in a redneck voice...and talking about "Go GO Juice." Its epic.

I think the biggest attraction with reality shows is the commercials.

Whilst I'm not against the Reality genre per se, I do have a problem with the 'my life as a celebrity'-type shows as mentioned here. In a way it's kinda perverse that they are even considered 'reality' shows. In the first place, one could argue that they're not situated in the real world at all (can the synthetic, alternative universe of Celebrity be considered 'real'?). In the second place, a lot of the scenes in these sorts of shows (as I understand it) are staged for the cameras anyway! Reality TV indeed! :flatstare:

I think a lot of people love soap operas, and a lot of people love celebrity gossip, and these shows (not necessarily the ones mentioned in this thread: I'm speaking generically here) seem to be a perfect blend of the two. Perhaps that would go some way to explaining their popularity.

Also:

I watch the reality shows on the Food Chanel, Cutthroat Kitchen, Beat Bobby Flay, etc

Are these culinary shows really as violent as their names suggest? Cos if so, I'd probably watch em. lol

Exactly..Van!!! I was thinking along the same lines. They must have really "scraped the bottom of the barrel" to find most of the "script writers" for these shows!!! Outside of a few "Celebrities" (if you want to call them that)..I also think that they use "struggling actors"..in most of the "roles". (just a theory) And if some folks think they are truly "Reality" or that they are not "scripted".....well......I'll just leave it at that.

The only enjoyment I find in them..is when shows like "Family Guy" or "South Park"..parody them..and make them look even more ridiculous!!! Not to mention when "Tosh .O" or "The Soup"..does the same!!!

That's my 2 cents!!!

Cost effectiveness aside, it appeals to a very base, sophomoric instinct to mock others troubles, while erroneously giving one a false sense of superiority or validation. "...lookit doze assholes... geez...guess i'm not such an asshole after all..."

Its the same loathsome mechanics as the classic Freak or Side Show.

What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back