• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Is Rock'n Roll non existent in NYC?

magic fingers

3rd Level Yellow Feather
I might have my first chance to spend July 4th in the Big Apple, but I must say I'm very disappointed in the parties/cookouts in NYC. Mainly I'm disappointed in the "music" options on one of the biggest party weekends of the year.

There are several rooftop bars in New York that look like a great place to spend the 4th. Great food, nice decor, great view of the fireworks, but at each party the music is either techno, hip hop, or jazz, none of which I can stand.

Now part of the problem is Beekman's Beer Garden is closed for repairs to the pier. But whatever happened to good old fashioned Rock'n Roll, or Blues? You'd think you'd be able to find at least one decent rock band, even a cover band performing at a July 4th festival in NYC.

Can any NYers help me out? I'd love to spend the holiday in your beautiful city, but I'm not going to subject myself to crap music for 5-6 hours.

When I visited Manhattan, I couldn't find any rock stations on the radio. So I'm wondering this myself. Where I'm from, Richmond, we have lots of rock stations. Both classic rock and more recent rock. As I understand, underground punk rock bands also like this place.

But let me get back on track here. Even in today's "rock" on the radio, I wonder if it really is rock. So many of these songs don't have a single guitar.

""Hey hey, my my Rock and roll can never...""

Never say never.

I recall reading a science fiction story many years ago, perhaps in about 1980, which was set in the year 2020. In that story, it was mentioned that the strange music that one heard only in nursing homes was once quite popular. When a scene set in a nursing home came up, the music playing was "Yesterday" by The Beatles. :rowfull:
Perhaps that prediction was on target after all, at least in NYC.

They exist for sure, there are some that emphasize jazz, pop rock, etc. Its a little more prevalent in the village but I am sure there are other locations as well in midtown or upper manhattan that have these.

Rock isn't dead. You just have to look a lot harder to find it. :rockon:

Don't know where to start..regarding today's "pop/rock"?? Call it what you want.."techno".."club"..whatever. Just remember (if one is old enough) "disco" died..'80's "techno" died..just as I think today's "crap"..will also die!!! Won't say anything about "rap/hip hop"..because it has endured more than 30 years..now.

But if you want to enjoy "true classic rock"..then do a little searching of your favorite bands (boy bands ARE NOT "bands")..and see where some of them may be performing. Granted..it may not be the "5-6 hours" you're looking for..but at least they can still ROCK..for a couple of hours!!! Last year I saw Blue Oyster Cult..Foreigner..Styx..Don Felder (of the Eagles)..and Deep Purple!!! And all of them were at "small" venues (between 1000 and 5000 seating capacities). Reasonable prices..and "intimate" crowds. And talk about "professionals"!!! After all..they've been doing it for 40+ years!!! Just a couple weeks ago..I saw Cheap Trick and Peter Frampton at our County Fair. Another GREAT SHOW..and they sounded just as good (if not better) than they did 35-40 years ago!!! And looking forward to seeing Rush..at the end of July!!!

Anyway..I rambled enough. Good luck with your search in NYC. Hope you find something "worth enjoying"!!!

I think it is FM 104.5 that is the classic rock station in NYC.

Brooklyn is really the center of the indie rock scene in NY.

I've been to far too many good rock shows in NYC and Brooklyn, and other places for that matter to believe Rock-n-Roll is dead

What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back