• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Solar power

maniactickler

Verified
Does anyone have it? im thinking of getting it. just wondering what the pros and cons are. any advice would be appreciated. :typerhappy:

Are you doing it for cost? From what I've read, it's hard to make solar power cheaper than just buying electricity off the grid.

Or are you doing it to be more green, in which case sure, why not?

Well he said the monthly payments would be a lot cheaper, and theres no upfront cost. im not a big green guy, except for the green in my wallet. :woot:

Well he said the monthly payments would be a lot cheaper, and theres no upfront cost. im not a big green guy, except for the green in my wallet. :woot:

I'd check the numbers pretty carefully, because the consensus seems to be that it's not cheaper. Maybe you're in an area where for some reason it is, though. It seems to depend on how much electricity costs in your area, of course, and how much sunlight you get year-round.

I definitely would not take anything the guy trying to sell it to you says for granted, though.

Ill check it out. the salesman came to my house on a rainy day, asked me how I was doing. I said wet. he said that's how I like my women. sounds like a real classy guy. I could have had women or children in the house. :facepalm:

In that case you might want to check into the company a bit more. Solar is a big buzz word nowadays, which will always bring some shysters (not to say they are, but you want to be sure).

One needs to be very cautious. I have heard there are better grades of solar cells that use better silicon. The better grade cells last longer and give better power. The cheaper ones start to degrade in a few years. One needs to pin those things down often they say the thing lasts for decades but often they are talking about the structure itself not the cells. Investigate the company a lot I would say...make sure what you are getting and if they have a warranty.

You can get net positive over the long term but not short term. Somewhere between 10-20 years isn't unusual. Factor in quality including cost of replacement in your calculations. In other words, you want to be sure that you don't need to replace it before you break even. There may be fed and state incentives to help also and if you're lucky and live in a state that allows it, you may be able to sell your excess capacity back to the utility at about 1/3 the price that they charge you! Rules vary, and this may be too detailed, but often you can only sell back your excess up to the amount that you would have used without the system, otherwise they'll consider you a utility subject to regulation.

the salesman came to my house on a rainy day, asked me how I was doing. I said wet. he said that's how I like my women.

Anyone feeding me a line like that at our first encounter instantly finds themselves in my 'avoid at all costs' category!

I don't know too much about solar power, but as others have mentioned, I've often read that it's only really financially beneficial in the long run.

I think the whole thought process needs to be carried out with the long-term in mind - there will probably be advancements in solar panel technology, so consider durability of available installations and their compatibility with future developments etc

I understand that it can add value to your property, but not forever and there are several factors that determine whether it does and to what extent.

I drove through a village a few days ago where almost every property had solar panels installed, so there may be initiatives/schemes that the whole neighbourhood had taken advantage of together and made savings that way.

Lots of research needed I think, then just trust your own gut feeling about it versus your current energy situation and decide if it's worth it.

TTG

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back