• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Sounds of the 50s.

Bugman

Verified
I know there is at least one other member who loves the great music produced in that decade (yes Internet I'm talking about you :p) but I suspect there must be others, and everyone is invited to share their favorites.

It is impossible to discuss popular American music of the 50s without Buddy Holly. His tragic death at 22 left us with countless what ifs to ponder, but in that short time he left a legacy that inspires musicians today.

[

Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper (he knooooooowws what he likes), Eddy Valenze (? ....the La Bamba guy), all lost too soon. And, although not a big fan of him, weren't most of Elvis's hits in the 50's? And, didn't Booker T and the M.G.s start then too?

Bugman,I almost got chills, I pledge allegiance to this thread!

But, first off, we have to rectify one major thing.....your "Peggy Sue" clip is missing the AMAZING intro....the only way to kick off this thread....

Kids dancing to "The Stroll" (The Diamonds)...a moment out of time.....

and lastly....and firstly....Chuck Berry: Too Much Monkey Business

May this thread NEVER die!

PS:

Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper (he knooooooowws what he likes), Eddy Valenze (? ....the La Bamba guy), all lost too soon. And, although not a big fan of him, weren't most of Elvis's hits in the 50's? And, didn't Booker T and the M.G.s start then too?

Booker T and the MGs actually started in 1962. Elvis started recording in 1954. (Chuck Berry in 1955, and although I am way more the Chuck Berry fanatic than I ever will be of Elvis...don't ever let people tell you that Chuck Berry came first! A total line of bullshit always babbled people who know nothing of the era, and that includes the ghastly piece of crap movie "Cadillac Records", which might as well be called a work of fiction)

Last edited:

The name you are looking for is Richard S. Valenzuela (May 13, 1941 – February 3, 1959), known professionally as Ritchie Valens. :D
Yes, he was great and his death was tragic.

Rd, you are thinking of Ritchie Valens. He was the youngest of the trio at 19. The Bopper (J.P. Richardson) was the elder statesman at 28. All far to young to leave us as you said.

La Bamba is Ritchie's signature song, but here's another favorite of mine.

Bugman,I almost got chills, I pledge allegiance to this thread!

But, first off, we have to rectify one major thing.....your "Peggy Sue" clip is missing the AMAZING intro....the only way to kick off this thread....

Indeed, a glaring error on my part. Forgive me Buddy, for I have sinned.

Kids dancing to "The Stroll" (The Diamonds)...a moment out of time.....

and lastly....and firstly....Chuck Berry: Too Much Monkey Business

May this thread NEVER die!

PS:

Booker T and the MGs actually started in 1962. Elvis started recording in 1954. (Chuck Berry in 1955, and although I am way more the Chuck Berry fanatic than I ever will be of Elvis...don't ever let people tell you that Chuck Berry came first! A total line of bullshit always babbled people who know nothing of the era, and that includes the ghastly piece of crap movie "Cadillac Records", which might as well be called a work of fiction)

'Net, just a quick aside here. Can you imagine Buddy stepping into the producer's role in later years (something he had a growing interest in if memory serves) and helping to shape some of the emerging artists of those decades? The implications for music are fascinating to think about.

'Net, just a quick aside here. Can you imagine Buddy stepping into the producer's role in later years (something he had a growing interest in if memory serves) and helping to shape some of the emerging artists of those decades? The implications for music are fascinating to think about.

Absolutely, B-B-Bugman! He was actually planning on producing Ritchie Valens when they got off tour! He'd just moved to Greenwich Village......his career was actually not going so well, he hadn't had a hit in a while (in 1950s rock 'n'roll terms, that is!), that's one reason why he took that tour in the dead or winter. There was no heat on the bus. Fed up, he chartered a plane; there was only room for four so Waylon Jennings flipped a coin with Ritchie Valens and Ritchie Valens "won" the coin toss. The plane went up and crashed within a couple of minutes of takeoff. A sad end to three great rockers.

The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, and Buddy Holly.jpg
The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, "Winter Dance Party" early 1959

....and so as not to keep it too maudlin.....;)

Shirley & Lee: Let The Good Times Roll

[/I]
Absolutely, B-B-Bugman! He was actually planning on producing Ritchie Valens when they got off tour! He'd just moved to Greenwich Village......his career was actually not going so well, he hadn't had a hit in a while (in 1950s rock 'n'roll terms, that is!), that's one reason why he took that tour in the dead or winter. There was no heat on the bus. Fed up, he chartered a plane; there was only room for four so Waylon Jennings flipped a coin with Ritchie Valens and Ritchie Valens "won" the coin toss. The plane went up and crashed within a couple of minutes of takeoff. A sad end to three great rockers.

View attachment 499913

The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, "Winter Dance Party" early 1959

I remember reading that Buddy was teasing Jennings about losing his seat on the plane and he said (completely jesting) "I hope your stupid plane crashes" or something along those lines. Those words haunted Waylon till the end of his life.

Oh by the way, great clip from the Dance Party! I had no idea it was out there.

The 1950s....

Look Mom! It's Elvis!

tumblr_mz3g8789vt1rv1sa8o1_500.gif

tumblr_marid2x0Fh1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Rock n Roll was truly underway

Yes, on to happier things. In that spirit, how about a little Jerry Lee.

[

Oh my god, I just found this, never saw this clip before, beautiful.....Fats was recording in 1949, before all of 'em!

Fats Domino: Valley Of Tears

and man, great Jerry Lee clips, Bugman! Fierce!

You've got all my fave Jerry Lee tunes up there! Except this one! Great way to start a party!

Jerry Lee Lewis: High School Confidential

and SamuelKhan, great Elvis gif! Here's one his earliest, and most rockin'.....and there's not even drums on it!

Elvis Presley: Milkcow Blues Boogie

And lest we forget Little Richard....

Little Richard: Send Me Some Loving

or Bo Diddley

Bo Diddley: Who Do You Love?

or Carl Perkins

Carl Perkins: Your True Love

*jerry lee plays piano on this track

The 1950s....

Look Mom! It's Elvis!

tumblr_mz3g8789vt1rv1sa8o1_500.gif

tumblr_marid2x0Fh1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Rock n Roll was truly underway

Heh, I'm a bit too young to remember that, but it was the same way when The Beatles helped launch the British Invasion in the 60s, much to the distress of many a parent.

Well, Bug, I think the same reaction was apparent when some wild man named Little Richard really made white parents go nuts. Imagine him crashing Lawrence Welk...

Well, Bug, I think the same reaction was apparent when some wild man named Little Richard really made white parents go nuts. Imagine him crashing Lawrence Welk...

Hah, yeah that's true. Little Richard and Welk, talk about polar opposites.

Last edited:
How are you guys posting the videos directly to the page? I can't figure it out lol Anyway...Here are some of my favorites:

Hey CD, a rock and roll, music freak if I ever saw one! So fun, all great hits from the 50s!

Here's how I learned to embed the You Tubes!
http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?272853-NEW-how-do-I-embed-a-youtube-video-in-my-post

Another thing you can do is "Reply with quote" on one of the posts with a You Tube clip embedded.....and you'll see how it's set up. All you have to do is "plug in" the end of the You Tube URL (the numbers/letters mix, looking something like: D7je8Dx).

Love "Poison Ivy"! One of my favorite Coasters song is the hilarious "Shopping For Clothes".......hilarious, but also so hip, so cool, so laid back!

The Coasters: Shopping For Clothes

Unfortunately, it was released in 1960! So it doesn't count!

So here's one of my other favorites, equally as cool! And was released in the 50s!

The Coasters: Three Cool Cats

Last edited:
Thanks Internet, Bugman!!! :) It took me 20 mins to fix my mistakes earlier lol!!

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back