• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Sounds of the 50s.

Elvis was a huge influence on the Beatles, so much so that John Lennon once said "Before Elvis there was nothing" I can't imagine anybody not being influenced by him, either to enclude or exclude depending on the artists opinion of his style or type of music. He was the biggest influence in pop music ever.

Uh-oh, I feel a long one coming on!

John was prone to over-the-top statements, everyone knows that, but to him - and many early rock and rollers - yes, there was nothing before Elvis. If you see him talk about Chuck Berry, he is equally effusive. He heard Little Richard soon after he heard Elvis (possibly weeks), and went on record many times saying how hearing Little Richard sealed the deal that Elvis had begun. Lots of other guys did NOT like Elvis and were NOT so influenced by him. Frank Zappa, for instance. Pete Townshend. Just two guys off the top of my head who were not Elvis fans. Both of my parents were ambivalent about Elvis. I've met lots of people who were around in the 50s, early rock and roll fans and for them, it most definitely was not "all about Elvis".

To say he was the biggest influence on pop music ever - that's debateable. Instead of just saying this grand statement, and I understand, that's what being a rock and roll fan is all about......let's enumerate exactly what Elvis did do..and what he didn't do. There is no diminishing Elvis' importance and influence. But there is overstating it.

-Organically bridging white and black styles.......absolutely. He wasn't the only one (Fats Domino and Chuck Berry are two examples)......

-His hiccupping style.......widely imitated, Buddy Holly and John Lennon being two of the best examples.

-His performance style......any rock singer who fronts a band has got some Elvis in him. It didn't come out of nowhere, he was into black music, but he most definitely had his own trademark thing, like a James Brown or Mick Jagger or a Michael Jackson. Or an Elvis. A one and only.

-The early Sun records....the use of tape echo especially......not just sticking a microphone and recording a performance, but enhancing the performance through some kind of studio trickery.....well, that's been the name of the game ever since, and especially in rock and roll. I put that more on Sam Phillips - and after he left Sun, the records became more generic and were recorded more traditionally. (Chess Records also had distinctive echo on their records. Les Paul also used studio trickery.)

- The music business changed, he exploded the music business. Teen idols were in. The music business liked teen idols (and still does) because they're easily controlled, and super-easy to market. Elvis most definitely made great records throughout his career, but for the most part, the focus was on marketing him as a star and exploiting all the money there was to be made on this kid. There was no precedent for an Elvis, so moving into more mainstream music, and going Hollywood (and going Vegas)....seemed like the path to take.

Those to me are the biggies about Elvis and his influence, off the top of my head. Those are alot of things! Most artist do one thing, if that. He accomplished many!

I see Elvis in all kinds of things today. But I see The Beatles more, way more. Their breadth of influence is way more expansive, into areas you don't even think of. Social mores. Fashion. Even interest in health food and yoga and Eastern philosophy, that all blew up after the Beatles went to India. Music styles that you wouldn't even think of being influenced by. I mean, "Bitches Brew" has Beatles in it, whether or not Miles would admit it, or even know it. Recording techniques, millions of them. The way drums are played, guitars are played, bass is played......the way songs are written......and in multiple ways, all those things I just mentioned, not just one thing. The way you market and present music. The movement from singers to bands. The movement from singles to albums. When you see a video, they're doing The Beatles' early videos and music sequences from their Richard Lester movies, they're not doing Elvis numbers from "Follow That Dream". It goes on and on and on and on. (now cue all the Beatle resenters to pile on....maybe you should just start a thread on that one, lol.)

Anyways, Elvis is great, but there's alot of great stuff in the 50s, and it wasn't "all" about Elvis. You could say though that the 60s WERE all about the Beatles. Virtually nothing that happened in the 60s or that has happened since is untouched by at least something The Beatles did, even tangently. You just can't say that about Elvis, sorry.

Would the 50s have been the same without Elvis? Most definitely not. Would rock and roll have been the same without Elvis? Most definitely not. Is he the biggest influence ever in pop music? I see him as one of the big ones. I don't see him as the only one, and I don't see him as the biggest. But who cares? It's only rock and roll and I like it! :)

Johnny Ray: Cry (1951)
note the influence on Elvis ;)

Elvis Presley: That's When Your Heartaches Begin (1957)

Also.....the 50s were not all about rock and roll! In fact, to alot of people....it was about jazz!

These three masterpieces by genius Thelonious Monk always have reminded me of tickling...........if music could tickle......that's what this music does. I wish I could set this music on to some girl's body......

Thelonious Monk: Four In One

Thelonious Monk: Criss Cross

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane: Trinkle Tinkle

I'll get back to you tomorrow, it's already past my bedtime. :p But honestly I think we may just have to agree to disagree, with the understanding I'm not in any way trying to diminish what Elvis did. He's an American icon for good reasons.

Agree to disagree works for me :)

"Get A Job" has some of my favorite lyrics in a 50's rock and roll song.....deceptively cheery, it actually describes a specific situation some of us can relate to at some point in our lives! Maybe even right now......

GET A JOB
Every morning about this time
She get me out of my bed a-crying: get a job
After breakfast every day
She throws the want ads right my way
And never fails to say: get a job

And when I get the paper
I read it through and through
And my girl never fails to say
If there is any work for me
And when I go back to the house
I hear the woman's mouth
Preaching and a-crying
Tell me that I'm lying
'Bout a job...... that I never could find

Oof! The stress! :( Poor guy. He's looking! But he can't get it. And she doesn't believe him. Oh man.....lol

The first rock and roll casualty.....#1 with a bullet!

Johnny Ace: Pledging My Love

Slightly off the beaten track, but very interesting (and entertaining). You really see how rock and roll was viewed.

Alan Freed on "To Tell The Truth"

Best question asked of Alan Freed: "Aren't you ashamed to have brought about this terrible thing?"

Hank Ballard on "To Tell The Truth" (with panelists Tom Poston, Johnny Carson, Kitty Carlisle, and Virginia Graham)

Slightly off the beaten track, but very interesting (and entertaining). You really see how rock and roll was viewed.

Alan Freed on "To Tell The Truth"

Best question asked of Alan Freed: "Aren't you ashamed to have brought about this terrible thing?"

Hank Ballard on "To Tell The Truth" (with panelists Tom Poston, Johnny Carson, Kitty Carlisle, and Virginia Graham)

That's some interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it. :)

Only one way to jumpstart this thread...woo-hoo and..... bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb black slacks!

The Rock-A-Teens: Woo Hoo

Joe Bennet & The Sparkletones: Black Slacks

The Royal Teens: Short Shorts

The sight of those 45rpm records with the big hole in the center brings back memories. :D

The sight of those 45rpm records with the big hole in the center brings back memories. :D

Me, too!

Here's two squeaky clean records.....with great melodies!..... from the Liberty label.

Patience & Prudence: Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now

Margie Rayburn: I'm Available

Oh, might as well throw this one in here, while I'm doing squeaky clean records. This one was a huge hit. When I was a kid, I'd talk people into giving me their old 45s in the basement, or their attic or whatever. Everybody had a copy of this one, I must own 5 copies of this single, lol. Constantly see it in second-hand stores as well.

The Browns: The Three Bells

....all these years and multiple copies I've owned and I never noticed Chet Atkins produced this record. Always something new to learn! I have to say: it does not sound the same without lots of crackles and pops! lol

Last edited:
Gotta love Vanillaphant putting up 4:33! Love "Saxaphone Colossus" also.

Here's the first song on the first Sun Ra album from 1956.......right out of the gate, great!

Sun Ra: Brainsville

Sun Ra: Sun Song

and how about some Moondog?! Moondog sued Allen Freed, forcing him to change the name of his radio show "Moondog Matinee", probably the greatest victory ever for a blind street musician who dressed as a Viking! (It all worked out....Freed changed the name to the Alan Freed Rock And Roll Show, and the rest is history.)

This could easily go in the classical section....or as my Song of the Day!:

Moondog: To A Seahorse

Moondog: Trees Against The Sky

Holy shit, THIS is rock and roll. Takes forever for the guitar to make it's entrance....but when it does...it is ROCKIN'!
Sonny Burgess: We Wanna Boogie!

I refuse to let the 50s be left out of the TMF music party! WTF?! The 50s are the foundation of virtually everything we post!

Someone's going to join me in this thing, to jive and twist the night away on this thread or goddammit, I'm going to tickle somebody!

The Platters: Don't Tickle

Got your attention now, don't I?!!!! :D

I'm almost 50, and I have a feeling those sounds will be "eek, oh", and "give me a hand getting out of this chair" maybe in a few more years you'll hear "get off my lawn" but I think that's a sound of the 70s.

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back