• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Great.....new....music

The Internet

2nd Level Green Feather
new music

We were talking recently about ahh, music today......aaaaaaaah, music today........you know those kinds......and when I get into these conversations, I (we) can sound as if I think there is NO good music. I'm actually writing something about the various mitigating factors on the state of music and culture (i'm sure you can't wait, lol).........but despite the fact that I believe we're not in the glory days, it is NOT my feeling that there's NO great music out there.

This new album by Esperanza Spalding is frickin' great. SHE'S great. Holy smokes. Check out this wild first song (and video) from her new album, it might be too crazy for some, but it might be just rocking enough for others. It's right up my alley, though. A fine musician, an amazing bass player, a bold song, a bold statement...harmonically adventurous.....designed to dazzle.....completely in command.....check it out.

Esperanza Spalding. She just played for free in Harlem and I missed it. I can't wait to see her live, I can't wait! She's the real deal.

So what about you? Maybe you don't like the Esperanza! One thing about today? No one agrees what's great anymore! Everything got splintered and music has become people's wallpaper. Me? I'm only interested in the musical idea, I don't care what clique they're from! So won't you share your favorite? Give me your best stuff! Not just the "ok" stuff.

EDIT 2020: Since this thread devolved pretty quickly into something akin to socially-challenged,nonverbal autistics addicted to embedding (like most of the music threads), I've changed the title of this thread simply to "new music", since so much of it is in-one-ear, out-the-other, forgettable mediocrity. Just as well we never had a music subforum since very few have anything to say about any of it, nor does anyone listen to the crap. Real music freaks like to talk music, not just pose as music snobs.

Last edited:
Holy frickin' shit. I can't believe you just posted this, Leo. I got the album last week and I've been listening the absolute shit out of it! :shock:

And I agree. It's a fantastic album. Really smart and funky and soulful. Good Lava is probably my favourite track... But Rest In Pleasure comes a close second.

I'm in shock! lol

Seth Bogart's debut album is pretty neat. Best queer electropop release of the year so far! "Eating Makeup" feat Kathleen Hanna:

Holy frickin' shit. I can't believe you just posted this, Leo. I got the album last week and I've been listening the absolute shit out of it! :shock:

And I agree. It's a fantastic album. Really smart and funky and soulful. Good Lava is probably my favourite track... But Rest In Pleasure comes a close second.

I'm in shock! lol

I love Esperanza.

Holy fuck, that Esperanza Spalding tune is intense.

Mr. Vanillaphant, Ms. Chicago, Mr. Shippy......do we have frickin' great taste or what? lol. First in fetish, first in music! Pounds all around! :)

My friend was getting her hair done in Harlem and my buddy texted her and said "Esperanza's playing for free in Harlem!"....turns out my friend was two blocks away! She went, said there was only about 100 people but that she played an unbelievable show.

I knew her vaguely as a jazz stylist, saw her play with Geri Allen, I had no idea she did stuff like this....great.

Ok, next one! :)

(Shippy that's a fun tune, "Eating Makeup", lol! ;)

'Jump the Fire' by Melt Yourself Down. (Haven't actually got the album yet though.) :)

'Jump the Fire' by Melt Yourself Down. (Haven't actually got the album yet though.) :)

Thanky VP! I like that by the end of the song, the listener has been fully acclimated to the 9/4 time signature, like it's no big whoop, like it's not even odd anymore. Not an easy feat to achieve! Dug the way they produced the sax also.

Tegan and Sara's "Boyfriend," from their latest release, Love You to Death:

Last edited:
Thanky VP! I like that by the end of the song, the listener has been fully acclimated to the 9/4 time signature, like it's no big whoop, like it's not even odd anymore. Not an easy feat to achieve!

Ha, yes. It's a song you can nod and "unnod" your head to, if you see what I mean. lol

She's epic! What a superb bass line execution. Then, I was caught by that sort of dissonant "harmonics" (please correct me if I am wrong) at the very end part of that "Good Lava" song... you know, when you seem to think the song ends, but there's an extended surprise. Thanks for sharing, The Internet.

She's epic! What a superb bass line execution. Then, I was caught by that sort of dissonant "harmonics" (please correct me if I am wrong) at the very end part of that "Good Lava" song... you know, when you seem to think the song ends, but there's an extended surprise. Thanks for sharing, The Internet.

Add Bohemianne to the Cool Kids Club! ;) Dang......do we know how to pick 'em or what?!! :)

Shippy, thanks for the catchy Tegan & Sara track! It's such a nice familiar feeling for me, it actually took me back in time to, like, my prom! Even earlier, like 8th grade! The backing. Could have totally been a hit in 1985 or 83 or whatever. Sometimes you hear a throwback but it's not as good as what it's a throwback of. Whereas this one, totally would have been a hit then. And the video was so cute with the hula-hoop girl. Keep 'em coming! I am learning much from you, O Wise One! :)

Last edited:
What I've been addicted to lately:

Son Little - "The River"

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats

John Legend - "Who Did That To You"

What I've been addicted to lately:

Son Little - "The River"
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nightsweats
John Legend - "Who Did That To You"

Dug all three, and they all got strong roots! Great singers, all three.

What was the OTHER Son Little song? (i should just go look on your blog) Wasn't there another one? That one was also great.

Last edited:
I saw this LA band last week and have been playing their new album over and over. Chris Cohen's "Torrey Pine:"

Great song and album to drive around the countryside to.

Squadron - "Favorite Star"

Jessie J - "Mama Knows Best"

Miguel - "Adorn"

There's lots of good stuff still coming out. Does anyone else listen to The National?

Last edited:
Not sure what counts as "new" but I'm going to say anything from 2000 on?

This songs some years old, but I really like this guy's voice and style.

Not sure what counts as "new" but I'm going to say anything from 2000 on?

This songs some years old, but I really like this guy's voice and style.

Awwww, that's a beautiful song, really honest and understated, thank you. I actually found that really affecting, "gotta learn to let her go"....fuck, but how......:(

Yeah, I'm happy you brought that up! Let's make it 2000-present, I totally agree~ Now that's 16 years of music, just to point that out...this is what I was talking about way back.... the basic vocabulary of music not evolving at the same rate it once did. The difference between 1965 and 1967 might as well been 20 years. The difference between now and 2000, not as much of a difference. Not to say there isn't fantastic stuff......like for instance..... --->

One band I love, one of the best shows I ever saw, and a band that's quintessentially "now" as opposed to retro is Deerhoof. And so here's the greatest song ever written about the internet and the times we live in....."meet the Perfect Me"...from their album "Friend Opportunity" lol...brilliant...lol.....Isn't what the TMF is all about ? ;)

Deerhoof: The Perfect Me

The Duke Spirit has always been a favorite of mine. They released an album near the start of this month. Here's a single.

The Duke Spirit has always been a favorite of mine. They released an album near the start of this month. Here's a single.

Love it. Love it, really nice. Beautiful. Thanks! It's still in my head, great, The Duke Spirit. Love that hook with the harmonies. A nice dreamy song, like the walls are dripping with music....great.

This thread is so important, I'm learning so much! We come to tangible truths on this thread! Some of the others too!

Love it. Love it, really nice. Beautiful. Thanks! It's still in my head, great, The Duke Spirit. Love that hook with the harmonies. A nice dreamy song, like the walls are dripping with music....great.

This thread is so important, I'm learning so much! We come to tangible truths on this thread! Some of the others too!

Thanks man :)

You might like this one as well from the same album.

It's now official: I am completely out of the loop.

No you're not! Nobody's in the loop. There is no loop. There's a bunch of loops. A bunch of small loops.

You know what was a good album? The Keith Richards album that came out a couple of years ago...and I think given to whom I'm replying....the title is quite fitting!

Keith Richards: Amnesia

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back