• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Best Songs of the 90's

chicago

I was thinking of combining 80s and 90s, but I feel like the styles of music that came out during those times were so all over the place, that the decades deserve their own spaces lol

Here's a favorite version of a great song

I was thinking of combining 80s and 90s, but I feel like the styles of music that came out during those times were so all over the place, that the decades deserve their own spaces lol

Here's a favorite version of a great song

Hey Chicago, that IS a great version of that song!

What made me sad about the 90s was the divorce of guitar and keyboards. In the 70s and 80s, guitar and keyboards blended excellently together for a fuller orchestration. In the 90s, it seemed that there were guitar songs (alternative) and keyboard songs (eurodance).

Here's one of my favorite guitar songs from the 90s

<object width="475" height="381"><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPslBGjuRL0&showsearch=0&rel=0&fs=1&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" name="movie" /><param value="window" name="wmode" /><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><embed width="475" height="381" wmode="window" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPslBGjuRL0&showsearch=0&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"></embed></object><br />

And here is one of my favorite keyboard songs from the 90s:

<object width="475" height="381"><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pav2f4b-1ZE&showsearch=0&rel=0&fs=1&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" name="movie" /><param value="window" name="wmode" /><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><embed width="475" height="381" wmode="window" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pav2f4b-1ZE&showsearch=0&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18"></embed></object><br />

Well. Just had two shocks in quick succession there!

Checked out the Real McCoy song, as it didn't ring a bell. You know when you completely forget that a song even exists...? lol As I think I stated in another thread a while back, I have a bit of a soft spot for early/mid 90s eurodance... But I hadn't heard this song in about 20 years! Really took me back in time, you know. So that was the first shock.

But hearing that triggered the memory of another, similar, kind of song. I knew that the main lyric was "I'm a dreamer", but wasn't sure if that's what it was called. So I go on Youtube and have a look for it, discover it's just called 'Dreamer' (by Livin' Joy). So I click the first video that comes up... See anything familiar?

How weird is that?! lol

Hah! TMF Dance. That's awesome. Great song, too! I haven't heard it in quite some time. That was an interesting period of time. Bill Clinton was President. Racial tension was at an all time low. NBC dominated the sitcom market with Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, etc. The first wave of Batman movies was in full steam. And it was right at the brink of the Internet that would come in and change everything.

At that time none of my friends used the term "eurodance." I didn't hear the word until much later. We called it techno-pop. Many of the guys in my circle rejected the genre entirely and favored the grungy alternative stuff. I embraced both, mostly because I dig both guitar and keyboards.

Although I was but a lad during those days, I am a huge fan of a lot of stuff that was big in the 90's. Weezer, REM, Radiohead, Blink 182, Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana to name a few. Plus as it was referenced above, there was Seinfeld, which to me, makes it a great decade!

Many of the guys in my circle rejected the genre entirely and favored the grungy alternative stuff.

Had I been in my teens/early twenties when I was exposed to that music, I may have done the same myself (as, in fact, I did do with some of the commercial dance music that came a little later!). I wouldn’t have deemed it ‘cool’ enough. :facepalm:

There are some great tunes from that genre though. :)

Some of the men in the 90s had self-image issues.....

Beck: Loser

Radiohead: Creep

SubPop band from 1995....listening to it now, the Zeppelin influence is more pronounced, even though they're getting a completely different sound out of the instruments than Zep. This album, all instrumental, had alot of songs like this one: an up, happy, catchy, funky main section....and then changing suddenly into a beautiful, almost emotional, ending section.....I remember DJ-ing this track once and one of the MTV Vee-jays coming up to me, telling me she couldn't believe I was playing this album, and spent the rest of the night in the DJ booth with me, smoking pot and talking music. Ha. Sneaky brag, there, lol....

5ive Style: Deep Marsh

:sherlock:
I remember DJ-ing this track once and one of the MTV Vee-jays coming up to me, telling me she couldn't believe I was playing this album, and spent the rest of the night in the DJ booth with me, smoking pot and talking music. Ha. Sneaky brag, there, lol....

Verdict:

Not guilty.

lol

One album from the 90s which I was maybe a fraction too young to fully appreciate at the time, but which I now like to listen to from time to time is 'Bring It On' by Gomez. This song wasn't a big hit or anything (it reached 45 in the UK charts, apparently), but it's probably my favourite track on the album. Released in 1998.

:sherlock:

Verdict:

Not guilty.

lol

Ha!! Well all right! Don't have to pay a fine! I left out the part, though, where I started tickling her so bad she started making out with me! (just kidding, just kidding, lol!)

Liked the chorus on the Gomez song! Reminded me they did that cover of "Getting Better" by the Fabs, i'll have to post that soon! (if not you!)

Pavement is my 90s sound. Here's a live version of their song "Stereo:"

Great appearance on Conan!

I always thought the 90s would have been different had Jane's Addiction not broken up, and John Frusciante not left the Chili Peppers. The decade kicked off with these two big albums that to me were the real "breakthrough" of so-called alternative/indie rock, as opposed to Nirvana. Jane's and the Chili Peppers were fun and edgy (I lay the entire tattoo trend on the Chili Peppers) ..and when the momentum from those two bands stopped....we were left with mopey grunge, which I was never a fan of. (it didn't help that i worked at Tower Records at that time and heard all those albums ad infinitum!)

Jane's Addiction: Stop

The Red Hot Chili Peppers: Give It Away

...it was a good time for ladies' rock, though.... ;) (So's now.)

The Breeders: Cannonball

Liz Phair: Never Said

Crazy people make good musicians I feel like lol

Also, love that Cannonball song, Internet

Crazy people make good musicians I feel like lol

Also, love that Cannonball song, Internet

Totally. They make great artists in general. Also great girlfriends, lol...

That's a great Pumpkins song, goes through so much, just meanders and takes its time and propels you to the other side, like a rowboat.....:) ....I almost posted a song of the Pumpkins myself! Now I'll save it for the stoner thread....;)

"Cannonball"! That song was like....the song of that summer, every place you'd go, you'd hear that cool, snakey riff. Around that time I got to see a lot of this guy, one of the great heartbreaks and "what might have beens" of the decade....

Jeff Buckley: Mojo Pin

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back