• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

songs from the 70s

Recently discovered a humdinger from 1976, and have been listening the heck out of it since. "Philly Jump" by Instant Funk. A song so funky that, if you listen to it on your headphones when you're out and about, you will find that your gait suddenly contains at least 50% more swagger as a result lol. Love it!

Can't say I remember that song but here it is.

Dang...thought this thread had died.....

Also been discovering the joys of Shuggie Otis. How did it take me so long to find a song like Strawberry Letter 23? (answers on a postcard lol). The final third of that song is soooo gorgeous, holy moly. I knew the melody reminded me of a more recent pop song, and it was doing my head in not being able to think what it was. Then I looked it up and realized it was Ms. Jackson by OutKast.

Sweet Thang, a mostly instrumental, bluesy kinda tune, is also great, IMO.

Just gonna have a bit of a waffle about a recent personal musical discovery! :)

I'm not a big fan of prog-rock, but I've been listening to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (released in 1974) by Genesis and I love some of the tracks on there. Back In N.Y.C. is probably my favourite. Invigorating! Love Peter Gabriel's vocals. "AAAAAUUUUUHHHHHH You say I must be craaayy-zay" lol. Also: fantastic drumming by Phil Collins. Slightly ashamed that I didn't realize how good he was, to be honest.

Counting Out Time is also great. Probably the catchiest song on the album. Think Gabriel wrote that one himself.

Wasn't too keen on The Carpet Crawlers when I first heard it, but I really like it now. Soothing... in a slightly trippy, ethereal sort of way. Also: "The tickler takes his stickleback"? "...takes his tickle back"? :shrug: lol

I have a feeling that, as far as prog-rock albums go, it's maybe more on the pop-y side than most...? Even so, it makes me think there could be other prog-rock albums out there that I might enjoy. Kind of a nice little genre breakthrough for my musical tastes. lol

Never thought of Genesis as prog-rock; then again, never heard any of the stuff when Peter Gabriel was a member. Far as I'm concerned, a great band no matter. By the way, I'm pretty much out of this forum (got my reasons). Another BTW - thanks for everyone's input on this one... it's been a great travel back in time. Feel free to continue the thread, and any others you see fit. Ta-ta...

Just gonna allow myself one more music-based waffle - for the time being, anyway!

Been listening to Secondhand Daylight by Magazine for the first time in ages. Not saying it's one of my favourite ever albums, but one could argue that it deserves to be more well-known than it is - especially when you consider the popularity of a band like Joy Division who had a similar sort of sound. I always really liked Rhythm of Cruelty and Cut-out Shapes - second and third tracks, respectively - but my new favourite is the opening track Feed the Enemy. Think it was probably my own impatience that caused me to overlook the song in the first place, as it takes about a minute-and-a-half to get going (never was a fan of long intros!) lol. Kinda brooding and groovy at the same time - weird combo. Love the darkly theatrical quality of Devoto's voice too. Almost like a pantomime villain! But in a good way, obviously lol. There are also moments when he sounds like Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins to me - the second half of Cut-out Shapes, for instance. I like the idea of a young Billy Corgan listening and thinking, "Hey, I really like Devoto's voice when it has that strangulated feel to it... Maybe I could make that my thing!" lol Probably just a coincidence though.

Doesn't get crazier than this song! I once dj'd this at the end of the night at a club....and this girl started dancing wildly to it! :p
Gentle Giant: Knots

The Stranglers - Get A Grip On Yourself (1977)

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, John.

Hold On recorded autumn 1970

Bless You released autumn 1974

what are your favorites?

Last edited:
Some of my favorites of his came out in 1980 (Double Fantasy) but I do like this one:

A masterpiece. What a melody, and what an honest lyric. He could go from writing wild, evocative gobbldygook like "I Am The Walrus" or "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" to something so honest and direct like this one.

He whistles on this one too, which always kills me. Instead of a guitar solo, which is what most people would do, he just whistles the melody. So human. Brilliant. You listen to that and think....HIM? That's the guy you want to shoot? I mean "Jealous Guy" is a song EVERYONE can relate to. It's a song that's so personal to him....yet universal to everybody. So easy to be taken for granted.

Great choice, A.L.

Is it ok to post modern covers of songs from that era? I really like this Dixie Chicks version of Landslide - it seems like they slowed it down a little bit, which I think really works.

Starts at 0:30

Is it ok to post modern covers of songs from that era? I really like this Dixie Chicks version of Landslide - it seems like they slowed it down a little bit, which I think really works.

Sounds like the Smashing Pumpkins cover

Sounds like the Smashing Pumpkins cover

The Smashing Pumpkins one isn't as slowed down, I don't think. It's a good cover but I like what the Dixie Chicks did here with that aspect particularly, making it more meditative.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Run Through The Jungle"

Album: Cosmo's Factory

Released: 1970

If driving around on a sunny 85 degree day smoking a joint had a theme song:

Kool and the Gang - "Summer Madness"

Album: Sunlounge Sessions Vol. 1

Released: 1974

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back