• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

I hear a lot about people discussing depression...

I mean, I won't pretend I know much about this subject, but I'd say it's a good recommendation just to the extent there's not a lot of harm in watching it. Best-case scenario it's helpful. Worst-case scenario you lose what, like twelve minutes? I wouldn't really suspect that just watching could do anything to negatively affect the viewer's life, outside of being an unnecessary time investment.

No. I've had a few shitty periods in my life that had bouts with depression, and my family has a history of it, and this ranges from "Poor Explanation" to "Actually Insulting".

Literally a minute in and this guy is talking about how if you're depressed, you can just cure it by "Turning the energy of negative thoughts around". Basically, he's trying to say depression is a self fulfilling cycle that you create by accidentally forcing it on yourself. Also "If you don't have very strong emotions, you cannot get depressed."

Which isn't true. Depression isn't using all your mental feeling magic to get sad, it's a condition where the brain typically either isn't processing impulses strongly enough, or it's brought on by intense stress, or...any of these other totally valid scientific causes: http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/what-causes-depression

I would actually classify this as a pretty awful video to show anyone suffering from a serious mental health condition, because this guy keeps claiming that "most of them are self-created", which is some pretty blatant bullshit when so many of them are genetic and hereditary, etc. He's talking repeatedly about how depression is just something people do for attention, or because "Hospitals are comfortable" (??????). Telling someone who's suffering from intense self-loathing, etc. "By the way, YOU caused this!" is a pretty shitty thing to do. Most of these people need help, not some holier-than-thou scrutiny.

This honestly just reeks of those videos trying to tell you that all mental illness is a scam drummed up by the government/big pharma/millenials/Illuminati or whatever. And, not to disparage the speaker, but his big thing is that he's a Yogi, that's a Hindu religious figure. That's impressive, that takes a lot of devotion to your ideals, but that's not a medical credential. It's like saying "As a rabbi, this is why OCD is caused by ghosts."

Last edited:
Anyone who uses the word "guru" to describe themselves sends up red flags right away. This guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, but thinks he does. I'm sure he means well, but I really think he's just another homeopathic BS peddler. Depression is a real, scientifically-rooted mental disorder, and curing it is not a matter of "turning your mental energy around to be positive" or whatever it was he said. Next I suppose he'll say something about a "cracked aura" or some shit...

So you don't think people adopt poor patterns of behavior that develop their own depression? This guy IS in India. ...guru is a word that seems to have a totally different implication there than it does here.

So you don't think people adopt poor patterns of behavior that develop their own depression? This guy IS in India. ...guru is a word that seems to have a totally different implication there than it does here.

Oh, you can totally fall into behavioral patterns that reinforce depression. But that doesn't mean it's all self caused, or that you can mystically cure it by turning the Sad Power into Happy Power. That's not how that works. What he's doing is basically claiming that people who are depressed are just "doing it for the attention", which is a pretty common stigma against mentally ill people, and has been for literal centuries. Anyone who says they can cure depression, or really any mental illness, in a 12 minute speech, is not helping. It's not really something that's even "cured" so much as "managed". The issue with that is, for the most part, introspection regarding depression is best left for when you're not suffering from a bout of it. This guy is advocating just telling people who could actively be on the verge of a breakdown "actually YOU caused this". Sure, they very well may have, but it's not something to tell someone who's currently struggling. Get to a more stable mindset first, then discuss causes. Basically, put the fire out before you start replacing the batteries in the smoke detectors.

And Guru is referring, again, to a Hindu religious term. It's someone who is believed to have achieved the highest form of enlightenment in a religious sense, and has essentially come to terms with the idea that life is fleeting, and all is part of the eternal cycle of Brahman (The Universe, basically). I'd still rather hear from a doctor than a priest on something like this.

There's definitely something to be said for personal responsibility with depression symptoms, and learning to better face them, you're very right there. I just wouldn't bring it up to someone who was currently in crisis.

Last edited:
To me, if you are borderline depressed (which I think I am...), or actually are, you don't want someone telling you it's all your fault, you weak piece of.... Surely isn't going to help the person find a way out of it, whether through meditation or medication.

Oh, you can totally fall into behavioral patterns that reinforce depression. But that doesn't mean it's all self caused, or that you can mystically cure it by turning the Sad Power into Happy Power. That's not how that works. What he's doing is basically claiming that people who are depressed are just "doing it for the attention", which is a pretty common stigma against mentally ill people, and has been for literal centuries. Anyone who says they can cure depression, or really any mental illness, in a 12 minute speech, is not helping. It's not really something that's even "cured" so much as "managed". The issue with that is, for the most part, introspection regarding depression is best left for when you're not suffering from a bout of it. This guy is advocating just telling people who could actively be on the verge of a breakdown "actually YOU caused this". Sure, they very well may have, but it's not something to tell someone who's currently struggling. Get to a more stable mindset first, then discuss causes. Basically, put the fire out before you start replacing the batteries in the smoke detectors.

And Guru is referring, again, to a Hindu religious term. It's someone who is believed to have achieved the highest form of enlightenment in a religious sense, and has essentially come to terms with the idea that life is fleeting, and all is part of the eternal cycle of Brahman (The Universe, basically). I'd still rather hear from a doctor than a priest on something like this.

There's definitely something to be said for personal responsibility with depression symptoms, and learning to better face them, you're very right there. I just wouldn't bring it up to someone who was currently in crisis.

The "doing it for attention" part was heavily emphasized, I can't deny it; what I was actually paying attention to was "being mad vs going mad". That any intense emotion that is too frequently accessed will only be easier and easier to access, to the point you create a condition. I know how it is because sometimes constantly trying to solve a "problem" makes you become your own "problem". I also agreed with the point about the temple; if someone is left alone enough eventually they'll want to change. Of course in the media the negative stories are emphasized but I think people learn to change for the better over time.

There's just several points I found were helpful for me. But then again I try to regularly view his videos.

Ya I thought guru was closer to priest.

To me, if you are borderline depressed (which I think I am...), or actually are, you don't want someone telling you it's all your fault, you weak piece of.... Surely isn't going to help the person find a way out of it, whether through meditation or medication.

But nobody lives our lives but us. Sure, there's all sorts of circumstances against us but there's always an option whether or not we like it.

Exactly. I like to revert to music.....but, it just ain't the same when you have to be tethered to a device with earphones/headphones. Yet, we will survive....

Heh you'd be amazed how much a good pair of headphones makes a difference. Especially when you're in music production and you need a balanced mix vs the typical boom-room effect that beatz or your car stereo has.

I understand the logic behind improving your thoughts = improving your life, etc. That can work for many people, but depression can also be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain - unfortunately, when it's more physical than emotional, thinking more positively may not do much to change their situation. That being said, it's never a bad idea to try seeing things more positively and not letting other people influence your emotions.

I will say this. I used to be very depressed. And that changed when I started having a more positive outlook on things. Now this was something I couldn't just flip a switch and do, it's not that easy. I had help from friends and people I trusted and over time it gradually got better and better. Is it completely 100% gone? No. But it's infinitely better than it used to be. It really is incredible what having a positive mindset can do for you (while I don't think it will cure infections like he said in the video). There are studies that show that even just smiling more (forced or otherwise) will help start giving you a more positive outlook and having a positive outlook can do way more than a lot of people think. Am I saying this will work for everyone? No, but it's worth a try and better for you than taking medication if it works.

I understand the logic behind improving your thoughts = improving your life, etc. That can work for many people, but depression can also be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain - unfortunately, when it's more physical than emotional, thinking more positively may not do much to change their situation. That being said, it's never a bad idea to try seeing things more positively and not letting other people influence your emotions.
There's clinical diagnoses but there's plenty of doctors with plenty of medication. If someone has the awareness to see they have an imbalance, they have the awareness to fix it.

I think it's different for me because I didn't relate my own choice to change as a matter of positive or negative thinking. There will always be events that will impact those anyhow. The decision was "when I'm old, do I want to look back and remember the times I folded under pressure or do I want to remember the times that I took control?". For instance there's times when I couldn't achieve what I wanted but I excelled in a similar area. For instance, I can't find a Lee but I can learn to build a set of stocks. I may not be a rock star but I can learn soldering and woodworking and make guitars/cabinets. I'm not keen on programming but I can learn to make web pages.

I remember hearing from one guy about "reframing the situation" and I first walked away thinking "wtf is this guy talking about" but a few years later. ...I know none of the feelings, positive or negative about events in my life will benefit me as much as my actions will.

I'm glad that process worked for you, but that certainly doesn't mean it's a cure-all for everyone with depression. Everyone is very different and so are their brains. Medication and positive thinking are good starts.

I'm glad that process worked for you, but that certainly doesn't mean it's a cure-all for everyone with depression. Everyone is very different and so are their brains. Medication and positive thinking are good starts.

We (almost) all have 4 limbs, a base, and a brain. We're pretty genetically easy to form, otherwise there'd be less of us.

How different can we be?

Last edited:
I've been watching Sadhguru videos for a long time and this is a video that once helped me cope with depression.

Personally, to cope with depression, I meditate in order to abstract from negative thoughts. From the age of 14, I began to worry about anxiety and depression. I could not cope with it for a long time and psychologists and medications helped me for a short time. One day one of my close friends told me about the red bali kratom and after that my life changed a little. After I started taking this natural supplement, I felt much better and no longer felt as bad as after taking the antidepressants that my doctor prescribed for me. I also watched Sadhguru videos, which also helped.

Last edited:
What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back