• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favourite TV Themes

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
It’s been done before, but the last such thread I could find was 8 years old, so I thought, might as well make a new ‘un!

I was also hoping that with this music thread (it’s a music thread dressed up as a TV thread, let’s face it lol) we could maybe try and bring back typing…? Remember - that thing we used to do before embedding videos became the thing? lol Obviously there are times when there is nothing much to be said… But I worry that some of these music threads are becoming a bit impersonal, like people just hitting buttons on a jukebox, if you see what I mean. :shrug:

Anyway, here are a couple of personal favourites.

The original theme from Grange Hill. Fellow Brits will know what I’m talking about, but for those who have never heard of it, Grange Hill was a school-based kid’s TV drama which was first broadcast in the late 1970s. Apparently (according to Wikipedia, anyway), the piece of music is actually called Chicken Man and was composed by Alan Hawkshaw in 1975. (Fascinating, eh? :flatstare:) I’d never really given it much thought until now, but it is a weird choice for such a show. Pretty darn funky!

Unfortunately, the theme tune changed at some point, so this is what I had to listen to growing up in the 1990s. Not exactly a square deal, is it?! :disgust:

This is a slightly embarrassing choice, but never mind. It’s a song that I know I shouldn’t like, cos it’s cheesier than cheese. But I can’t help myself! For the record, however, I just want to state that I am not, and have never been, a fan of Home and Away. In our household back in the day, it was all about Neighbours, and those who preferred Home and Away to Neighbours were to be pitied, for they were obviously mentally ill. lol But it did have a better theme tune than Neighbours it’s true. It’s one of those songs that makes me wanna close my eyes, clench my fist and mime along to it – in a melodramatic 80s power-ballad sort of a way. :blush: lol

Anyone?

Cheers! :D

I don't watch much tv except for sports but I did enjoy Sons of Anarchy, the 1st season of True Detective. Now I'm hooked on reruns of Twin Peaks which seems like perfect timing since a 3rd season is beginning next year and I'll be caught up. I'll choose the Sons of Anarchy theme, final scene {if it counts} and the Twin Peaks theme.

Sons of Anarchy - This Life

Sons of Anarchy - Come Join The Murder

Twin Peaks

The Wild Wild West aired on the ABC Network 1965-1969. Set in the 1870s American West, stars Robert Conrad as James T. West and Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon are Secret Service agents charged with protecting their territory against an array of villains. Their chief nemesis is Dr. Loveless, (Michael Dunn) a maniacal genius who hatches a number of nefarious plots. The show could be rather cartoonish at times, but I found it entertaining.

Not much to be said about M*A*S*H*. I'm guessing most people have at least seen the show in syndication.

The Rat Patrol.

Lost In Space. Season three.

SWAT.

Space 1999 Second season.

Step by Step
Family Matters
Full House
Beetlejuice the cartoon
Muppet Babies

Bonanza aired on NBC 1959-1973. Loren Greene starred as Ben Cartwright, patriarch of the Cartwright clan. His sons were played by Michael Landon, Dan Blocker and Pernell Roberts, who left the show after season six. The original theme came complete with lyrics, sung by the cast. I've seen it on Youtube, and it's hideous. NBC must have felt the same way because they quickly dropped it in favor of the instrumental only version. Bonanza is the second longest running western in U.S. television history, behind only Gunsmoke.

Hawaii Five-0 aired 1968-1980 on CBS. Jack Lord starred as Captain Steve McGarrett, head of an elite state police task force. At the conclusion of the series it was the longest running law enforcement themed show in network history.

The Rat Patrol.

Lost In Space. Season three.

Hah, Rat Patrol. Now that's one I hadn't thought about in a long time. Only lasted two or three seasons I think.

And Lost In Space, oh my. That show was so cheesy you could have made lasagna with it.

And I liked both of them. :D

Hah, Rat Patrol. Now that's one I hadn't thought about in a long time. Only lasted two or three seasons I think.

And Lost In Space, oh my. That show was so cheesy you could have made lasagna with it.

And I liked both of them. :D

Well,it was the 60's :D

Wild Wild West was insanely good, with its very creative cartoon opening.

The Persuaders' was also great. The opening music and montage of Brett and Danny's lives has somehow become cult in Europe.

There used to be a British series that no one watched, not even the Brits, called Bugs which had a very cool intro.

The X-Files, naturally.

Strange World. That piano gives me the chills every time. Excellent series by the way, which deserved a better treatment than it got.

Profiler, a perfect case of a terrible, terrible show, with an excellent opening music by Angelo Badalamenti. He went on to sign most of David Lynch's movie scores. Whenever I would catch Profiler on TV, I would listen to the credits, then sign off or change the channel :bubble:

Earth Final Conflict: very surprising but excellent use of Celtic music for a sci-fi show.

Oz. I still can't see the HBO logo without playing the iconic percussion theme in my head.

Games of Thrones. Come on! "Dun, dun, dundundun..."
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTQ4Nzg1Njky.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2&spm=a2h0k.8191407.0.0

Deadwood. That piece of country is just marvelous. I love the "dzzing" sound that plays when the title appears on screen.

Dr Who and its haunting... what's it called? Scottish organ? You know, that instrument that sounds like the wind blowing...

Highlander. Because Queen.

Dragnet (Mike Post's remix), with its "alarm call". Really conveys the feeling of urgency it is supposed to.

Highlander. Yeah I know I said it already. But Queen deserves at least a second mention!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI0OTA3NTM3Mg==.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2&spm=a2h0k.8191407.0.0

My favorite ever I think would be Spooks' theme. There is something extremely compelling about it.

Last edited:
Checked out everything that has been posted/mentioned. Quite an assortment! I’m also feeling slightly less embarrassed about my Home and Away choice now, which is nice. lol

I haven’t even seen Twin Peaks, but somehow I knew the music immediately. I suppose it’s just a very singular, distinctive sort of theme tune. I really like it, though. (I really ought to watch that show.)

Gilligan’s Island must be the most literal theme tune I’ve ever heard! They really wanted to hammer home the premise of the show with that one. lol

Love the Happy Days theme. And because the show was broadcast here in the UK in the early 90s, it’s one that I tend to associate with my childhood.

The Bonanza theme tune rang a vague bell for me, but I'd never listened to it properly. Bloody good 'un it is, too!

And I have to say, having never heard of some of the sitcoms that were mentioned, watching the titles for those shows was an experience! lol Made me think of Family Guy and the way they sometimes parody those sort of family-based sitcoms. lol

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned.

The Rockford Files (1974-1980 on NBC) is still one of my favorite shows. James Garner, one of my favorite actors as Jim Rockford, with a great supporting cast. Noah Beery Jr. as his father Rocky, Joe Santos as Dennis Becker, his detective friend with the LAPD, and Stuart Margolin as Angel Martin, a two-bit con artist always looking to make a quick and easy buck. Garner insisted on doing most of his own stunts and was often banged up while the show was in production.

Hill Street Blues, another NBC show, aired 1981-87. Set in the fictional NYPD Hill Street Station, the show chronicled the professional and personal lives of the station staff. Considered a very realistic portrayal of police life at the time, the show won 8 EMMY Awards after the first season, and a total of 98 nominations during its time on the air.

I can't compete with you guys at all. We do get this old tv program on the western channel. I do like the intro and theme although it's very short.

The Sam Peckinpah version lol

I can't compete with you guys at all. We do get this old tv program on the western channel. I do like the intro and theme although it's very short.

The Sam Peckinpah version lol

I remember The Rifleman very well. It aired on ABC 1958-1963. In 1959 there were 26 westerns on prime-time TV. That truly was the Golden Age for the western, but most of them are long forgotten now.

Love these three the best:

Turtle Power Baby! :D

The Lonely Man Theme (Ending Music to The Incredible Hulk show):

Theme Music to Battlestar Galactica (Original Series)

Mission: Impossible aired on CBS 1966-1973. After the first season Peter Graves (brother of James Arness of Gunsmoke fame) led the Impossible Missions Force, a highly secretive government agency. Other notable cast members include Leonard Nimoy, Sam Elliott and Martin Landau. Every episode opened with the famous self-destructing tape recording, followed by the theme music.

Last edited:
Damn, I should have included M:I! Although I prefer the theme from the 1980 version to the original one.

Ooh ooh, now me! Now me!

...what? It's a good show. Don't judge... >w>

I was never a fan of The Bill – police/crime drama has never really been my thing – but I’ve always liked the theme tune. What I didn’t know until I searched for it on Youtube, however, was that it was taken from a longer piece of music titled ‘Overkill’. What I also didn’t know was that this theme tune that people remember was actually a revamp.

The music that people remember:

And now here is the super-duper awesome original full-length track, part of which was used for the theme tune when the show was first broadcast in 1984. But like I say, I’d never heard it until now. And I’m slightly addicted! Been listening to it over and over again lol. So frickin’ good!

I've got a couple:

The Cowboy Bebop intro is pretty damn iconic for a reason.

I guess it's cheating but the movie intro is even better.

Lastly, my mom would always watch North of 60 when I'd come home from school. I have no idea what happened in the show but I have the theme burned into my brain.

What's New

4/18/2024
Need to report a post? Click the report button to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back