• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

street beggars

I think it shows hope for the new year that this thread did a 180 from its initial tone and became stories of compassion and understanding of the issues the homeless actually have to face.

I think it shows hope for the new year that this thread did a 180 from its initial tone and became stories of compassion and understanding of the issues the homeless actually have to face.

I agree!

Personally I like to try to spare some cash if I have it on hand. I don't have much money, but I'm happy to share what little bit I have.

Wolf - I agree with you about the turn this thread took and I really hope that you're right, and that compassion and understanding will be a big part of the new year and continue as things get worse. And things are going to get worse. The United States is turning into a strange, third world like country, you can see it in every city, every state, every region. The division of wealth is disgusting and absurd. Most people don't understand that the majority of the welfare dished out in this country goes to the wealthy, that's just an irrefutable fact. Tax cuts for the rich, for corporations (which under the law are considered "persons")...the rich taking care of the rich and convincing Jane and Joe taxpayer that the poor are lazy and unwilling to work, it's disgusting.

Another thing to consider is how easy it is to lose everything. When you're living paycheck to paycheck, like a lot of us are, losing everything doesn't take very long and getting it back is extremely difficult. I lost my job in 2010, two years after the big crises supposedly began. For years I never had a problem getting a job. It would take me two, maybe three months at most to have a job and maybe another month to find an apartment. But right now finding a job really comes down to knowing someone who can get your foot in the door. Long gone are the days of sending out resumes and waiting for a call back. For every job posted there are thousands of resumes submitted and the job will probably go to someone the hiring manager knows, or it's filled from within. I've got a solid resume and a lot of experience, and yet I can't get a job at the local supermarket stocking shelves. The job market is worse than I have ever seen it and has been for years now.

We had better get used to helping each other out, and it would benefit all of us who weren't born into money to really take a good look at who is receiving most of the welfare, and what money is being spent on social services compared to military spending, jail building, bail-outs, etc. And how health insurance is no longer an automatic benefit of having full time employment and the average salary has not kept up with the cost of living since the early seventies. We need to educate young people on how things actually work and unfortunately, spending on education is usually one of the first things on the chopping block. We live in a plutocracy, and that isn't going to change unless we organize and call bullshit on the entire system controlling us.

Wolf - I agree with you about the turn this thread took and I really hope that you're right, and that compassion and understanding will be a big part of the new year and continue as things get worse. And things are going to get worse. The United States is turning into a strange, third world like country, you can see it in every city, every state, every region. The division of wealth is disgusting and absurd. Most people don't understand that the majority of the welfare dished out in this country goes to the wealthy, that's just an irrefutable fact. Tax cuts for the rich, for corporations (which under the law are considered "persons")...the rich taking care of the rich and convincing Jane and Joe taxpayer that the poor are lazy and unwilling to work, it's disgusting.

Another thing to consider is how easy it is to lose everything. When you're living paycheck to paycheck, like a lot of us are, losing everything doesn't take very long and getting it back is extremely difficult. I lost my job in 2010, two years after the big crises supposedly began. For years I never had a problem getting a job. It would take me two, maybe three months at most to have a job and maybe another month to find an apartment. But right now finding a job really comes down to knowing someone who can get your foot in the door. Long gone are the days of sending out resumes and waiting for a call back. For every job posted there are thousands of resumes submitted and the job will probably go to someone the hiring manager knows, or it's filled from within. I've got a solid resume and a lot of experience, and yet I can't get a job at the local supermarket stocking shelves. The job market is worse than I have ever seen it and has been for years now.

We had better get used to helping each other out, and it would benefit all of us who weren't born into money to really take a good look at who is receiving most of the welfare, and what money is being spent on social services compared to military spending, jail building, bail-outs, etc. And how health insurance is no longer an automatic benefit of having full time employment and the average salary has not kept up with the cost of living since the early seventies. We need to educate young people on how things actually work and unfortunately, spending on education is usually one of the first things on the chopping block. We live in a plutocracy, and that isn't going to change unless we organize and call bullshit on the entire system controlling us.

Well said! I count myself fortunate to have a home, job and many other luxuries. I think finding ways to help others is crucially important, and I am afraid those in need will need the help of compassionate people in the coming four years more than ever.

Of course no one is obligated to give money to those in need. Everyone is free to spend their hard earned money however they see fit. But hopefully compassion and reason will prevail over the cynical view that all homeless people will only spend money on drugs and alcohol.

I give money to charities like the Salvation Army.

When I lived in Lancaster, there was a homeless shelter that my mom and I used to give money to throughout the year, especially during times like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Well said! I count myself fortunate to have a home, job and many other luxuries. I think finding ways to help others is crucially important, and I am afraid those in need will need the help of compassionate people in the coming four years more than ever.
Of course no one is obligated to give money to those in need. Everyone is free to spend their hard earned money however they see fit. But hopefully compassion and reason will prevail over the cynical view that all homeless people will only spend money on drugs and alcohol.

I'd be wiling to bet most of the people who are such experts on the poor and the homeless have never been either.

From time to time,there are people who roam the truck stop lots looking for money to buy food,or put fuel in their car. If they want food,I will offer some of the canned goods,or fresh food I have in my 12 volt cooler.

If they want fuel for their vehicle,I will ask them to pull onto the fuel island,and let me know what pump number they are on. Then I will go inside and give the cashier X amount of money for pump # such and such.

If they turn down the offer of either one,it is their bad. I have seen people driving their car around the truck stop lot,and asking for gas money because they say they are out of gas. If their vehicle is out of gas,then how are they able to drive around the parking lot?

From time to time,there are people who roam the truck stop lots looking for money to buy food,or put fuel in their car. If they want food,I will offer some of the canned goods,or fresh food I have in my 12 volt cooler.
If they want fuel for their vehicle,I will ask them to pull onto the fuel island,and let me know what pump number they are on. Then I will go inside and give the cashier X amount of money for pump # such and such.
If they turn down the offer of either one,it is their bad. I have seen people driving their car around the truck stop lot,and asking for gas money because they say they are out of gas. If their vehicle is out of gas,then how are they able to drive around the parking lot?

Oh, there are definitely scams out there, and people who will turn down help if it's not the exact kind of help that they want. As you say, that's their bad.

I very rarely like to give money to beggars, usually I like to offer to buy them a meal, or something like that if I have the ability to. Luckily for me, I've never run into someone that refused, in fact, I've never run into someone like this who wasn't extremely thankful. Also, donating my time is something that I personally enjoy doing. One thing I have done many times is gone to Tijuana Mexico with an organization and built houses for those who need them. It is an incredibly rewarding feeling to help out those of us who have very little, and seeing their gratitude afterwards is honestly the best feeling in the world. So many of us have the ability to give, just have to be smart about it.

I originally posted this thread in order to relate the two anecdotes that are below, in small font, in the hope that some people would find them interesting. That did not happen.

Instead, this thread evolved into a discussion of charity and how to most effectively help people who need it.

There is nothing wrong with having such a discussion, but it belongs in the Politics & Religion Forum. Please move it there.
-milagros317

1. It was the summer of 1991. I was walking downtown on Central Park West going home from the American Museum of
Natural History. It was a sunny day, so I was wearing a baseball cap to keep the sun off my face. It was one my
Brooklyn Dodger caps.

A man was standing on the corner of 73rd Street and Central Park West and he was asking everybody who passed by,
"Can you spare me some change? I'm trying to get enough for lunch." Nobody was giving him any money. He looked as if
he would spend the money on a cheap bottle of wine, if he got enough cash.

When I went by, however, he said instead, "Oh, Brooklyn Dodgers. I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan."

I stopped walking and took a good look at him. He appeared to be about 50, a not very healthy 50. I said, "You look
old enough to have been a Brooklyn Dodger fan. In the year they won the World Series, in 1955, the starting pitching
rotation was Don Newcombe, Carl Erskine, Billy Loes, and Johnny Podres. The ace out of the bullpen was Clem Labine. Now,
you tell me who the eight regular position players were."

He said, "Roy Campanella was the catcher, Gil Hodges at first base, Jim Gilliam at second base, Jackie Robinson at third
base that year, moved there to make room for Gilliam, Peewee Reese at shortstop, Sandy Amoros in left field, Duke Snider
in center field, and Carl Furillo played right field."

He smiled as he finished. I reached for my wallet and took it out. "Absolutely correct," I said.

"Then you'll give me a couple of bucks for lunch?" he asked.

"Better than that," I said. "Have a good lunch today. There aren't many of us Brooklyn Dodger fans left." I handed him
a $20 bill and turned to walk home. It may have been spent on wine, whiskey, or crack cocaine, but I didn't care.

2. It was the spring of 2015. On a warm April day, I was walking south on Broadway, heading to work, passing my local
bank branch just north of 61st Street. A young blonde woman, about 20, was sitting on the sidewalk right outside the
vestibule with half a dozen ATM's inside. Actually, she was sitting on a big piece of cardboard which was on the
sidewalk. Another big piece of cardboard was propped up against the bank's wall behind her. On it was written, "Homeless
but NOT Hopeless. Please help me." A hat with a few dollar bills in it was near her feet.

As I went by she looked me in the eyes and said, "I'm hungry. Please help me."

"Nobody is going to believe that you're homeless with a pedicure like that," I said, pointing to her feet, in sandals,
with what looked like a professional pedicure, applied in a nail salon, with gleaming bright blue polish and perfectly
shaped toenails.

She blushed and didn't reply.

"What you need to do," I said, "is go home and put on your oldest, dirtiest sneakers. Then maybe people will believe
that you're homeless." I walked away without putting any money into the hat.

The next day, I was walking south on Broadway and I saw, in the exact same spot, the same young woman sitting on the same
piece of cardboard with the same cardboard sign behind her. But now she was wearing a very dirty pair of old sneakers.

She looked up at me, recognized me from the day before, and didn't say anything. I took out my wallet and dropped a
$5 bill into her hat. She looked shocked but still didn't say anything. "Nobody ever takes my advice," I said, "and
you did." I continued south on Broadway headed to work.

I originally posted this thread in order to relate the two anecdotes that are below, in small font, in the hope that some people would find them interesting. That did not happen.
Instead, this thread evolved into a discussion of charity and how to most effectively help people who need it.
There is nothing wrong with having such a discussion, but it belongs in the Politics & Religion Forum. Please move it there.
-milagros317

There is nothing political about people personally showing kindness to other human beings, however they choose to do so.
Are you offended that people turned this thread into stories of how they show kindness?

Last edited:
Lol... Thought of something Mils, what would make you drop $100 to a beggar?

Cant really regulate how a thread goes after posting unless its really off topic. Especially when folk are sharing stories like Mils did in the OP and his responses about organizations that help homeless.

I think the responses are on topic and many are much needed positivity despite the OP as well as current tensions in the world.

That said, giving to someone, no matter their response, is a still a good deed. How they react may change your mind to help that specific person again in the future but of course that interaction does not reflect the majority, nor should it be judged as such. If you give just to get a pat on the back or praise, maybe it would be helpful to look deeper at that

Lol... Thought of something Mils, what would make you drop $100 to a beggar?
Using the CPI issued by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the $20 that I gave the beggar in 1991 would be worth almost $40 today. I can't picture giving more than that to one person at one time, because an old Brooklyn Dodger fan in distress is about the most sympathetic character that I can imagine.

Cant really regulate how a thread goes after posting unless its really off topic. Especially when folk are sharing stories like Mils did in the OP and his responses about organizations that help homeless.

I think the responses are on topic and many are much needed positivity despite the OP as well as current tensions in the world.

That said, giving to someone, no matter their response, is a still a good deed. How they react may change your mind to help that specific person again in the future but of course that interaction does not reflect the majority, nor should it be judged as such. If you give just to get a pat on the back or praise, maybe it would be helpful to look deeper at that
I am not trying to regulate anybody's response; I just believe that the tone of many of them is political and it should all be moved to P&R. If it is not moved, then so be it.

I have never given anything to any person or organization to get a pat on the back. I give to organizations that I deem worthy of receiving a gift and expect nothing back from them. I just give to organizations in whose mission I believe.

I am not trying to regulate anybody's response; I just believe that the tone of many of them is political and it should all be moved to P&R. If it is not moved, then so be it.

I have never given anything to any person or organization to get a pat on the back. I give to organizations that I deem worthy of receiving a gift and expect nothing back from them. I just give to organizations in whose mission I believe.

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation. Sorry if I misunderstood

Using the CPI issued by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the $20 that I gave the beggar in 1991 would be worth almost $40 today. I can't picture giving more than that to one person at one time, because an old Brooklyn Dodger fan in distress is about the most sympathetic character that I can imagine.

Crystal. It's the silliest rationale I have encountered about alms giving, but I figure that when it's not in a form of coin, it must have a principle built upon it. It's an amusing anecdote, actually. :D :eek:

The P&R reminds me of the convergence of seagulls in Richard Bach's book. I'm an outcast...by choice. ;)

Just a side note, speaking from personal experience, I have to say that the poor and in extreme cases, the homeless, are some of the most generous people I have ever met. That goes for addicts as well, maybe not during active addiction, but even then, sometimes, they can be extremely generous and compassionate. I don't think it matters where this thread ends up - Politics and Religion/General Discussion/whichever...doesn't matter, the point is that people taking care of people is probably the most important factor in the continued existence of the human race. Resources are dwindling, population control measures have been in place for a long, long time, (call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, I don't care,) and efforts to re-enforce and highlight our differences rather than embracing solidarity vital for human survival are creating a society in which compassion, empathy, and simply looking out for one another could be our only hope for survival.

The late author Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire, The Monkey Wrench Gang) said in one of his anecdotes that he always gave money to panhandlers because he thought he could just as easily become one.

As for myself, I vary. Depending on my mood, sometimes I'll ignore them, sometimes I'll give them a few dollars.

From time to time I will buy a bunch of $10 McDonalds gift certificates and offer those to panhandlers if asked for money. Maybe I am just helping to grow some black market where people exchange McDonalds gift certificates for drugs, but I hope that I am helping at least some people who need it.

Donating directly to food banks and shelters is another good option, imo.

From time to time I will buy a bunch of $10 McDonalds gift certificates and offer those to panhandlers if asked for money. Maybe I am just helping to grow some black market where people exchange McDonalds gift certificates for drugs, but I hope that I am helping at least some people who need it.

That's another really good idea, and it raises a really good point, IMO.
If you're giving someone charity, it doesn't matter what they do with it.
You're trying to do good, and there's not enough of that in our society.

I'm not a believer, but I attend church because it gives me an opportunity to give something back to the local community. (That, and my girlfriend goes to church and it gives me a chance to hang out with her.) I often hear the complaint that panhandlers are just using the money to buy heroin or crack or comic books or whatever. I'm of the opinion that A) I don't know what they need. I don't know their situation. Maybe alcohol or drugs is all they have. I simply don't know. Maybe they just need food. I can't, nor would I, screen everybody; B) It's my job to give when I can. That's between me and my beliefs. What they do with it is none of my damn business. That's between them and THEIR god.
I try to carry a few dollars in $1 Sacajawea coins (I always get them back as change at the bus/train ticket kiosk). I also try to carry two or three "Care Bags" in my backpack and give them out. They usually have sample/hotel toothbrush, tooth paste, soap, shampoo and conditioner from hotels (I ask my friends to save them for me, hell, I can't afford to travel) and some Ramen, a juice box, stuff like that. We make them up at church. Also, I have a close friend that is a diabetic and they give me a bag of new needles about once every two weeks and I pass them out. (I had NO idea how cheap needles are). I take public transportation EVERYWHERE, so I'm always running into people in need. Once word gets around that you have needles, people will ask for them. I used to buy a deck of smokes and pass them out, but at $6, I can't afford that anymore.
I'm not saying all this for a pat on the back. This is an anonymous forum. This is just my contribution to the conversation and my personal beliefs. I fully understand and respect the beliefs of those that DON'T give. I also know, I'm not saving anybody. At best, I'm knocking off the sharpest edges of the suck. Tomorrow, they are still in the same shit. For me at least, it's about compassion, not change.
At the end of the day, if I gave money/food to 1,000 people and one of them was a single mother needing formula and diapers and the other 999 spent the money on Moody Blues 8 tracks, I consider that an epic win of monumental proportions.
That's just my thoughts. If you take my thoughts and $5 to Starbucks, you can get a coffee.

What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back