• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Leading ladies of the 1920's

I enjoyed your post. I was only familiar with Bow,Crawford,Garbo,Davies,Swanson and Wray.(I think that's all) It is hard to imagine the changes in movie making(like most things) in the last 90-100 years. I wonder if any of these lovely ladies had trouble transitioning from the silent to the "talkie" era? Thanks again for a link to lovely ladies of the past.

You are welcome! :bubble: I also enjoyed this album a great deal; kudos to the IMDb for publishing it!

They are beautiful, aren't they? :bubbleheart: I am not a fan of the fashion of the time, but it is fascinating to see how much our beauty standards have changed. I tend to prefer victorian-age clothing and beauty (long hair, elaborate dresses..), but the roaring twenties are still an interesting period for at least three reasons:

1) Acting became a job of its own. Before then, during the birth of Cinema, actresses were more or less prostitutes or total amateurs. In the 1920's, filming had become an art form in its own right, and professionalization had been achieved. Those women pictured here were all full-fledged actresses, and some of them were even the stars if their time.

2) They were damn talented. All of them! In the "mute" era, conveying an emotion without the use of words was extremely difficult, and required a complete mastery of one's body. And even in "talky" movies, more often than not, these ladies could almost be considered athletes, performing dangerous stunts, and doing all kinds of stuff most of us would not be able to do.

3) They were independent in every sense of the term. They were earning a lot of money and could dispose of it as they pleased. Being in the film industry also gave them a lot of leeway towards the social conventions of the time; they could be almost anything they wanted, on-screen and off-screen. It is something we don't think of very often in this day and age, but these women, once again all of them, were the embodiment of subversion, long before the counterculture movement. Can you imagine having dinner with them? Courting them? Tickling them? :wub:

To connect with what you said, the subject of switching from mute to spoken Cinema could be the object of a book because it is so rich and complex. You are absolutely right, but there are also more than a few examples of ladies who succeeded in the transition from one medium to the other. On that topic, did you watch the French movie The Artist? It is precisely about that.

Interesting link. Especially considering with most of these older starlettes, we only see photos of them in their latter years, not in their hey-day. No doubt, they all would be great as actresses today.

Mille fois merci for sharing this, though number 32 looks uncomfortably close to me on a recent date.

And slide 49 captures what most women new to the TMF and similar sites must feel like.

:rowfull: You really made me laugh with your comment about slide 32, lol! Lon Chaney was a very charming man, as you can tell from his smile here ^_^

And you are right about 49. Although my first thought was "me arriving at work" ;)

The Roaring Twenties...Most of the actresses and actors are long forgotten now, unless you are an old film buff. The decade that introduced "talking pictures". The technology was used in some short films as early as 1923, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_film, but The Jazz Singer (1927) was the first feature-length film with synchronized dialogue.

It was the era of Flappers, Prohibition, bathtub gin, jazz, and, in October 1929 the collapse of the stock market that ushered in the Great Depression.

Thanks for the link Tenebrae. :)

:rowfull: You really made me laugh with your comment about slide 32, lol! Lon Chaney was a very charming man, as you can tell from his smile here ^_^

Yes, I even tracked down his personal prosthodontist too. But I guess chicks don't go for the filed-down look anymore...

And you are right about 49. Although my first thought was "me arriving at work" ;)

:) I certainly hope your needy, grabby co-workers/customers have the decency to wash their hands, at least, like we do here at the homey ol' TMF. Well, most of us, anyway; I personally can get by with just a spritz of Purell every once in a blue moon.

I thank you, sir! I'm a fan of Fritz Lang's films in general -- I particularly love his two-part cycle "Die Nibelungen", and "M".

I've certainly wondered what it would be like to tickle Ms Helm in her prime. There's a great still photo from Metropolis of her strapped to the table in the Mad Scientist's lair about to be turned into the sexiest robot ever -- the Maschinenmensch -- and you get a pretty good look at her bare feet. I've wondered if Mr Lang or anyone in the crew gave her a quick tickle:

1277836_367940786642475_474991019_o.jpg

What a great picture!

Well, this gives a new perspective on the mad genius trope. Herr Lang was kind of unhinged after all, or at least let us say "eccentric". I can totally imagine that once the girl was strapped down, he or someone on the crew would tickle her bare and helpless feet to verify the solidity of the bondage. I did that once at school when I was in my teens, during a stage play when a girl's wrists were secured above her head to a hook; great fun :devil:

I also love Die Niebelungen (I found a great restored version a few years ago), although the opera is much better than the film IMO, and M is definitely my favorite film of his. I also enjoy some of the films he made while in America, namely Fury and Man Hunt. The Mabuse series is also very good. I am far from having watched the entirety of his extensive filmography though.

Going back to the picture you posted, it is amazing how much this machine she is encased in looks like a tickle torture contraption. It may be the cumulative effect of the angle and my devious mind, but theses things at the bottom of her feet just look like one pressure of a button away from unleashing hell upon her soles. Just sayin'!

Anyone interested in this time period MUST check out the podcast You Must Remember This. It is one of my favorite podcasts going.

What a great picture!

Well, this gives a new perspective on the mad genius trope. Herr Lang was kind of unhinged after all, or at least let us say "eccentric". I can totally imagine that once the girl was strapped down, he or someone on the crew would tickle her bare and helpless feet to verify the solidity of the bondage. I did that once at school when I was in my teens, during a stage play when a girl's wrists were secured above her head to a hook; great fun :devil:

I also love Die Niebelungen (I found a great restored version a few years ago), although the opera is much better than the film IMO, and M is definitely my favorite film of his. I also enjoy some of the films he made while in America, namely Fury and Man Hunt. The Mabuse series is also very good. I am far from having watched the entirety of his extensive filmography though.

Going back to the picture you posted, it is amazing how much this machine she is encased in looks like a tickle torture contraption. It may be the cumulative effect of the angle and my devious mind, but theses things at the bottom of her feet just look like one pressure of a button away from unleashing hell upon her soles. Just sayin'!

Wow -- you are the first person I've encountered outside of a music forum who appreciates Wagnerian opera (Das Rheingold and Gotterdammerung are my favorites). We appear to share many similar tastes it seems both artistic and devious ;-) I can just imagine being the Mad Scientist and what sort of experiments I would perform on her to further my tickling research -- until I turn her, and my other beautiful victims, into an army of Tickling Robots to unleash on Metropolis "Mwaahahahahahaaaaaa!", lol

Haha, yes "wagnerites" can be found in the oddest of places ^_^ To tell you the truth, I'd be hard-pressed to name a favorite opera of mine. Just when I am about to say Götterdämmerung then I start to think of Siegfried or Das Rheingold. Even Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, one his lighter-hearted works, is immensely pleasing to listen to. Haha, I cannot make up my mind, I just love them all :p

Although I am not impervious to Mozart, Verdi or Puccini, Wagner's works in general really are my favorite. They have been a tremendous support in my life, a boost to my creativity, and the perfect translation into music of a certain life force. In fact, I have a dream to one day attend the Bayreuth Festival, even though I heard that as of late, it has not been great as it used to be. I took German classes back in high school mainly to be able to get closer to that spirit. But I guess this discussion belongs to another thread. I will check later if there is a classical music thread somewhere in the General section.

Haha, yes "wagnerites" can be found in the oddest of places ^_^ To tell you the truth, I'd be hard-pressed to name a favorite opera of mine. Just when I am about to say Götterdämmerung then I start to think of Siegfried or Das Rheingold. Even Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, one his lighter-hearted works, is immensely pleasing to listen to. Haha, I cannot make up my mind, I just love them all :p

Although I am not impervious to Mozart, Verdi or Puccini, Wagner's works in general really are my favorite. They have been a tremendous support in my life, a boost to my creativity, and the perfect translation into music of a certain life force. In fact, I have a dream to one day attend the Bayreuth Festival, even though I heard that as of late, it has not been great as it used to be. I took German classes back in high school mainly to be able to get closer to that spirit. But I guess this discussion belongs to another thread. I will check later if there is a classical music thread somewhere in the General section.

http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?279630-The-Classical-Thread

:)

What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back