• >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Bug's Guidebook to Texas.

Bugman

Verified
Waco is the county seat of McLennen County, 90 miles north of Austin. In 1838 Neil McLennen built a cabin near the confluence of the Bosque and Brazos Rivers. He later sold his land to Jacob De Cordova, who hired former Texas Ranger George B. Erath to survey the land. Erath plotted the first city block of the town in 1849 and later that year Shapley Ross built the first house in the new town.

Waco soon thrived as an inland cotton distribution center, and the first bridge across the Brazos was completed in 1870. Herds of cattle heading north on the Chisholm Trail frequently crossed the bridge, which required a toll, while others were loaded on barges to continue the journey.

Baylor University moved to Waco in 1886 and quickly became influential in local affairs. William Cowper Brann was publisher and editor of the Iconoclast newspaper, and no friend of the university or Christians in general, once writing "I have nothing against the Baptists. I just believe they were not held under long enough" (Conger, 1964, Baptism by Immersion). (Credit Wiki.) Things came to a head on March 31 1898 when Tom Davis, a supporter of the school, walked into a tavern, produced a pistol, and shot Brann in the chest. Brann returned fire, killing Davis on the spot. Brann managed to walk home but died the next day.

During WWII Waco was home to Waco Army Airfield, training pilots for the war effort. Doris "Dorie" Miller was an African-American Waco native who was aboard the USS West Virginia on December 7 1941, and was awarded the Navy Cross for bravery under fire. His story is worth reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

Today, Waco is home to around 135,000, with a metro population of about 262,000. Baylor University, Waco Independent School District, two hospitals and the City of Waco are among the major employers.

Waco is also the original home of Dr. Pepper. More on that later.
I'll post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Texas is certainly host to many stories.

Fascinating! Looking forward to more posts in this thread, Bugman. :D

You're awesome, Bugman! I really like your guides~ Thanks to you, this place is not only a palace of fantasies, it is also a place of culture. And you really make me want to go to Texas some time.

I absolutely love that story about Mr Brann. It meets many of my personal beliefs and interests. As a freethinker myself, I can totally relate to him and his jokes, and his death itself is a symbol of the Old West's culture, which I adore. I think I'll write a book about the Old West some time; I should take you as a consultant ;)

I knew about Doris Miller, on the other hand. I can only imagine how powerful a symbol he must have been, at a time when America was still enforcing segregation.

Dr Pepper itself deserves its own post or even thread I think. I do not know whether you Americans know about that, but that drink is not available abroad, at least neither in Europe nor in China. I'd be curious to read what you'd write about it.

Last edited:
Fascinating! Looking forward to more posts in this thread, Bugman. :D

Glad you found it interesting Mils.

You're awesome, Bugman! I really like your guides~ Thanks to you, this place is not only a palace of fantasies, it is also a place of culture. And you really make me want to go to Texas some time.

I absolutely love that story about Mr Brann. It meets many of my personal beliefs and interests. As a freethinker myself, I can totally relate to him and his jokes, and his death itself is a symbol of the Old West's culture, which I adore. I think I'll write a book about the Old West some time; I should take you as a consultant ;)

I knew about Doris Miller, on the other hand. I can only imagine how powerful a symbol he must have been, at a time when America was still enforcing segregation.

Dr Pepper itself deserves its own post or even thread I think. I do not know whether you Americans know about that, but that drink is not available abroad, at least neither in Europe nor in China. I'd be curious to read what you'd write about it.

You are too kind my friend. I need to amend my first post. Brann was shot in the back while walking down a street, not in a tavern. The date of the shootout was April 1 1898, not March 31 as I posted, and both men died that day.

So much for relying on memory. :eek:

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbr23

The northbound I-35 bridge crossing the Brazos River and McLane Stadium, home of the Baylor Bears football team.

Attachments

• waco 032.JPG
    waco 032.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • waco 033.JPG
    waco 033.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • waco 034.JPG
    waco 034.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
In 1971 the Texas Legislature charged the Texas Ranger Commemorative Commission with raising funds to build what is now called The Texas Rangers Hall of Fame and Museum. Dedicated to the preservation of the Rangers history, the Hall opened in 1976 and is now operated as a non-profit entity by the City of Waco.

The third picture from the left is a statue of George B. Erath, mentioned in the first post.

The Rangers have a long, somewhat checkered history, much too long for a single post. Read about it here.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/met04

Attachments

• waco 003.JPG
    waco 003.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • waco 001.JPG
    waco 001.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • waco 005.JPG
    waco 005.JPG
  • waco 007.JPG
    waco 007.JPG
Last edited:
The museum has an impressive collection of 19th and 20th century firearms.

Attachments

• waco 008.JPG
    waco 008.JPG
  • waco 009.JPG
    waco 009.JPG
  • waco 011.JPG
    waco 011.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • waco 012.JPG
    waco 012.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • waco 013.JPG
    waco 013.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
One of these Bowie knives, the one on top I think, was carried by James Bowie during the siege of the Alamo. You can also see part of the rifle he used during the fighting.

Pictures 2-4. Examples of powder horns, metal powder flasks and some flintlock firearms.

Attachments

• waco 010.JPG
    waco 010.JPG
  • waco 026.JPG
    waco 026.JPG
  • waco 027.JPG
    waco 027.JPG
  • waco 028.JPG
    waco 028.JPG
A mask, hat, and pistols owned by Clayton Moore, The Lone Ranger.

Pictures 2-3, the Rangers in Hollywood.

Last picture. The Old Ranger, symbolizing all Rangers.

Attachments

• waco 018.JPG
    waco 018.JPG
  • waco 019.JPG
    waco 019.JPG
  • waco 020.JPG
    waco 020.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • waco 021.JPG
    waco 021.JPG
A collection of saddles dating mostly to the 1930's-40's, used by actual Rangers.

Attachments

• waco 014.JPG
    waco 014.JPG
  • waco 015.JPG
    waco 015.JPG
  • waco 016.JPG
    waco 016.JPG
  • waco 017.JPG
    waco 017.JPG
  • waco 029.JPG
    waco 029.JPG
First picture on the left, some firearms and personal items owned by legendary Texas Ranger Frank Hamer. Brought out of retirement to hunt down Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, after three months Hamer tracked the pair to a farm house near Gibsland Louisiana. On May 23 1934, Hamer and his posse lay in wait along a dirt road. Spotting Bonnie and Clyde heading into town for supplies and armed with automatic weapons, Hamer and his men opened fire, unleasing a hail of bullets that tore through the car and the outlaws bodies, killing them instantly.

As word of the ambush spread residents of the area gathered at the scene, collecting snippets of hair and dipping pieces of cloth into their blood. One man tried to cut off Clyde's trigger finger as a grisly trophy but was stopped by a local police officer.

Pictures 2-4, 19th century surveyors instruments.

Attachments

• waco 023.JPG
    waco 023.JPG
  • waco 024.JPG
    waco 024.JPG
  • waco 025.JPG
    waco 025.JPG
  • waco 031.JPG
    waco 031.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
You are too kind my friend. I need to amend my first post. Brann was shot in the back while walking down a street, not in a tavern. The date of the shootout was April 1 1898, not March 31 as I posted, and both men died that day.

So much for relying on memory. :eek:

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbr23

Hahaha, too bad that was a GREAT story! I am totally gonna use it in some fiction some day~

By the way, you are probably familiar with John Ford's famous quote: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend!" ;)

Hahaha, too bad that was a GREAT story! I am totally gonna use it in some fiction some day~

By the way, you are probably familiar with John Ford's famous quote: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend!" ;)

Oh yes, from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, one of the all time great Westerns with my favorite actor, Jimmy Stewart as Ransom Stoddard. What a cast. In addition to Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Andy Devine, Vera Miles, Edmond O'Brien, John Carradine, Lee Van Cleef, Strother Martin, a who's who of Hollywood royalty. :D

Wow you know your classics indeed, good sir!

:man:

I also love that film. I wouldn't name Stewart as my favorite actor though; I find him a bit "stiff" in his roles, I tend to prefer actors with a wider range or a commanding presence. But he really impressed me in this one, or in Hitchcock's movies. Rope was, for a while, one of my favorite of his, and he shows an impressive fragility in Vertigo

And as a child of the 80's-90's, I grew up to slightly more excessive Westerns, the kind Clint Eastwood :)bubbleheart:) made. But I gotta admit, John Ford not only was a genius and a war hero, he really captured the essence of a certain American spirit. Liberty Valence is a great movie, not just by its stellar acting and wonderful story; it is also the quintessential American spirit captured on film. Same could be said of Grapes of War, though it is not a Western.

EDIT: Apologies if you think I am derailing your post! I always tend to get carried away when talking about stuff I am passionate about. I am sure that it will get me into trouble some day :D

I also love that film. I wouldn't name Stewart as my favorite actor though; I find him a bit "stiff" in his roles, I tend to prefer actors with a wider range or a commanding presence. But he really impressed me in this one, or in Hitchcock's movies. Rope was, for a while, one of my favorite of his, and he shows an impressive fragility in Vertigo

And as a child of the 80's-90's, I grew up to slightly more excessive Westerns, the kind Clint Eastwood :)bubbleheart:) made. But I gotta admit, John Ford not only was a genius and a war hero, he really captured the essence of a certain American spirit. Liberty Valence is a great movie, not just by its stellar acting and wonderful story; it is also the quintessential American spirit captured on film. Same could be said of Grapes of War, though it is not a Western.

Yes, Ford directed The Grapes of Wrath, another classic and favorite of mine. Starring
Henry Fonda, Jane Darwell as Ma Joad and John Carradine as Casey, the disillusioned preacher. Darwell won an Oscar as best supporting actor for her role. Did you know she was the Bird Woman in Mary Poppins? That was her last film appearance.

EDIT: Apologies if you think I am derailing your post! I always tend to get carried away when talking about stuff I am passionate about. I am sure that it will get me into trouble some day :D

Not to worry. It may be off topic but I love talking about classic films, and share your passion. In fact I sense a classic film thread in the works. ;)

No I did not know! But I had never liked Mary Poppins, even as a child ^_^

BTW, Maureen O'Hara, Ford's favorite actress, has a great wikifeet page:

http://www.wikifeet.com/Maureen_O'Hara

PL Travers didn't like the film either. Her Mary Poppins (there were eight books in total) was a dark, brooding character, nothing at all like the kind, cheerful Julie Andrews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/saving-mr-banks-true-story-walt-disneys-battle-make-mary-poppins/

In the Spring of 1978 two local men were searching for arrowheads and other artifacts near the Bosque River. One of them noticed what appeared to be part of a large leg bone partially exposed. They took their find to Baylor University where it was identified as the femur of a Colombian mammoth.

A team of scientists and volunteers began excavating the site and by 1990 16 adult and juvenile mammoths were uncovered. To date 24 mammoths have been found. Most of the fossils are held at the Mayborn Museum on Baylor's campus, but 6 remain in situ (in the original position in the bone bed).

Colombian mammoths lived during the Pleistocene Epoch, ranging from Costa Rica to southern Canada. Adult Colombian's stood up to 14 feet at the shoulder and weighed up to 20,000 pounds, eating 500 to 600 pounds of grass a day. In February 2015 the site was designated the Waco Mammoth National Monument. This is the only known example of a nursery herd of Colombian mammoths in the world.

Attachments

• waco 050.JPG
    waco 050.JPG
This camel lived 65,000 to 67,000 years ago, around the time the mammoths are believed to have died in a flash flood.

Attachments

• waco 035.JPG
    waco 035.JPG
  • waco 038.JPG
    waco 038.JPG
My pictures don't do the site justice, I'm afraid.

Attachments

• waco 036.JPG
    waco 036.JPG
  • waco 039.JPG
    waco 039.JPG
  • waco 040.JPG
    waco 040.JPG
  • waco 041.JPG
    waco 041.JPG
  • waco 043.JPG
    waco 043.JPG
The last pictures.

Attachments

• waco 044.JPG
    waco 044.JPG
  • waco 045.JPG
    waco 045.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • waco 046.JPG
    waco 046.JPG
  • waco 047.JPG
    waco 047.JPG
  • waco 048.JPG
    waco 048.JPG
What's New

3/18/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest fetish clip selection!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back