• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Wonder Woman (2017): Event of the Year

midnightx

TMF Novice
Wonder Woman Film Poster.jpg

Hello Community,

Generally speaking, I'm a very demanding genre critic. Thus far DC hasn't hit their mark between their quixotically shade-of-gray Superman and Batfleck. I'm one of the few who thought Suicide Squad (2016) was not only good, but very good with it's multiple twisting character arcs, each written by specific writers who impacted those characters. However, that's another post.

I really only let myself get excited for one or two genre film/TV/comic events per year. That comes from my current life status; the days of the crew taking over a theater to celebrate every new film release has waned and there's just so many out there now. Who thought in the 90's when X-Men was coming what was about to happen with comics and sci-fi completely dominating Hollywood?

One of those events is the upcoming Wonder Woman on June 2, 2017. As a reader of the comic, I strongly believe this is the first DCEU movie that will actually have something to do with the character's lore. The WW I setting is perfect considering how seldom it's used compared to World War II. Out of Wonder Woman's rogue's gallery, Ares is her mightiest enemy, and him running around during WWI makes for him at his most cunning (they called it the war to end all wars for a reason). The fact that she actually has a theme to reprise in movie's score is a big plus compared to Warner's quixotic decision to can the two most iconic themes in super hero history (John William's Superman and the late Shirley Walker's Batman for which Danny Elfman stole the credit). I can already spot comic book assets in the trailers that will go over most people's heads (nice to see Godslayer made it in).

I'm so thrilled with Patty Jenkins serving as the film's director. She's something of an outsider but possesses conviction. When offered the dreadful "Thor: The Dark World (2013)" she had the integrity to walk away from what have been her first blockbuster over the dramatic changes removing all of the charm and wonderment of the first film. She plead her case to the boardroom and soon after left for "creative differences" which is Hollywood code for knowing what's being demanded will bomb.

Steve Trevor is well cast by Chris Pine and his part of Wonder Woman's origin story is true to the real thing, just moved up a war. I love that Edda Candy, played by Lucy Davis, made the cut since she's become more irrelevant in DC's constant reboots over the past decade. The jury is still out on David Thewlis as Ares (I'm keeping an open mind). Danny Huston’s General Erich Ludendorff and his masked sidekick, Doctor Maru (Elena Anaya), are boss! Then there's Gal Gadot, probably one of Warner's more spot on casting choices. She is a hero and a role model to young women and young men. She comes across as iconic and takes the responsibility of her fame seriously. I wish we had more like her in the age of anti-heroes.

Here's Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman profiled against "Harry Potter" actor David Thewis (to play Ares, The God of War)

David-Thewlis-and-Gal-Gadot.jpg

In a wonderful display of not taking themselves too seriously, the United Nations made her the Honorary Ambassador for Women. Not only was the idea fun but it also allowed her to be a beacon to the work to inspire others. Sadly it all fell apart when the politics of anti-semitism came before the young girls who had a hero and were posed to learn more about how the U.N. works. Gadot is an Israeli veteran and some holdovers from the 20th Century die hard with the U.N.'s Eastern European members. What a shame.

Of course I won't end this commentary without a clip. Here's the official origin trailer from Warner Brothers and it looks fantastic!

https://youtu.be/INLzqh7rZ-U

What are your thoughts? It's time to unleash my fellow Geekanerds!

Anyone around Quakertown, PA (AKA, Bethlehem-Lite) who wants to see an epic in June should let me know.

Many Blessings,
MidnightX

I am by no means a comic aficionado, but I did enjoy reading Wonder Woman comics as a kid. As a young girl growing up in the late 70's and 80's, she was one of the few female super heroes that had any prominence.

I look forward to the movie though I doubt I can provide the type of critique that would impress comic experts :)

I am by no means a comic aficionado, but I did enjoy reading Wonder Woman comics as a kid. As a young girl growing up in the late 70's and 80's, she was one of the few female super heroes that had any prominence.

I look forward to the movie though I doubt I can provide the type of critique that would impress comic experts :)

That's OK, there's no quiz afterward. :popcorn:

I really only got in the book in recent years. I don't approve of the New 52 change to her origin story (I know going from molded from clay and given life from the gods isn't that different from being Zeus's daughter but I'm a purist). I'm a hard critic and only read three books anymore. I find the writing teams involved in the modern age to be telling more compelling stories and finally finding a nitch to make Wonder Woman her own master of a chunk of the DC Universe (Greek mythology, sword & shield, magic & legend, face-punching Nazis, etc). She's a very compelling character and a great role model for young women and young men. Out of the trinity (Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman) she tends to be the decisive one these days; not so bogged down in minutia and more able to just do what's right out of the gate. She's a leader these days and I like it that way. Even though she's compelled to fast action in the moments between such she's a very introspective character which I also enjoy.

Or I could have skipped everything I just wrote to say this movie looks like the perfect storm. Casting, director, score, atmosphere, all seem perfect. I think it's going to be a fun movie for everyone whether a comic fan or not. I also really believe in Gal Gadot as a real life role model. I like the way she carries the mantle of her fame knowing young people see her as Wonder Woman now.

Many Blessings,
MidnightX

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back