• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Remember Monty Python?

definitely. The Spanish Inquisition. The silly walk. Turning Scottish. Something completely different. Among many others.

Yes, I loved Monty Python. My favorite was the movie Life of Brian. :p

At the moment in the UK there is quite a following for the Monthy Python musical 'Spamalot' - I have been lucky enough to play trombone for a production of the show and although I'd seen a bit of Monty Python before, I'd never really found it accessible or to my taste, but to spend a couple of weeks watching/participating I can safely it's very enjoyable - there's still some bits that I find plain silly, rather than funny, but overall very entertaining and I 'get it' more than I was expecting to when I was assigned the job on the show.

of course! I own the entire python movie collection and the entire flying circus series on dvd!

Their impact on modern comedy cannot be overstated. Often imitated, never equaled. It's a miracle some of their work even exists - we only have The Life of Brian because George Harrison stepped in to fund the movie at the last minute after the other investors backed out. Just because he wanted to see the film.

I remember the Monty Python of course, although I was barely born when they were at the apex of their career.

I think their contribution to comedy was massive, although often underestimated. Their cleverness as well as their disregard for the established institutions (which were much more powerful at the time than they are now), have redefined comedy. Simply put, they were subversion incarnate, the most shining example of the West's ability to self-criticism and British subtlety. Far, far away from the "standardized" comedy that would come from the US in the 80's and 90's.

At least two of their movies are hilarious masterpieces of absurd comedy: Holy Grail! and Life of Brian. But beyond that, both of them are truly subversive, by the way they approach their subject. They are not trying that hard to ridicule the original material as much as delivering a clever, really thought-out message about the then-contemporary stage of Western civilization. They take two of its most symbolic myths and cleverly deconstruct them, with a killer wit and appealing taste for surreal situations. To this date, both of these films remain two of my favorite comedies, as well as a great antidote to the rampant depression of our times.

There are also the TV shows. My favorite skit of theirs is definitely the philosophers' football match, tied with that one when a guy tries to report a burglary at a police station where each detective only responds to certain variations in voice register. I know it sounds weird on paper, but it is awesome: such an original idea, and brilliantly executed; creativity at its best! Check them out on Youtube, you won't be disappointed!

All of them went on to have amazing careers of their own. Terry Guilliam built a solid reputation as a versatile director with a vision. The others have remained actors, and have never ceased to amaze us with their talent.

One slight political note to those who do not like them because they find them offensive. I am among those who believe that subversion, in essence, is offensive. It has to be, otherwise it becomes an institution. The Pythons have never become an institution; they have become classic. Which is probably the greatest fate that could have befallen them. No wonder Cleese, Idle, Guilliam, etc, are always smiling during interviews. They can rightfully be proud.

Need to see MP and the Quest for the Holy Grail, haven't seen it. . .yet.

Did see MP Meaning of Life and can't get that song out of my head, "every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great, if a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate".

Favorite skit from the show- Upper Class Twit of the Year. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and see it, you'll laugh your head off!

Barbershopman

My sense of humor is extremely absurdist and surrealist due largely to the influence in my teenage years of Monty Python, The Marx Brothers, and Douglas Adams. As I got older I was able to explore those comedians who influenced the Pythons, Adams, etc -- chiefly Spike Milligan and the Goon Show who are even wilder than Python IMO (Python's stream of consciousness format was influenced very directly by Spike Milligan's "Q" TV series). I'm also a huge fan of Peter Cook's writing (One-legged man auditions for the role of Tarzan, The Frog and Peach Restaurant, etc). I'm pretty much addicted to British Comedy of the 1960's and 70's.

My favorite Python sketches are along the lines of the Penguin on the TV Set, The Fish Slapping Dance, Confuse-A-Cat, and in complete accord with Barbershopman -- Upper Class Twit of the Year. Favorite Python -- Graham Chapman

200413738_f9cfe52840.jpg

@Tenebrae

I'm not sure Python were that subversive. I mean their comedy was, for the most part, just plain silly! Don't get me wrong, it obviously took balls to make a film like Life of Brian when they did. And it's a film that has satirical elements, moments where you feel they probably are trying to communicate a serious message. But I don't, for instance, think that they chose the story of Jesus Christ as the subject for a film because of a burning desire to make a point about organized religion. I think they did it because it suited their style of comedy perfectly lol.

Most of their sketches followed a formula something along the lines of: Take an ostensibly serious scenario, inject an element of absurdity, ramp up level of absurdity as far as it will go (even to the point of breaking the fourth wall just to comment on how silly the sketch had become lol). With the story of Jesus Christ, they had their serious scenario, they had a story that everybody knew, so they didn't have to worry about creating an engaging plot (the bete noire of the balls-out comedy filmmaker, I think it's fair to say lol). They were like kids in a candy shop, I reckon! lol I also suspect that if you were to quote something like this

Simply put, they were subversion incarnate, the most shining example of the West's ability to self-criticism and British subtlety.

to Cleese or Palin, certainly, they'd look at you askance!

As far as British comedy goes, I think Beyond the Fringe, who were around about a decade before Python, were much more subversive. As were the comics of the "alternative comedy" scene who emerged about a decade later.

Just my opinion, obviously. :)

They're right up there with the Goons (Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and co.).

I discovered them quite by accident in a record store, where their second album was playing on the house sound system.

I LOVE Monty Python! There was a comic-con in my town here recently and there was a group of fellows dressed as the knights from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! They even had people behind them with coconuts clipping away. It was fantastic.

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back