• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Mexican Cuisine / Posole or Pozole recipe advice

chicago

I work with a lot of Mexicans and their food is growing on me. I've had posole a few times now and it's very comforting and reminds me of a lot of stews I had growing up but with a twist.

I want to make some tomorrow and I have all ingredients but the chiles and the pork. I'm wondering if there is a substitution for the dried chiles, maybe in powder or spice form? Any advice on the cooking temp / time / process of the pork would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Are you looking for a "what I've got on hand" kind of substitution?
I've had pretty good success with chili powder (although they usually have cumin and other spices in it) and a little cayenne for added heat; basically adding the cayenne to taste.
As for the pork, you'll want to sear it and simmer until it breaks down, maybe 3 hours?

As far as subbing the dried chilis, depends on the variety. Then again, one can always use what's available - ain't no hard and fast rules on it. As far as chili powder, try to locate the stuff from Hatch, New Mexico. It is most often pure chili powder; being in Arizona as you are, surely someplace local carries it. If not, it can be ordered on-line (like everything else). And, you can get it in various levels of hot.

So i got the ancho chiles and boiled em down, then blended that with an onion, some garlic, mexican oregano and some of the cooking liquid. Put that thru a strainer and thats gonna go into the broth later.

I ended up with carnitas meat so the pork is already cubed. Wondering if i can use a slow cooker at this point

So i got the ancho chiles and boiled em down, then blended that with an onion, some garlic, mexican oregano and some of the cooking liquid. Put that thru a strainer and thats gonna go into the broth later.

I ended up with carnitas meat so the pork is already cubed. Wondering if i can use a slow cooker at this point

Sure, just sear the meat first, toss everything in (except maybe the cilantro, if you're using it) and put it on High for about 6 hours.
Then set it on low, and toss in the cilantro for about a half hour.

(I always check the meat after about five hours, just to make sure it's not too broken down)

Damn...now I have to go get the stuff to make Kahlua pork....

Sure, just sear the meat first, toss everything in (except maybe the cilantro, if you're using it) and put it on High for about 6 hours.
Then set it on low, and toss in the cilantro for about a half hour.

(I always check the meat after about five hours, just to make sure it's not too broken down)

Thanks, ima have to remake the sauce cuz i saved the part i was supposed to throw away and threw out the part i was supposed to save lol

Thanks, ima have to remake the sauce cuz i saved the part i was supposed to throw away and threw out the part i was supposed to save lol

Ack. Yeah, it's a process. I remember once, I had the bright idea to add artichoke hearts to my chicken scampi recipe; the color leeched out and turned whole dish greenish-grey, like modeling clay.

I've never heard of this so I just looked it up. What kind of salt are you using? I see some people use Kosher... others Hawaiian Red Salt, Is HRS available in U.S grocery stores? I'll definetly be checking at mine.

I've never heard of this so I just looked it up. What kind of salt are you using? I see some people use Kosher... others Hawaiian Red Salt, Is HRS available in U.S grocery stores? I'll definetly be checking at mine.

I use Sea Salt, or Kosher if I don't have it on hand. A friend made me smoked Sea Salt once. Damn fine stuff.

Im not as picky with salt. You can get himalayan or hawaiian in specialty stores but not worth it imo

Ah, alright. Thank you both.

Smoked Sea Salt...? omg... *drools*

We used to work together at the salon I managed, so the trades have been going on for years. I made her preserved lemons and garlic confit for her birthday.

The posole is in the crock pot. Few more hours. Its smelling amazingggg

This might sound a little nutty, but it's a technique my mother showed me that's ridiculously simple and works really, really well. You slow cook a pork butt in ginger ale, in a slow cooker, or, even Dr. Pepper. Don't know it till you've tried it. Also, there's a North Carolina mustard-y, vinegar-y bbq sauce that goes great with it. You can get that recipe, it's pretty generic, just googling NC style mustard bbq sauce.

This might sound a little nutty, but it's a technique my mother showed me that's ridiculously simple and works really, really well. You slow cook a pork butt in ginger ale, in a slow cooker, or, even Dr. Pepper. Don't know it till you've tried it. Also, there's a North Carolina mustard-y, vinegar-y bbq sauce that goes great with it. You can get that recipe, it's pretty generic, just googling NC style mustard bbq sauce.

That's not so nutty. My relatives in Arkansas use Coca-Cola the same way.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back