• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Louisiana Sheriff in James Bond films dies.

paracarl44

Wielder of 100 Feathers
His name was Clifton James and he played Louisiana Sheriff J. W. Pepper who helped James Bond (played by Roger Moore) in "Live And Let Die" and "The Man With The Golden Gun".

Clifton James was a fine character actor. He was one whose face was widely known, even if you didn't know his name. RIP Mr. James, thank you for your service.

Exactly right. I recognize his face but I never knew his name. Rest In Peace, Mr. James.

He will always remain the Sheriff JW Pepper in James Bond for me! He is very much disliked by some of the franchise's fans, because he is kind of symbolic of the humor that was brought to it most notably by Roger Moore. However, a true fan knows that the silliness of the James Bond films started as early as the Sean Connery era, and that it can actually be enjoyable. I love the James Bond films for their camp just as much as for their grittiness; I'd even go as far as saying that it is the successful combination of the two that contributes to their success.

I rather liked Clifton James' portrayal of that rough, southern type, especially as a child when I discovered Live and Let Die. A caricature for sure, but a funny and rather sympathetic one. Also a great foil to Moore's aristocratic Britishness. I know he played more roles than this, but I am almost sure I never saw him anywhere else.

He will always remain the Sheriff JW Pepper in James Bond for me! He is very much disliked by some of the franchise's fans, because he is kind of symbolic of the humor that was brought to it most notably by Roger Moore. However, a true fan knows that the silliness of the James Bond films started as early as the Sean Connery era, and that it can actually be enjoyable. I love the James Bond films for their camp just as much as for their grittiness; I'd even go as far as saying that it is the successful combination of the two that contributes to their success.

I rather liked Clifton James' portrayal of that rough, southern type, especially as a child when I discovered Live and Let Die. A caricature for sure, but a funny and rather sympathetic one. Also a great foil to Moore's aristocratic Britishness. I know he played more roles than this, but I am almost sure I never saw him anywhere else.

You should listen to the James Bonding podcast. Their motto is essentially that James Bond is at it's best when the movies are at their worst. The Man with the Golden Gun is a terrible movie by any standard (I knew that when I was 10), but that's what makes it so fun to revisit. RIP

You should listen to the James Bonding podcast. Their motto is essentially that James Bond is at it's best when the movies are at their worst. The Man with the Golden Gun is a terrible movie by any standard (I knew that when I was 10), but that's what makes it so fun to revisit. RIP

Thanks for the suggestion! :bubble: I am not that much into the "best at their worst" theory though: some of the franchise's movies can be really bad, but they are not bad because of their silliness. I would name Quantum of Solace as hands down the worst in the whole series, and yet it is a pretty serious flick. Conversely, Man with a Golden Gun gets a lot of hate, but I think it is awesome: sublime landscapes, an excellent villain who has skills similar to Bond's (a delightful trope, used again in Goldeneye) and played by one of the classiest men ever Christopher Lee, a fast-paced plot... It also contains a rare scene wherein Bond roughs up a beautiful woman to make her talk; I would not call that "torture" like other fans have put it, but it is both surprisingly intense and very realistic. I always wondered whether the scene when Sean Connery water tortures Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment was a belated nod to that, but maybe I just think too much.

There are two things that are wrong in this movie, IMO: the infamous "racist" scene where Bond humiliates a young Thai boy (I wonder if Roger Moore is still able to travel to Thailand after that or if he has been banned for life!). It makes me feel uncomfortable every time I watch it, but it is a good thing they did not cut it from the DVD: it is a good reminder of the mentality of the seventies. The other thing that's wrong is more personal, but I think the girl who plays Bond Girl Holly Goodnight (Britt Ekland) is ugly as hell. Especially compared to the sublime Maud Adams, with her perfect cheekbones and hypnotic eyes. No wonder they called her back to play in another installment; this is to my knowledge the only woman to have played two different James Bond's love interests. I know, to each one their own taste, but still I deem Ekland the worst looking girl in a franchise otherwise populated by the most gorgeous women of their time :bubbleheart:

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back