• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Honest Question about Political Correctness...

In context there is nothing wrong with your title. We are adults here and understand satire and sarcasm.

PC can be run too far in the other direction and become censorship by public committee. I choose for that not to happen here.

Myriads

In context there is nothing wrong with your title. We are adults here and understand satire and sarcasm.

PC can be run too far in the other direction and become censorship by public committee. I choose for that not to happen here.

Myriads

Pretty much this. It's all about context.

I think as long as you give a little blurb in the beginning of such thread (this is a JOKE. It's all meant SOLELY in jest here!!) you've already mentioned it's not meant in sincerity in any sense, but if people still get butt-hurt, I'd say it's more because they're butt-hurt people. Thank you for taking the time and effort to create an independent thread to see if you've overstepped any lines, but... you can only control yourself. You do you and people either like it, or the don't. All you can do.

This.

I'd even go further and say that PC in certain parts of society is being used and abused as a particularly wicked form of social control. Art should not know such limitations, IMO. You should draw what you like, and however you like it; people are free to look away if they don't like it. I am glad to see that Myriads deems this place a safe space of creative expression.

Besides these days, practically anyone can find anything offensive. If we start listening to the snowflakes, there is no end to this kafkaian nightmare. I am sure that there are people out there who find the TMF offensive, yet here we are. The TV series Community used that trope to great comedic effect several times, especially that one when they tried to create a "non offensive" and "racially neutral" mascot for their university football team, with hilarious and slightly frightening results.

Thanks for the replies! You've all really helped to put my mind at ease. I know it is strange given the nature of our common "interest", but I still want to be sensitive to not overstep my own bounds. This forum is great, and I'm thankful for the community and the last thing I would want to do is let my ridiculous sense of humor ruin all of that for me.

I do appreciate the feedback! I'll make sure to give context to some of my more questionable material :).

People were complaining about your artwork?

For me, PC/feminism is irrelevant here---as long as the old maxim "between consenting adults" applies (as for your non-consensual, though, I grant an exception to the rule because some lees have said on this forum and elsewhere that part of what gets them off is when they are tied down forcibly and tickled----now of course, there's implied consent built into that statement, but the principle that part of the "thrill" for some is the anxiety of being tied down and tickled must be acknowledged.)

I think it's hard to have a conversation about "political correctness" because the term is problematic and a political football. Often (and I'm not directing this at the OP, whose cheerful and mature open-mindedness should be a model of behavior for us all) it's used as a kneejerk defense by people who'd prefer to be immune to others' critical responses to things they say or do. Too often the charge of political correctness is leveled as a weapon to invalidate other people's legitimate concerns about how they are being treated or portrayed.

That said, I think the arena of personal sexual fantasy should generally be free of those concerns. People can and do fantasize about the patriarchy, or slavery, or pretend-rape, or bestiality, or whatever, and should be able to indulge in those fantasies with other consenting adults without worrying that they're somehow inappropriate.

THAT said, it probably gets a little complicated when those fantasies are then turned into erotic artwork for others to consume. People who share those predilections will find the artwork arousing, while others who aren't wired to process the work as arousing might only see a celebration of patriarchy or slavery or rape or bestiality and understandably find it uncomfortable; in some cases that discomfort may give rise to commentary, and then you find yourself in an analytical (and possibly heated) dialogue that has nothing to do with the original intentions of the erotica, and that isn't particularly fun for anyone.

So it's probably wise to proceed with the understanding that imaginative works, even erotic ones that don't ring one's bell, should be approached with open-minded empathy and sensible tolerance; but also with the understanding that certain subjects in erotica (and elsewhere) are inevitably going to trigger decidedly un-erotic responses from certain viewers. Reasonable expectations from people on all sides of the conversation would make for a pleasanter and more productive experience for everyone. (Though I realize reason is in rather short supply all across the political spectrum nowadays.)

People were complaining about your artwork?

Oh no, I've received nothing but support for the most part. I just had a few PMs sent my way regarding the title of my latest post, one of which that stated "...I didn't know you were sexist.". I think that is what caught me off guard. I honestly don't believe half of the sarcastic crap that comes out of my mouth, I just say it because I have a dry sense of humor and I honestly don't consider that it might offend. That's obviously my issue, but if I truly was offending people I thought I should probably stop, and the best way to find out seemed to be just to ask :).

But then that led me me wondering how political correctness applies to our little fetish world and the super thin line between this and that.

And @OmahaTickler I was thinking along the same lines as you. I honestly do give thought to whether or not something is too dark, or non-con and violent feeling, but I very rarely thought to consider about being PC in this particular tickley world.

I think it's hard to have a conversation about "political correctness" because the term is problematic and a political football. Often (and I'm not directing this at the OP, whose cheerful and mature open-mindedness should be a model of behavior for us all) it's used as a kneejerk defense by people who'd prefer to be immune to others' critical responses to things they say or do. Too often the charge of political correctness is leveled as a weapon to invalidate other people's legitimate concerns about how they are being treated or portrayed.

That said, I think the arena of personal sexual fantasy should generally be free of those concerns. People can and do fantasize about the patriarchy, or slavery, or pretend-rape, or bestiality, or whatever, and should be able to indulge in those fantasies with other consenting adults without worrying that they're somehow inappropriate.

THAT said, it probably gets a little complicated when those fantasies are then turned into erotic artwork for others to consume. People who share those predilections will find the artwork arousing, while others who aren't wired to process the work as arousing might only see a celebration of patriarchy or slavery or rape or bestiality and understandably find it uncomfortable; in some cases that discomfort may give rise to commentary, and then you find yourself in an analytical (and possibly heated) dialogue that has nothing to do with the original intentions of the erotica, and that isn't particularly fun for anyone.

So it's probably wise to proceed with the understanding that imaginative works, even erotic ones that don't ring one's bell, should be approached with open-minded empathy and sensible tolerance; but also with the understanding that certain subjects in erotica (and elsewhere) are inevitably going to trigger decidedly un-erotic responses from certain viewers. Reasonable expectations from people on all sides of the conversation would make for a pleasanter and more productive experience for everyone. (Though I realize reason is in rather short supply all across the political spectrum nowadays.)

Ha! You posted this while I was typing a response to some of the other posts, but this was extremely well worded and I wanted to echo it. I do actually have a bit of "please everybody" syndrome, and I think that what you said is spot on about understanding that it won't appeal to literally everybody, especially considering the specific nature of the content. Alternatively, I would hope that everybody would have the same open-mindedness and bigger picture that you have, it would seem that isn't necessarily the case.

I should mention, however, that I've not found that to be the case here on this forum. I specifically decided to post this question here in this forum as opposed to sending out a message on DA or posting it in my journal over there because I've found that the people on this forum are of a high caliber and extremely helpful, and I knew I'd get on honest and well thought out answer. Thank you!!

The title is a turn off to say the least. Id just not look at your artwork

I figure that's what the vast majority of what people do here when the subject matter doesn't impress them (unless it's in violation of the rules).
The most complaining I've seen has been against */M material. Not my thing, personally, but, I don't take offense to it.

Yeah, I totally get that, and I'd do the same thing. I think going forward I won't be so needlessly polarizing. It's just not my bag of tea.

Yeah, I totally get that, and I'd do the same thing. I think going forward I won't be so needlessly polarizing. It's just not my bag of tea.

Was it really that polarizing? Some people are going to go for your stuff, some aren't.

Okay...I'll tell you what drew my apprehension on your image; the "guide to a happy life" part. Contextually in the image, this is accompanied by the husband sitting back, relaxed, enjoying a cup of coffee while his wife is in bondage.

I think the sort of visual feedback this gives us can be read as a standard trope of a man needing to restrain his wife to find solace. The reason this made me a bit uneasy isn't PC culture. Something as simple as a wider smile of the wife with the ballgag in would have sent a much stronger message involving the consentuality between the two and also showcased that the happy life aspect is shared...dom and sub, that they both really love it. Ad that's just off a greater smile for her. Or perhaps an affectionate look shared between the two.

I figure that's what the vast majority of what people do here when the subject matter doesn't impress them (unless it's in violation of the rules).
The most complaining I've seen has been against */M material. Not my thing, personally, but, I don't take offense to it.

Thats how i feel. I figured it was some tongue in cheek thing but didnt appeal to me based on the title so just easier to move on than click on and reply to something im not into

Okay...I'll tell you what drew my apprehension on your image; the "guide to a happy life" part. Contextually in the image, this is accompanied by the husband sitting back, relaxed, enjoying a cup of coffee while his wife is in bondage.

I think the sort of visual feedback this gives us can be read as a standard trope of a man needing to restrain his wife to find solace. The reason this made me a bit uneasy isn't PC culture. Something as simple as a wider smile of the wife with the ballgag in would have sent a much stronger message involving the consentuality between the two and also showcased that the happy life aspect is shared...dom and sub, that they both really love it. Ad that's just off a greater smile for her. Or perhaps an affectionate look shared between the two.

I think your dead on. I think what I'm going to do is pull it for now, and post it back up in a complete context. I'm uneasy with giving people the wrong idea, because (unlike my last one) this is supposed to be an ironic picture of consent and such, and I think your perception is spot on. In context, I think this will be a mute issue.

Also, your right about the tag. It was SUPPOSED to touch back on the "Happy wife, Happy life" adage, but I completely see your point.

Thanks everybody for your honest opinions! I don't want to belabor this, and I'm sure y'all are sick of seeing my name at the top of the discussion thread stuff. I do appreciate the input, and I've gained some valuable insight to how I should handle these things. Thanks again!

Door 44 Productions
What's New

4/15/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button under it to the lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back