• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

"Mr Met" Fired After Giving Fan "The Bird"

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Link should be the front page of.

www.abc7ny.com

In an incident that is being widely talked about..

"Mr Met" Who is the mascot of the New York Mets, one of the baseball teams in New York City.

Anyhow, the Mets employee who worked in the Mr Met costume, was fired last night, after giving a fan "The Finger" following the Mets loss last night.

The video has gone "Viral", so to speak.

While it's most unfortunate when any person loses their job, the employee's actions were highly inappropriate. The Mets response was appropriate under the circumstances.

Thoughts on this incident?

First of all, I don't like team mascots and I am glad that such nonsense doesn't exist at Dodger Stadium.

That being said, the Mets acted appropriately. The purpose of having those costumed mascots is to make the fans enjoy the game more. The actions of Mr. Met certainly didn't do that.

I agree, mils.

Some people on the sports websites, are asking exactly how the Mets determined that the gesture was "The Finger", since Mr Met has only four fingers, and not five.

I think.. that the Mets, the fan who Mr Met did the gesture to, and everyone else, knows the intent of what Mr Met was doing, and that is why it was considered to be "The Finger", and also why the person who wore the costume was fired.

In regard to what you said, mils, about not liking team mascots.

In the 1980s, the Braves used to have two different mascots, Chief "Noc -A Homa". (Dont know if I'm spelling his name right), and "Homer the Brave".

I agree with you that Mascots can, and often are, annoying, but I think the purpose for them is to "Rally the team", and get the fans into the game, etc.

Even with as poorly as they have played this season, I don't think that the Mets are going to not have Mr Met anymore. They have likely already fired the person who wore the costume, and gave the fan "The Finger", and they will merely find another person to wear the costume, and continue the character of Mr Met.

How can he have given someone the "middle finger" when he only has FOUR fingers? Explain that one to me.

Some people on the sports websites, are asking exactly how the Mets determined that the gesture was "The Finger", since Mr Met has only four fingers, and not five.

I think.. that the Mets, the fan who Mr Met did the gesture to, and everyone else, knows the intent of what Mr Met was doing, and that is why it was considered to be "The Finger", and also why the person who wore the costume was fired.

How can he have given someone the "middle finger" when he only has FOUR fingers? Explain that one to me.

Scott Simon raised the same question yesterday on NPR's Weekend Edition.

Forget whether the guy inside the costume deserved to be fired or whether there should be mascots at all; such a pressing matter of lexical semantics as the definite description of the term middle finger--reminiscent of Bertrand Russell's classic "the present king of France" problem--is exactly the kind of thing we pedants will chew on ad infinitum, like a stale wad of gum. And I'd never throw mine at anybody.

IMHO, somebody with only four fingers has two middle fingers, and either one alone will do to flip the bird. :p

I thought the whole thing was pretty funny. While the actions were obviously not appropriate and the Mets did the right thing in firing whoever wore the outfit, the whole thing got me laughing. In 2 weeks time we'll all forget it even happened.

I agree with Secretlee that it's actually kinda funny. He's probably not the first person to have the impulse to flip off rowdy fans, though I suppose most mascots have the self discipline not to do it. Still, I laughed when I saw this story!

There were a couple of incidents in recent years, in both the NBA, and major league baseball , where a player flipped off booing fans.

I can also remember reading about at least one or two situations in the 1970s, where a major league baseball player flipped off the crowd.

There were a couple of incidents in recent years, in both the NBA, and major league baseball , where a player flipped off booing fans.

I can also remember reading about at least one or two situations in the 1970s, where a major league baseball player flipped off the crowd.

It just happened again last night:

lwbqcu58hdnayijncodg.gif

Gotta grudgingly admire that nice, smooth, underhanded technique, though. Puig barely breaks his homerun stride.

And now it's not just mascots and players gesturally flipping people off, umpires are exhibiting such scandalous behavior too, at least verbally (understandable, they have to watch what they do with their hands).

Usually, players get fined, and sometimes even a suspension, for an obscene gesture to fans.

I've seen a player get anything from suspended one game, to as much as a week, for doing such.

I honestly don't care if the players or the mascots flip off booing or cursing audience members who are yelling obscenities. To me, fans are rowdy and obnoxious already (especially with beer in their systems) and it's only natural that players or staff are going to get angry back. Nobody likes to be booed or cursed at by a great deal of people.

Debonair, there is supposedly a "Ground Rules For Fans" code, at least in most MLB stadiums, where fans are not supposed to curse at players or get really rowdy.

It s up to the individual stadium of how strictly they want to enforce it. At some of the stadiums I've been to, I've heard things like
"The opposing team sucks", and even more explicit foul language

Usually, players get fined, and sometimes even a suspension, for an obscene gesture to fans.

I've seen a player get anything from suspended one game, to as much as a week, for doing such.

Turns out that MLB's let Yasiel off rather lightly, suspending him for only one game which amounts to just 4½ innings per offending finger (remember he actually committed a twofer, or at least it sure looks as though he intended to with his right hand also, if it wasn't a half-hearted attempt to partially conceal his clearly extended left middle).

Bet he's thinking he must have learned that old proverb wrong in his English class; it should have been "A bird in both hands is worth 'one' on the bench."

I agree that MLB didn't punish Puig appropriately for the gesture.

I personally would have given him a week. (Five to Seven Games).

The fans pay the players salaries, and to me, it was like flipping off the people who help provide Puig with his huge salary.

I agree that MLB didn't punish Puig appropriately for the gesture.

I personally would have given him a week. (Five to Seven Games).

The fans pay the players salaries, and to me, it was like flipping off the people who help provide Puig with his huge salary.

If would not be a good idea to fine a player more than 1 game for flipping off fans of the opposing team.
If they did it would only encourage fans of rival teams to act even more unruly towards the opposing teams players, trying to get them suspended.
He probably only got suspended because the game was on TV. He also played the rest of the game in which he flipped the bird.

Most games are on TV on some station. (Maybe that's just New York).

Here, the games are shown on either Sportschannel, or regular free TV, although mostly on Sportschannel.

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back