• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

1947 World Series game four all over again

milagros317

Verified
Here is a description of the bottom of the 9th inning from game four of the 1947 World Series, which was played on October 3, 1947:
The Yankees entered Game 4 aiming to take a three games to one lead in the best-of-seven series, and came one out away from doing this. Bill Bevens, the Yankee starter, pitched  8 2⁄3 innings without allowing a base hit. No pitcher had ever thrown a no-hitter in a major league World Series game.

Going into the bottom of the ninth inning, Bevens and his team led 2–1. Bevens got Bruce Edwards to fly out, and then walked Carl Furillo. Spider Jorgensen fouled out for the 2nd out. Al Gionfriddo pinch-ran for Furillo. Pete Reiser pinch-batted for pitcher Hugh Casey; during the at-bat, Gionfriddo stole second base. The Yankees then intentionally walked Reiser. This was criticized in hindsight for two reasons. One was the old axiom of never intentionally putting the winning run on base. The other is that Reiser was playing injured, and the odds of getting him out seemed reasonable. Eddie Miksis pinch-ran for Reiser. The Dodgers sent Cookie Lavagetto to pinch-bat for Eddie Stanky. Lavagetto lined a 1–0 fastball to right field. The ball ricocheted off of the right field barrier with a peculiar bounce and hit Yankee right fielder Tommy Henrich in the shoulder, as Gionfriddo and Miksis raced around to score. The play ended the no-hitter and won the game for the Dodgers.

The hit was the last of Lavagetto's career. Additionally, neither Lavagetto nor Bevens nor Gionfriddo would play in the majors again following this Series.

Last night, July 30, 2017, the Dodgers once again came up for their last at-bat trailing 2-1. (It was the bottom of the 11th inning, however.)

Once again, with a lone base runner on second base, the opposing manager decided on an intentional walk, even though that violated the old axiom in boldface above.

Once again, the Dodgers used a pinch hitter for the very next at-bat.

Once again, that pinch hitter ended the game with a walk-off double, scoring both base runners for a 3-2 Dodger victory.
The pinch hitter was a rookie, Kyle Farmer.

Here is a description of last night's game:
http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/245459750/dodgers-win-8th-in-row-on-farmers-hit-in-11th/

When will these opposing managers ever learn? :rowfull:

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the pinch hitter making his major league debut as well? Makes it even crazier!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the pinch hitter making his major league debut as well? Makes it even crazier!
Yes, you are correct. In fact, it makes a very nice symmetry:
Cookie Lavagetto's walk-off double was his LAST plate appearance in Major League Baseball.
Kyle Farmer's walk-off double was his FIRST plate appearance in Major League Baseball.

What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back