• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Did you think the 21st century was going to be like THIS?

The Internet

2nd Level Green Feather
in the late 20th century, the 2000s always felt like it was going to be "the future"! Like we were on the cusp of Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Turns out it's almost twenty years in and it feels like we've never left the 90s! Oh we have a few extra gadgets, we've shrunk the computer down to a hand-held phone and we have auto-tune to help non-singers sing......but never did I think we were going to be culturally treading water for 17 years!

Of course, in the EARLY 20th century, there was lots of new gadgets and inventions (phonograph and moving pictures) that people were enjoying, but culturally they were looking back (fondly) at the Victorian Era, and creating a nostalgia for "the old south" (whitewashed, of course!). The seeds to the 20th century were there, but the first 20 years were still very much tied to the previous century.

So maybe that's it. Maybe we just have to die off!

What did YOU think the 21st Century was going to be like? Flying cars? World peace? Hotels on the moon? Ticklish fembots?

in the late 20th century, the 2000s always felt like it was going to be "the future"! Like we were on the cusp of Star Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Turns out it's almost twenty years in and it feels like we've never left the 90s! Oh we have a few extra gadgets, we've shrunk the computer down to a hand-held phone and we have auto-tune to help non-singers sing......but never did I think we were going to be culturally treading water for 17 years!

Of course, in the EARLY 20th century, there was lots of new gadgets and inventions (phonograph and moving pictures) that people were enjoying, but culturally they were looking back (fondly) at the Victorian Era, and creating a nostalgia for "the old south" (whitewashed, of course!). The seeds to the 20th century were there, but the first 20 years were still very much tied to the previous century.

So maybe that's it. Maybe we just have to die off!

What did YOU think the 21st Century was going to be like? Flying cars? World peace? Hotels on the moon? Ticklish fembots?

As a teenager in the 1960's, I thought that by now we would have a large colony on the moon and a small one on Mars. Clearly that has not happened.

As far as your sentence that I have put into boldface, you are welcome to die off if you wish, but I will endeavor to stay healthy and live for a long time.

According to some, well before this new century is out, "superhuman" artificial intelligence will finally wrest control of this planet from our species--without even necessarily intending to--and that will "change everything." I just hope I finally find a lady 'lee partner before then.

As a teenager in the 1960's, I thought that by now we would have a large colony on the moon and a small one on Mars. Clearly that has not happened.

We all are on computers, at least that much happened.

As far as your sentence that I have put into boldface, you are welcome to die off if you wish, but I will endeavor to stay healthy and live for a long time.

So passive-aggressive, lol. Hey, didn't you block me? Why do you make a big deal about blocking people but then comment on their threads? Doesn't make sense! Nevermind.

Hey you just reminded me of Saul Kent! Cryogenics! Fascinating man! Maybe you should look into this, and perhaps become immortal Milagros! Then let's see how many posts you rack up! :D

(that last part has some interesting speculation on some future science)

I thought we would have colonies at least on the moon, if not on Mars, Also, where is our jet packs so we can fly around?

Stephen Hawking has even said that we need to be careful in terms of AI development to insure that we don't create something that will overtake us.

Yes, he and Elon Musk have been among the most notable AI Cassandras. But Max Tegmark has a little more rosy outlook.

i remember seeing an article over the last few years about how they're making these lifelike robots

Oh yes, the sexbot future is here (and here too).

but that they weren't able to make them ticklish (yet)! i was intrigued that they were even THINKING of such a thing!

Leave it to our fellow pervs to have already boarded that train.

But call me a Luddite or even a Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy, no ersatz female ticklee would ever do for me, no matter how deprived or desperate I got. I'm attracted to real-live human lady 'lees precisely because they want to be tickled, and desire, as distinct from exquisitely coded algorithms meant to accomplish a goal, is beyond the capability of even the kind of potential superintelligence Sam Harris is wringing his hands about.

I think that's at the heart (even if computers don't have one) of the philosophic and ethical debate here, and interesting that both Harris and Tegmark use the ants analogy; it's not that machines would ever "want" to wipe us out, it's just that if we're simply in the way of their best-laid logical plans, we wouldn't be able to rely on any programmed-in morality check to stop them.

Also, where is our jet packs so we can fly around?

Jet packs aren't feasible. The human body cannot endure the level of atmospheric pressure and stress that flying around at the speed of the Rockateer would cause. It's the same reason humans will never be able to run a super speed. What the Flash does in the cartoons/show would cause the skin of most humans to tear off.

Now, if we were to develop power armor with jet packs, that might be feasible but the armor would have to be light enough so that the jets could lift both the mechanized suit and the human inside it but protective enough to enable the human to withstand the pressure and stress of flight.

Leave it to our fellow pervs to have already boarded that train.

But call me a Luddite or even a Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy, no ersatz female ticklee would ever do for me, no matter how deprived or desperate I got. I'm attracted to real-live human lady 'lees precisely because they want to be tickled, and desire, as distinct from exquisitely coded algorithms meant to accomplish a goal, is beyond the capability of even the kind of potential superintelligence Sam Harris is wringing his hands about.

Me too. I could never find sexual satisfaction with a robotic partner, no matter how life-like it was.

I think that's at the heart (even if computers don't have one) of the philosophic and ethical debate here, and interesting that both Harris and Tegmark use the ants analogy; it's not that machines would ever "want" to wipe us out, it's just that if we're simply in the way of their best-laid logical plans, we wouldn't be able to rely on any programmed-in morality check to stop them.

A robotic super intelligence would probably see us as misbehaving children and would take away our power of choice in order to teach us how to act more responsibly. At least that's how I feel.

Well, just as I am born yesterday after all, might as well just die off ---> but only if I could become a vampire.

Someday in the near future we will have to return to the Moon.

I don't wanna brag, but there one thing I anticipated correctly: the era of mass terrorism. I owe it to the insane amount of time I spent in the 90's reading Tom Clancy and discussing with my Israeli friends.

Otherwise, it is funny to re-read William Gibson or Philip K Dick nowadays. Funny in a dark way, that is: the world has turned to even worse than they had anticipated, and that is no small feat. Bravo mankind! :sowrong:

Someday in the near future we will have to return to the Moon.

Cool, you'll meet my Chinese pals there! Hell, I even volunteer to act an an interpreter ;)

I thought we might all be wearing matching space suits with jet packs. But Netflix and smart phones are pretty cool too

I'm not old enough to remember even much of the 90s, but when I first watched Back To The Future II in the...late 2000s ish, I looked forward to 2015 to see if we'd actually have hoverboards and flying cars finally. :D Alas, none of that yet. The movie Ex Machina though gives a frightening look into tomorrow's AI, how it'll be capable of taking over on its own.

I thought we might all be wearing matching space suits with jet packs.

Space suits already have jet packs, well, their actually maneuvering jets that use air. Using an actual jet engine in space via astronaut's space suit would be, er, problematic.

I'm not old enough to remember even much of the 90s, but when I first watched Back To The Future II in the...late 2000s ish, I looked forward to 2015 to see if we'd actually have hoverboards and flying cars finally. Alas, none of that yet

We do have flying cars. Their called planes...and nobody wants regular drivers behind the wheel...for obvious reasons. :D

We do have flying cars. Their called planes...and nobody wants regular drivers behind the wheel...for obvious reasons. :D

Planes don’t count because they came around the same time as cars. :p I guess nobody’s yet found a way to make jet engines small and efficient.

If we had flying cars... Can you imagine the mess in terms of traffic, crashes, DUI and stuff? Our cities would look like they had been bombed, lol :p

If we had flying cars... Can you imagine the mess in terms of traffic, crashes, DUI and stuff? Our cities would look like they had been bombed, lol

Exactly. I think the next centure will be more like the movie Elysium unfortunate, with the rich living in orbital colonies and ruling the rest of mankind through robot enforcers on a polluted, resource drained, overpopulated Earth. I hope it doesn't come to that mind you but everything I've seen so far points to it coming about.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back