• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Happy Birthday Michael Myers!

Tenebrae

Verified
Hello!

It's gonna be Halloween soon, and I just found out that Brandon Hardesty has committed another tribute to a cult film character. Today, Oct 19th, the terrifying and vaguely supernatural serial killer known as Michael Myers was born.

I have never been a fan of the Slasher movie genre. I prefer by far the gothic horror of the 60's (Christopher Lee, Vincent Price...) and the torture movies of the 70's (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Ilsa...). However, John Carpenter is a gifted auteur, who has offered us some real masterpieces (The Thing, Fog, They Live...), commendable efforts (Prince of Darkness, the Escape From series...) and a few "meh" flicks such as Ghosts of Mars.

Halloween, IMO belongs to the middle category. It is amazingly suspenseful and the music is fantastic. It also launched the career of Jamie Lee Curtis, an actual supernatural being who seems to become more beautiful the older she gets (I'd love to tickle her BTW :blush:). But more than anything else, it created a horror sub-genre, which although I find extremely dull, has undeniably had an enormous impact in the history of cinema. Without Halloween, I doubt there would have been Friday the 13th, and countless imitations. Despite the inherent flaws of the genre, Halloween is probably the best in its category.

The fans are probably gonna murder me, but I rather liked the remakes by Rob Zombie. Although less suspenseful, they feature two amazing actors (Brad Dourif and Malcolm MacDowell) and they compensate their lack of atmosphere by a ramped-up sadism which, I must confess, I found delightfully exciting. Seeing the various characters getting stabbed, often across the face, made to scream, beg and die in visibly a lot of pain gave those films a much-needed boost of visceral entertainment. The child actor Daeg Faerch (how the hell am I supposed to pronounce that? If someone wants to help.. :rolleyes:) was terrible, though.

So happy birthday Michael Myers!

The_Slashers_11_by_crashdummie.jpg

Last edited:
To me John Carpenter's most brilliant success was "The Thing". One of the last few movies to utilize claymation and puppeteering.

To me John Carpenter's most brilliant success was "The Thing". One of the last few movies to utilize claymation and puppeteering.

I agree with you: The Thing was incredible! It is probably my favorite Carpenter film. There is an amazing suspense in this one, and the titular monster is such an excellent concept! It swept me off my feet, and I still enjoy watching it from time to time. It was also one of the first movies I watched with the woman who is now my wife, early in our relationship, so it is kind of special for us as well :bubbleheart:

I like The Fog too: sexy chain-smoking Adrienne Barbeau, with her low voice left a deep impression on me when I was a teen :wub:

I think I read somewhere that the last movie to utilize the techniques you mentioned (or at least the last of that "era" if there ever was one) was Robocop 2.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back