• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Saturday is Veterans Day.

Bugman

Verified
My humble thanks and utmost gratitude to all veterans past and present who served our country with honor. :usa:

Agree with ya Bugman. Never had to serve, though I could have volunteered. Our vets don't get the respect now that they once had.

The place of veterans in any given society is an utmost interesting subject of research. It becomes all the more interesting in a country like America which is both the most advanced military nation and also in a near-constant state of war.

I think the image of veterans has fluctuated a lot. In America, the lowest point was probably during the 1960's and 1970's, when the opposition to the Vietnam War and the shame felt by the authorities for losing it coalesced into a violent rejection. I can only imagine how traumatizing it must have been for these men who had sacrificed so much to return home only to be called rapists and murderers. However, since the 1980's, through the works of prominent scholars, objective journalists, and fictions such as First Blood and The Hanoi Hilton, the perception has shifted towards a more positive outlook on those brave men's service to their country.

I would like, in their honor, to paste here a quote from the aforementioned movie First Blood, which summarizes well the extent of the trauma the veterans returning from Vietnam had to deal with:

Trautman: You did everything to make this private war happen. You've done enough damage. This mission is over, Rambo. Do you understand me? This mission is over! Look at them out there! Look at them! If you won't end this now, they will kill you. Is that what you want? It's over Johnny. It's over!

Rambo: Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me baby killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me, huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!

Trautman: It was a bad time for everyone, Rambo. It's all in the past now.

Rambo: For *you*! For me civilian life is nothing! In the field we had a code of honor, you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's nothing!

Trautman: You're the last of an elite group, don't end it like this.

Rambo: Back there I could fly a gunship, I could drive a tank, I was in charge of million dollar equipment, back here I can't even hold a job *parking cars*!

I'll definitely be thinking about them this Sunday. :usa:

Last edited:
Honoring my uncle who passed away this past summer. He served on the USS Ranger during the Vietnam Conflict.

His uncle died with honor on the black sands of Iwo Jima in 1945, the same unit that raised the flag on Surabachi. They're meeting each other for the first time.

lflage.gif

Animation2.gif

Thanks for the reminder, Bugman. :usa:
It is actually Saturday, 11/11, as Paracarl noted.

I am old enough to remember when it was called Armistice Day, being the actual anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I, November 11, 1918.

I am old enough to remember when it was called Armistice Day, being the actual anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I, November 11, 1918.

We still call it like that in France.

Lol I thought you guys celebrated the Armistice on Saturday and you additionally had Vets day on Sunday :p

I've had family members who served in the military years ago and some even saw action. Uncles, my father (all dead), my eldest brother, my niece's husband and his father. I just want to thank them and all of the other veterans both living and dead who put they're lives on the line to defend our freedom and the freedom of others. Thank you.

This time of year is always poignant in the UK. The Festival of Remembrance, on Saturday night at the Royal Albert Hall, and on Remembrance Sunday, the commemoration at the Cenotaph in London. Very powerful,

Recently, I read the story of Rudyard Kipling's son, John, who died on the battlefield, aged 18, in World War One. It was incredibly moving, to think of a young man who laid down his life, along with countless others. It might've been one hundred years ago, but I still find it heartbreaking.

IMG_0483.png

Lest we forget.

As a veteran, I'd like to say thanks to you for paying attention.

I am a Veteran and I have a ceremony to attend today and one at our Town Square tomorrow.:usa:

Don't forget that veterans can receive FREE MEALS at various locations on Veterans Day.

Just to give some perspective...

The first post in this thread was about 12 hours ago. According to statistics, we can be reasonably certain that around 10 veterans have committed suicide since then.

It's Remembrance Day here tomorrow and back in Scotland. I lost family members during both WWI and WWII, and also a cousin in Afghanistan. Lest we forget.

God bless our Veterans. They deserve the salute, respect, and prestige associated with the honor. These individuals risk their own life so that we can enjoy the way of life we do today. THANK YOU!

As a veteran, I'd like to say thanks to you for paying attention.

Yeah guys, my bad. I'll have it fixed asap. Color me embarrassed. :eek:

Does it really matter which day it is? They deserve our respect each and every day, not just one out of the year.

I have a brother that served in peacetime and two cousins who were active in both Iraq and Afghanistan. To them and all of our veterans, I'd like to wish a most sincere Veterans' Day and say thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Barbershopman

My Grandma tells a story about my great Grandma talking about waiting for the boys to finally come home, but she said the boys never came home, they were changed forever and were not boys anymore.

Last edited:
*Holds both my thumbs* For the men & Women of the armed forces who served, or are serving Thank you so much for your sacrifice, and courage.

I attended a local Remembrance Day parade and service this morning and what I found particularly moving was viewing the wreaths and crosses laid by the public and seeing so many vivid colour photographs of recently lost service men and women standing alongside the grainy black and white photos from wars past. War seems to endure indefinitely and, through war and other threats to society, lives will continue to be lost. We will remember them all.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back