• >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond (film thread)

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
Hello, hello.

I guess you could call this a three-pronged thread. lol

Prong 1: Anybody seen/heard about/interested in the documentary named in the thread title? For anybody who doesn’t know, it’s a documentary about Jim Carrey’s performance in Man on the Moon (biopic of American comedian Andy Kaufman). I have seen interviews over the years in which Carrey talks about having given himself up completely to the part… And I wasn’t really sure what that meant. Apparently it meant staying in character(s) on set and causing a small amount of mayhem lol. I understand it was released on Netflix the other day - I don’t have a Netflix account.

Prong 2: Anybody else a fan of Man on the Moon? Loved that film as a teenager. The character of Tony Clifton is frickin’ hilarious!

Prong 3: Any opinions on this idea of an actor staying in character on set, even when the cameras aren’t rolling? To me it just seems unnecessary and self-indulgent. I mean, there’s method acting and then there’s being a pretentious nitwit lol. But then, I don’t know anything about acting, so maybe it’s a case of each to their own…?

Cheeyers! :)

I've seen the movie, but I haven't seen the documentary. I thought the movie was good for what it was, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to recommend it to someone. Carrey's performance was definitely very impressive; he reminded me a little of Val Kilmer in The Doors, because in both movies I kept forgetting that it was an actor, not the actual person being portrayed.

As for staying in character off camera - if the results are worth the effort, then whatever it takes to get it on the screen is probably the right thing to do.

So if it's Dustin Hoffman, and the result is Rain Man, then fine - he did what he felt like he needed to do in order to give the best performance he was capable of. But if it's Jared Leto hamming it up as the joker for ten minutes in the Suicide Squad, insisting on being in character all the time and mailing dead rats to his cast mates, I can imagine it getting exhausting fast.

On the other other hand, Heath Ledger went through a similar process for his joker and the results seem to have justified the effort.

Two example come to mind - in an interview, Robert DeNiro was asked what he thought about that kind of method acting, and he said what I said above, which is how I formed my own opinion. I thought he made a lot of sense, in that ultimately the results are what matter. If you have a complicated role in a movie of some substance, and you think that level of immersion is what it's going to take in order for you to sustain your performance over the course of a 60-90 day film shoot, then so be it.

But on the other hand, Dustin Hoffman was in a movie with, I think, Laurence Olivier, and Hoffman had gone without sleep for two days in order to portray his character as exhausted and strung-out. Olivier heard the story and said something along the lines of "Did it ever occur to you to just act tired?"

Yeah… I mean I wouldn’t say Man on the Moon was an amazing film, but I suppose it was the perfect film for my tastes at that time. I was a huge Jim Carrey fan anyway, and learning about this other comedian through his portrayal felt pretty special.

Thing is, how does one know whether an actor couldn’t have given just as good a performance if they’d have, you know, behaved like a normal human being on set? lol Would the viewer notice any difference? Who knows. Just thinking about it on a practical level, there are so many people working on a film set… Must make things awkward for them if the “star” stays in character. Mind, I dare say they get used to seeing/dealing with eccentric behaviour. lol

Yeah, I’ve heard of that story concerning Hoffman and Olivier. “Why not try acting?” lol I think Hoffman has said that Olivier was only jesting and that it wasn’t meant as a withering put-down. Mind, he would say that! lol

What's New

3/18/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest fetish clip selection!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back