• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Has Anyone Noticed How Many "Suspicious Sites" There Are?

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
I always use Google Chrome when I'm online.

I gave up Internet Explorer many years ago.

For safety reasons, most important, and I also don't like the lettering.

As I'm surfing online.

I will do searches, and get

"Safe Site" with a green mark next to it.

"Suspicious Site" with a yellow mark next to it.

Once or twice. I saw. a site listing with a red mark next to it., which said.

"Dangerous or malware site".

I've also gotten a few messages which claim that Google Chrome really is not that safe.

I believe that these listings are from a program called Webroot, that I downloaded to my computer a while ago.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thoughts?

WOT (Web Of Trust) is considered to be a bad one because it's based on user rating which can easily be manipulated by trolls and other baddies online who just want to bash a place and I have been to websites that were completely harmless that had yellow or red rings next to them just because they were controversial sites like everything to personal beliefs to hosting roms. I think that the best thing to do is some research to find a reputable rating system that can't be easily taken over by groups, pushing their own point of view.

I once got what purported to be an error message from Microsoft, toll-free number and all.

I was using a Linux machine at the time.

I wouldn't have called that "customer service" number in any case. That's the oldest trick in the book.

I can't say I have from my home computer, but at work the antivirus/security software they use tries to assign reputation scores to sites based on reports from users, infected hosts lists, and possibly by their own scans. I've been hearing a good bit about vulnerabilities in web hosting platforms, and forum software that are frequently abused to host malicious software and/or phishing pages, it's possible that you're seeing the aftermath.

Most likely those messages about Google Chrome not being safe are either malicious advertisements or part of Microsoft's advertising strategy to promote Edge (though the ads I've seen from them primarily promote their approaches to protect users against phishing attacks). Just as reassurance, the big three browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and IE/Edge) are are safe to use so long as you keep them up to date. They all have taken strides to add security sandboxes that make it harder to exploit their flaws to abuse your computer.

What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back