• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The annoying world of star wars dvd's

Mrcool

4th Level Orange Feather
I love star wars, I have loved the movies since there inceptions, yeah I saw the first star wars way back in 1977 and saw each film as they came out in theaters as they came out up to the most recent one the last jedi ( which I,thought was pretty alright ) hell I have went to see the special edition versions that came back to theaters in 97.
So yeah I have a love with star wars that will never die....although the dvds can fucking die.
You know there is a problem when there are tons of releases of the same three films that each are different.
Now the timeline of these damn dvd's are confusing enough so me listing the differences per dvd would be over kill ( don't feel sad as I plan on making a thread about the changes later ).
We start in the year 2004 in which the star wars films were first released.
These dvd's are the special editions with some more changes. Aside from the orginal releases, these are probably the best version you can get. The changes while big At least look better then those used in the 97 special edition.
It should be noted that like the 97 vhs tapes there exists two versions.
One gold (pan and scan) and one silver ( wide screen )
Aside from that stupid color bullshit, it made sense for the time.
Most VHS tapes where in Pan and scan because it both fit the TV's at the time and was a cheap transfer, and widescreen tv's were gaining a bit of popularity so it made sense to release the two versions.
But this was 2004 alot of people had wide screen tv's at this point and even if they didn't even the most basic of dvd simply had the option on the disc for wide and full screen, so releasing them this way along with the stupid color problem boogles the mind.
Now just barely a year later the set was rereleased but this time with a new cover ( same bullshit with the silver and gold although it is toned down ) and they removed the 4th disc, why I don't know.
Yet again not even a year later the trilogy was rereleased but this time the dvds had a second disc.
This disc was what they considered the "unaltered versions" which is complete bullshit, sure it does not have a lot of the things added in the 97 version.
But it has two major problems
1 is that it takes the masters from the 93 laserdisc version
Which once converted to dvd squeezes the fucking screen and looks like shit
The 2nd is that it is a complete lie, the 93 version had numerous audio and visual tweaks that while not to the level of the special edition versions. Still are different enough that calling it the "unaltered version" is a complete fucking lie.
So yeah the 2006 version is not worth your time or money
In 2008 they once again rereleased the 2004 dvds with the 2006 bonus disc, not much to say here
Surprisingly no new trilogy dvds were released until 2013 and guess what ITS NOT THE 2004 VERSION, praise the fucking gods that over a 9 year period the same fucking dvd was rereleased 4 fucking times. They added one new bonus feature which a newly recorded documentary with George Lucas and some of the cast and crew, its not much but its better then them releasing the 2004 version again
Ending off this cascade of dvds is the 2015 release of the movies which included both a blu Ray and dvd disc ( for my own sanity I only decided to talk about the dvd releases ) its basically the same thing as the 2013 version but with snazzy steelbook casing.

And that my friends is all of the releases of those dvds 6 FUCKING DVDS of the same goddamn film over a time span of 11 years. That is just fucking nuts to me. To say your options are plentiful is bullshit though since 4 of them are the same goddamn dvd.
I would give you a recommendation but considering most of these dvds are the same thing is just have to go off the goddamn box.
In that case I'd go with the 2005 version it looks the coolest out of the bunch and the silver and gold bullshit is downplayed.
I'm going to go take a nap, Mr.cool out

As for me, I wish to high holy hell I could get the 2011 DVD release of the original trilogy but with the following scenes edited out:

• Han Solo's and Chewbacca's torture scenes on Cloud City from Empire Strikes Back.
  • The Droid Torture Scene at Jabba's Palace from Return of the Jedi.
  • Vader's stupid memory flash back to Padme that Lucas added when Luke is being Force Lightning by Palpatine on the Death Star.
  • Vader's stupid "NOOOOO" that he utters before he saves Luke from Palpatine.
Unfortunately, I have utterly no idea on how to go about doing that. Oh well. :(

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back