• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Dungeon & Dragons question

tickle gamer

3rd Level Red Feather
Hi All! Sorry I've not been posting much lately. I have been using an Amazon tablet as for a few months now, just don't feel like sitting in my computer chair. Been having some lower back and hip trouble.

I have been trying to make myself a D&D Character, but I'm a total nob at it. I have a players hand book (for 4e), but there are still some things I don't get.

Right now I'm having trouble with the skills. How do I figure out the numbers?

I read the skills part of the book, all it said was skills are based on attributes, but it didn't say how.

I thought maybe it ment something like this: say you have a 5 base DEX attribute and a +2 racial bonus. Does that mean you have a 7 to acrobatics?

in 4e Classes tell you how many skills you can be trained in, and provides a list for you to choose from. (for example, rogue starts with stealth and thievery as trained shills, then allow you to choose 4 more skills from the list provided.) Each skill you are trained in gives a +5 bonus. In your example, a character with a DEX modifier of 5, a +2 racial bonus, and is trained in Acrobatics would have a 12 in that skill.

basically, trained skills give you a +5, untrained skills do not.

Oh. So,I was right in thinking you add the base and mods in the attributes to get the skill total. Have I got that right?

And, of course, add a +5 for training ( if is a trained skill)

Thank for the help

Hmmm...have you tried 5th Edition D&D and/or Pathfinder RPG yet?

I'd recommend those over 4th Edition D&D ANY DAY of the week.

I second that recommendation. I've only played 5e twice, but I've played Pathfinder more times that I can remember and character generation was pretty easy (even if there are many, many choices). 5e simplifies the choices a bit.

I haven't had a chance to play 5E but I've immersed myself in it to a certain extent - I'm moderately active on /R/DND and I wrote a small starting area for dmsguild.com. I've kept up with every edition since the original paper booklets and I definitely recommend it over any other version because it seems like they finally found the exact-right focus for it - storytelling. The rules are simplified and streamlined (not to an annoying degree) because they figured out that the point is for the people around the table to create a story, not to "win" a bunch of dice rolls.

In my opinion at least :)

The rules are simplified and streamlined (not to an annoying degree) because they figured out that the point is for the people around the table to create a story, not to "win" a bunch of dice rolls.
)

Very much agreed. If you're not having fun at the end of the day, you're doing it wrong.

3.5 or Pathfinder is/ are the way to go. I have not played 5th yet but can say from 39 years of gaming that 3.5 system is the best (if played with a crew who appreciate old School and not dice crunchers)

Jeff said something essential: it's not about the rule set. It's all about the story, nothing but the story. Also, the humor and the interaction between players; years later, THAT makes the most memorable moments, the ones you bring up time and time again.

That said, I sorta have a fetish for gaming systems. I like the intellectual game that sort of sets up in your brain while playing with them. I enjoy creating my own rules, and see how players appropriate their characters through the numbers, gear and heroic deeds whose success or failure hang on the roll of a few dice. For that, 3.5 was really well thought-out. Surprisingly easy to port to other settings too; I've played Mongoose's adaptations of Babylon 5 and Starship Troopers, also Star Wars D20; all run very well. I also privately developed a Rainbow Six version for a friend who's ex-military and is, like me, an avid Tom Clancy fan.

Last edited:
Having played 1e and adnd, still have to say 5e is best, 3.5 is definitely another notable, but I see it as like the windows 7 to the 5e windows 10, awesome for the fans but improved upon by 5th.

I do however play the crap out of 5th so I might be biased lol

My current fav character is an eladrin swashbuckler from the feywild who had a planaar accident to end up on the prime material and as a side effect has lost control of his shifting seasons cantrip (random roll after each long rest) I developed a different personality for each aspect as well as voice and all, it's quite fun!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Story is definitely why DnD exists in the first place, rules are just a framework to take a level beyond 'playing pretend' and honestly sort of 'ports in' multiplayer for playing pretend, to phrase it in a gamer way, but rules exist to facilitate the story which is tantamount imo

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

For first time players I 100% recommend 5E but for more of a challenge 3.5 feels much more RP orientated and more in depth. I love the underdark tales of 3.5 they are so much more fun. But to start and make life easier DEF do 5E for character creation. 4E is a disaster to play or build in. Also in 5E Clerics are broken. FYI. They do a LOT for low level campaigns lol

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the 5e book. Since starting this post I've been hitting up my local board and role-playing game stores, found out some more about the game (like the miniature figures are really expensive, for what they are), but still can't find people to play it with.

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the 5e book. Since starting this post I've been hitting up my local board and role-playing game stores, found out some more about the game (like the miniature figures are really expensive, for what they are), but still can't find people to play it with.

I know this is way late, but there are several options around miniatures:
1) Do it old school style (paper and pencil, no minis, just describe what is seen)
2) Get a "pawn box" - just a lot of cardboard cutouts with plastic bases that you can swap out
3) Get a bunch of used ones in bulk on ebay or some such, and each mini can represent whatever creature you want. We often put out a mini to represent a creature, but say "it doesn't look like this, though".

As far as finding people to play with, I suggest meetup.com - it's a great place to connect with people on hobby interests, and you can search in your location. The regular group I play with now found each other on that site.

Just some food for thought.

2nd edition is the only edition. All else is dross.

Foolish mortals!

I will never, ever forgive 3 for taking away my ranger's naturally rolled animal follower and replacing him with.... a bugbear. A bugbear! Humph!!

Not to hijack this thread (although I am, apparently), but I'm curious to see if any of you have played a DnD campaign that included tickling or other kink. I've always wanted to play with tickling included in some sort of way, but the people with whom I used to play didn't really share my kink, ahem. I'm thinking of posting something here or on Fetlife to see if there might be any interest in doing this with an online group.

2nd edition is the only edition. All else is dross.

Foolish mortals!

I will never, ever forgive 3 for taking away my ranger's naturally rolled animal follower and replacing him with.... a bugbear. A bugbear! Humph!!

LOL, well, to be fair Biscuit, 5th Edition and Pathfinder have companions for Druids and Rangers that are specifically animals (that grow more powerful as you grow in level).

I don't think you can get a Bug Bear companion in either 5e or Pathfinder unless you take the Leadership feat or some other option that allows for Followers (aka not companions).

Though I was a fan of 2nd Edition AD&D myself. Specifically 2nd Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms. :D

Not to hijack this thread (although I am, apparently), but I'm curious to see if any of you have played a DnD campaign that included tickling or other kink. I've always wanted to play with tickling included in some sort of way, but the people with whom I used to play didn't really share my kink, ahem. I'm thinking of posting something here or on Fetlife to see if there might be any interest in doing this with an online group.

Hmmm...well my fiance and I were part of a D&D Campaign were a Sorceress used tickling as a form of interrogation. That was an...interesting experience.

One of our friends came up with a custom Bind and Gag spell for Wizards/Sorcerers/Warlocks. I'll have to see if I can track it down again. It's in my Box of Many Things. ;)

Hmmm...well my fiance and I were part of a D&D Campaign were a Sorceress used tickling as a form of interrogation. That was an...interesting experience.

One of our friends came up with a custom Bind and Gag spell for Wizards/Sorcerers/Warlocks. I'll have to see if I can track it down again. It's in my Box of Many Things. ;)

I would like to see it! :D

I'd be interested in something like that, in theory. Now is probably not the time to add another project/hobby to my to-do list, though.

As a further hijacking from your hijacking, I am working on a text-based tickling computer game (you can playtest it now) that uses D&D 5E as a basis for most of the game mechanics. So that's probably the closest that I've personally come to a D&D game with tickling.

What's New

4/16/2024
Clips4Sale is the webs largest site to buy fetish clips! Visit today.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back